• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

It was all about Missile Defense 3D with the light gun, Zaxxon 3d, Maze Hunter 3D, and After Burner, and Phantasy Star for me!

scan2436.jpg

missile_defense_3d.gif

sega-light-phaser.jpg

sega-master-system-zaxxon-3d.jpg

Maze_Hunter_3D.jpg

698836-afterburner_segams.jpg

IrishNinja

^nice! i keep getting confused; do the 3D glasses work from the genesis power base converter port or no? i recall them not but maybe it was just mine

I am sure I remember reading that they do work, since the converter has the required Card input.
I don't have any 3D games/glasses to test it with though.

woodypop

look at that sexy backwards stick, me & my bother used those forever

nah im heading over to the only bookstore in town that carries em tomorrow and hoping for the best but i usually show up after they're gone & they won't hold shit. gonna track that one down on ebay if nothing else, really debating subbing to them one day for stuff like this but damn its like $130 or so a year i wanna say
Do you have Barnes & Noble in your area? They carry Retro Gamer, at least around here (Seattle) they do. But I I actually buy my issues from an independent newsstand. They gimme a call whenever they arrive. I used to subscribe, but I think the cost was fairly comparable to buying the issues in-store.

I don't yet have the latest issue, but damn that's a sexy cover!

^nice! i keep getting confused; do the 3D glasses work from the genesis power base converter port or no? i recall them not but maybe it was just mine

I am sure I remember reading that they do work, since the converter has the required Card input.
I don't have any 3D games/glasses to test it with though.

I can test later. I have the Base converter and recentely got a complete Master System unit including the pistol, glasses and some games.

But I think it works.

Now back to the games... my eyes, my poor eyes. Maze Hunter was great back at the time, played a lot, but for sure it is vertigo inducer.

IrishNinja

Do you have Barnes & Noble in your area? They carry Retro Gamer, at least around here (Seattle) they do. But I I actually buy my issues from an independent newsstand. They gimme a call whenever they arrive. I used to subscribe, but I think the cost was fairly comparable to buying the issues in-store.

I don't yet have the latest issue, but damn that's a sexy cover!

yup, it's a B&N! not too terribly far but i only get a few chances a month to go over there, and i think they get a few copies around the 2nd or 3rd week each month, which has me fearing that it's sold out again. man i wish i had an indie newstand around here!

woodypop

Went to the Seattle Retro Gaming Expo over the weekend and picked up Castle of Illusion. Been meaning to give this a go, as I've heard in some ways it bests even the Genesis game.

F84B401A-9B18-43E2-9AD0-BCB5C998CA8A-20665-000010CED9E0ABDA_zpsc12df162.jpg

And my newsstand just got in the latest Retro Gamer today! Happy happy, joy joy!!

B68A0F47-63B2-4B6B-B81A-5780EA4CEA35-20665-000010CEB8B8FB0B_zps2032111f.jpg

Spotlights the mighty Master System and has a cool Capcom: 30 Years, 30 Games list. Can't wait to read!

IrishNinja

HNNNGHH still salty barnes & nobles sold out of the paltry 3 or so issues they got before i could grab mine this month, and of course it's about the SMS (;_;) now i get to pay jacked up ebay prices for it, sucks. i really am gonna sub to them after i pay some bills this year.

woodypop

^ Are you sure it's already come and gone in your area, Irish? It just hit newsstands today in Seattle. My Barnes & Noble probably just got it today, too. Then again, you are on the East Coast, so maybe your area got it in advance of us. Just surprises me that there would be as long as a few weeks' difference.

IrishNinja

hmm...how much further back do we get them vs EU? cause i had it in my head that cover was from last month's, but the B&N here does indeed get em around now/middle of the month too so maybe it was last month's issue i missed! time to justify another trip down south soon

woodypop

Yeah, I think we (the USA) get the issues about a month after they're released in the UK. The blurb page for issue 118 (the next issue) says it goes on sale July 18th, so we'll probably see that one around August 15th or so.

Jamix012

Question: Which Sega Master Systems were backwards compatitable with the SG-1000. Looking around the internet I can't seem to find a clear answer, can anyone help?

I also had this:

hang-on-card.gif

I was about 9 yrs old and never knew before that there were games released on these small cards instead of cartridges. Game worked perfectly.

What was the reason for going from small cards to larger cartridges? Was it the storage space?

It was probably cheaper to manufacture the cards, but as you can imagine, the larger cartridges had more ROM storage space for bigger games.

IrishNinja

never even saw a card for Hang-On, that's interesting...i can't even recall offhand seeing a standalone cart, they were always the combo Safari Hunt ones like i had

never even saw a card for Hang-On, that's interesting...i can't even recall offhand seeing a standalone cart, they were always the combo Safari Hunt ones like i had

I've never seen a boxed Hang On card, I can confirm that it used to be the pack in game on a card before the built it into the system. I used to have a full set of card games, but I sold them because they were going for crazy money at the time, I didn't like any of the games much anyway.

IrishNinja

not even My Hero, eh? heh...Spy vs Spy and Ghost House got heavy rotation from me in the day, no idea why i tried so hard at F-16 Fighting Falcon though.

wait so Hang-On card was the pack-in? cause i was a kid but i was pretty sure i had a launch (or near launch) SMS and it brought the standard hang-on/safari hunt cart, with snail built into the machine. was the standalone card predating that, or maybe a different region?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I still have a ton of my SMS stuff in storage out in California.

I always wondered why there was never an emulator for SMS with kaillera.

not even My Hero, eh? heh...Spy vs Spy and Ghost House got heavy rotation from me in the day, no idea why i tried so hard at F-16 Fighting Falcon though.

wait so Hang-On card was the pack-in? cause i was a kid but i was pretty sure i had a launch (or near launch) SMS and it brought the standard hang-on/safari hunt cart, with snail built into the machine. was the standalone card predating that, or maybe a different region?

I'm talking about PAL, I brought my Master System in 89 and Hang On was built in, I'm pretty sure it was on sale in the UK earlier about 87. I've seen the joypads that had the screw in Joystick in markets but never new.

LogicStep

It was my first console and it was great. Alex the Kidd was the hardest game I had played and it was my first game too. Never did beat it but I saw the ending on youtube and good thing I never finished, nothing special happens.

Dave Long

Banned
hmm...how much further back do we get them vs EU? cause i had it in my head that cover was from last month's, but the B&N here does indeed get em around now/middle of the month too so maybe it was last month's issue i missed! time to justify another trip down south soon
You should check now. The new issue of Retro Gamer only got to B&N last Tuesday I think. I picked mine up like Thursday at lunchtime.

I really should just subscribe. I love the magazine so much.

IrishNinja

yeah, i had those pads! and the left-handed sticks too, heh

You should check now. The new issue of Retro Gamer only got to B&N last Tuesday I think. I picked mine up like Thursday at lunchtime.

I really should just subscribe. I love the magazine so much.

yeah, sadly we sold out but my man WoodyPop sent me a copy on the house (and a collected edition, too!), so now i gotta pay it forward with someone else here next time! and yeah man, me too, its like $130 to sub over here but once i pay down some bills ima do it. do we have a retrogamer thread? man i wish we did

pmj

The Master System was the first console that was my own. I still remember convincing my mom to buy me a Nintendo, and then having the salesperson talking my mom into getting the Sega instead because it was cheaper and because Sega would soon be just as big and popular as Nintendo. The disappointment I initially felt went away with the Wonderboy series. And then it returned when my mom convinced me to give the Master System to my cousins because I had the new Sega to play on, and when I wanted it back a few years later they had sold it, along with all my games.

Finally, I bought myself a ~$100 Master System starter pack consisting of two consoles, not quite enough cables to hook up said two consoles at the same time, and 16 mostly crappy games all in questionable condition, none with manuals. It's depressing how people treat their games; mine were always in great condition and complete with box, manual, and inserts. And what the fuck is up with people cutting off the plastic holder flap?

Now I gotta work on replacing my collection, and I've been wondering what's up with some of the auctions claiming the games to be new. How is that even possible? Even if I don't intend on becoming a crazy collector that needs everything to be in perfect order, I guess it would rub me the wrong way if I knew I was giving my money to a chinese factory making pirated copies or something.

as a someone who grew up without owning an NES, the sega master system was my best friend. my first console. my first exposure to video games. countless hours spent on Basketball Nightmare, Double Dragon, Hang On, Aerial Assault...those were the good old days.

I really should dig it up again.

Natetan

I've only seen a master system once in my life. A family friend had a kid with one, and we played it a bit when I went to there house once when i was really little. We played alex kidd in miracle world, and it was the first time I saw the likeness of an onigiri.

It was pretty fun.

qq more

By the way, how good is the Power Base Converter? Does it play games accurately and is region free? I've been thinking of getting into collecting SMS games.

IrishNinja

By the way, how good is the Power Base Converter? Does it play games accurately and is region free? I've been thinking of getting into collecting SMS games.

i scarcely recall a game it didn't play...i keep saying F-16 Fighting Falcon but a) that's a card b) mine was scratchy c) fuck that game anyway

i thought 3D glasses had problems, but some on here say that's not the case. and i think the system was region free anyway? ive got what i think is an EU copy of Golden Axe Warrior & was told Master of Darkness would work as well. but yeah, must-have accessory!

The Master System is "region free" between the US and Europe, but Japanese games are region-locked, since they have a different cartridge pinout/port shape. You'd need an adapter (homemade or something, there aren't official ones I know of?) to play those. Of course though, the SMS died in Japan before the US, where it died long before Europe, so there aren't all that many Japanese-exclusive games... Europe/Brazil have most of the exclusives, and most of those will play on US systems (the exceptions are the few games which are PAL-optimized, but most aren't even if they only released there, or at least they also run on NTSC in most cases.).

