• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I got a beta code without playing the facebook game or pre-ordering. I feel so special!

Same with me. I must have gotten a code from my beta application a year ago or something.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't even remember a beta application. And even if I did fill it out, my computer would have been really crappy back when I filled it out.

There wasn't an application, as much as there was just a field to enter you email address.

derFeef

This game has a long time coming, they need to deliver with this public beta, for so many reasons.

edit: if you have a gamespot account they are giving away keys! fast!
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/ (got one, heh, just in case).

edit2: Article about the beta weekend is now up:
http://thesecretworld.com/news/beta_weekend_1_kingsmouth_calling

Looks like we can only explore the first area and the Templar starter experience (which is the superiour one, anyway :p)

Thanks for the heads up, got a key from GS.
Now, i have a preorder actually, so sooner or later i'll get another beta key, but i decided to get the key from GS as the website i preordered from didn't send any and i want to be sure that i get it before the weekend starts.

Now... if i get the key from that website will i be able to upgrade my beta account? The GS one doesn't let you reserve your name

derFeef

If you pre-ordered you should have already access to the weekends. If the download does not appear on your account site then you may have a bug some mentioned on the forums. I think you need to go to "upgrade account" and then just back or something like that - I will search on the forums.

thetrin

Oh god dammit. I was hoping the keys they were giving out at Gamespot would be for the closed beta, so my roommate could play with me. :\

This game has a long time coming, they need to deliver with this public beta, for so many reasons.

edit: if you have a gamespot account they are giving away keys! fast!
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/ (got one, heh, just in case).

edit2: Article about the beta weekend is now up:
http://thesecretworld.com/news/beta_weekend_1_kingsmouth_calling

Looks like we can only explore the first area and the Templar starter experience (which is the superiour one, anyway :p)

Thanks for that, managed to get a key.

Anyone know how big the total download size is?

If you pre-ordered you should have already access to the weekends

Yep, but the website i preordered from hasn't sent any key yet.

In the meanwhile, forgetting that i would get a key to the beta by preordering the game (which i did some time ago), i got another key from gamespot and activated a weekend beta account with that, but infos on my account page say that with the gamespot key i can just access this weekend's beta (i mean, that maybe i'll be able to access the next beta tests, if there will be any), whereas with a preorder key i can access all the weekends betas plus i can reserve a character's name.

That's why i'm wondering if i can "upgrade" my account for the beta from a GS-key to a Preorder key one.

derFeef

Yep, but the website i preordered from hasn't sent any key yet.

In the meanwhile, forgetting that i would get a key to the beta by preordering the game (which i did some time ago), i got another key from gamespot and activated a weekend beta account with that, but infos on my account page say that with the gamespot key i can just access this weekend's beta (i mean, that maybe i'll be able to access the next beta tests, if there will be any), whereas with a preorder key i can access all the weekends betas plus i can reserve a character's name.

That's why i'm wondering if i can "upgrade" my account for the beta from a GS-key to a Preorder key one.

I have stacked several "account statuses" on my TSW account so I guess it's no problem - if you are unsure contact the CM, maybe they can help you.
ninja edit: as with the beta weekends, only the pre-order grants access to all of them, gamespot only this weekend.
My guess is there will be other sites giving out keys for the other weekends.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! I got into this weekend's beta through the Gamestop promotion thing.

If it's any good, I'll probably end up pre-ordering to get into the rest of the beta weekends.

syko de4d

i hope it will be good and will get a hype like Rift get it on the Beta Weekends.
No one has addressed Rift but after the Beta Weekends there was a mega hype and bäm 100servers at start.
I wish TSW the same but with a better game, Rift was boring after 1month :D

No Idea how successful a game could be today where u need to listen and read everything to do a quest and search in the Web to solve riddles or find crafting recipe.

I have stacked several "account statuses" on my TSW account so I guess it's no problem - if you are unsure contact the CM, maybe they can help you.
ninja edit: as with the beta weekends, only the pre-order grants access to all of them, gamespot only this weekend.
My guess is there will be other sites giving out keys for the other weekends.

Aaaah ok. I'll see what happens next week then. I guess i'll just use the new key then , that will hopefully come after this

what's wrong with most websites not sending the keys, i wonder

No Idea how successful a game could be today where u need to listen and read everything to do a quest and search in the Web to solve riddles or find crafting recipe.

Let's make this happen guys. Let's shake the market.
If it's good, let's spread the word, if it's not, let's tell the developers and let the producer notice that new settings and systems are very much needed in this gaming day and age.

We need modern settings, we need better narratives, we need new systems, and something else other then freakin gnomes and elves and space marines.

Characters from tales and legends and vampires are the new orcs and elves? So be it - gimme something that resembles the vampire masquerade, and i'm IN

So, I got another key. Anyone want it? First to quote gets it.

EDIT: TheYanger didn't quote it, but he expressed interest first, so...

And gone.

syko de4d

Let's make this happen guys. Let's shake the market.
If it's good, let's spread the word, if it's not, let's tell the developers and let the producer notice that new settings and systems are very much needed in this gaming day and age.

i will promise u, if this game is really good i will hype the hell out of it on every forum xD

bjb

Banned
At the presentation we revealed that The Secret World will feature a traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store.

What the fuck. And published by EA? No thank you...

i will promise u, if this game is really good i will hype the hell out of it on every forum xD

Get paid if you do :D, seriously, i just hope the industry notices that there's an interest in this things. I mean, make all the fantasy MMOs you want, but there should be more out there. Feels like i've been waiting for this and World of Darkness forever, and that's just cause there's a modern setting, a system based on politics and investigation s much as in violent behaviors, and mysterious narratives that need to get followed in dark alleys and hidden basements

i mean, look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za3e6-YLYWI&feature=youtu.be

Zaph

Is there any gameplay footage for this game yet? I mean full on, UI and everything, uninterrupted gameplay?

Seems odd that the game is out next month yet I can only find teasers and developer diaries.

syko de4d

Effect

I thought the animations ended up looking pretty good in Age of Conan. I believe it's also said they have their own motion capture studio. So I'm not to worried about the animations improving by release or even after release. I'd rather have the other systems be worked on and nailed down and then worry about that. Graphic wise I do like the game and the animations are the only negative but not a huge issue for me in the end.

The setting is neat, but it also feels weird being a MMO. Lot of things just look and feel odd because of all the other players in your area when it feels like something that should be single player.

nickcv

i read the op and watched a couple of videos but still i don't understand how the combat works...can some of you guys enlighten us or would you be breaking your NDA?

Combat is pretty typical MMO style for the most part. You just have lot of flexibility in such things as weapons you use and aren't locked into specific set ups.

Top Bottom