• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

aasoncott

My wife and I both picked up the game last night. I think I love it. I think. The problem I'm facing is... how do I play it?

I've never played an MMO before. Everything about the interface feels so hideously awkward that I feel like everything I'm doing is wrong. I'm not even sure I understand basic movement. It seems like the only rational way to move around is to keep the right mouse button held in the whole time, except then you can't target while fighting. But I can't tell if fighting should be more tactical or more action. When a fight starts, should I stop moving, carefully clicking on enemies and abilities, or should I be circle-strafing? I feel like I should be moving, because you can dodge attacks, but unless you're holding in your right mouse button movement is clumsy and strange. That makes me think that I should stay still and treat it with more strategy, but certain weapons seem to shoot in the direction of the camera and other shoot at the targeted enemy... again, unless I'm wrong. I think the shotgun shoots whatever direction you're pointing, but the assault rifle and pistols shoot at the targeted enemy but this doesn't ever really get explained and oh god I'm just so confused.

So, is fighting supposed to be holding your right mouse button in the whole time, while backing away and strafing, mashing the number keys with whatever free fingers you might have? Is there some sort of tutorial I could watch on how to "properly" play?

Someone, please, set me on the right path. Because I desperately want to love this game. I can see the love, just beneath the surface.

Burt

My wife and I both picked up the game last night. I think I love it. I think. The problem I'm facing is... how do I play it?

I've never played an MMO before. Everything about the interface feels so hideously awkward that I feel like everything I'm doing is wrong. Ii'm not even sure I understand basic movement. It seems like the only rational way to move around is to keep the right mouse button held in the whole time, except then you can't target while fighting. But I can't tell if fighting should be more tactical or more action. When a fight starts, should I stop moving, carefully clicking on enemies and abilities, or should I be circle-strafing? I feel like I should be moving, because you can dodge attacks, but unless you're holding in your right mouse button movement is clumsy and strange. That makes me think that I should stay still and treat it with more strategy, but certain weapons seem to shoot in the direction of the camera and other shoot at the targeted enemy... again, unless I'm wrong. I think the shotgun shoots whatever direction you're pointing, but the assault rifle and pistols shoot at the targeted enemy but this doesn't ever really get explained and oh god I'm just so confused.

So, is fighting supposed to be holding your right mouse button in the whole time, while backing away and strafing, mashing the number keys with whatever free fingers you might have? Is there some sort of tutorial I could watch on how to "properly" play?

Someone, please, set me on the right path. Because I desperately want to love this game. I can see the love, just beneath the surface.
Gotta learn to tab target. Most mobs don't try to get behind you, so as long as you're squared up when you initiate, the only moving you really need to worry about is getting out of the way when you see a spell winding up on the ground, which you can just double tap a direction to get out of the way of.

Most skills say whether they're targeted or aoe, which can be targeted (cursor shows a location of the ground that you'll cast at), frontal/cone, or pbaoe (point blank, hits everything in a certain radius of you). It sounds confusing when you're just getting into MMOs, but you'll pick it up quick as you playing and get a better sense of the skills. Just gotta get that requisite mmo left-hand dexterity down.

Don't worry about circle strafing unless you have a skill that requires you hit the enemy from the back, in which case you'll have to stun them first so they don't turn with you.

Edit: iirc, most of your shotgun skills will shoot in an aoe cone forward, while the pistol ones will only hit your target. Keep up with the game. The first zone is pretty decent, but the characters and story in the subsequent ones are amazing. Loved the second zone.

aasoncott

Gotta learn to tab target. Most mobs don't try to get behind you, so as long as you're squared up when you initiate, the only moving you really need to worry about is getting out of the way when you see a spell winding up on the ground, which you can just double tap a direction to get out of the way of.

So, when starting an encounter, should I generally stop, tab to an enemy, start spamming number keys, and only move to dodge AOE attacks? Honestly, I haven't even really seen people play MMOs before... I appreciate the pointers.

EDIT: I started watching some videos of other people just playing the game. I guess moving is still important. I guess I just need to keep at it... hopefully at some point it'll click.

I've never played an MMO before. Everything about the interface feels so hideously awkward that I feel like everything I'm doing is wrong. I'm not even sure I understand basic movement. It seems like the only rational way to move around is to keep the right mouse button held in the whole time, except then you can't target while fighting. But I can't tell if fighting should be more tactical or more action. When a fight starts, should I stop moving, carefully clicking on enemies and abilities, or should I be circle-strafing? I feel like I should be moving, because you can dodge attacks, but unless you're holding in your right mouse button movement is clumsy and strange. That makes me think that I should stay still and treat it with more strategy, but certain weapons seem to shoot in the direction of the camera and other shoot at the targeted enemy... again, unless I'm wrong. I think the shotgun shoots whatever direction you're pointing, but the assault rifle and pistols shoot at the targeted enemy but this doesn't ever really get explained and oh god I'm just so confused.

It's kind of a bad start for a MMO because of how bad the interface is. If you have experience with other MMO's, it gives you hints, but even then alot of it is very janky in design compared to others simplicity.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is ONLY my guess.

I guess you bought the game in December and got: issue #5 (The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn)

And that issue #5 period is now over (issue #6 incoming?), and your getting a mail to tell its over? I got the same mail and there is even an 14 day offer to activate membership for your account (and its not working, as always with codes from Funcom).
I got that too...so if I didn't play through that issue 5 stuff, it's gone??

aasoncott, have you tried using the crosshair aiming mode (press T)? It's a hybrid of mouselook and std-mmo gameplay.

Didn't know about that, might have to try it on the Marine Chainsaw Massacre side mission. It was a complete nightmare trying to tab around the zombie swarm. It was the only mission I left in the Blue Mountains.

I also accidentally deleted my Venice token QL6 Ferocious Sword due to the slightly wonky drag/drop controls, hit yes to delete without even thinking. Luckily there was a QL8 Devastating blade on the market for only 9k!

StMeph

Are Auxiliary weapon quests tuned for QL 10? They're open to me now, but they con as Devastating. Any suggestions on when I should do it?

The SP costs are pretty steep too. Should I just wait until my normal weapons/talismans are 10 before saving the 35-50 SP for Aux?

Hey now Feef, be careful there. You're hurting my feelings :(

I play every now and then, but have been pre-occupied with some other games. I try to log in a few times a week and play. Once the next issue drops I suspect I'll hope on for more time than usual. The game is great solo though, so that shouldn't discourage ANYONE from playing. Plus I think there is still a healthy population playing.

Yeah, it's kinda dead. I have the same problem since I work full-time and play a lot of other games, not to mention MMOs.

I have turned to treating this like a single player/co-op game now. I still need to complete every dungeon from Hell Fallen and up and all of the Transylvania area so I'm always down for playing this if someone wants to schedule something specific. I'm a tank and my wife is a healer (and also a gaffer) so I don't think we would have any trouble putting a party together. Outside of that, I'll be playing pretty casually.

derFeef

Are Auxiliary weapon quests tuned for QL 10? They're open to me now, but they con as Devastating. Any suggestions on when I should do it?

The SP costs are pretty steep too. Should I just wait until my normal weapons/talismans are 10 before saving the 35-50 SP for Aux?

Yes, they are very hard - I find the rocket launcher mission the hardest so far honestly, but maybe they tuned it since. The Quantum Brace mission was really fun though.

Didn't know about that, might have to try it on the Marine Chainsaw Massacre side mission. It was a complete nightmare trying to tab around the zombie swarm. It was the only mission I left in the Blue Mountains.

I also accidentally deleted my Venice token QL6 Ferocious Sword due to the slightly wonky drag/drop controls, hit yes to delete without even thinking. Luckily there was a QL8 Devastating blade on the market for only 9k!

have you tried AOE skills? I mainly use AOE dmg most of the time, at least for the builders and one consumer. Especially later it's getting pretty crowdy.

Mithos

Yes, they are very hard - I find the rocket launcher mission the hardest so far honestly, but maybe they tuned it since. The Quantum Brace mission was really fun though.

Found a way to solo the Quantum brace (in the very end), made it easy peasy. And yeah the gorram that Rocket Launcher mission gaaah, took me forever ;p

Not been playing much lately though, gremlins in the computer, something is breaking down, trying to find out what component it is or if its the screen or any surrounding hardware.

have you tried AOE skills? I mainly use AOE dmg most of the time, at least for the builders and one consumer. Especially later it's getting pretty crowdy.

I have plenty of AOE, I use Dirty Tricks (Pistol AOE) to stun/damage and set hindered state first up on everyone. Then follow up with Above the law (AOE) to exploit the hindered state and to start building pistol resources with a bit of damage. I then wade in with either a single sword or AOE sword depending on the numbers.

It's only the one mission I'm having trouble with, Marine Chainsaw Massacre in the Blue Mountains.

Minor mission spoiler!

You have to use a one hit kill chainsaw to kill 15 zombies, 4? draug and a boss and my tab skills just aren't good enough to take on 7-10 3k+ zombies at the start! I'll try the crosshair targeting when I head back to the Blue Mountains. I'm in Egypt now, it's great to actually see the sun!

StMeph

Completed the Chainsaw Aux quest in QL9 greens.

But I don't have the SP to actually unlock it yet... so that will be a while yet.

derFeef

Issue 6.
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/issue_6_cover_and_preview

dXRpxiO.jpg

Energy whip aux weapon oO
DmjU8kU.jpg

Mithos

I made a simplier version with that for the crosshair mode, which is even better now since the "mode" switches itself. press back - aim mode with crosshair, press back again, controller works as a mouse with a few shortcuts.

Been meaning to ask you for those settings, because the settings that other person made in the link is very complex, and outdated, since the new Augmentary weapons showed up on the bar.

Mithos

sure :)
The only thing I am having trouble with is if a message pops up for yes/no as it screws wih the aiming mode.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fahug1cjwcd5mtp

Thanks, been testing it out a bit in Egypt.

Picking up drops seems complicated, unless I'm missing something. Press Select to switch mode/settings (from Combat to Interface), then Start to switch mode again to be able to pick with Right-trigger (aka left mouse clicks)? I don't know, will try some more later.
Figured the picking out, switching with Select makes me able to open the dropped bag and pick one by one the items, doing select and then start makes me loot all directly.

Am I supposed to complement these controller settings with something special in-game (in the settings)? I guess pressing left analog (click for shift) is supposed to be used so you can dodge or something?

About the Yes/No popups, will be interesting to see if it possible to figure something nice out for it.

jdavid459

Hey guys...

So lately I've been trying to find an MMO (need a big game to unwind after work...) and I can't seem to get hooked on any of the ones out. I tried GW2 and briefly played Tera, neither of them really sticked. I loved WoW at a time because of its awesome enviornments/music and dungeons. Does the Secret World offer anything great that the current batch of MMOs do not? Thanks!

StMeph

Hey guys...

So lately I've been trying to find an MMO (need a big game to unwind after work...) and I can't seem to get hooked on any of the ones out. I tried GW2 and briefly played Tera, neither of them really sticked. I loved WoW at a time because of its awesome enviornments/music and dungeons. Does the Secret World offer anything great that the current batch of MMOs do not? Thanks!

First, know that the GAF presence is pretty dead, so don't expect to be rolling with a bunch of GAFers every night. But if you were expecting to solo at your own pace, then TSW may still be a good fit for you.

Coming from other MMOs, there is a bit of an adjustment necessary, as the game does a few things differently. Once you're done with the first zone, I would say that you know whether or not it's your cup of tea.

Mechanically, it's just like any other MMO. Level up to unlock abilities, use a hotbar, etc. Dungeons employ the holy trinity. In terms of gameplay, it's very similar to everything else. You'll be able to immediately pick it up.

Where it does diverge is the potential for your one character to unlock every single skill and ability in the game. That's more like FFXI, where you have one character that can master everything, as opposed to predefined classes that you max out. It does mean that there are optimized builds, and it does mean that you can kind of screw up your progression if you spend your points horizontally (a little bit of everything) instead of vertically (deep into a few trees), at least in the beginning. But those shouldn't be character-breaking, because all quests are repeatable, and XP-to-level stays relatively constant and so you can always just get more points to allocate.

I didn't like Missions (quests) being limited to 1 story, 1 dungeon, 1 main, and 3 sides, because I kept running through the same areas for some of them. It FEELS inefficient to pass creatures that you know are quest mobs, but not for the quest you're on. But that really is an issue only for the first zone. The later zones space things out better, and so you don't re-tread much ground.

All three factions use the same areas, so there are only a few marginal differences. Flavor, cosmetic costumes (from completing Decks), and transitional quests/NPCs are different. But that's about it. That, and PvP is segregated by faction.

Every NPC is voiced, and all main quests are introduced with cutscenes. The setting is modern + Lovecraft, so that's a refreshing change of pace compared to other MMOs. I am a huge fan of the Lovecraft universe, and so it was nice to get a game with that atmosphere. I do wish there were more varied monster types though, as you begin to see several of them again and again. I also felt like the writing is too florid; NPCs' lines aren't realistic, and everyone waxes poetic about the coming doom. Again, I felt like that improved as you move on away from the opening zones. Egypt was really good.

Dungeons feature many bosses and not much trash, which is really nice. The encounters are well designed for leveling dungeons and demand more activity than non-raid dungeons from other MMOs. It's like RIFT's boss design, with a gentler difficulty.

You can usually find it for $10-15 from various sales at online retailers. This includes full access to all content up to Issue 4. It does not include the added missions in Issue 5, nor the upcoming Issue 6. I wouldn't be too concerned with that, though; it's still a lot of content to wade through, including dungeons, elite dungeons, nightmare dungeons, and raids.

jdavid459

First, know that the GAF presence is pretty dead, so don't expect to be rolling with a bunch of GAFers every night. But if you were expecting to solo at your own pace, then TSW may still be a good fit for you.

Coming from other MMOs, there is a bit of an adjustment necessary, as the game does a few things differently. Once you're done with the first zone, I would say that you know whether or not it's your cup of tea.

Mechanically, it's just like any other MMO. Level up to unlock abilities, use a hotbar, etc. Dungeons employ the holy trinity. In terms of gameplay, it's very similar to everything else. You'll be able to immediately pick it up.

Where it does diverge is the potential for your one character to unlock every single skill and ability in the game. That's more like FFXI, where you have one character that can master everything, as opposed to predefined classes that you max out. It does mean that there are optimized builds, and it does mean that you can kind of screw up your progression if you spend your points horizontally (a little bit of everything) instead of vertically (deep into a few trees), at least in the beginning. But those shouldn't be character-breaking, because all quests are repeatable, and XP-to-level stays relatively constant and so you can always just get more points to allocate.

I didn't like Missions (quests) being limited to 1 story, 1 dungeon, 1 main, and 3 sides, because I kept running through the same areas for some of them. It FEELS inefficient to pass creatures that you know are quest mobs, but not for the quest you're on. But that really is an issue only for the first zone. The later zones space things out better, and so you don't re-tread much ground.

All three factions use the same areas, so there are only a few marginal differences. Flavor, cosmetic costumes (from completing Decks), and transitional quests/NPCs are different. But that's about it. That, and PvP is segregated by faction.

Every NPC is voiced, and all main quests are introduced with cutscenes. The setting is modern + Lovecraft, so that's a refreshing change of pace compared to other MMOs. I am a huge fan of the Lovecraft universe, and so it was nice to get a game with that atmosphere. I do wish there were more varied monster types though, as you begin to see several of them again and again. I also felt like the writing is too florid; NPCs' lines aren't realistic, and everyone waxes poetic about the coming doom. Again, I felt like that improved as you move on away from the opening zones. Egypt was really good.

Dungeons feature many bosses and not much trash, which is really nice. The encounters are well designed for leveling dungeons and demand more activity than non-raid dungeons from other MMOs. It's like RIFT's boss design, with a gentler difficulty.

You can usually find it for $10-15 from various sales at online retailers. This includes full access to all content up to Issue 4. It does not include the added missions in Issue 5, nor the upcoming Issue 6. I wouldn't be too concerned with that, though; it's still a lot of content to wade through, including dungeons, elite dungeons, nightmare dungeons, and raids.

Sounds like its worth checking out. Thanks for the post.

Once you complete 30 missions, easily done in the first area, you get 1200 points to spend in the shop. Issue #5 is 750 points if I remember correctly, I imagine #6 will be about the same.

I'm about half way through the last area and have finished 3/5 of the issues and I've done 339 missions, so there is a crap load of content!

Hey guys...

It offers an amazing story, atmosphere, intriguing quest system, NPC characters/voice acting, and the Investigation missions. Works like a solo SP game as well.

Edit: basically just reiterating the facts.

kami_sama

Anyone on The Savage coast is available to help me?
I'm stuck on the mission where you use the attractions at the amusement park.

I'm camino on the cabal.

Izayoi

Banned
Any word on more nightmares or raids? It'd be nice to have a reason to actually go past 10.2. I like the instances, I just wish there was a bit more to them than "don't stand in circles". And another way to earn Astral Fuses would be nice, drop rate is miserable and with a three day lock there's really no reason for me to play anymore other than logging on for fifteen minutes every three days to get a chance to roll on a fuse.

Any word on more nightmares or raids? It'd be nice to have a reason to actually go past 10.2. I like the instances, I just wish there was a bit more to them than "don't stand in circles". And another way to earn Astral Fuses would be nice, drop rate is miserable and with a three day lock there's really no reason for me to play anymore other than logging on for fifteen minutes every three days to get a chance to roll on a fuse.

Main problem in the game right now. Joel Bylos did mention adding more repeatable type stuff for end-game progression, though. No one LOVES a grind, but at some point you NEED a grind.

Fewr

I just reached rank 5, and decided to get the speed boost potion using points instead of saving pax for it. Pay to win? I don't know, but I found it very convenient, especially considering plenty of the clothes in the points shop are atrocious.

By the way, I've now seen that egyptian dog, it's hideous too lol.

Vodh

Just got back to the game (rank 5, most of my gear is QL3/4) and holy shit, it's awesome, why haven't I been playing it all along?

owlbeak

Been playing this regularly again to catch up on the Issues I've missed.

I still need to beat Ankh, since the last time we tried it was still unbeatable! :) Issue 6 looks great! Man, I love this game!

owlbeak

Also, I'm sure the answer is "no", but can you register your retail CD key with Steam? Bought my copy way back on release day.

Fewr

25% off today on steam.

--------------------------------------------

I'm about to finish my first self-imposed goal of completing all the starter decks to get the outfits and to get a feeling of how all weapons work. I liked blood, claw, blades and pistols the most.

From now on, I will follow a build to be a Fist/Blood healer. I understand that for healers I would want my minor equipment to be +HP, and the rest to be +Heal Power.

I will also be doing a survivalist build for when I solo (most of the time lol). For this build, I think I will do Fist/Chaos because one weapon overlaps. Here, I understand I should be distributing equipment for all three factors (DPS, HP, Heal), but I wouldn't know what to do with the main equipment slot (Head). Opinions?

derFeef

Yah my main survival build is fist/chaos, works very well.
For gear you will want a good balance with those weapons, but focus on DPS.

owlbeak

Finally powered through The Scorched Desert over the weekend. Egypt really turned me off in this game. I loved the setting and mysteries of Soloman Island and felt like Egypt was a HUGE let down in atmosphere and story telling.

Then I got to the City of the Sun God and the game has redeemed itself. SO great and so much better than the Scorched Desert. The game has sucked me right back in. Played almost 16 hours this weekend. :X

Fewr

How does this affect the rest of the non-paying players? I imagine you could form a group with one of them, he doesn't know his build enough, party is a disaster, you wasted items, and start again with a new group. Is there any other scenario where non-paying people would be directly affected?

Mithos

Situation-room outfit reward was a disappointment, AND the game have been getting worse performance after every update.

I mean 60fps -> 10fps no graphical settings changed, many updates ago it was MAX a 60fps -> 40fps when it was bad.

Remy

Just bought into this given the slight Steam sale and feeling the need to scratch the MMO itch once more. Hope I can run into Secret GAF a few times!

Just bought into this given the slight Steam sale and feeling the need to scratch the MMO itch once more. Hope I can run into Secret GAF a few times!

Great game, if you like the subject matter you will no doubt love it. Im hoping to log on this week and play through the Issue 6 stuff. I'm a bit behind with my TSW gaming, want to catch up on Issue stuff as well as make a dent in Egypt.

Camp Lo

Banned
Just picked this up to satisfy that itch left by GW2. I hope it wasn't a waste but I love premium MMOs without the subscription.

Top Bottom