• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

Are there any games that come on cards that are worth even the slightest bit of damns?

My whole collection thus far are cartridges. I kind of want at least 1 card game just so that port gets used at least once, lol.

4z627YA.jpg

Spy vs Spy is a great port! Teddy Boy and Ghost House are pretty cool too. But yeah, your choices are extremely limited when it comes to the card format. =p

jay

Isn't Spy Vs Spy also on carts?

You could always get the My Hero card. That game only sucks a lot.

IrishNinja

yeah i hear the hit detection on My Hero is brutal, which is funny cause i looked high & low for that as a kid who wanted Double Dragon type've beat-em-ups. F-16 Fighting Falcon is also not worth remembering.

Spy vs Spy is an underrated 2 player game that's perfect for trolling your older brother who jacked your master system, by the way.

Dehnus

^never saw the Zillion anime, that's awesome! man i had it in my head forever that when Marty tries pretending he's from the future (in Back to the Future 1) he was rocking sega 3D glasses & that gun, heh

this caused so much heartache, for real
i was so jelly that all the other kids could pause from where they sat, and not fear accidentally pushing the reset button in a hurry

this, all day...there's so many games id not've finished without that thing!
Fantasy Zone though...i got to the last guy, it's so cheap though. old SHMUPs are so mean, you die with your good weapon and that's it, all those hours are lost cause you've not chance at all..

wow, props on navigating that....idve had to pause every few seconds to wipe the pad!

and it sounds like Alex in Shinobi is gonna be something i play a few times & just leave on the shelf, heh

you know, it's only on YT videos i see & remember that, but i do miss it

i used to pretend he was cooler than Mario in the pre-Sonic days, but yeah...still wanna play Segagaga to see how he ended up, haha
you know? i don't get why people liked Miracle World and some hated Enchanted Castle or whatever on Genesis; yeah there's more rock/paper/scissors but it's a proper sequel!

it's just weird looking back at the Alex Kidd games and seeing all the variance each one had. Lost Stars was literally nothing like Miracle World, infinitely easier.

no, but i did damn near beat Miracle fucking Warriors, and Super Hydlide on Genesis (though you'dve prolly believed it was an SMS title)

and im glad to see Golvellius remembered! no idea why it gets called a zelda clone so much, i guess there's influenced bits but i didnt think it much when playing it. shame we never got that sequel...

ps damn never even saw Ninja Gaiden back then either

The underwater world was dead easy if you used some of the items you received and easy when you find out you can rest against the top spikes.

You just have to not push up and gently float up, you're head will then just bump into the top spikes without ever killing you.

And Miracle World, in my opinion, is the best of the Alex Kidd series. Enchanted castle was a terrible game in comparison. Now BMX trial was a nice spin off, but not much more than that. Had they kept the core game mechanics of Miracle world and allowed for a full 2D scrolling plane of play and a different Power Up System that (Like how Super Mario Bros. Evolved to Super Mario Bros 3). Alex Kidd would have done all right.

Never owned one iirc, did buy Double Dragon to play on a mates. Clipping through and walking up the walls was interesting.

Outrun in 3D was pretty cool too, was pissed Sega never made 3D glasses for the Mega Drive.

IrishNinja

And Miracle World, in my opinion, is the best of the Alex Kidd series. Enchanted castle was a terrible game in comparison

eh, i still don't understand why Enchanted gets such a bad rap, extra Jan-ken-po aside...there's a great deal intact from Miracle World, biggest change i could recall was hitting blocks & having them fly across the screen instead of just breaking.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Does anyone else still remember the Paper Rock Scissors winning combinations in Alex Kidd?

I think they are permanently imprinted in my brain.

IrishNinja

was there actually a pattern? i swear, id get the telepathy ball and 90% of the time id just leave one thing until the very very end and then at the last moment, change it to draw or win.

Pretty confident I'm not getting that Master System I bought off a guy on the Nintendo Age forums three weeks ago. Sucks since it was already svideo modded. The tracking number he gave me two weeks after I paid still shows it hasn't been shipped.

Messaged him on the forums on Monday then emailed him to his paypal address Thursday, no response. Probably give him until Tuesday to respond before I file the complaint with paypal. What a pain.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
was there actually a pattern? i swear, id get the telepathy ball and 90% of the time id just leave one thing until the very very end and then at the last moment, change it to draw or win.

There was yeah, first was rock-scissors, next was scissors paper and so on.

IrishNinja

^damn, prolly wouldn'tve taken me 5 years to beat if i'dve paid attention to stuff like that

Pretty confident I'm not getting that Master System I bought off a guy on the Nintendo Age forums three weeks ago. Sucks since it was already svideo modded. The tracking number he gave me two weeks after I paid still shows it hasn't been shipped.

Messaged him on the forums on Monday then emailed him to his paypal address Thursday, no response. Probably give him until Tuesday to respond before I file the complaint with paypal. What a pain.

this sucks to hear man, i've been in this spot - it's not hard to get the charges reversed on paypal, just a bummer when things don't pan out. if he doesn't get back to you by then, i think negative feedback is called for as well.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My beloved history with the SMS:

I was born before the NES or SMS came out. Truth be told, I remember an Atari 2600 as the first console in my household. It didn't last long, however. I remember it breaking by the time I was four. I do remember playing Galaxian on it, though, which I thought was awesome at the time.

Shortly after, I remember that we bought or acquired an NES. We had it for a couple of years and then it died, as those pieces of shit oftentimes did. I remember a tiny bit of sunlight in our basement being able to reach the NES and I always blamed this sunlight for killing the NES before it had a chance. LOL. I did go through all the cart slapping, air-blowing and creative position to get the games to work before we finally consigned the system to the trash heap. I played many classics and loved many of the games, most notably SMB and SMB3 (one of the greatest games of all-time, I will still contend)

Luckily, my older brothers (I was probably 5 at the time), were into gaming as much as 10 and 12 year olds could be. They bought an SMS, which at the time was still the newest console on the market (I remember them discussing getting a Turbo Grafx-16 a year or so later, funny enough. We held off and eventually got a Genesis)

The Master System was incredible. The graphics were so much better in my eyes than the NES, the games were unique and oftentimes better representations of games we loved in the arcades, and we played all of our games for HOURS. We were a very influential family in the neighborhood, which led to many other familes on the block buying Master Systems. I am sure we were one of the few neighborhoods in America with a healthy SMS presence. This allowed us to trade and buy games between us.

Game memories I remember:

Altered Beast: I loved the music, the graphics, the power ups, the voices and the difficulty. The audio sucks now, to be sure, but at the time I much preferred the butchered audio of the SMS ports to the clarity of the arcade and eventual Genesis versions. :p Obviously, I derive my internet namesake from this game and the memories of playing it.

Trans Bot: Our one card game we had at the time. It stopped working (or perhaps it was the card slot itself) after a couple of years, but I remember playing this game a lot. It was not excellent, though.

Ghostbusters: I was apparently a wizard at guessing, as I was able to come up with a code for this game that allowed us to start with millions of dollars. This allowed us to skip the crappy Economy car and jump right into the good stuff. I loved the ghost-catching moments, climbing the stairs and avoiding the Stay-Puft man and the very difficult and rewarding fight against Zuul. Loved the music and gameplay of this one.

Rastan: Holy shit, why does no one talk about this game? I remember my mom getting on us about the blood in this game. LOL. If only she could see what games have become nowadays... The music was incredible. This game was damn near impossible, but I beat it a few years ago after giving it the time it deserved. One of my most played games ever and I still whistle the death music ALL THE TIME. I always related it to the end of Pearl Jam's Jeremy for some reason, even though I realize they don't actually sound the same. I remember playing this on our old 13" black and white TV. I memorized which flasks contained poison vs health as trial-and-error, since there was no way to determine which was which without color! Great, great game!

Great Football: I loved the totally unconventional gameplay on this game. It was, in reality terrible. You could even run off of one edge of the screen and appear at the other side! LOL. We had tournaments of this game all the time.

Reggie Jackson's Baseball: One of the greatest baseball games, ever, in my opinion. Loved the HR Derby. The Milwaukee Brewers were POWERHOUSES in this game. When you beaned a batter, the benches would clear and they would fight in this hiarious two-frame animation. Years later, we still act it out randomly, especially when we play pick-up whiffle ball games at family reunions.

Rocky: Has anyone beat this damn game? Hell, even just getting past the training events were tough! Trying to beat Clubber Lang, much less Ivan Drago was damn near impossible. In fact, I cannot remember beating this game, even in adulthood.

Great Basketball: Way better than Great Football, and actually a decent basketball game. Loved the gameplay of this game, for sure.

Great Volleyball: Loved the fact that this game was about rival nations playing. It was a lot of fun.

Lord of the Sword: Nobody talks about this game, but it was an awesome side-scrolling adventure game. For me, the graphics were mind-blowing at the time. It was a very difficult game and one I never beat. This particular memory is making me want to bust out my SMS and play it again... hmmmmm

Miracle Warriors: Another awesome game that nobody talks about. I guess this was supposed to be the SMS' answer to Final Fantasy. I don't know about that, but I thought it was amazing at the time. It was such a deep game, I could never get enough. This is another one I intend to play again sometime in the near future...

Golvellius: Music, graphics, gameplay and the size of the world impressed the hell out of me in this game. At the time, I pimped this game out against Zelda. I possibly still would. I really would have to play the game again to decide...

Space Harrier: Another game I absolutely loved as a kid. The graphics were, once again, absolutely mind-blowing. Obviously not as good as other versions, but the scrolling was just a thing of beauty.

Hang-On: This one was built-into my SMS. I loved the changing landcapes and daylight sequences. This game was incredible at the time. This is the reason I still expect games to be built into systems, dag nabbit!

Action Fighter: Incredible game and I loved the alphabet-collecting aspect. Anytime you could upgrade the car/plane and advance through the game, you had to feel like a bad-ass. What a novel concept. This made Spy Hunter look stupid, in my opinion. Gotta go listen to the music of this one soon...

Alex Kidd in Miracle World: I would put this game up against anything in the 8-bit era. We had a ton of fun with this one and it was simply beautiful and colorful.

Rambo: First Blood Part II: Awesome top-down shooter. Loved throwing grenades back at fools. One of my most played games of the era, too. I loved how you could dodge the bullets (white balls, lol) that the enemies would fire. Saving hostages never felt so good.

Shinobi: Incredible music. Still comes into my mind all the time. I was never good at the little bonus rounds with the throwing stars, but I was damn good overall.

Kung Fu Kid: My brother's claim to fame was his ability to beat this game routinely without ever being touched. Not even once. That is hardcore shit right there.

Black Belt: This might have made more sense had they kept the Fist of the North Star branding all over it. Even still, exploding fools with your punches and kicks was AWESOME. Even more so during the boss battles when you got to see them getting TORE up.

After Burner: This beat the shit out of Top Gun on NES. That is all I have to say about that...I will never hear "Get Ready" without thinking of this game...

Alien Syndrome: Difficult game, never played it a ton, but I always wanted to beat this one very badly. This spooked me when I was a kid... :p

Captain Silver: Loved this swashbuckling adventure. I always laughed, even as a kid, that they recycled sound effects for this game in some other SMS game. I cannot think of it right now (maybe Kenseiden?), but it always cracked me up)

Spell Caster: Another jaw-dropper for graphics and gameplay. I would put this against any side-scrolling action rpgs of the era, without a doubt. This game was awesome. The magic was really fun to use and it was just all around awesome.

Choplifter: Never was able to beat this one, but there was something strangely satisfying about saving and accidentally killing some of the hostages. LOL.

Cloud Master: This was, in my opinion, the most artful game of the generation. It was simply beautiful, had an amazing soundtrack and the gameplay was very unique for side-scrolling shooters. The backgrounds really remind me of ancient Japanese art and has such a beautiful vibe.

Cyborg Hunter: This game was awesome because you had to balance so many facets at once and trying to remember where the hell to go. I really enjoyed this one, but never beat it.

Double Dragon: Have fun trying to play co-op on your NES version. Woop woop!! Loved this game and trying to get through it with my brothers.

Fantasy Zone I and II: Liked these, but loved Cloud Master a lot more.

Ghost House: Hated this game as a kid! LOL

Great Ice Hockey: I will admit, Ice Hockey on NES was better than this, but I still enjoyed playing it!

OutRun: Best music, in my opinion, in any racing game of all-time. Who can contend against this? Honestly.

Pro Wrestling: My family has never watched wrestling ever. We made/make fun of people who do. But we loved the hell out of this game! Loved the tag-team aspect and the over-the top characters.

R-Type: How did NES owners console themselves while not having the best side-scrolling shooter of the generation? This game is a damn classic and I still think about the epic boss fights, the innovative ship upgrades and the awesome graphics. Anyone who missed out on this one owes it to themselves to check it out NOW.

R.C. Grand Prix: The cause of and solution to many fights in the family. This game made RC Pro Am its bitch. I loved the upgrades and the gameplay. Lapping fools or sending opponents into a wall was a very satisfying feeling.

Spy vs Spy: Never liked this game. Played it a lot, but it was too methodical and slow for me.

Super Tennis: Best Tennis game in 8-bit, in my opinion. I am sure many will disagree. But my sore thumbs and blistered fingers would argue with you.

Thunder Blade: Space Harrier as a helicopter? Sign me up! This game was another incredible one for me in the graphics department.

Vigilante: Bad ass game. It was the beat-em-up I judged all others afterwards.

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?: This game single-handedly taught me about world geography. I loved it. It was a tough game for a kid, especially once we lost the manual that featured country flags and names, etc. LOL.

Wonderboy in Monsterland: I have made threads about this game in the past. It is one of the top 10 games of the generation across all platforms, in my opinion. Tell me I am wrong! I still crack up thinking that my cart mistakenly said, "Super Wonder Boy in Super Monsterland" or something like that. How do you misprint the name of the game on the cart.

Monopoly: We never played this a ton, but I loved how my cart said Mono Poly. Come on, now!

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap: Did someone say contender for the throne with Wonderboy in Monsterland? The ability to morph into different characters set this one apart from all other games. It confused the hell out of me at first that it starts at the end of the previous game, but after that, it is GRAVY.

Ys: The Vanished Omens: Beautiful game. I still am pissed that I got stuck in some damn cave. You would crack up seeing this sheet of paper I tried to map out my location in, too. I might have to go back and finish this one some time, though. I really enjoyed it.

Zillion: Loved this action scroller, but I loved Zillion II: The Tri-Formation better. Faster, more variation and better graphics. I loved the bike portions and the concentration those sections required.

Rampage: We loved this game as kids, but this game sucks now. Really can't stand it, but we played this thing for hours and hours at the time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a hell of a lot of games that we played!! I mean really, how many other kids could play one system so in-depth and have so many games?!! We never got the 3D glasses, and we were never able to buy Phantasy Star (I have acquired both years later), but this is still, BY FAR, my favorite system and gaming memories of all-time, with the Dreamcast and Saturn in close second and third, respectively.

Kids who had an SMS knew what being unique and having access to incredible and unique games was all about. I loved the Power Stick, too. A left-handed stick was so unqiue and great at the time, especially since I and most of my brothers are left-handed. I remember the top part of the stick eventually snapped and we rubber-banded it back on. Classic stuff!

My beloved history with the SMS:

I was born before the NES or SMS came out. Truth be told, I remember an Atari 2600 as the first console in my household. It didn't last long, however. I remember it breaking by the time I was four. I do remember playing Galaxian on it, though, which I thought was awesome at the time.

Shortly after, I remember that we bought or acquired an NES. We had it for a couple of years and then it died, as those pieces of shit oftentimes did. I remember a tiny bit of sunlight in our basement being able to reach the NES and I always blamed this sunlight for killing the NES before it had a chance. LOL. I did go through all the cart slapping, air-blowing and creative position to get the games to work before we finally consigned the system to the trash heap. I played many classics and loved many of the games, most notably SMB and SMB3 (one of the greatest games of all-time, I will still contend)

Luckily, my older brothers (I was probably 5 at the time), were into gaming as much as 10 and 12 year olds could be. They bought an SMS, which at the time was still the newest console on the market (I remember them discussing getting a Turbo Grafx-16 a year or so later, funny enough. We held off and eventually got a Genesis)

The Master System was incredible. The graphics were so much better in my eyes than the NES, the games were unique and oftentimes better representations of games we loved in the arcades, and we played all of our games for HOURS. We were a very influential family in the neighborhood, which led to many other familes on the block buying Master Systems. I am sure we were one of the few neighborhoods in America with a healthy SMS presence. This allowed us to trade and buy games between us.

Game memories I remember:

Altered Beast: I loved the music, the graphics, the power ups, the voices and the difficulty. The audio sucks now, to be sure, but at the time I much preferred the butchered audio of the SMS ports to the clarity of the arcade and eventual Genesis versions. :p Obviously, I derive my internet namesake from this game and the memories of playing it.

Trans Bot: Our one card game we had at the time. It stopped working (or perhaps it was the card slot itself) after a couple of years, but I remember playing this game a lot. It was not excellent, though.

Ghostbusters: I was apparently a wizard at guessing, as I was able to come up with a code for this game that allowed us to start with millions of dollars. This allowed us to skip the crappy Economy car and jump right into the good stuff. I loved the ghost-catching moments, climbing the stairs and avoiding the Stay-Puft man and the very difficult and rewarding fight against Zuul. Loved the music and gameplay of this one.

Rastan: Holy shit, why does no one talk about this game? I remember my mom getting on us about the blood in this game. LOL. If only she could see what games have become nowadays... The music was incredible. This game was damn near impossible, but I beat it a few years ago after giving it the time it deserved. One of my most played games ever and I still whistle the death music ALL THE TIME. I always related it to the end of Pearl Jam's Jeremy for some reason, even though I realize they don't actually sound the same. I remember playing this on our old 13" black and white TV. I memorized which flasks contained poison vs health as trial-and-error, since there was no way to determine which was which without color! Great, great game!

Great Football: I loved the totally unconventional gameplay on this game. It was, in reality terrible. You could even run off of one edge of the screen and appear at the other side! LOL. We had tournaments of this game all the time.

Reggie Jackson's Baseball: One of the greatest baseball games, ever, in my opinion. Loved the HR Derby. The Milwaukee Brewers were POWERHOUSES in this game. When you beaned a batter, the benches would clear and they would fight in this hiarious two-frame animation. Years later, we still act it out randomly, especially when we play pick-up whiffle ball games at family reunions.

Rocky: Has anyone beat this damn game? Hell, even just getting past the training events were tough! Trying to beat Clubber Lang, much less Ivan Drago was damn near impossible. In fact, I cannot remember beating this game, even in adulthood.

Great Basketball: Way better than Great Football, and actually a decent basketball game. Loved the gameplay of this game, for sure.

EDIT: accidentally posted, so I will continue my trip down memory lane in a few minutes

I feel you on Rastan, man. That game was awesome.

For the record, I did beat Rocky...don't think I could do it know, though. It's literally been over 20 years since I played that game.

There was a place near where I lived that rented SMS games (along with NES games...and eventually SNES and Genesis). I rented Rocky a couple times...i think on the 3rd rental, I'd finally go good enough at it to finish it.

IrishNinja

definitely with you here; Rastan is top 10 for me, just a great port all around. obviously the one on Taito Legends 2 is closer to the arcade & sounds amazing but this one really went better than i'd hoped for at the time, and i used to beat it regularly outta love.

also my buddy lost his copy of Rocky but he swears he beat it once, but the last fight was impossible!

How was the 3d on this? Was it any good? I always envied this system so much as a kid.

mind you, i was a kid & only had Missile Defense & Zaxxon 3D, but to this day i still feel i was more impressed with the 3D effect there than any i've seen since.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Rastan really was incredible to me.

Rocky's Drago fight to me was more difficult than beating Mike Tyson in MT: Punchout!

I finished my post, by the way. Not that anyone probably cares, but I loved reliving all those childhood memories!

The SMS was incredible and will always be landmark for me. I remember about 14 years ago, I got broke and desperate and sold my system, controllers and about 50 games for like 125 dollars. WTF. How stupid can you get!

I have since tried to rebuy most of my collection, but it will never be the same. I think I have around 40 games or so. Now that I am making a lot more money in my job, I plan on completing my SMS collection in the next couple of years. I have most of the valuable ones already, including Phantasy Star, Alf and even Virtua Fighter Animation (Brazil only release, LOL!)

baphomet

I really hope viletim gets done more of those FM synthesis boards made up soon. Hopefully he'll cut me a deal for helping update those nes rgb boards and covering return shipping. Either way Im looking forward to checking one out.

IrishNinja

^hopefully! still kills me that games like Phantasy Star (US) won't support it anyway, i guess there's Rampage & some others...i've been told it's either import a JP system or get a master system everdrive, neither of which sound great

T-0800

Pretty easy actually. The only way to beat Drago though is max out your stats or whatever in the training. Do that and you win easily. Don't and...... 'you lose'.

Really good from what I remember.

Fun fact, the conversion was actually done by Compile. It's an interesting version of R-Type with a unique level, but if you're looking for something closer to arcade, there are better options elsewhere (PCE, PS1, Xbox 360, PS3).

Man, this thread is giving me the urges to buy more Master System stuff, especially a bunch of games released in the 80s that are a bit hard to find over here on Portugal.

Miracle Warriors, Golvellius, Spellcaster, both Zillions are on top of my list.

Mzo

All the sprites are pretty small, making the game feel more like Gradius than R-Type. It's still pretty well made and fun to play.

jay

Nice list, AlteredBeast. Makes me want to get my old website back online so I can link to my Golvellius and Miracle Warriors write ups.

eh, i still don't understand why Enchanted gets such a bad rap, extra Jan-ken-po aside...there's a great deal intact from Miracle World, biggest change i could recall was hitting blocks & having them fly across the screen instead of just breaking.

The hit detection was off or something. Jump kicking seemed to always lead to death.

IrishNinja

The hit detection was off or something. Jump kicking seemed to always lead to death.

oh, right, that - yeah it's been years but as i recall, it's part hit detection, part dumb alex actually did the kick near the apex of the jump i wanna say? if you don't time it just right you get dead, a lot. i got used to it but it's not good.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nothing touches Miracle World. It was the platformer of its time against SMB. Mario Bros is better, mind you, but I killed that game for a couple of years. Awesome music, bright and colorful graphics, excellent gameplay mechanics, etc.

IrishNinja

^i just don't get why CIB Miracle World is so much these days, im totally never buying it back till i find it at a garage sale...that was one of the most common games on the SMS i thought.

ps RIP to you too

Has anyone ever beaten Ghost House? Or even just the first three levels?
240px-Ghosthousecard.jpg

My brother and I spent last Christmas trying to beat it on an emulator without cheating, and there's no way we could beat the last dracula on Level 3.

^i just don't get why CIB Miracle World is so much these days, im totally never buying it back till i find it at a garage sale...that was one of the most common games on the SMS i thought.

I paid a good deal for CIB Miracle World because it was the first game I'd ever played. I still think it's worth the money.

How do I connect the Master System 2 to an old TV? I'm in the UK with a UK console and TV.
I'm going the aerial route for this, because that's what I've got, but I can't for the life of me remember what connects to where :lol.

I had a load of wires in a box, some of them aren't for the Master System I'm guessing, so I'll list off what I've got here:
A Master System 2 (two actually, one with Alex Kidd built in, and one with Sonic 1).
The AC adaptor.
A little metal box with a slider on it called a SEGA MK-3092 Antenna.
This thing.
A similar wire to that but the end of the connection looks like E-
A TV aerial.

I managed to get it hooked up, but the picture was completely fuzzy as anything/I think it had colour for like 3 seconds, so I'm guessing I had it hooked up incorrectly, as the Mega Drive looks fine, or as good as a Mega Drive connected by an aerial can look.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated, and any suggestion of how to connect it to a TV with SCART cables (I can find SCART leads for the Mega Drive/Master System 1, but nothing for two) would be appreciated more so.

Mzo

The Master System's native RGB is glorious. Standard composite is absolute garbage. I almost fell on my ass the first time I saw it hooked up right.

I ordered a Master System from eBay this week, still waiting for it to be delivered. I currently have Sonic 2 and Transbot sitting on my shelf waiting with Sonic Chaos awaiting delivery. The Master System boxes an carts are oddly chunkier than I remembered, but really awesome. I love how cartridges just feel.

Neff

The Master System's native RGB is glorious. Standard composite is absolute garbage. I almost fell on my ass the first time I saw it hooked up right.

Sega consoles always have excellent RGB right out of the box. A stark contrast to Nintendo which coasted on composite only in Europe until the Gamecube (unless you took it upon yourself to mod your NES/SNES/N64 that is). Even Sony knew what was up and implemented RGB with their first console.

Sega consoles always have excellent RGB right out of the box. A stark contrast to Nintendo which coasted on composite only in Europe until the Gamecube (unless you took it upon yourself to mod your NES/SNES/N64 that is). Even Sony knew what was up and implemented RGB with their first console.

I wonder if Sega's propensity toward RGB had to do with their arcade origins. Arcade monitors are RGB. Sure, Nintendo did arcade games too, but they got out of the business in what, 1984?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wonder if Sega's propensity toward RGB had to do with their arcade origins. Arcade monitors are RGB. Sure, Nintendo did arcade games too, but they got out of the business in what, 1984?

Well there was the Playchoice-10

IrishNinja

good point, i always assumed it was just nintendo's desire to sell systems starting at $200 and make as good a profit up front as possible...weird that SNES did RGB where others didn't, but at least we got that

Basically, but it was an RGB board inside. Some people consolize those boards as a way to get native RGB on an NES.

man i remember considering this but it's so expensive and makes you a monster, plus looking at its palette from my switch now some colors are indeed funky

Top Bottom