• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Kem0sabe

Thinking about buying this (its fairly cheap at 9.50 euros on most online key stores).

So i have a couple of questions if the community doesnt mind answering:

1. I play in Europe, any recommendation about what server to join? Looking for the most populated and most active to join.

2. How is grouping in the lower level areas, are they mostly empty of players or can groups for tougher quests/dungeons easy to find for low level players?

3. Speaking about groups, is there a robust group finder tool to facilitate this? Something like FFXIV's duty finder or WoW's dungeon finder.

4. I have see that the game has had some fairly large updates, expansions? Are these free to new players or paid?

5. I understand that the game subscription works much like GW2, once you buy the "box" there is no need for sub, even so are players required to spend more on ingame cash shops?

Nopren

Thinking about buying this (its fairly cheap at 9.50 euros on most online key stores).

So i have a couple of questions if the community doesnt mind answering:

1. I play in Europe, any recommendation about what server to join? Looking for the most populated and most active to join.

2. How is grouping in the lower level areas, are they mostly empty of players or can groups for tougher quests/dungeons easy to find for low level players?

3. Speaking about groups, is there a robust group finder tool to facilitate this? Something like FFXIV's duty finder or WoW's dungeon finder.

4. I have see that the game has had some fairly large updates, expansions? Are these free to new players or paid?

5. I understand that the game subscription works much like GW2, once you buy the "box" there is no need for sub, even so are players required to spend more on ingame cash shops?

1. It doesn't really matter what server you join. All grouping and guilds are cross-server. But I play from Europe too and I'm on Cerberus, which seems fine, so I guess I'll recommend that. It is also the one with the coolest name, so there.

2. Areas are a bit barren in general, but pretty much all of the out-of-dungeons content can be played solo with no problem. But if you are in a cabal (TSW's equivalent to guilds), you can probably ask for help there.

3. There is a group finder tool where you can sign up, but it only functions as a notice board. It won't automatically match you up in a group. It's up to the players themselves to invite from the tool.

4. TSW's equivalent to updates/expansions are Issues (like in a comicbook), of which some of them comes included in the base game. But pretty much all of the missions in the payed for issues are for when you've finished the "main game". They are highly worth buying though, because of the brilliant missions.

5. Nope, no requirement to spend money in the ingame cash-shop.

The design behind TSW is that you can almost solo the entire game - except dungeon quests which requires party and the last quests of the last area (transylvania) of the game.

After completing a certain number of quests for the first time, 25?, you get given enough in game currency to buy at least one of the expansion episodes. That's how I got Ep. 6, I assume the mechanic is still in the game.

Mithos

1. It doesn't really matter what server you join. All grouping and guilds are cross-server. But I play from Europe too and I'm on Cerberus, which seems fine, so I guess I'll recommend that. It is also the one with the coolest name, so there.

Exactly, AND chat is also cross-server for the area your currrently in, and IF you team up with anyone not in your server/dimension, you will be asked if you want to move to his/her location, if you invite someone that's not in your server/dimension, they will be asked if they want to move to your location.

Like already stated (by bobnowhere), the new expansions (issues) cost money to get, and new player thay buys the "standard" version of Secret World will get all issues up to #4 (5,6,7,8 and so on is costing you extra 1200 Funcom Points each / €10 each).
On steam though you can buy The Secret World: Massive Edition, €60 (icludes issues #5,6,7).

And after completing 30 quests, 1200 FP should still be awarded to you (a one time reward on that account) and you can spend that on 1 issue if you want (I'd recommend that).

My homeserver is Daemon, and my characters name is Teeyla, add me to friendlist if you want, if I'm online you can always ask me for help if you need it.

Kem0sabe

Just started playing this past weekend, created a templar character on Arcadia and after finishing up Kingsmouth im slowly moving into the Savage coast content.

Here are some thoughts on what i would like to see improve or am having a harder time dealing with in the game:

1. Chat system, it's somewhat archaic, unable to memorize custom channels (sanctuary comes to mind), unable to attribute different colors to different channels, unable to modify to have some more ease of use features like pop-up tells from players for example.

2. Grouping/Dungeon finder. My last mmo (still play it occasionally) was Final Fantasy XIV, which in itself is a great game, even tho it lacks the story components of TSW. But one thing it did better than any mmo i have played, is the duty finder system.

Simply put, its a cross realm dungeon finder, but it was so efficient, so fast and comprehensive, that it made grouping for any ingame dungeon a matter of seconds (it even promoted grouping for lower level dungeons with a roulette system, where higher level players entered a low level roulette for a dungeon on the finder and got rewarded for completing, helping new players in the meantime.

3. More guidance on how to build a good working deck, i would have gimped my character in the short run if i hadnt went online to search for a well balance survivalist deck. The game introduces itself as a standard mmo, but the reality is that you will be soloing 99% of the time, and if you don't build accordingly, then you are left having to repeat quests for more AP to "un-gimp" you character.

4. The ingame browser, i love the fact that i have to research how to solve the investigation quests, and i try my best not to resort to guides (not always successfully), but the fact that the browser resets itself every time you close, doesn't have a favorites tab and has some weird scrolling bugs, leaves me to want to ask funcom for a complete browser overhaul.

5. The UI, from inventory management, to character clothing, to sorting. Everything is hidden under lairs of non user friendly design. If not for the excellent modding community, it would be extremely frustrating to manage.

Now, that being said... im having tons of fun, the game has an amazing community, #sanctuary is filled with people all willing to talk and help anyone with questions about the game, the quests... oh my... the quests are awesome, the story, the voice overs... goddammit Funcom... make more adventure games like this!

Mithos

1. Chat system, it's somewhat archaic, unable to memorize custom channels (sanctuary comes to mind), unable to attribute different colors to different channels, unable to modify to have some more ease of use features like pop-up tells from players for example.

You can make the game automatically "login/activate" custom channels on login by.
Creating 2 files in "secret world folder\scripts" named;

auto_login
auto_teleport

Containing:
Code:
delay 5000
/chat join Channelname1
/chat join Channelname2
etc etc in BOTH files.

Have not looked into colorcodings on specific channels, or looked into if there is a tell replacer that makes it pop-up when geting a tell.

2. Grouping/Dungeon finder. My last mmo (still play it occasionally) was Final Fantasy XIV, which in itself is a great game, even tho it lacks the story components of TSW. But one thing it did better than any mmo i have played, is the duty finder system.

The groupfinder in TSW is VERY underused by players indeed, its sad since you can queue yourself as DPS/TANK/HEALER or a mix for any instance, if ppl started using this in a big way it would easy up groupings much.

3. More guidance on how to build a good working deck, i would have gimped my character in the short run if i hadnt went online to search for a well balance survivalist deck. The game introduces itself as a standard mmo, but the reality is that you will be soloing 99% of the time, and if you don't build accordingly, then you are left having to repeat quests for more AP to "un-gimp" you character.
What's working in beginer areas migh not work in later areas indeed, but my build that I use in "endareas" killed me in beginning areas, because not good enough gear or skills that early, be prepared to change direction many times throughout the game.

4. The ingame browser, i love the fact that i have to research how to solve the investigation quests, and i try my best not to resort to guides (not always successfully), but the fact that the browser resets itself every time you close, doesn't have a favorites tab and has some weird scrolling bugs, leaves me to want to ask funcom for a complete browser overhaul.
Absolutely, browser def need an update to rember previously vistied sites.

5. The UI, from inventory management, to character clothing, to sorting. Everything is hidden under lairs of non user friendly design. If not for the excellent modding community, it would be extremely frustrating to manage.
Luckily as you said, the ability to cuztomize the UI is key to get an UI you like and feel comfortable with.

I use:

1. Topbar Information Overload
2. Misjah ScriptBuilder
3. Combat Statistics
4. AcceptAllMeetUps
5. UltimateCrafter

Last year I also used a replacement for Gear Managements and Dressing Room, but I removed it eventually didn't feel a need for it.

I'm now a member of the Secret Society.

There was a sale on steam a few days ago for the massive edition. This game has always allured me. What seal the deal was a video from Extra Credits about quest design.
Conceptually I like MMOs, on execution ... No!.

I'm really liking the game, cause it uses the B2P model, no levels and lot of skills (like MTG) , it's the only MMO I played where it really pays off to open your eyes and watch the environments for clues. I also like the setting. Not that impressed with the combat, I hope the other abilities are a little more interesting, I've only played Blood Magic.
Bonus points cause my character is incredibly attractive.

I'm looking for people to add on my friends list, would play daily 7 to 11 PST. My role is going to be Dps/healer/CC. Interested in running a Dungeon to see how they work in the game. Thanks for this thread. My IGN HappyPuppy

Amon-Lau

Looks like Tokyo is released, guess I need to work on being able to go there... :p
If anyone wants to add me my username is Vhan, see ya in Tokyo~

biezel

Haven't played seriously in a few months, but hitting Tokyo for a few hours last night brought back why I love this game so much. God, the story is cool.

Brick

After having been away since the game launched, I picked up the Massive Edition on the Steam Sale (it was $15, which is half the cost of all of the issues, plus now I have an extra key to give to my brother). I don't remember much about this game, except that I really enjoyed the investigation missions. I'm actually really looking forward to getting back into this game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I notice the 9th issue's 25 bucks on steam with some extras...are they worth the extra cash really? Or did they raise the base price of issues?

Anarkin

I've bought the game from the last steam sale. The download from steam was like 17gb and now it downloads a patch that was supposed to be only 3gb big but is now over 9gb and it keeps downloading. What is this?

iPiDQiTD1C6pz.jpg

Stop it and restart it, its a problem with launcher since the game launched, it randomly glitches out and keeps downloading with the bar going off the screen even.

Lucifon

2nd Anniversary event running from today (July 3rd) until July 11th :) If anyone's thinking of trying the game PM me your email and I'll fire over a buddy invite :)

The Secret World's second anniversary celebrations have begun!

We invite you all to take part in this special occasion and enjoy a great event, huge bonuses and brand new content.

New Tokyo World Boss!

The Guardians of Gaia event returns, where massive Golems invade all the different areas of the game. This year the event offers some great new loot, rewards and an all new Golem in Tokyo! Take on this enormous and powerful new Tokyo Golem and earn unique rewards!

The anniversary celebrations last for two weeks, from the 3rd of July to the 17th of July, so log in now and take part!

From the 3rd of July and until 11th of July everyone can also enjoy these huge bonuses:

Double Ability Points: Every time you would earn an Ability Point you get one extra! This effect stacks with the Timed AP Boosts you can get in the Item Shop.
Extra Black Bullion: Every time you would earn Black Bullion you get one extra! This bonus also applies when you open Mystery Boxes and Deep Mystery Boxes.
50% more Aureus of Initiation: Every time you earn Aureus of Initiation in Scenarios you earn 50% extra!
50% more White Marks of Venice: Every time you earn White Marks of Venice from PvP you earn 50% extra. In the Fusang Warzone the period between each rewarding of Marks is reduced by 50%.
50% more AEGIS Reaserch XP in Tokyo: Every time you loot defeated enemies in the new Tokyo zone they yield 50% more AEGIS Research for your Weapon Controllers.
Free Membership for Recruiting: For every new player you recruit during this period you get a free month of Membership in addition to the Veteran Points you normally get. (To get this bonus you must send your invite between now and the 11th of July and the recruit must purchase The Secret World within 30 days.) Everyone has been given 10 extra invite keys as bonus, so that the whole community can let their friends take part in this anniversary celebration!

Sidestories: Love & Loathing

An all new mission pack is live! Enjoy the brand new Sidestories: Love & Loathing, which offers five new missions in the city of Tokyo, which was introduced in Issue #9. The pack contains:

Brotherly Loathe (Action) – Inbeda asks the player to help the House-in-Exile withstand the assault of the nine houses and settle a personal vendetta at the same time.
Love & Origami (Investigation) – Gozen and Akashi are arguing about a mysterious note and a book of origami left abandoned at a table in the noodle house. Bring your origami skills – this mission is not for the faint of heart!
Killers on the Road (Action) – Gozen sends the players to thin out the ranks of the demons infecting the streets of Kaidan and beyond…
The Right Round (Action) – Kurt asks the player to discover the location of a missing Orochi team carrying experimental weapons for testing.
The Korinto-kai (Action) – Daimon Kiyota isn’t about to let a little thing like the apocalypse stop him from running his business.

Anyone who completes all five missions in Sidestories: Love & Loathing will receive the Cracked Noh mask and a Deep Mystery Box as rewards! (This Deep Mystery Box can only be gotten once on each account.)

The five new missions are an excellent source for the new Sequins of Sunrise tokens in Tokyo, which you can use to upgrade your AEGIS Weapon Controllers. Doing these missions while the anniversary bonus of 50% more research XP is active, is a great way to improve your AEGIS skill!

Please note that you need to have Issue #9: The Black Signal to be able to purchase Sidestories: Love & Loathing and to do the new missions in Tokyo.

Toreal

Just started playing this with a friend and its surprisingly fun, some of the quests are really good and the atmosphere is great.
We are just in the second zone atm, but are any of the issues worth getting?

biezel

We are just in the second zone atm, but are any of the issues worth getting?

Absolutely! Issues 5, 6, and 7 all have excellent, atmospheric story missions, and give you access to some new auxiliary weapons. If you complete the storylines in 6 & 7, you'll also receive a piece of purple equipment (head from 6 and neck from 7).

Issue 8 is okay, depending on what you're into. It adds scenarios, which are repeatable, horde-mode style VR missions, where you rush around and keep survivors alive. It's a good way to earn experience and some extra augments, but has pretty much zero story value.

Issue 9, don't worry about until you're done with the main story. It continues the main story in a new zone, Tokyo, and you'll need to have pretty good gear and a smart build to make progress.

If you have questions about the game, you can PM me on here or send me a tell in-game at "Biezel"!

oktarb

Have there been any graphical enhancements? I played in the beginning LOVED Kingsmouth but didn't like the following area much. The recent expansion with Tokyo just doesn't appeal to me.

BUT man I love the intelligence behind this game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The deeper you get into Egypt, the more diverse and impressive it becomes. If you were into Kingsmouth, the area after Egypt will be right up your alley as far as atmosphere goes

Kind of a whacky bump, but with the Halloween event coming up, I really want to play through it all again and experience the new content they're providing. It's been a long time since I've put some good effort into the game and I still haven't beaten the main story.

So my question is, is there anyone still playing that has some QL10, top gear that isn't binded that's willing to help me out? I'd love to have whatever edge possible to get me closer to experiencing the Halloween event, finishing the story (solo), and then FINALLY seeing Tokyo.

Nopren

Don't have any ql10 gear banging around that isn't BoP, but you can get ql10 blues very fast by doing elite dungeons. Just join the chat channel "#noobmares" and ask for people doing elites.

Don't have any ql10 gear banging around that isn't BoP, but you can get ql10 blues very fast by doing elite dungeons. Just join the chat channel "#noobmares" and ask for people doing elites.

Awesome, I appreciate the advice. I don't want to hold anyone back. You play a lot?

Nopren

I used to, but usually just come back for the events or if someone posts a good screenshot of it in the high-res pc screenshots thread.

Steam sale means I just bought this...I had played it a bit when it first came out, but lost my physical copy. Just impulse bought it on Steam.

Is this game still a thing? Have they updated it much? Anyone still playing?

cj_iwakura

Steam sale means I just bought this...I had played it a bit when it first came out, but lost my physical copy. Just impulse bought it on Steam.

Is this game still a thing? Have they updated it much? Anyone still playing?

Yes, quite a bit(with the pay-for-content stuff), and yes.

I started playing this again, and man, this is my favorite MMO ever I think. Granted I'm only a few hours in (I think I played maybe 12 hours the first time through) but I really dig this game. I like the quests, and it's fun to wield dual pistols while also rocking a katana.

Ophelion

I bought the base game a little while back and just got into it over the weekend. This game seriously rocks from what little I've played of it. I solved a puzzle instantaneously just last night because I'm reasonably well versed in classical music for goodness sake! I think the best thing about puzzles in this game is that they expect you to me mindful of your surroundings. Love a game that doesn't treat its environment as just the walls of a Skinner box. It makes me wish there were more modern supernatural/horror RPGs. I'd love a slightly tighter single-player experience with a similar quest structure and stylish art direction.

Also, do you get new clothing options from the factions' starting "towns"? My guy looks ok for a starting character, but I'd like to get him some new threads. The sooner I can find him something that expresses his inner badass warlock, the better.

TheYanger

I bought the base game a little while back and just got into it over the weekend. This game seriously rocks from what little I've played of it. I solved a puzzle instantaneously just last night because I'm reasonably well versed in classical music for goodness sake! I think the best thing about puzzles in this game is that they expect you to me mindful of your surroundings. Love a game that doesn't treat its environment as just the walls of a Skinner box. It makes me wish there were more modern supernatural/horror RPGs. I'd love a slightly tighter single-player experience with a similar quest structure and stylish art direction.

Also, do you get new clothing options from the factions' starting "towns"? My guy looks ok for a starting character, but I'd like to get him some new threads. The sooner I can find him something that expresses his inner badass warlock, the better.

You can buy a lot of standard clothes in London if it hasn't changed, lots with real money of course too in the shop, and you get 'outfits' for completing the deck designs they have on the skill wheel (hit the left side bar when you're on your ability wheel).

Ophelion

Man, I know I already said it, but this game is really awesome. I've never had so much fun questing. The investigation quests feel like genuine investigations and are definitely the highlight of the whole thing for me. I feel like such a goddamn sleuth when I crack one of those. Cracking the Kingsmouth Code was the moment I knew I'd be dumping all my free time into this thing. I've never met an MMO before where questing feels like a hobby rather than my job. By that I mean, I'd be cracking these cases even if they didn't give me an XP bonus that makes me better at blowing things up. The fact that they do is just fantastic.

It's insane that this game isn't more popular than it is. There's really nothing else like it on the market. Maybe the problem is that most of the people that would be all over this generally don't play MMO's and as such don't even know this is their kind of thing? I know I could probably be said to be such a person and I only just stumbled across it. I need to get my friends and brother playing this game stat.

TheYanger

Man, I know I already said it, but this game is really awesome. I've never had so much fun questing. The investigation quests feel like genuine investigations and are definitely the highlight of the whole thing for me. I feel like such a goddamn sleuth when I crack one of those. Cracking the Kingsmouth Code was the moment I knew I'd be dumping all my free time into this thing. I've never met an MMO before where questing feels like a hobby rather than my job. By that I mean, I'd be cracking these cases even if they didn't give me an XP bonus that makes me better at blowing things up. The fact that they do is just fantastic.

It's insane that this game isn't more popular than it is. There's really nothing else like it on the market. Maybe the problem is that most of the people that would be all over this generally don't play MMO's and as such don't even know this is their kind of thing? I know I could probably be said to be such a person and I only just stumbled across it. I need to get my friends and brother playing this game stat.

It really is a shame. Obviously I play wow most of the time, but I genuinely think TSW was the MMO that offered the most to the genre in the past decade besides it. I don't think it's a really strong 'hardcore' MMO, but it is SO fucking awesome to play solo or with a small group of friends at a more casual level.

Nopren

It has a pretty damn steep learning curve. I don't blame people who throw in the towel when they get to Blue Mountain. It was only by a stroke of luck that I bumped into one that was willing to explain to me what I needed to change in my gear, skills and playstyle to succeed.
But it is one of the most rewarding things when you start to realize the implications of the open-ended character-building and the ridiculous amount of possibilities that come with it.

Sure, then you get to Tokyo and get your pride beaten down under the floorboards.

Fuz

Banned
So, I just finished the Issue 10. Best issue so far, although a little shorter than others.
The writing and the characters are absolutely exceptional, the story gets more and more interesting and it's visually gorgeous.

This game is so damn good. It's really fantastic: smart, original and imaginative. It deserves way more success.

Li Kao

Ok guys, so it's very late where I'm from and I've got some important meeting tomorrow so excuse me in advance if the post isn't very clear, but I had to ask.
Playing FF14 for the first time and I can't help but miss the little I played of TSW some years ago. Butttt.... Did the dev follow up on their plans to have parts of the game elolving drastically over time ? I'm not speaking about a classic plot evolution, some time ago there were these grand claims about a sort of organic story with characters that can even die.
Theoretically the idea surely has its merits, but I still hate the idea with the power of a million suns. OCD surely, but hey...

Did they do it or not ?

TheYanger

Ok guys, so it's very late where I'm from and I've got some important meeting tomorrow so excuse me in advance if the post isn't very clear, but I had to ask.
Playing FF14 for the first time and I can't help but miss the little I played of TSW some years ago. Butttt.... Did the dev follow up on their plans to have parts of the game elolving drastically over time ? I'm not speaking about a classic plot evolution, some time ago there were these grand claims about a sort of organic story with characters that can even die.
Theoretically the idea surely has its merits, but I still hate the idea with the power of a million suns. OCD surely, but hey...

Did they do it or not ?

I can't speak for newer content, but even the first first patches they put out flat out killed previous quest hub major characters and caused those quests to be removed from the game.

TheYanger

Unless I'm misremembering, the old dude in the lighthouse in the second zone got kidnapped by a crazy fan and killed or some shit? It's been quite a while. He definitely wasn't there anymore though.

ZenaxPure

Unless I'm misremembering, the old dude in the lighthouse in the second zone got kidnapped by a crazy fan and killed or some shit? It's been quite a while. He definitely wasn't there anymore though.

The author? He is still there, unless you mean some other old guy in the lighthouse.

Top Bottom