• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The speech that sparked a revolution.

Our phones are far more secure than our guns. Even $400 phones have faceID, touchID, passcodes and so many other ways to make sure that only the person that owns the phone is able to unlock it.

And yet this is the state of our guns...

With smart guns, your kid couldn’t accidentally shoot themselves, you couldn’t accidentally shoot yourself while adjusting your belt buckle, and a home intruder couldn’t use your own gun against you and your family.

With the dumb guns we have now, people are far more likely to have their kid/family member shoot themselves with it than they are to actually shoot a home invader with it. Smart guns would be good for every single gun owner that wants one.

Yet the NRA continues to tirelessly work to put anyone that tries to develop smart guns out of business...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...to-reform-itself-the-nra-nearly-destroyed-it/

Also thanks to the NRA, a gun manufacturer that makes a defective gun that causes an accidental discharge without the trigger being pulled is immune from law suits. Companies that make literally any thing else can be sued if their products do not work as advertised. Gunmakers, on the other hand, don’t even have to do recalls and fix the problems.

Gun manufacturers are the one and only exception to companies having to fix defects, and we can thank the NRA for that as well. They don’t care about gun owners, they care about gun manufacturers, that’s who gives them most of the money.

ar0s

It’s so obvious when all these people know they can’t challenge the points in the OP and instead resorting to semantics.

Who the hell cares if a poster calls it a clip or a magazine? That has nothing to do with the point they are making.

Just remember this post when you are engaged in a discussion because semantics is often your arguing tactic. I agree with you on this subject and hope the above post shows you have learnt and grown thanks to this thread. :)

Just remember this post when you are engaged in a discussion because semantics is often your arguing tactic. I agree with you on this subject and hope the above post shows you have learnt and grown thanks to this thread. :)
What are you talking about?

Are you seriously talking about posters that belittle and attack other posts by calling them SJWs? How the hell is comparable to calling a magazine a clip?

Do you realize in both cases my argument was the same, that people should address the point of the post instead of using semantics to dismiss a post?

Hope you learned something :)

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
blu blu In this instance it's definitely reasonable to lay blame at the feet of the father. Definitely poor judgment there.

However when people cast the net as wide as all law abiding gun owners, and asserting that we all have blood on our hands, you lose people.

ar0s

What are you talking about?

Are you seriously talking about posters that belittle and attack other posts by calling them SJWs? How the hell is comparable to calling a magazine a clip?

Do you realize in both cases my argument was the same, that people should address the point of the post instead of using semantics to dismiss a post?

Hope you learned something :)

What? I wasn't talking about anything specific - no idea how you got the above from my post. I've just seen you be the one running the roundabout several times and thought it ironic you were railing against it this time. I hoped it signalled turning over a new leaf.

Well, here's a bit of information for you: many infantry / riflemen colloquially call magazines clips.

I can only speak for my experience but when I served in the US Army (1996-1999) we called them magazines and in training if you called them clips you would get dropped and shit like that. Maybe in other parts of the world or other units it was more common but not in my experience.

blu blu In this instance it's definitely reasonable to lay blame at the feet of the father. Definitely poor judgment there.

However when people cast the net as wide as all law abiding gun owners, and asserting that we all have blood on our hands, you lose people.

There's a difference in saying they all have blood on their hands, and just not giving enough of a damn to do anything about it because of fear.

Usually it's the latter. "Law abiding" doesn't make you any less of a liability.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

US military personnel definitely don't get through basic hearing or saying word one about "clips" uncorrected from anything I've ever heard about it in the modern era. Obviously military discipline applies precision and structure to everything it can, but precise, structured, consistent use of language is up there on the priorities list. Orders have to flow through very long games of telephone, after all, and often under duress. Basic is all about getting those kinds of fundamentals drilled into you. Daily routine, etiquette, jargon, fitness baseline and maintenance, chain of command, all that, until it's totally consistent on its own. An M1 Garand from WW2 takes clips. Modern assault rifles take magazines, or mags for short. Mags go into magwells. Magazines are kind of important all around for getting bullets into the things you want them to be: loading rounds into them, carrying enough of them for your mission parameters, changing them efficiently and at the proper time while being covered as necessary by your squad, etc. etc. Magazines. ;b

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can only speak for my experience but when I served in the US Army (1996-1999) we called them magazines and in training if you called them clips you would get dropped and shit like that. Maybe in other parts of the world or other units it was more common but not in my experience.
I was in a non-english-speaking army at pretty much the same time, so I cannot attest (we had our own idiotic reasons to get dropped), but from all my conversations with US ex-mils in my civil life, the clip/magazine juxtaposition has never been brought up. Everybody knows what colloquially a clip is, and one's use of either magazine or clip in a conversation is a matter of momentary choice (given the context is clear). Actually, the first time I heard the use of 'clip' in English as a reference to a cartridge magazine, was by an ex-marine in a conversation about AK-47 and its 'banana clip'.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
What would you guys think of a former/current in the military thread? I think having people like blu and off duty ninja talk about experiences may be a benefit to the community... Just a thought.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What would you guys think of a former/current in the military thread? I think having people like blu and off duty ninja talk about experiences may be a benefit to the community... Just a thought.
Actually you bring up a good point. My training with ARs is pretty much the reason for my expressed position in threads like this one -- I might have been referring to 'law-abiding gunwoners' sarcastically, but I know that sane, self-disciplined civilians can safely handle armament with just the right amount of training (that's what an army boot camp does). It's the rest of the civilians who think that ARs (or heck, any kind of a firearm) are some kind of toy that bother me, and the mass shootings with those weapons are the material proof of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom