• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The South Carolina Democratic Primary thread (Obama 2:1 over Clinton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
thank you south carolina.

i want him to win so bad.

i saw him speak last year im austin and have had his bumper sticker on my truck ever since.

harSon

Banned
npm0925 said:
On MSNBC, Pat Buchannan said that Bill Clinton said, "So what. Jesse Jackson won SC, too." Any more on this?

There is a rather large difference between Jesse Jackson winning the state as the only 'different' candidate and Obama winning in a land slide vs a Clinton who is also female.

RiZ III

Yeeeeesssss! Yeeeeeeeeeesssssssss Yessssssssssss!!!
punchvb8.gif
smilydancefoolbf0.gif

Ripclawe

Banned
Now over the next week, count how many whisper campaigns about the black candidate who brought out the black voters. A big blowout win can hurt him.

harSon

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Oh this is going to be FUN, when teh Clintons strike back, it's going to get SO DIRTY from now on.:lol

I'd imagine they're going to shift their focus to Edwards, playing dirty with Obama is rather difficult for obvious reasons and may have hurt them in a big way even if they get the nomination.

StoOgE

harSon said:
There is a rather large difference between Jesse Jackson winning the state as the only 'different' candidate and Obama winning in a land slide vs a Clinton who is also female.

i like bill, but my opinion is dropping like a rock. jesse jackson is a great american and has helped the clintons, why minamize the first black primary winner?

Lefty42o

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
No Democratic primary/caucus is winner take all

thats what i thought :lol

thanks for the help.

and in a close race like we have seen between Hilary and obama every delegate will count.

did yall hear hilary try to ask Michigan and florida to cast votes at the dnc anyway? they need every delegate. it could be close even past super tuesday. and i would not be surprised if at the end no candidate has enough delegates to win the nom.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ripclawe said:
Now over the next week, count how many whisper campaigns about the black candidate who brought out the black voters. A big blowout win can hurt him.

Not if its this big of a win. The Clinton's can only spin the blackvote so much. Now they will after the "SC doesn't matter' spin

quadriplegicjon said:
yup. which is why analysts are thinking that this wont be over after super tuesday.

A primary that is actually dragged out after Super Tuesday. Finally! :D

i don't think bill clinton said that. i think that's what joe scarborough and bill bennet believe HE would say if pressed.

as for super tuesday, it's mathematically impossible for there to be a nominee after feb 5th.

harSon

Banned
StoOgE said:
i like bill, but my opinion is dropping like a rock. jesse jackson is a great american and has helped the clintons, why minamize the first black primary winner?

They've been attempting to to minimize the impact of black voters. Between this, their comments on Martin Luther King, and their full force slime campaign aimed at Obama they're not going to have much of a black vote if they continue on this path.

sangreal

Ripclawe said:

They are already spinning it like that. Every news segment so far has been about race

I don't think it will really hurt him, but it will help blunt some of the hype

Ripclawe

Banned
harSon said:
They've been attempting to to minimize the impact of black voters. Between this, their comments on Martin Luther King, and their full force slime campaign aimed at Obama they're not going to have much of a black vote if they continue on this path.

Latinos are their firewall plus the fact they figure once it gets to campaign season, blacks are still going to vote 90+% Dem anyway. hurt feelings now for a bigger win in the future.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
sp0rsk said:
So does Edwards drop out now?
Not sure how much money he has, but doing a national campaign could be pretty expensive.

Best case scenario is that he drops and endorses Obama.

Worst case scenario is that he stays in and keeps white men from voting for Hilary.

sp0rsk said:

no, of course not

The South Carolina Democratic primary has been a bitter, hard-fought contest with Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama taking jabs at each other in Monday's televised debate. In the exit polls, we asked voters in this primary if the candidates were attacking each other unfairly. Fifty-six percent of those voting so far think Obama attacked Clinton unfairly, and while that is a high number, more people thought Clinton unfairly attacked Obama -- 70%.

The Clintons have been accused of playing the race card in this contest. We do see some potential fallout for the Clintons in the African-American community: 74% of African-American voters think that Clinton unfairly attacked Obama. But when we look at the same question among white voters, a comparable number thought Clinton unfairly attacked Obama -- 68%.

harSon said:

Like I've been saying, as long as blacks remember how this race in South Carolina went (Which I believe they will), the dems are going to have the lower black turnout they have had in some time (If Hilary is the nominee). They will still win 90 plus percent, but I feel that millions will stay home that would not have.

StoOgE

sp0rsk said:

no, he wants to stay in it so he can force himself to be the veep. if his delegates can be the difference, he is the veep.

grandjedi6

RubxQub said:
Not sure how much money he has, but doing a national campaign could be pretty expensive.

Best case scenario is that he drops and endorses Obama.

Worst case scenario is that he stays in and keeps white men from voting for Hilary.

