• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

MisterC20XX

strapboxart.jpg
phantasystarcover.jpg

Still gaming royalty as far as I'm concerned.

These two are my favorites by far. I always look back at Phantasy Star for my personal definition of a classic RPG. My other favorites included Zillion, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Ys The Vanished Omens and Fantasy Zone. Great idea for a thread, catmincer--subscribed!

RM8

I feel like my life is incomplete because I never owned / played a SMS :( Looks like such a fun little system. I bet it was glorious owning both this and a NES back in the day.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I loved action fighter as a youth.

No Rambo love!?!!?

That game was a blast and had co op.

Anyone know why there isn't any emulators with online support for SMS? I hope I'm wrong but I would love to be able to play my old games with the family.

charsace

SMS had better graphics than the NES, but the library was much worse overall. The good games were really damn good though. Though most people are more likely to have trash like My Hero in their collection.

driver116

What game is this?

Anyways, my favorite Master System-game is probably Alex the Kidd even though the jenken-stuff was pretty irritating. I also LOVE the Wonderboys, especially The Dragons Trap.

Top is Cyber Shinobi
Bottom Action Fighter

Yeah, Alex Kidd was a truly unique experience for me, there was something about the game I found slightly chilling - maybe the rising angel after death and turn to stone and die... The Janken matches were a strange occurrence - I used to know the moves off by heart.

Also, I love the box art designs for Master System games - the checkered backgrounds and Action, Arcade, Sports etc. tags and of course the glorious SEGA logo.

I need to sort out my retro collection, it is quite a mess right now (doing it in the next days).

I did not have anything Master System related until this thread. It inspires me to go back to some childhood memories.

I live in Brazil where Tectoy released almost every game in the Master System collection, plus some exclusives. However in the early life cycle they used cardboxes that did not resist well to aging. It is very difficult to find those games in acceptable conditions and when you find them they cost like 5x to 10x more than a US/Euro release.

For this reason I decided to collect US releases from the early MS years (1986-1988) and then swith to PAL releases when the game is not availabe in US. Exclusives releases I will still try to grab from each region, including Brazil. Every game should be completed with manual and posters.

This is the lot from this month:

US:

img0646ul.jpg

PAL:

img0648gh.jpg

and from Brazil:

img0647qg.jpg

The last one was quite expensive (it is sealed) but the market here is quite hot for the exclusive releases.

If anyone on retro-GAF needs help to track a specific Brazilian release let me know. But usually BIN prices here are around US$ 50 to US$ 100.

IrishNinja

Baku Baku looks fun, but Space Gun looks dope! there's no way i'dve seen that cover in the late 80's and not gotten it...shit i couldn't pass on it if i saw it on a shelf now

S!!!!!

I just lost an auction of a complete Golden Axe Warrior that ended at U$ 64 (and I was prepared to bid much more) becuase my boss came to my desk in the last 30 seconds of the auctions! I click on the ebay bid button but forgot to confirm it.

S!!!!!

I just lost an auction of a complete Golden Axe Warrior that ended at U$ 64 (and I was prepared to bid much more) becuase my boss came to my desk in the last 30 seconds of the auctions! I click on the ebay bid button but forgot to confirm it.

Time to upgrade to the mobile app lol

canocha

S!!!!!

Is it worth that much? I paid £22.90 with postage for mine (manual is a little rough on the edges)

Its a shame you lost the auction though... that shit and losing the internet connection in the last seconds of the auction!

Is it worth that much? I paid £22.90 with postage for mine (manual is a little rough on the edges)

Its a shame you lost the auction though... that shit and losing the internet connection in the last seconds of the auction!

A good complete in box with manual could be around US$ 100 these days if PAL version. NTSC should be much higher, but they are basicaly the same.

Just found another copy BIN at US$ 100. But I will leave for another day, I may get it cheaper on auctions.

I just calmed down.

IrishNinja

man, that's rough. i barely missed a PAL copy a while back that was like $30, shit killed me.

i accidentally bid the wrong amount on the mobile app (auction was in pounds, not dollars! i must not bid whilst drunk) and was salty to win one at like $55 but it turned out to be a deal for that price...man when i originally had that game in the day, no one was checking for it! crazy how much it goes for, yet Golvellius is worth like beans.

People might have seen this in the Genesis/Mega Drive thread, but I can join the conversation here now since I have a legit way to play Master System games :D

I'm actively looking for Sonic 1 and 2, as I have great memories of finishing the first one and getting destroyed by the second one.

I also remember fondly Wonder Boy 3: The Dragons's Trap, but I fear that'll be a little harder to come by.

Are there any other ESSENTIAL games I should be looking for to flesh out my collection?

Terra

I had a NES, my neighbor and childhood friend had a Master System and a Game Gear. I remember that I was very impressed with the Disney games. And yeah, The Dragons Trap of course!

I had a NES, my neighbor and childhood friend had a Master System and a Game Gear. I remember that I was very impressed with the Disney games. And yeah, The Dragons Trap of course!

I was in a similar situation, I had an NES and my friends had Master Systems and Mega Drives. I was always jealous of Sonic.

Terra

I was in a similar situation, I had an NES and my friends had Master Systems and Mega Drives. I was always jealous of Sonic.

Yeah, of course Sonic was good. My friends also had MS and MD (wich I actually got for 'next generation'). I was very impressed with Sonic 2 for the Master System. :)

Remembered seeing a second hand store with a bunch of Master System stuff. Went there today and picked out what seemed at least a little bit worthwhile to grab. Got most things apart from the various SPORTS 94 carts left :p

ibiCBJagZEJBvt.jpg

RunawayGroom

Neo Member
While i had a some model of atari 2600 and loved it too, the master system is the system that really started my love of videogames. I remember my brothers friend bringing it around our house i think around 1988 nor 89 with wonderboy in monster land, hang on/astro warriors double cart and world cup soccer and it was like love at first site, not even just for me, but for all my brothers who were adults and even my near 50 year old mother. Wonderboy in monster land is our SMB. I got one of my own for xmas that year with alex kidd built in and wonderboy 3, it was probably my favorite ever xmas lol

I loved the ninja, astro warriors, california games ( still one of the best multiplayer games to this day ) action fight and black belt too along with the classic wonderboy games ( which sega should rebirth ) and alex kidd

Funny to that i had a megadrive and didnt even know there was a wonderboy game on that system which i have and have yet to play on the VC

IrishNinja

^NinjaCatfish not bad! people clown My Hero but i wanted to play it in the day, looked cool in the sega catalog

and RunawayGroom - maybe i should try California Games multi, perhaps it'd click then?

RunawayGroom

Neo Member
Depends really, if you ain't keen on the mechanics maybe it wont click, but it is much better playing multiplayer yes

Another great game on master system, though it don't compare to the amiga version, super kick off, it probably the best footy game on the system. Very fast, it is probably a bitch to dribble these days, i remember it being difficult at the time. The only game i had where the name sticker on the cartridge was white.

RunawayGroom

Neo Member
I seem to remember a master syetem add on for megadrive? Is my memory off or on? I got two master system 2's, but ones in the loft and the other is at the back of my sisters cubard ( even she loved monster land, and she dont play games except for the odd tennis game ) and i recently pulled my megadrive out.

IrishNinja

^bookmarking & checking later, could be really awesome! PS1 is the only game ive heard the FM OST of but man was it an improvement

TriAceJP

I adore this console.

I am from the east coast USA and I have never met anyone else who has owned one. Hell, everyone refers to the Genesis as "Sega" (I had a Sega!) as if there was no predecessor.

It had so many stellar games with a certain level of charm that no other system delivered.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
^NinjaCatfish not bad! people clown My Hero but i wanted to play it in the day, looked cool in the sega catalog

It might look cool, but it really isn't all that great :p Obviously not the worst game ever, but it gets old fairly quickly.

Still better than Transbot, at least :lol

It might look cool, but it really isn't all that great :p Obviously not the worst game ever, but it gets old fairly quickly.

Still better than Transbot, at least :lol

I had some fun laughing at how absurd it is.
Walking with girlfriend, suddenly PUNKS come and steal her. So you go around jump-kicking and punching punks, killing them in a single hit and never getting tired. While in a suit. Also people in apartments throw bottles at you, which you can kick and they become missiles taking out even more punks.
Except you die after a single hit.

Not the greatest game, but it was so stupid that it was kinda fun just for that :p

gunstarhero

Lets just take a moment to marvel at the beauty of that post.

If I were to sum up my gaming childhood in only two games those are the very two games I would have to choose.

Phantasy Star and Zillion stand out in my childhood as pivotal moments. PS takes the crown though - no game has ever impacted me more since.

Doomshine

I'll just make a list of the games I have for it, I enjoyed most of them:

Asterix - Pretty and cool platformer
Rescue Mission - Great lightgun game
Double Dragon - No explanation needed
Psychic World - Pretty cool platformer with multiple weapons. Just don't accidentally select the suicide button :(
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - No explanation needed
The Lucky Dime Caper: Starring Donald Duck - Great platformer
Castle of Illusion - See above

I didn't have time to play these game too much since the Mega Drive came out as I was growing up, but I plugged the Master System back in from time to time and really enjoyed the games we had for it.

IrishNinja

look at that sexy backwards stick, me & my bother used those forever

nah im heading over to the only bookstore in town that carries em tomorrow and hoping for the best but i usually show up after they're gone & they won't hold shit. gonna track that one down on ebay if nothing else, really debating subbing to them one day for stuff like this but damn its like $130 or so a year i wanna say

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'll just make a list of the games I have for it, I enjoyed most of them:

Asterix - Pretty and cool platformerRescue Mission - Great lightgun game
Double Dragon - No explanation needed
Psychic World - Pretty cool platformer with multiple weapons. Just don't accidentally select the suicide button :(
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - No explanation needed
The Lucky Dime Caper: Starring Donald Duck - Great platformer
Castle of Illusion - See above

I didn't have time to play these game too much since the Mega Drive came out as I was growing up, but I plugged the Master System back in from time to time and really enjoyed the games we had for it.

I had those myself, and I can attest to them being great games. Asterix did get hard as balls towards the end though, especially those damn auto-scrolling levels.

c0de

I also had this:

hang-on-card.gif

I was about 9 yrs old and never knew before that there were games released on these small cards instead of cartridges. Game worked perfectly.

Top Bottom