• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The South Carolina Democratic Primary thread (Obama 2:1 over Clinton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Incognito said:
Oh shit...

2iv0ie8.png

Obama manged 24% of the white vote? This appears to be a blowout. The black vote REALLY came home. Jesus....

Further proof that Edwards MUST stay in the race for Obama to win

A third place for Hillary would help Obama. Surprisingly, the white vote for Hillary isn't very far from Obama. John Edwards rocked the white vote though.

maximum360 said:
A third place for Hillary would help Obama. Surprisingly, the white vote for Hillary isn't very far from Obama. John Edwards rocked the white vote though.

Yes. Edwards really damaged Hillary here. Wow.

Can't wait for Obama's victory speech. I need a lecture of Tony Robbins-esque proportions so I can muster up enough motivation to apply to some jobs.

I know I said it already, but this is going to be a severe blowout. Ever since November, the Clinton campaign simply collapsed in South Carolina. If they're fighting off Edwards for 2nd that isn't good, either. Obama picking up 24% of the white vote is a great thing to hear.

grandjedi6

(CNN) — Bill Clinton's aggressive campaigning in South Carolina in the days leading up to the state's primary may have had a negative effect among South Carolina’s Democratic primary voters, CNN exit polls indicate.

Roughly 6 in 10 South Carolina Democratic primary voters said Bill Clinton's campaigning was important in how they ultimately decided to vote, and of those voters, 47 percent went for Barack Obama while only 38 percent went for Hillary Clinton.

Meanwhile, the exit polls also indicate Obama easily beat Clinton among those voters who decided in the last three days — when news reports heavily covered the former president's heightened criticisms of Obama. Twenty percent of South Carolina Democrats made their decision in the last three days and 57 percent of them chose Obama, while only 18 percent picked Clinton

On Monday, Obama said he felt as if he is running against both Clintons, a charge the New York senator’s campaign said was borne out of frustration. The former president himself later dismissed Obama's comments, saying “I thought he was running against me.”

Campaigning in South Carolina Friday, Obama noted that the Clinton campaign had stepped up its attacks since his Iowa win, and joked that it's good practice for him, so "when I take on those Republicans, I'll be accustomed to it."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/26/exit-polls-bill-clintons-effect/

OH SHIT

Jea Song

Did the right thing
CNN Projects Obama as the winner of the south Carolina primary. This was expected, but let's see if Edwards can get second, in his own native state. That will make the race more interesting. Can't wait to see what happens on Super Tuesday!

I still can't help but look back to New Hampshire.............they may have committed an unforgivable sin giving Hilary their state, imagine if Obama had won there as well....Hilary's political career would have ended tonight.

Go Obama, it's ya birthday!

harSon

Banned
Incognito said:
Wow. It seems they finally crossed the threshold. We'll see if numbers like that hold across America, though.

They said the Clinton's attempting to down play the black vote may also have a significant impact if she were to actually win the nomination.

Joe said:
Amy Holmes....
029.gif

She is hot :)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
quadriplegicjon said:
if thats true. thats a huge blow.

wow.
This could actually hurt Obama in the long run.

White people could view Obama as purely the "black person's candidate" and combat that by voting Edwards or Hilary.

I hate to say it, but I have no faith in Americans to make good decisions.

Go Obama... let's keep this up!

VALIS

The numerous pundits are really painting a rosy picture for Obama right now. They think this huge win voids all of the Clinton's tactics this week. Now, if he's smart, Obama can go back to just talking about his vision instead of deflecting Bill and Hillary bullets all the time.

And he really should. A lot of people like Barack because he seems a cut above the rest of them ethically and won't fall into typical Washington dirty politics. He got away from that this week and needs to get back there.

...Or this thought just crossed my mind, maybe getting dirty was good for him since he had such a huge win tonight. But I'd tend to think not.

Aside from the potential positive media coverage advertised as a "blowout", what does it even matter how far ahead Obama is in SC. The state is a bit of an anomaly in terms of voter makeup and isn't too indicative of future turnouts.

grandjedi6

npm0925 said:
On MSNBC, Pat Buchannan said that Bill Clinton said, "So what. Jesse Jackson won SC, too." Any more on this?
South Carolina

1988 Jesse Jackson (caucus)
1992 Bill Clinton
1996 Bill Clinton (caucus)
2000 Al Gore (caucus)
2004 John Edwards

Lefty42o

Banned
Propagandhim said:
Aside from the potential positive media coverage advertised as a "blowout", what does it even matter how far ahead Obama is in SC. The state is a bit of an anomaly in terms of voter makeup and isn't too indicative of future turnouts.

delegates are determined by percentage of the vote. bigger the win more delegates.

thefro

Propagandhim said:

He did better among both whites (10% to 24) and blacks (50% to 80%) than the polls said earlier this week, and won white voters under 29 huge (49%).

Obama and Clinton essentially tied among white male voters as well.

grandjedi6

Propagandhim said:

SC is important for 2 reasons: Its the last momentum state before Super Tuesday, and from here on out its all about the delegates

npm0925 said:
On MSNBC, Pat Buchannan said that Bill Clinton said, "So what. Jesse Jackson won SC, too." Any more on this?

Clinton's doing his upmost to portray himself as a fairly hardcore racist, so it comes as no surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom