• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

IrishNinja

So I've gone through like four pairs of 3D glasses + adapter. None seemed to work. I even changed all the caps in one of the adapters, nothing working.

Finally I buy a pair that work. Great! Finally!

And then I realised they don't work with the everdrive because it draws too much power, leaving not enough juice for the 3D system.

So that means all the other sets probably worked as well. I just didn't try with real carts, despite having every 3D game on cart anyway.

Nice one, me.

aw, so no SMS everdrive + 3D glasses? that's a huge bummer, actually! i know there's not a lotta games in that corner of the library, but still

also: if you wanna offload any of those possibly-working 3D glasses on the cheap, lemme know man!

Khaz

Have you tried with a third party power adapter with more Amperes?

I second the offer of offloading you from your 3D duplicates.

Manette-Universelle-MVGS2-Sega-Master-System-avec-Joystick.jpg
The controller had an option to insert a thumbstick which left a permanent indent in your thumb.

Also the controller wasn't very ergonomic. Even for small hands.

Apart from that it was awesome.

D.Lo

also: if you wanna offload any of those possibly-working 3D glasses on the cheap, lemme know man!

I second the offer of offloading you from your 3D duplicates.
I sold each set on ebay as 'not working' before buying the next lol, and made a profit each time anyway since I bought them cheap on Yahoo. I would have gotten more if I knew they were working of course though.

And they were all Mark III sets so the adapter wouldn't have worked on western machines anyway (Mark III can play all western card stuff, but western MS cannot play Mark III stuff), though the glasses likely worked fine.

Have you tried with a third party power adapter with more Amperes?
Not yet, I use a Mega Drive 1 adapter with 1A though which is already pretty high compared to what the system normally draws (and the original adapter spec which was 650mA I believe)

No need though, I have all the 3D games anyway. I was basically just being lazy.

Any opinions on the video outputs of both systems? I was reading the first pages doing the comparison with the nes and it has awakened a lot of memories for me.

I always saw both NES and Master System 2 connected through an RF modulator, but I always felt that despide the heavily improved colour, Nes looked much sharper.

D.Lo

The adapter isn't universal?
Western MS cannot read Japanese cards, so cannot use the Japanese adapter which uses the card slot.

It's also a different shape, so physically does not fit in the MS card slot either.

Works fine the other way around however.

D.Lo

Hey all, I've done a write up on the SG1000 II..

I haven't modded it for RGB yet. I'm not sure I will actually, I have two other consoles that play SG1000 games in RGB if I want, though the colours are sometimes a bit off using Mark III/Master System hardware.

Hey all, I've done a write up on the SG1000 II..

I haven't modded it for RGB yet. I'm not sure I will actually, I have two other consoles that play SG1000 games in RGB if I want, though the colours are sometimes a bit off using Mark III/Master System hardware.

Nice read! I'm so confused by thr SG-1000-II though: Doesit play SG-1000 games only or both them and Mark III games? Or does it have it's own little library?

D.Lo

Nice read! I'm so confused by thr SG-1000-II though: Doesit play SG-1000 games only or both them and Mark III games? Or does it have it's own little library?
It's just a redesign. Like the Master System II, Mega Drive II, AV Famicom, Super Famicom Jr, PSOne etc.

It only plays SG1000 games.

The Mark III plays SG1000, Mark III/J Master System and western Master System card games with no adapters.

It's just a redesign. Like the Master System II, Mega Drive II, AV Famicom, Super Famicom Jr, PSOne etc.

It only plays SG1000 games.

The Mark III plays SG1000, Mark III/J Master System and western Master System card games with no adapters.
I see! That cleared up things for me!

IrishNinja

man, ive been wanting to get back an SMS forever now...ive got a power base converter for my genny, but this was my first actual console (all the atari stuff was my older brother's), and i miss it!

i'd been wanting one like mine (the early version with the built-in Snail game that i felt soo awesome when i found while bored one day, haha) but FM modded, was bummed to learn that 3D glasses in particular have gone up a bit...also, it's oddly tricky finding the rapid fire dongles i got when buying the left-handed joysticks in the day!

found a dude selling a component/FM modded SMS with everdrive + 3D glasses, but he's asking a lot more than i've got right now...we'll see, might just be easier to find a base unit on the cheap & have it modded. anyone knows what that goes for?

Bar81

man, ive been wanting to get back an SMS forever now...ive got a power base converter for my genny, but this was my first actual console (all the atari stuff was my older brother's), and i miss it!

i'd been wanting one like mine (the early version with the built-in Snail game that i felt soo awesome when i found while bored one day, haha) but FM modded, was bummed to learn that 3D glasses in particular have gone up a bit...also, it's oddly tricky finding the rapid fire dongles i got when buying the left-handed joysticks in the day!

found a dude selling a component/FM modded SMS with everdrive + 3D glasses, but he's asking a lot more than i've got right now...we'll see, might just be easier to find a base unit on the cheap & have it modded. anyone knows what that goes for?

If you're okay with no card games (not sure about 3D) this is a nice solution:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini-fm.html

Unfortunately OOS atm but they restock pretty regularly.

I have no great affinity for the SMS (Genny was my first system) but got to play some of its excellent games via the power base converter (still to this day love me some SMS R-Type). And I think I'm one of those weird people that likes every FM soundtrack that I've heard more than the original.

Khaz

The mod for SMS1 is super easy to do, you just plug the board to the back connector and solder three wires. It's a beginner friendly project.

IrishNinja

yeah, that base is cool, i just want the actual hardware back!

The mod for SMS1 is super easy to do, you just plug the board to the back connector and solder three wires. It's a beginner friendly project.

that's cool, still not something i'd do...hopefully that means i can have it done on the cheap, though?

Khaz

I'd do it for a beer, but realistically it's the shipping that will kill you. It's why I tend to advise for trying to do stuff yourself when it's easy and cheap.

D.Lo

Forget about component, the console outputs a nice RGB natively, component is just a transcode of that.

The sync is often weak (seems to vary), so it may need a sync boost cable for certain monitors, or the Framemesiter.

I'd do it for a beer, but realistically it's the shipping that will kill you. It's why I tend to advise for trying to do stuff yourself when it's easy and cheap.
Was about to say the same.

illadelph

I've never even played a MS game before, but that console has the best boxart of all time. The consistent white grid theme with minimalist graphics is an awesome aesthetic.

D.Lo

I've never even played a MS game before, but that console has the best boxart of all time. The consistent white grid theme with minimalist graphics is an awesome aesthetic.
Not going to agree there!

The consistency is good, but the drawings were mostly garbage.

Worst of all the consistency was ruined later on as they slowly abandoned it, adding full colour pictures, and the red/blue 'Sega Master System' branding.

Japanese Mega Drive is probably the most consistent. Personally Silver Konami NES boxes is my favourite motif, though it also faded (was abandoned) as the generation proceeded.

IrishNinja

yeah, people clown on the grid art they stuck with, but (horribly biased here) i adore it, haha

Forget about component, the console outputs a nice RGB natively, component is just a transcode of that.

The sync is often weak (seems to cary), so it may need a sync boost cable for certain monitors, or the Framemesiter.

Was about to say the same.

exactly, i've no need for the component mod at all, more than happy with RGB..hence why that system might not be for me, it's just tricky finding an already FM modded unit right now. it'd be great if bapho or someone had em about, but i doubt they're in high enough demand.

also: would a retro_console_accessories SMS cable (i wanna say she does these? she's sold out again, haha) not suffice for XRGB use, then?

also: would a retro_console_accessories SMS cable (i wanna say she does these? she's sold out again, haha) not suffice for XRGB use, then?

My SMS cable is from her and it works great with my framemeister. I did have to install an RGB amp though to get rid of horrendous jail bars (not from her cable just always there). I've talked a bit with the guy from RetroRGB, and some other folks and it seems way more common than the internet would lead you to believe.

That said I've never had issues with sync on this system or my other master system (also jailbary as hell but I haven't bought an rgbamp for it yet), either with composite or RGB. Though I do use ImplantGames' SMS profile and that includes a specific sync setting.

There was a SMS version of Galaxy Force = mind blown. I need to keep up on this thread more.

My SMS and games are in storage, need to get them out again someday and hopefully get it RGB modded in the future.

Timu

There was a SMS version of Galaxy Force = mind blown. I need to keep up on this thread more.

My SMS and games are in storage, need to get them out again someday and hopefully get it RGB modded in the future.
If you have a SMS model 1, it's already has RGB, though model 2 needs modification.

IrishNinja

My SMS cable is from her and it works great with my framemeister. I did have to install an RGB amp though to get rid of horrendous jail bars (not from her cable just always there). I've talked a bit with the guy from RetroRGB, and some other folks and it seems way more common than the internet would lead you to believe.

That said I've never had issues with sync on this system or my other master system (also jailbary as hell but I haven't bought an rgbamp for it yet), either with composite or RGB. Though I do use ImplantGames' SMS profile and that includes a specific sync setting.

damn...i don't often get too many jailbars about, wondering if this'd be an issue on CRT? if that XRGB profile seems to get around some of it, that'd work for me too.

damn...i don't often get too many jailbars about, wondering if this'd be an issue on CRT? if that XRGB profile seems to get around some of it, that'd work for me too.

I can't say how they would be on a CRT as I didn't try mine out on one. That said though nothing I could do with the Framemeister would get rid of the jailbars, and the system just needed to be modded. It was a fairly inexpensive amp and it wasn't too bad to do.

IrishNinja

yeah, liking what i'm seeing there!

Can't wait to have to press Pause to access the weapon menu, bump into the console instead and freeze the game. Ugh.

FUCK
for real, i have love for master system pads but would pay for some magic mod to let a genesis start button work

IrishNinja

ordered an RGB cable!

anyone know what

- FM mod
- pause button mod
- 3D glasses

roughly go for nowadays? also, guy at smspower helped me sort out which model SMS i'm after;

If you want a US model with just the snail maze game and not additional games built in then you want either model number "3000" or "3010", with a serial number where the second digit is either 6 or 7.

BTails

I've barely played any Master System, with the exception of a couple times at a friend's house growing up, and playing through Phantasy Star on an emulator in University. But now that I have a Mega Everdrive, I can play SMS easy through my Genesis!

This afternoon I tried out a few games, and decided to play through one that's always intrigued me: Master of Darkness.

m5atAUo.jpg

It's a pretty competent Castlevania clone, with some great graphics and music. The stages get pretty repetitive though, with wild difficulty fluctuations between way too easy and relatively hard. It never reaches the level of difficulty of the original Castlevania games, however.

There are some great sequences though, such as the haunted rooms in the wax museum, which reminded me of the boss from Splatterhouse with tables, chairs and paintings attacking. The final stage is interesting too, being a maze that requires you to find a hidden exit: this was one of three times I died, as I found the pathway just as the timer ran out. My other two deaths were being pushed backwards into pits.

The bosses were disappointing, I beat every one on my first attempt. The main character is vastly overpowered if you have grabbed a new weapon during the stage, which means you can pretty much "brute force" your way through the bosses without having to learn patterns.

All in all, it was a great way to kill an hour, and I'm looking forward to checking out some more of the SMS library soon. I'm familiar with a few titles, like he Sonic games, from my Game Gear.

wZr5XWA.jpg

D.Lo

Cool I always meant to play through Master of Darkness for the same reason. I did the same with a FDS Castlevania clone, 'Matou no Hokai'

ordered an RGB cable!

anyone know what

- FM mod
- pause button mod
- 3D glasses

roughly go for nowadays? also, guy at smspower helped me sort out which model SMS i'm after;
FM Mod $50 of parts plus labor. Pause button would be around $50 I'd say, the majority of the work is modding the controller.

3D glasses are expensive. Japanese ones are much cheaper ($100 for a set), but don't work on a western system. Western glasses adapters work on Mark III however (and Japanese MS doesn't need them)

IrishNinja

^props btails!! i gotta finish that one one day, how long did it take? wish i had savestates, haha

Cool I always meant to play through Master of Darkness for the same reason. I did the same with a FDS Castlevania clone, 'Matou no Hokai'

what? goin on the list, that looks cool!

FM Mod $50 of parts plus labor. Pause button would be around $50 I'd say, the majority of the work is modding the controller.

3D glasses are expensive. Japanese ones are much cheaper ($100 for a set), but don't work on a western system. Western glasses adapters work on Mark III however (and Japanese MS doesn't need them)

good info, thanks D lo! i'm assuming you can't just say, wire it to work with a controller like the genny's that already has a pause button, then?

also, that combo came up again on another community, same FM & component modded SMS + everdrive + controller + 3D glasses, this time for $225 which really isn't bad, i'm just strapped. gonna see if i can work something out!

D.Lo

good info, thanks D lo! i'm assuming you can't just say, wire it to work with a controller like the genny's that already has a pause button, then?
Yes it could be done, but would be equally tricky. The standard method is to create a new button that 'impossibly' hits up and down at the same time.

The Sg1000 line of controllers uses the DB9 lines to ground a powered line corresponding to a button when pressed, so there’s a whole line for each button/direction, plus ground.

I covered a bit of it here:

https://nintendosegajapan.com/2015/...pter-to-an-original-sg-1000-home-made-jc-100/

An additional pin was used for the light gun in western systems, and the Mega Drive added a 5V power line and uses switching to enable more buttons.

So, it could be done the same way, by using up+down, and rewiring that to say the A button (meaning A would no longer work if it was played on an actual Mega Drive/Genesis anymore) would be the best way to do it.

It could maybe be done more cleanly, to use any MD controller, with a new microcontroller, but now we're getting into very fancy mod territory.

Really Sega made a right old mess by building their controllers on top of ancient tech (the DB9 connector).

Khaz

It could maybe be done more cleanly, to use any MD controller, with a new microcontroller, but now we're getting into very fancy mod territory.

I don't think anyone has ever done it. You'd have to rewire all the pins of the controller port and add a new demultiplexer to interpret the Genesis controller. I'm just fine with the Pause button on the console now.

BTails

^props btails!! i gotta finish that one one day, how long did it take? wish i had savestates, haha

It took roughly an hour to go through, I actually beat it the first time I played it! If I was crazy like Timu, I think I could pretty easily do a no-death run, haha. The key is to always have the best weapon: the hammer.

There's four main weapons, and a number of sub weapons. The main weapons are as follows: Knife (Fast, not powerful, short range). Axe (Slow, powerful, short range). Sword (Fast, not powerful, long range). Hammer (Slow, powerful, long range).

Whereas the sword is faster, the axe is the best weapon, as it kills most enemies in one hit. Once you get the timing down, you're pretty unstoppable, minus some cheap shots from bats and other flying enemies.

D.Lo

I don't think anyone has ever done it. You'd have to rewire all the pins of the controller port and add a new demultiplexer to interpret the Genesis controller. I'm just fine with the Pause button on the console now.
Yeah exactly, quite a operation on the console side to make a normal MD pad work.

You could relatively easily make a modified MD pad that worked with the standard pause button MS mod, but it would of course no longer work with the original console.

ultimos

Neo Member
I'm a long time fan of Chrontendo and Generation-16, which are YouTube shows that showcase every game on the NES and Sega Genesis chronologically. Has anyone found one of equal quality for the Sega Master System? I know about Chronsega, but it's not quite what I'm looking for, as it also includes the Genesis, and I'd like to watch something more SMS focused. Not to mention that Dr Sparkle is getting wayy in over his head.

I got some box protectors for Mark III custom made, pretty sweet:

Also the collection is getting a bit out of control, such beautiful boxes though...

I still never understood why they used anime style art for Sukeban Deka instead of pictures of the actresses.

D.Lo

I still never understood why they used anime style art for Sukeban Deka instead of pictures of the actresses.
Well no other M3 games have photos on the cover, so just keeping the style I guess? Who knows.

It's not a particularly good game anyway.

Well no other M3 games have photos on the cover, so just keeping the style I guess? Who knows.

It's not a particularly good game anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. Sukeban Deka 3 used anime style art on Famicom. Also that one is absolutely terrible. Keeping with quality I guess. A shame really, I like those shows.

IrishNinja

^goddamn, those scores are harsh for Rastan...it's a great port, still in my top 10 for the system!
and yeah this Wonder Boy III remake is looking cool

Top Bottom