• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

fK9gc.png

IjhEp.png

Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine a world where you can become anything you want to be,
without restrictions such as classes or levels. This is the premise for The Secret World, Funcom’s massively multiplayer online game set
in the modern-day real world.

• Genre: MMORPG
  • Developer: Funcom
  • Publisher: Funcom, EA (Origin, boxes)
  • Unique features: Freeform progression (no levels, no classes), fully voiced story, unique mission system.
  • Subscription plan:Monthly fee + Cash shop for vanity items.
    The Secret World includes 30 days of free game time. Each additional month has a cost of $14.99 / €14.99 incl. VAT / £12.99 incl. VAT.
    Longer subscription cycles yield discounts to the monthly fee.
  • Now no subscription required. Buy the game and play.
  • Release: 3rd July 2012 - Headstart 29th June

• Free 3 day Trial available now!

Ragnar Tørnquist functioned as Creative Director and Senior Producer on The Secret World.
Most famous for the The Longest Journey (1999) / Dreamfall (2006) series, he has also written the 331 page novel Prophet Without Honour
on the story of Anarchy Online (MMO from 2001) and worked on the theme of that game.

His IAMA on reddit is also hugely reccomended, lot's of good infos regarding TLJ too ;)

zPJtz.png

Factions are chosen during character creation and are permanent; there are no restrictions for race, ethnicity, or abilities.
The three factions are designed to be equal and balanced in power and ability, but faction specific special abilities do exist.
The goal in choosing a faction is for players to pick based on the ideals and mindsets of the group as a whole, rather than the one with the most powerful abilities.

Each joinable faction has a headquarters where players can gather, find vendors and trainers, and other facilities.
The Dragon in Seoul, South Korea, the Illuminati in New York, United States, and the Templars in London, England.

In PvE, players of all factions are allowed to group together and finish missions. PvP will pit the factions against each other.
Players will be distinctive by both faction and role as everyone will be wearing uniforms.

Furthermore, despite any similarities to real life, all factions in The Secret World are purely fictional.
They are not tied to any religion or mindset in the real world.

3a7oR.png

Manipulators and conspirators, the Dragon have survived for millennia by playing their enemies against each other.
Since before the first empire, through the aggression of the Mongol Khans and the ebb and tide of the political change,
a whisper in the right ear, a strategic assassination, alliance carefully crafted and broken - and the world eventually
bends to the patient will of the immortal Dragon.

With a spiritual and philosophical approach to the secret crafts, as an acolyte of the Dragon you are taught to listen,
shown how to teach others, and expected to respect the balance of the universe and to be humble in the face of fate.
Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

Few know of the Dragon and their long history, and that is how the Dragon want it. You are invisible but pervasive,
silent but all-knowing, and when the other secret societies have decimated each other, you will rebuild the world from
the ruins of their arrogance.

The Dragon is too easily underestimated, but those who do so live to regret it - or die before they get the chance.

Watch the Dragon Video

rJTcM.png

Notorious bad boys and girls of the secret world, the Illuminati are also the most ambitious, cut-throat and
furtive of the secret societies. From the gilded halls of the ancient pharaohs to the private clubs and the decadent
parties of the famously rich and egocentrically famous, from leaders of industry and Hollywood agents to
presidents and popes, the Illuminati have weaved their intricate web with ruthless cunning and acute skill.

They rule their corporate pyramid with cold opportunism, and only the strongest members survive.
Their secrets can make you rich and powerful beyond compare - or they may destroy your soul and sanity with it.
The Illuminati seek to plunder heaven and hell by any means necessary, and god help those who stand in their way.

As a member of the Illuminati, you don't play by anybody's rules. There are no rules. There is no honour.

There is only victory.

Watch the Illuminati Video

wr3L2.png

Crusaders. Judges. The Holy Terror. The Templars are the world's least secretive secret society.
Their military-ideological machine has operated in plain sight since Babylon - a matter of pride, or moral superiority.
Conspiracy theorists, obsessed with the minor 'Knights Templar' offshoot, underestimate the Templars' true European empire.
Private armies. Members of parliaments. Royal families.

The Templars believe they will deliver the world from evil by force, and even their opponents,
who call them zealots and warmongers, can not deny that force. As an agent of the Templars you are not just fighting
the war on darkness, you "are" the war on darkness. Suave and sophisticated, but brutal and uncompromising,
you use history as a weapon to shape the future.

Few will stand in the way of the Templars' banner. Do you have the will to stand behind it?

Watch the Templars Video

onsOa.png

Abilities are what players can unlock on the ability wheel and then inter-change as they progress in the world.
Players can only have fourteen abilities available to them at any one time, seven active and seven passive, but have the option to change which
abilities they use as long as they are outside of combat.

3TO7x.png

The Secret World has, at last count, 525 abilities which are divided into 9 weapons.

Melee
  • Hammer - Damage and Survivability
  • Fists - Damage and Healing
  • Blades - Damage and Survivability
Ranged
  • Assault Rifles - Damage and Healing
  • Pistols - Damage and Support
  • Shotguns - Damage and Support
Magic
  • Blood Magic - Damage and Healing
  • Chaos - Damage and Survivability
  • Elementalism - Damage and Support

Your character, however, only has access to 7 active and 7 passive abilities at one time. If you’re coming from a regular MMO background
it can seem a bit limiting to only have 7 and 7 abilities, as oposed to the 25 or so you’re probabyl used to having,
but if you give it a chance you’ll see that The Secret World could never have been any other way.

ULluW.png

Decks, suggested build paths, will be available to give players an idea of where to start with ability point allocation.
There are 10 decks available for each faction. All abilities are unique instead of just being more powerful forms of other abilities. They will scale with gear.

mmwFt.png

Investigation
Investigation Missions, or Puzzle Missions, are a type of mission unique to The Secret World. They will ask players to do everything from code-breaking on locks,
hacking into computers, or even research on the internet. An in-game browser will be included, for out-of-game research methods similar to that of ARG's.

Ranking
Ranking missions are faction specific. It is unclear whether these missions are a type of main or a type of story. At this time we do not know if Ranking missions
occupy their own category within the game.

Action
Action missions require the player to perform tasks such as defeating enemies, fighting back invading forces, and discovering behaviors and weaknesses
of certain monsters. Map markers or waypoints will appear in some action missions, but not all.

Sabotage
Sabotage missions require stealth game play. They involve sneaking, evading, and hacking in enemy bases and utilities in order to disrupt their efficiency.
Traps can be enabled/disabled by players to hinder or assist players in their actions.

Dungeon
Dungeon missions give you access to the dungeons. These are repeatable, and unlike the other mission types, they are not on a timer, so can run the same
dungeon back-to-back.

Item
These are "flavor" missions that tie back into the story mission. They are obtained by using an item found in the world, rather than speaking to an NPC.

3lzIH.png

Assembly is used to create consumables, talismans, and weapons which support the player and their build choice(s).
There are no Assembly classes to choose from or skills to be raised; as long as the player knows the shape and has the materials they can create the item.
Assembling an item increases experience and is a component of a variety of location-based story-lines.

cqbFL.png

Before an item can be assembled, first, it must be disassembled. Disassembling items reveals the "shape" of the item and provides the base materials to create future items.
Once you have the shape and the materials, a toolkit must be obtained and then the item can be created.
Assembled items can be similar to those available from loot or quests but assembly will also allow the creation of unique combinations, unavailable from other sources

Check out this crafting guide if you need help.

Pqs6T.png

The rules of engagement are set and regulated by the Council of Venice who control the interactions of the three societies
by dictating the rule-set and location of each battle. At each location, the three factions battle for control ancient relics.

