• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

syko de4d

really liked the beta, best Questing/Lore i have ever seen in a MMO.

But no time right now, i will buy it 1 month after Release, but i think i still have my early access :>

Iresecia

Neo Member
If they ever do a trial of this (since I missed the beta due to being forgetful) I'll check it out. I haven't been able to commit to a p2p mmo ever so I doubt it'd be the same with this one. That and I've got GW2 on my plate sometime this year.

So I was out on vacation during the last beta event. I'm interested in this game from the few keypoints I've heard but can anyone point me to solid gameplay video? Something that you feel represents the best parts of the interactive aspect of the game. Thanks.

Scirrocco

sogood.gif

SO sad i won't be able to play this game for a while. My PC is damn ancient. TSW would probably melt it. I'll be watching you all have fun until i get a chance to upgrade.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have been following this for a bit. I got invited to the beta, didn't join it but I will try it out for awhile. Looks cool.

Effect

I wish there was something that made me feel better about the polish and animations. They were to much of a problem for me in the betas. Would like to play this. However holding out might not be so bad. Especially if the price drops within a few weeks.

Karak

Just found this on the forums, will add to OP.
Five essential tips for playing The Secret World - by pheseus

Last tip is important!

It will stress any PC for sure, even high end machines with everything cranked up. You can adjust many things, but RAM and a fast hdd are most important imho - the engine is so memory intenstive it's not even funny.

Did they patch that for this last beta? First time I have played so I didn't see it before but 1080p with every cracked on a 920i7, gtx570 and 4 gigs of ram doesn't seem that crazy and I was always way above 60 fps.

As for the game its fucking brilliant and I am getting it for 1 reason. To get my 50 bucks out of it. I will without any problem. Continuation after that will be nothing but a bonus. The amount of shit I played this weekend was worth fucking 40 bucks alone. LOVE the feel of the first location. Coming into the barricaded police station and the consistent battle going on there. I got a very real feeling of "I need to help these people" Just fucking glorious. Haven't enjoyed an MMO like this in years. Even a bit more than Star Wars O.R. which I loved.

derFeef

Maybe it runs better on nvidia hardware, would not surprise me. DX11 with tesselation etc. stresses my rig pretty good in some areas.

Kem0sabe

1.0 is good, no idea if you have played that.
What do you think is unfinished?

What i had issues with:

Combat felt horrible all through the beta, i know it´s a personal preference, but it turned me off from the game.

Performance was consistently bad, lag, fps issues abounded. It was beta but after playing through the AoC beta, my tolerance for Funcom is at an all time low.

Character creation, was limited, uninspired and the characters simply looked deformed somehow. This and the fact that there will be a vanity cash shop at launch worry me that the most interesting customization options will be pay only.

Bugs, Bugs and more Bugs, from missions not completing, to desktop crashes, problems logging in, UI weirdness. This close to launch, it has me worried.

Hubs are ridiculously designed. These are supposed to be huge metropolis with constant activity, instead, there´s nothing but a few npc´s standing around.

Takes too long to get to the "good parts", after creating a character i have to sit for almost an hour of cut scenes, tutorial and fetch quests to get anywhere. If the cut scenes were nice and the London quests were interesting, it might be bearable, but they are anything but.

Cash shop in a subscription game... Funcom should have every piece of content accessible to the player especially if the player is already paying a monthly subscription. To be locked out of anything as a subscriber is just bad form and i refuse to support this kind of business model.

What i liked:

The writing, even with the bad voice acting, the writing is very well done for the most part and a level above most of the crap you will find in standard mmo´s.

The game world concept, i love conspiracy theories and alternate "real world" scenarios, and TSW has these in spades.

The skill system, it´s deep but still maintains the ability to ease players into certain roles if the player so wishes it.

Bru

What i had issues with:

Combat felt horrible all through the beta, i know it´s a personal preference, but it turned me off from the game.

Performance was consistently bad, lag, fps issues abounded. It was beta but after playing through the AoC beta, my tolerance for Funcom is at an all time low.

Character creation, was limited, uninspired and the characters simply looked deformed somehow. This and the fact that there will be a vanity cash shop at launch worry me that the most interesting customization options will be pay only.

Bugs, Bugs and more Bugs, from missions not completing, to desktop crashes, problems logging in, UI weirdness. This close to launch, it has me worried.

Hubs are ridiculously designed. These are supposed to be huge metropolis with constant activity, instead, there´s nothing but a few npc´s standing around.

Takes too long to get to the "good parts", after creating a character i have to sit for almost an hour of cut scenes, tutorial and fetch quests to get anywhere. If the cut scenes were nice and the London quests were interesting, it might be bearable, but they are anything but.

Cash shop in a subscription game... Funcom should have every piece of content accessible to the player especially if the player is already paying a monthly subscription. To be locked out of anything as a subscriber is just bad form and i refuse to support this kind of business model.

What i liked:

The writing, even with the bad voice acting, the writing is very well done for the most part and a level above most of the crap you will find in standard mmo´s.

The game world concept, i love conspiracy theories and alternate "real world" scenarios, and TSW has these in spades.

The skill system, it´s deep but still maintains the ability to ease players into certain roles if the player so wishes it.

Blimey! Your only issue I can agree with is the cash/vanity shop (which I won't be using anyway). I also find the voice acting in this game to be superb, though the lip synching is still ropey.

derFeef

Ragnar on the TSW Forums said:
Hi all,

A lot of you are planning ahead to Friday's early access launch, and have asked for dimension (server) names in order to decide where to play together.

To make that job a bit easier, I've put together an exclusive list of the first batch of dimension names we've got lined up for launch. There will be more, of course, but I'm sure you guys can find a permanent home on one of these dimensions -- as long as you show up early for early access!

Dimensions are global and you can play anywhere you want without any regional restrictions. We've marked some dimensions as French- and German-speaking, and though you can still play the English language version of the game on those dimensions, people will probably be chatting and communicating in French or German.

Here is the list of the first five English dimensions, along with the first French-and-German dimensions:

Cerberus
Daemon
Faerie (RP dimension)
Grim
Huldra
Drac (French dimension)
Kobold (German dimension)

Again, this is by no means a complete list, and we'll be announcing more dimensions as soon as these fill up.

Now all that remains is for me to figure out where to create my primary character. I think I know which one to go with and, bonus!, I get to start playing before any of you guys. Head start! I'm going to need it.

Not sure where to start!

Bru

It's got to be Cerberus, mainly because it's first (more players will hopefully pick it) and because the name kicks ass.

Any reason besides mediocre promotion from EA that this game has gone so under the radar here at GAF? It looks really interesting and has a fresh setting for an MMO.

Any reason besides mediocre promotion from EA that this game has gone so under the radar here at GAF? It looks really interesting and has a fresh setting for an MMO.

A lot of Gaffers, including myself, are still waiting for the conclusion to the Longest Journey series. Plus, I'm burnt out on MMOs. I only play WoW because of a good friend who plays it.

derFeef

A lot of Gaffers, including myself, are still waiting for the conclusion to the Longest Journey series. Plus, I'm burnt out on MMOs. I only play WoW because of a good friend who plays it.

That's really the wrong reason then. Fans of Ragnar would really dig the story and characters - of course there is the MMO factor.

My primary guess is the "Funcom reputation" - which is quite sad and I hope they prove them wrong. To me TSW looks like their most polished and well thought-out game yet.

The M.O.B

I don't do subscription based games but I hope this gets a healthy player base.

In the beta this game did a lot of things right, and it looked great.

TheYanger

Blog post about how the Server/Dimension works.
Basically, if you do not care much about the persistent pvp (which is dimension specific) it does not matter on what dimension you create a character. Even cabals work cross-dimension etc. Thumbs up, I always hated coordinating/transfering/paying for char transfers.

http://thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

If you at launch create "Sephiroth1337" then you will be the only "Sephiroth1337" in the The Secret World universe!

I laughed

Personally, I'm a big fan of Tornquist and I loved the theme/setting of this game, but after Age of Conan I'm never going to get a Funcom MMO at launch. Plus I expect this game to flop badly and go free to play much faster than it's peers (TOR, Tera, Rift etc.), especially with the competition coming out soon (Guild Wars and the Wow expansion). Might as well wait and get a better experience for much less.

Elginer

Really want to get this badly but don't want to get burned when 3 months from now it goes F2P which odds are it will. What to do... hmmm...

Jarnet87

Have watched a decent amount of streaming and it just looks so mediocre. After being hugely disappointed by TOR and then quickly burning out from all the TERA beta I am laying off MMOs for awhile.

TheYanger

Have watched a decent amount of streaming and it just looks so mediocre. After being hugely disappointed by TOR and then quickly burning out from all the TERA beta I am laying off MMOs for awhile.

I'm not sure streaming could do the game ANY justice. The combat gameplay is the most hum-drum aspect of the game, the questing and the thought involved in some of them. Making builds, doing the instances, those are the real meat and potatoes. Not going to say you should buy it if you're gunshy, but it's definitely different.

I spent an hour doing a quest that required no combat and it was straining my brain the entire time. Watching someone play, as mentioned, really doesn't do the game justice at all.

Thanks for doing the OT derFeef

Effect

I'm not sure streaming could do the game ANY justice. The combat gameplay is the most hum-drum aspect of the game, the questing and the thought involved in some of them. Making builds, doing the instances, those are the real meat and potatoes. Not going to say you should buy it if you're gunshy, but it's definitely different.