Do know that some SMS games require actual Master System controller(s), though. Most games can be played on a Genesis controller, but to play all of them you will need a SMS controller or two. They use the same controller port shape (that 9-pin Atari-style port).

i scarcely recall a game it didn't play...i keep saying F-16 Fighting Falcon but a) that's a card b) mine was scratchy c) fuck that game anyway

i thought 3D glasses had problems, but some on here say that's not the case. and i think the system was region free anyway? ive got what i think is an EU copy of Golden Axe Warrior & was told Master of Darkness would work as well. but yeah, must-have accessory!
3d glasses will have big problems with anything that isn't a CRT, of course... but PAL/NTSC? I don't know. Are the glasses regioned?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure F-16 is the only game that doesn't work on the thing. It's a great accessory.

Master System is region free between US and PAL. Japanese games are a different shape.

SMS BC is all internalized in the Genesis. The converter just rearranges the cart pinouts to correctly correspond with Genesis.

Somebody is working on a 3rd-party SMS converter too, so it should be a more cost effective option than tracking down a first party one.

televator

SMS BC is all internalized in the Genesis. The converter just rearranges the cart pinouts to correctly correspond with Genesis.

Somebody is working on a 3rd-party SMS converter too, so it should be a more cost effective option than tracking down a first party one.

I think it's called the Power Base Mini?

There's actually a couple of things rolling out for the MD lately. Someone is making a much larger and cheaper CD back up cart. I can't wait for that one!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The Ninja is seriously one of the best games ever put on the SMS. If anyone here has never played it you should seriously check it out. Very underrated game.

qq more

Ah okay. No worries here.

The Master System is "region free" between the US and Europe, but Japanese games are region-locked, since they have a different cartridge pinout/port shape. You'd need an adapter (homemade or something, there aren't official ones I know of?) to play those. Of course though, the SMS died in Japan before the US, where it died long before Europe, so there aren't all that many Japanese-exclusive games... Europe/Brazil have most of the exclusives, and most of those will play on US systems (the exceptions are the few games which are PAL-optimized, but most aren't even if they only released there, or at least they also run on NTSC in most cases.).

Do know that some SMS games require actual Master System controller(s), though. Most games can be played on a Genesis controller, but to play all of them you will need a SMS controller or two. They use the same controller port shape (that 9-pin Atari-style port).

3d glasses will have big problems with anything that isn't a CRT, of course... but PAL/NTSC? I don't know. Are the glasses regioned?
Only country I'm importing from is Europe, so this is good to hear. Just about all the games I plan to get so far sounds safe.

I think it's called the Power Base Mini?

There's actually a couple of things rolling out for the MD lately. Someone is making a much larger and cheaper CD back up cart. I can't wait for that one!

I looked that up just now. 25 dollars ooooo And it's releasing mid-December! http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html

Also: " * We do not guarantee operation on clone hardware, except the the RetroN5." Yay!

Thanks everyone!

gunstarhero

The Ninja is seriously one of the best games ever put on the SMS. If anyone here has never played it you should seriously check it out. Very underrated game.

Agreed! Loved this game to death when I was a kid.

Was always curious about the arcade version, which featured a female ninja.

Wow, this thread is great. I never owned a Master system proper just a power base converter and three games: Wonderboy III, Golden Axe Warrior, and Phantasy Star.

Some of the collections pictured are awesome. Subscribed.

catmincer

I think once I've paid my debts down I'll collect the Ozisoft release SMS games. I've always wanted to collect for a game console heh. Plus SMS games are generally dirt cheap here.

ghibli99

This thread is wonderful.

I was one of two (known) kids at my junior high who had a Master System. Everyone else had Nintendo. Not sure what made me gravitate towards the SMS... maybe it was the sleek gun, maybe it was the misleading Toys R Us ad that showed a "Cobra Command" cartridge plugged into the system (at the time, I thought it was actually possible to fit a LaserDisc game on a cartridge LOL), maybe it was those mini joysticks you could screw into the control pads (and subsequently would break)... maybe I just wanted to be different.

Being a SMS kid was tough... none of the first-party Nintendo killer apps or the massive library of 3rd party titles. But when it hit, it would hit pretty hard. The Ninja (mentioned above) is definitely one of my early favorites. Nice graphics, challenge, and the music is terrific. Phantasy Star blew me away once I entered my first dungeon... oh, that music and the wonderful monster illustrations and animation. So good. Kenseiden was also a late entry that had some of the best 8-bit graphics I can remember. Fantasy Zone's soundtrack remains one of my favorites, and I actually preferred the SMS version to the arcade one.

Oh, and the Sega version of Nintendo Power sucked so bad... but that didn't stop me from reading it cover to cover nonstop.

I posted this scan I did on Reddit a while back... didn't get much action (much like the SMS itself, sadly!):

Edit: OMG, that Regular Show 3DS manual!

Harlock

Maybe the Master System is the console with the most amount of official hardware releases. Half by TecToy.

mastersystem_kotakubr-620x360.jpg

1383071375_539036968_1-Fotos-de--Master-System.jpg

Top Bottom