Edwards dropping would be the worst case scenario for Obama. Edwards MUST stay in for Obama to win, since Edwards competes with Hillary for voter base

thefro

perfectchaos007 said:
Yay Barack! Too bad this may be one of the last states he wins but its a good last boost of momentum. He should win Georgia and Alabama though.

At worst, he's going to win Alabama, Democrats Abroad, Georgia, Idaho, and Illinois on the 5th.

thekad

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Edwards dropping would be the worst case scenario for Obama. Edwards MUST stay in for Obama to win, since Edwards competes with Hillary for voter base

White women over the age of 30?

Anyone have any polls from the Feb. 5 states?

grandjedi6

thekad said:
White women over the age of 30?
Larry Sabato said:
What of John Edwards? It is evident to all that he will not be the Democratic nominee for President. Really, how could the Democrats, the party of diversity, nominate a white male when the other major candidates were a woman, an African-American, and a Hispanic? After South Carolina, the state of his birth, Edwards will have three choices: (1) Stay in through the primaries, collect delegates under the party's proportional rules, and hope that the Clinton/Obama split is so close that his delegates can make Edwards the kingmaker, with a payoff of the post of Attorney General or another vice-presidential nomination; (2) Drop out before or after February 5th, and endorse one of the candidates (surely Obama, given what Edwards has said during the campaign); or (3) Drop out and save his nod for later. Option three is the least likely, since Edwards will quickly become irrelevant. If the second option is chosen, can Edwards actually steer his delegates and voters to Obama? Will Edwards campaign enthusiastically for Obama to enable the transfer? Should Edwards truly prefer Obama, Edwards may conclude that the first option helps both Obama and himself the most. Many of Edwards' white, blue-collar supporters may be more inclined to choose the white female over the black male in a one-on-one match-up, no matter what Edwards says or does for Obama. Splitting the white vote may be Edwards' real favor to Obama

Obama supporters don't want Edwards to leave the race. Even when Richardson left, Hillary got his voter base

VALIS

Seeing as it seems like the aggressive strategy of the Clintons backfired badly this week, expect Hillary to have a sensitive, watery eyes moment somewhere on Monday. :lol

thekad

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

Obama supporters don't want Edwards to leave the race. Even when Richardson left, Hillary got his voter base

Hmm... Well, I'm not sure those "white, blue-collar workers" would rather vote for a white woman over a black man. But, yeah, point taken.

ndiicm

What's really sad is after the shit the Clintons pulled even if Hillary manages to win the democratic nomination the republicans will win the general election.

Clevinger

StoOgE said:
no, he wants to stay in it so he can force himself to be the veep. if his delegates can be the difference, he is the veep.

word is, at least from Novak, that Edwards wants to be Attorney General in Obama's administration

grandjedi6

perfectchaos007 said:
CNN projects Clinton gets second!

I'm happy because I'm hoping Edwards drops out now because we know most of his supporters would go to Obama.

No. People need to stop thinking this. Edward competes with Hillary for voter base more than Obama. Edwards leaving is bad for Obama

Bowser

perfectchaos007 said:

I'm happy because I'm hoping Edwards drops out now because we know most of his supporters would go to Obama.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Edwards needs to stay in this and split the white vote to help Obama.

perfectchaos007 said:

Would people PLEASE STOP REPEATING THIS CANARD???

And, yeah, it looks like Bill Clinton did say the Jesse Jackson line. Disgusting.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't know if this is the right thread, but since all you politicans are in here right now, I think I'll settle for in here.

California's primary is coming up soon and I'm a new voter (right when I turned 18 in July 07, I registered to vote). Is there anything I need to take when I go to vote?

npm0925

Incognito said:
Would people PLEASE STOP REPEATING THIS CANARD???

And, yeah, it looks like Bill Clinton did say the Jesse Jackson line. Disgusting.
There goes the black vote for Hillary. Now she will need Obama as VP if she wins the nomination, meaning that she will have tone down her attacks against him.

grandjedi6

Domino Theory said:
I don't know if this is the right thread, but since all you politicans are in here right now, I think I'll settle for in here.

California's primary is coming up soon and I'm a new voter (right when I turned 18 in July 07, I registered to vote). Is there anything I need to take when I go to vote?

Voter regristration card, State ID

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Domino Theory said:

if you're white, no. if you're a minority, bring every form of ID you can.

Kittonwy

Banned
harSon said:
I'd imagine they're going to shift their focus to Edwards, playing dirty with Obama is rather difficult for obvious reasons and may have hurt them in a big way even if they get the nomination.

Edwards is DONE. I think Clinton is more worried about getting the nomination right now than how much damage it's going to do to the party and how much weaker the eventual winner will be. I don't think the attacks will stop but they'll likely be attacking Obama's experience more, either way, it's going to get really ugly.
gladtomeetya.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom