• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
How can you not be aware that it's not the CCP mmo?
I mean you register at a funcom site, you login in a funcom account, the funcom account is on the launcher and I bet there is a video etc.

?

Yeah I know it was dumb. I just thought maybe Funcom was publishing it.

It made a bad first impression on me, but I'll try to play it some more and see if I get into it.

Effect

This is why I'm glad there is a beta you can get into and why I preordered from Amazon.com This way I can cancel if I'm not satisfied.

Could the people that played it elaborate a bit more on why they think the game is terrible? God, the usual click on thread-throw a one liner-get out fuckin' gymnastic.

Combat this combat that... give us details on the rest, which would be the main reason to play this

Ricker

Could the people that played it elaborate a bit more on why they think the game is terrible? God, the usual click on thread-throw a one liner-get out fuckin' gymnastic.

Combat this combat that... give us details on the rest, which would be the main reason to play this

People who play now aren't suppose to talk about it, but we will be able to talk about it during the beta weekend...they say 1 million people applied to play.

People who play now aren't suppose to talk about it, but we will be able to talk about it during the beta weekend...they say 1 million people applied to play.

I know, but they're still expressing opinions that could be elaborated a bit more without getting too much into details, and for some known reason (aka contemporary GAF) the focus has become combat again.

derFeef

3 hours to go :)
And yeah, those NDA brakers are simply those people who do not enjoy it, or have problems and do not bother anymore. It's sad but it is like that. I am sure there will be a lot of mixed impressions today too, but at least we get honest ones. I plan to do some basic videos, depending on how well it runs.

edit: they have posted the known issues for this weekends public beta:
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=29187
Better know now.

Effect

I know, but they're still expressing opinions that could be elaborated a bit more without getting too much into details, and for some known reason (aka contemporary GAF) the focus has become combat again.

I'd rather wait and get into the game myself before making up my opinion for this very reason. I'll know this evening so I'm not going to stress. People have different tolerances. Bugs I expect but what I'm looking for is to see if the combat systems pull me in. The design of the world and how the skill system holds up. Polish (to varying degrees) is great from the start but I've played to many MMOs where that was there but the rest of the game bored me or frustrated me. Rift and The Old Republic being the latest ones. Not defending this game just yet but want to see what the whole picture is like before making up my mind. MMOs can be a very subjective thing in the end.

Edit: In the end I'm really looking forward to playing. I haven't been excited by a MMO in a long time. I mean genuinely excited by what is being offered. Maybe I shouldn't be but time will tell.

I'm actually really looking forward to playing this tonight. So it's true that the NDA allows us to openly discuss it during the beta weekend?

I'd rather wait and get into the game myself before making up my opinion for this very reason. I'll know this evening so I'm not going to stress. People have different tolerances.

heh, tonight i'll have my opinion but i'll still value and want to know what the others think of everything but the bugs and the combat :D

well, anyway: we're almost there. Let's enjoy the first steps. 4:00 GMT right? Downloading a 990mb patch right now

Effect

heh, tonight i'll have my opinion but i'll still value and want to know what the others think of everything but the bugs and the combat :D

well, anyway: we're almost there. Let's enjoy the first steps. 4:00 GMT right? Downloading a 990mb patch right now

Same but hopefully not going to let them have to much influence. Learnt to go with my gut feeling with this genre a long time ago.

There were a couple of smaller patches this morning when I ran the patcher. This was after that last 900mb patch.

It's a pity that the Dragons are unavailable in the game. That's my faction of choice. Damnit, i always end up being part of some disadvantaged \ minority group every time in every single game experience. One faction missing? 'course it's gonna be mine.

NOw, the press is starting to release previews. Those will be the opinions i was looking for, until i can step myself into the secret world.

Reading the one given by massively:

Some non spoilerous bits are (i skipped the paragraphs dedicated to anything that i will experience my self, was just curious to get a generic opinion here):

The initial London zone is somewhat linear, but Funcom has left room for players who like to run off the beaten path.

The streets seemed pleasantly alive

then they mention a good atmosphere.

Mmmm. Getting curious. I'm aiming for a realistic character, focused 90% on melee with a 10% of shotgun

now, can we join the same game session? or is it random servers, random people

edit: realistic settings. BGM, off. Any other thing that wouldn't be in-game, off. To the guy that made the music: sorry dude

edit2: you guys in? i still can't connect. drop a message when you get in or i'll stress myself out thiking that somethign is wrong with my account :D

derFeef

hoooly moly there are a lot of people.

451badd0.jpg

I am Feef - you can add me with shift+f

mxgt

Banned
Awesome, game crashed on loading after the cutscene and now I can't log in. Get to character screen, click play and the game immediately crashes. Same when I try to make a new char.

Tried different settings, windowed mode, repairing the launcher to no effect. Solid first impression.
KuGsj.gif

derFeef

Awesome, game crashed on loading after the cutscene and now I can't log in. Get to character screen, click play and the game immediately crashes. Same when I try to make a new char.

Tried different settings, windowed mode, repairing the launcher to no effect. Solid first impression.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah lot's of people having that problem :/
I am playing fine though, hehe :p

gillty

Banned

KuGsj.gif
Had the same problem, verified with patcher which downloaded a further 2gb and am now in.

Effect

At least we know it can hold up well on high player load if need be. Maybe they'll limit the number per instance at launch and are just stress test things right now.

The graphics from the steams look pretty good. Hoping I can run this near high. No problem with recently games so far. So crossing my fingers.

gillty

Banned
Presentation and world are outstanding, everything else undecided. However I will say the combat is pretty meh so far, and overall I am fearful of the City of Heroes/Cryptic vibes I am getting. Tonnes of potential unlike my first impressions of Age of Conan.

derFeef

I guess I'll join you, I have a couple of characters there already. Also, since you able to elaborate, what are your impressions on the combat system?

Clunky in the beginning, but it grew on me after mixing up weapons. Open beta seems more polished too regarding animations.

Clunky in the beginning, but it grew on me after mixing up weapons. Open beta seems more polished too regarding animations.

Hm. Yeah, the ability to alternate between weapons is cool, it definitely helps to make combat seem a bit more livelier and interesting. Also: I added you!

Ricker

Also had a few crash at first when clicking create so I dropped it down to 720P and Directx9 and it worked...in game I cranked it back up to 1080p and it worked....but I have no voice overs during the cut scenes...is that normal for now? ...I played like the opening stuff and it looks ok I guess,very dark in that metro area and of course in 1080p,I can barely read the menues and stuff,text is way too small...

JoeBoy101

Got a code for the beta weekend, but funcom temp locked my account for not signing in for a while, even though I created the account not two days ago. Their verification e-mail is not hitting my e-mail at all either. Support team has been worthless so far. FML.

Top Bottom