The problem is that combat is a big part of the game and many if not all MMOs. Rare is it not.

I enjoyed a lot of the game from the betas. The combat wasn't one those things and as result is the main reason I'm not picking it up at launch. The animations and the polish are apart of that as well. Something I'll be doing constantly has to be well done right from the start. I was disappointed in SWTOR but combat wasn't on of the things I had an issue with. Sometimes it really is just an individual issue.

TheYanger

The problem is that combat is a big part of the game and many if not all MMOs. Rare is it not.

I enjoyed a lot of the game from the betas. The combat wasn't one those things and as result is the main reason I'm not picking it up at launch. The animations and the polish are apart of that as well. Something I'll be doing constantly has to be well done right from the start. I was disappointed in SWTOR but combat wasn't on of the things I had an issue with. Sometimes it really is just an individual issue.

The combat in swtor wasn't bad? I guess I'll just say we agree to disagree :p

I didn't get much time with the beta this weekend but I liked what I played. I don't see it doing too well with sales, however. Torn on whether I want to just play the first month and see how it goes or just wait it out for F2P.

Madouu

Oh wow I missed the OT, great job on it derFeef.

I'm still on the fence on what faction to chose, I already played quite a bit of the 3, I think I like Illuminati the most ...

Also don't click on the character spreadsheet from the ingame browser, bad things will happen!

Kem0sabe

Ugh, why does this game bring out the F2P doomsayers?

I think it´s pretty much written on the wall the moment they announced a cash shop for launch and the lack of any kind of marketing, also considering their 2 other mmo´s are F2P and started out as subscription based games and their tradition to have terrible game launches.

TheYanger

I think it´s pretty much written on the wall the moment they announced a cash shop for launch and the lack of any kind of marketing, also considering their 2 other mmo´s are F2P and started out as subscription based games and their tradition to have terrible game launches.

AOC had an insane launch, it merely didn't have anything past the first few hours to do.

derFeef

They are not F2P - they both have still subscription models with an option to play the game for free, but with limited content.

Played beta, gameplay just wasn't different enough to warrant the subscription fee.

By gameplay you mean .. ? Because almost everything is pretty different to most of the more "traditional" mmo's out there.

Kem0sabe

AOC had an insane launch, it merely didn't have anything past the first few hours to do.

Hmm, where do i start...

I might as well start when i bought the game, looked at the box and saw directx 10, but then found out that it wasn´t included in the release and was just false advertisement, what a shitstorm that provoke in the forums.

Then in Tortage, where i was stuck in my class quest because it didn´t update, or maybe the first time my horse disappeared when i zoned.

Or when i had to restart constantly because of the massive memory leaks.

Or when our guild couldnt upgrade our city because the upgrade mechanics were broken, or when we tried to siege a battlekeep, which was also broken.

How about when they kept resetting the Necro talents every few days because the class was utterly broken.

This after having been there at the AO launch, where most players couldn´t even get into the game...

So you can see why my tolerance for Funcom´s shenanigans is nonexistent at best.

Will this game be any different? it´s more polished than their previous mmo launches, but it´s still not there yet. I understand that they wanted to get a quick cash grab during summer when GW2 and the WoW expansion are still not release, but it will end up biting them in the ass.

derFeef

Tomorrow and the whole weekend is going to be horrible.
Lot's of work, TF2 update has hit and I want to play that. Walking Dead episode 2 is out and I wanna play that too - and yeah the TSW headstart as well :-/

edit: vv - I think I will roll on Daemon!
ninja edit 2: The petition to change the name of Faerie is hilarious...

Bru

Members of the official forums are already carving up the dimensions to suit their needs:

Cerberus (Unofficial PvP dimension)

Daemon (Unofficial English speaking EU dimension)

Faerie (OFFICIAL RP dimension and unofficial server of the explorers community)

Grim (Standard dimension, unofficial hardcore/progressive/backup PVP server)

Huldra (Unofficial Oceanic dimension)

Drac (OFFICIAL French dimension)

Kobold (OFFICIAL German dimension)

I'm torn between Cerberus and Daemon ATM

Ugh, why does this game bring out the F2P doomsayers?
Lol, I'm not trying to be a naysayer. It's just the reality of the situation. The game has zero marketing, no one I've spoken to about the game knows it exists, and the only fanfare I've seen for it is in this very thread and the official forums. I liked it enough to jump in for the first month (yes, I made my decision to join)... but I just dont see it doin well in the long run, unless it gets some crazy positive reviews or something.

In any case, I'll see u guys in game on Friday.

I think the game will do fine with a small, niche community and Funcom might be OK with that. I have no doubt that there will be a F2P-lite version of the game at some point in the future, because even WoW has that now, but full on F2P is probably not going to be soon.

For the record, the ARG is giving me hurty brain. I know I'm missing something.

Top Bottom