There is no open world PvP and there will not be separate server rule set for PvP and PvE.

f56I8.png

Battlefields
Battlefieds, also called arenas and mini-games, are matches of instanced PvP, each having certain rule sets about team size and
winning conditions. Factions bonuses and buffs from battlefields will contribute toward winning warzones

Persistent Warzones
The Fusang Projects requires players to gain control of "ancient relics that contain great magic."
The objectives for the zone include gaining control of anima wells, which allow the faction to create anima charges, powerful spells capable of doing large amounts of damage,
which are used to blow open the temple gates while holding off the other faction attempting to complete the same objectives.
Then attackers must make their way to the heart of the temple, holding off defenders, where an ancient automaton, from the third age, must be battled and disabled.
An attack on the temple is successful when the automaton changes from the defending faction's color to the attacker's.
At this point the attackers would hold 2 of the 3 objectives for the war zone, which is still officially held by the defenders.
Persistent Warzones are Dimension specific.

Fight Clubs
TSW will feature areas called "fight clubs" which are located in each of the games main hubs (New York, London and Seoul) where players can engage in FFA PvP.
They have described these areas as self policed and have stated that one faction can take over a different faction's fight club, requiring the home faction to kick them out.

S6tdN.png

Forget everything you thought you knew about the world, and embark on a journey through the secret world.
Explore real and mythical locations, from primordial forests to bustling city streets, from secret research facilities to alternate dimensions.

Additional to the three hub cities, there will be three regions to visit for the players, each divided into several big adventure zones.
Those zones contain Missions, Dungeons, Lairs and Lair bosses. Exploration is key to solve the mysteries and to get to know each area.
The Storyline drags the player through the regions and zones, but there are no restrictions of where to go and when!
The player may encounter dark forces he can not fight yet, as there will be the need for better gear and knowledge to defeat the creatures.

dvH2q.png

NIRsN.png

HUGE thanks to the crygaia wiki and the work they do, without the infos they assembled there would be no OT.
You should also check out their main site, as it provides useful info for every aspect of the game.

As always thanks to GAF, EviL, the admins and mods!

Important:

>> GAF Spreadsheet for characters <<
You can play, group up, form and join a cabal with everyone, no matter what Dimension they are on. The only restriction is the the persistant PVP zone (Fusang), as it is Dimension specific.​
TSW Website
TSW account management
TheYanger's explanation/introduction to the Ability Wheel
Soundtrack (Spotify link)
Character Chronicle
Game Manual
Unfair.co - Very good, if not best walkthroughts and mission guides- SPOILERS!

Steam group! Join us!

GAF chat channel:
#SecretGAF

Type in /chat join SecretGAF

Note that you have to add the channel to the window once you opened it (small plus sign).

To join/add channel automatically:

- Go into your "The Secret World" folder.
- Go into or create a "Scripts" folder.
- Create two files in there named "auto_teleport" and "auto_login" without any extention.
- in both files add two lines:
Code:
delay 5000
/chat join SecretGAF
- Launch game!

Videos:
Everything is true
World and settings
Freeform progression trailer
The Secret War trailer

Five essential tips for playing The Secret World - by pheseus

Screens:

derFeef

0seyF.png

'End of Days Event!
On the 21st of December the dead will rise and the Harbingers will come.
The End of Days is here and you must all fight for your survival or perish beneath the weight of rotting corpses.

New Auxiliary Weapon
Warp time and space itself with the powerful Quantum Brace. Help out Moose and Edgar in Kingsmouth
with their experiments and build the new Auxiliary Weapon yourself through trial and error.
Each attack of the Quantum Brace exists in two states &#8211; hit successfully with one and the icon on your action bar will change and reveal a follow up attack.

The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn
The blogger and resident of Solomon Island, Tyler Freeborn, has been doing his own investigating into the rising darkness
and is especially interested in what lies behind the ominous fog which is surrounding the island.

What else
Contact Tanis to experience a new sabotage mission in the Scorched Desert.
Get to the bottom of what the Phoenicians are up to and what the undead weapons dealer Said has to do with it all.
Or you can head over to the Shadowy Forest and speak with Alina. She offers a new Investigation mission,
where you help her break free of her Morninglight past. But that is not all; Issue #5 also makes all Investigation missions
repeatable and includes the handy improvement of letting you bind hotkeys to inventory items for easy use in battle.

YmHbV.png

Issue #4: Big Trouble in the Big Apple
You can enjoy a new Auxiliary Weapon &#8211; the Chainsaw, huge PvP enhancements, the Albion Theatre, Reticule Combat and a new set of Missions! Plus the New York Raid​

Issue #3: The Cat God
In addition to fresh content, such as new locations and monsters, our Halloween event also brings with it tricks, treats, cool new costumes and special pets..​

Issue #2: Digging Deeper
Digging Deeper is a big update which introduces the first of many Auxiliary weapons &#8211; the Rocket Launcher and the completely new Auxiliary ability wheel.​

Issue #1: Carter Unleashed
The first issue is packed with missions, Nightmare mode dungeons, the highly anticipated Marketplace and other updates -- and this is just the beginning!.​

derFeef

I couldn't believe the mist form section the first time I did the instance - WoW's first was RFC! I popped my stupid head out from behind a rock and got exploded :(

the atmosphere when he is in mist form is amazing.

*stomp* .... *stomp* .... *stomp*

derFeef

Beta was great. I am excited to play more and this time read lore etc.

Also be sure to not hit ESC during the character intro (and general) - some new stuff.
The whole game changed after I saw that new cinematic and I almost got a Lovecraft-gasm.

Ra1den

I've never played an MMO in my life, but I'm going to get this. I love secret societies and shit like that. Wonder if my mid-range lappy can handle this.

TheYanger

Also be sure to not hit ESC during the character intro (and general) - some new stuff.
The whole game changed after I saw that new cinematic and I almost got a Lovecraft-gasm.

Oooh, great to hear :D I thought the intros were the worst part of the game before.

Isomac

Oh, then I'll definitely keep my fingers away from the ESC button. Thanks for the info :)

derFeef

Oooh, great to hear :D I thought the intros were the worst part of the game before.

It's just a short scene so YMMV, and I always liked the intros, but the Tokyo Flashback is really something I could do without. It's just not good and a bad representation. It has some story stuff so do not skip it, but don't take it as a fair representation of the game's overall feel.

As I am still on testlive - if you guys want to see some deck outfits or something let me know, I can do that :)

I am going to be the top poster in a TSW thread again...

oktarb

I spent a good deal of time setting up this game for xpadder. Not perfect but it is playable. I'm going to continue to work on the setup, as someone said before Tera cemented that gamepad for MMOs is possible. You still have to jump to keyboard for chat and things but I can run around, use all my abilities and control the camera.

oktarb

and nothing for nothing but worst motto ever for the Illuminati "The world is a bad place, and you can either do or get done. We're the Illuminati and we're not done."

Whatever happened to "Novus Ordo Seclorum", "Do What Thou Wilt" and "Order out of Chaos"?

Kem0sabe

Played the beta and was not impressed. Can´t figure out how Funcom has the balls to launch the game in it´s current state so soon as it´s clearly unfinished and unready for release.

Either they have some kind of secret development build that is way more polished (after what they did with AoC i doubt anyone would believe them if they said so) or this is gonna be one troubled launch for the company.

derFeef

Played the beta and was not impressed. Can´t figure out how Funcom has the balls to launch the game in it´s current state so soon as it´s clearly unfinished and unready for release.

Either they have some kind of secret development build that is way more polished (after what they did with AoC i doubt anyone would believe them if they said so) or this is gonna be one troubled launch for the company.

1.0 is good, no idea if you have played that.
What do you think is unfinished?

edit:
random sign in PVP - lol.
6Ux7fh.jpg

Tigel

I'm glad this game is finally done so that Tørnquist can focus on the one that really matters: The Dreamfall Chapters.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I really really want this to be good and do well. Its exactly the kind of novel concept that I want to succeed.
Same here. Of course, if it does succeed I'll never play it. I don't have the kind of money or time to justify paying a monthly subscription. I'd love a pay-as-you-go model for MMOs.

epmode

I'm glad this game is finally done so that Tørnquist can focus on the one that really matters: The Dreamfall Chapters.
Either this game does well and he continues working on it and no Dreamfall or it bombs and the studio closes and no Dreamfall.

derFeef

I think they'll have a dedicated but small base - which I hope is enough for it to continue on, much like Eve.

Yup, it's no game for the masses (somehow luckily).

Either this game does well and he continues working on it and no Dreamfall or it bombs and the studio closes and no Dreamfall.

A new chapter is basically confirmed, just WHEN is the question.
and btw. the story and characters in this are very good. And since it has some adventure game influences it often reminds me of TLJ or even Vampires (not from him, but just saying).

Wow, this has to be one of the most silent MMO releases that I've seen. DIdn't even realize the beta happened. I wouldn't mind trying it out, just wish there was a free trial.

Midou

I love TLJ, but I have not followed this game too much. Is there anything it can be compared to directly in the MMO world combat wise? Sometimes it's hard to tell the feel from just a video. This year seems a bit heavy with PSO2, GW2 and the likes.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So this game is probably doomed to fail right? Or did they not have high expectations to begin with?

Reminds me of Hellgate: London for some reason.

oktarb

So this game is probably doomed to fail right? Or did they not have high expectations to begin with?

Reminds me of Hellgate: London for some reason.

Its prospects aren't the best in the world. Considering most MMOs start with a high chance of failure TSW battles against a unique but not overly popular theme and what appears to be an almost non-existent marketing budget/plan. The production value is high but there is a still a good amount of polish needed as well.

I think they need to think like CCP did with EVE. Embrace your loyalists, create a game for the players, listen to them and let them be your marketing team. If they try and make this a standard run of the mill MMO that appeals to everyone, they'll fall flat on their faces.

They also appear to be leaning pretty heavily on vanity items and a store for items such as 'extra character slots'. They better worry about getting people to keep playing before character slots. if vanity items are their thing then they must hope that people will get very social in the game but I didn't see much in the way of that besides the standard group and 'guild.'

I pre-ordered simply because I have a 'thing' for the Illuminati. How many people can say that?

demonkaze

What's the optomisation like on this game? I remember when I read about this game a long time ago that it was pretty much required to have a beast of a rig to play this?

derFeef

Just found this on the forums, will add to OP.
Five essential tips for playing The Secret World - by pheseus

Last tip is important!

What's the optomisation like on this game? I remember when I read about this game a long time ago that it was pretty much required to have a beast of a rig to play this?

It will stress any PC for sure, even high end machines with everything cranked up. You can adjust many things, but RAM and a fast hdd are most important imho - the engine is so memory intenstive it's not even funny.

Man

Have this baby pre-ordered. Loved the atmosphere and setting in the Beta. Excellent skill/ability/deck system.

Man

Wow, this has to be one of the most silent MMO releases that I've seen.
That's the EA Partners program for you.

And I'll jump in with the rest derFeef: Excellent job on the OT!

the last hardcore game development studio in Norway.
Well, the company is hardly Norwegian anymore. Technically it is Switzerland owned (though I guess this is purely for economic reasons) with the main development studio now in Canada with some additional development done in a reduced Norway office (it's crazy expensive over there as if it isn't hard enough already to keep a gaming studio afloat. Oslo is the worlds most expensive city to live in). The Game Director is British I believe (the Creative Director Ragnar Tørnquist is Norwegian however).

Top Bottom