• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The speech that sparked a revolution.

zelo-ca

Yes, it's terrible that kids don't want to be shot at school.

I think they have a pretty good reason to be calling for it.

A child is not an expert in gun control. This is literally the definition of facts don't give a shit about your feelings.

I sympathize with these students but when you have David Hog going on live TV and saying shit like this.... Of course I would have issues with it. If they were being reason and sound it would be a different story.

Last edited:
A child is not an expert in gun control. This is literally the definition of facts don't give a shit about your feelings.

I sympathize with these students but when you have David Hog going on live TV and saying shit like this.... Of course I would have issues with it. If they were being reason and sound it would be a different story.

Neither are adults, obviously. But they are smart enough to realize that adults have done nothing but made the situation worse.

Haha, reason and sound, I'm guessing you don't respect a single thing that comes out of the white house these days.

Yeah, they are kids. Yeah, they don't have the maturity to deal with seeing their classmates murdered in cold blood and nobody give a shit about it past a day or two.

The kid's not wrong though. The NRA has millions of dollars into lobbying. And this push has done things like allowed the CDC to actually do studies on gun violence for the first time in over two decades. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-study-gun-violence/?utm_term=.8f15894a62b4

zelo-ca

Neither are adults, obviously. But they are smart enough to realize that adults have done nothing but made the situation worse.

Haha, reason and sound, I'm guessing you don't respect a single thing that comes out of the white house these days.

Yeah, they are kids. Yeah, they don't have the maturity to deal with seeing their classmates murdered in cold blood and nobody give a shit about it past a day or two.

The kid's not wrong though. The NRA has millions of dollars into lobbying. And this push has done things like allowed the CDC to actually do studies on gun violence for the first time in over two decades. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-study-gun-violence/?utm_term=.8f15894a62b4

watch this and click on the supporting material. The gun control myth is BS.

Sources are legit as well. USA gun crime is way less than you think.

Last edited:

watch this and click on the supporting material. The gun control myth is BS.

Get out of here. He cherry picks just as much. He doesn't show where limiting guns doesn't lower suicide rate. Places like Japan has higher suicide rates for reasons like capitalistic greed and being overworked, insurance payouts, and tradition. To use that against removing guns from the equation is a false flag at best. "Infringing on someone's rights" your rights are getting people killed. Chicago gets their guns from surrounding areas which has lax gun laws. Nothing prevents these guns from coming over the border.

Now, let's get into why there's a huge gang issue. One, it's more profitable than working an honest job, by far. There's 18 year olds pulling in a grand a week in a gang over someone working at any local business for minimal wage. Two, and probably the more apparent issue, is that there's safety in numbers. You're either with a gang or against it. If you have no backup, you're easy pickings. There's a lot of rich folks at the top of these gangs pulling the strings, and they could be defanged in numerous ways. Lawmakers and those invested in prisons aren't interested in solving this issue though. It's more profitable to have that threat at all times. Throw young kids in jail for cheap labor and a quick buck.

What in the actual hell does 'hot burglaries' have to do with gun control? Is he trying to claim that people are less likely to invade a house because they might be armed? That's a stupid fallacy if I've ever heard of one. How does one reflect on the other?

AIDS is not a serious problem? Get the fuck out of here.

Yes, suicide by guns is also a major issue. We have a lot of guns over the rest of the world. It's easily accessible, and stealing a gun is almost child's play if you know someone who's lax about how they store them. Which is what honestly a lot of people do because of the fear of above said 'hot burglaries' so they are never properly put away in a sizable amount of households.

And now it's a bunch of Wooooo they are trying to lead you to believe this by doing jedi mind tricks by...the way they transition between slides. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, this source really isn't as infallible as you're trying to make it out to be.

ar0s

So, one anecdote about sewage spilling somewhere in the richest country in the world? You are going to need to do a little better than that to prove your case about what an unlivable hellhole the US is. Yes, there is poverty in the world. Yes, there is poverty in the US. But I daresay our poor our much better off than poor people elsewhere..

I haven't supported any wars in my lifetime, actually. Why do you make these crazy assumptions? I am an anti-interventionist.

No - one direction to a report with dozens of pages, which you obviously have not read. :confused:

The wars bit was a question not an assumption. How many countries does the US need to occupy and invade before you use your guns to do something about it then?

Last edited:

You literally posted a tweet about a child on gun control on the last page (one you agree with so that makes it okay) and then posted some dumbass source criticizing David Hogg for using naughty words with a thumbnail that purposely makes him look crazy.

rokkerkory

So impressed with these kids... they've organized an entire movement across the globe. From kids in Japan supporting us to MLK's grand daughter.

Hats off to you all.

bucyou

So impressed with these kids... they've organized an entire movement across the globe. From kids in Japan supporting us to MLK's grand daughter.

Hats off to you all.

What is more impressive is how seamless that groups like planned parenthood, moveon.org, and the hollywood elite in attendance today have exploited these children and turned the "march" into a hate rally and democratic voter registration drive.

rokkerkory

What is more impressive is how seamless that groups like planned parenthood, moveon.org, and the hollywood elite in attendance today have exploited these children and turned the "march" into a hate rally and democratic voter registration drive.

Change is coming for you too.

JDB

Banned
People marching don't want guns.
Democrats seem a lot more open to gun control.

It's not that difficult.

bucyou

Change is coming for you too.

Thats so 2007, didnt work out so well!

I did read an interesting article on huffpo about the black students upset that mr hogg is stealing the limelight from others, specifically the very students he took the time to point out he will give them the voice via his "white privilege".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...violence-movement_us_5ac5548ce4b056a8f59810f9

Care to comment, or would you rather stick to the one liners?

edit: link

Last edited:
This group seems highly fabricated.
David Hogg and ilk have gotten more airtime than anybody else and are hamming for selfies like the cast of Real World.

This is the true story... of seven strangers... picked to politically capitalize on a mass shooting... and have their lives taped... to find out what happens... when people stop being polite... and start getting real...The Real World.
Lmao I'll admit this made me laugh pretty hard. Am I just a shitty person? Yes. Yes I am.

Cleared_Hot

Try try try all you want to completely overly romanticize that speech. It is not even remotely as memorable as it's being touted by the OP. Also, why the fuck is the NRA getting blamed for all of this?! We have a POS officer at the school who didn't do a thing while he sat and listened to children get executed, plus multiple law enforcement agencies failing to act on repeated reports on this nutcase murderer. yet these jackasses go on bill maher attempting to say the 2nd amendment isn't a birth right in America. I'm sorry for this horrible tragedy they experienced, and think it's fantastic they're practicing their first amendment rights. But damn. And if you think it's amazing to watch a girl talk about taking guns away from law abiding citizens while wearing a Cuban flag on her shoulder and don't think to yourself how ironic and retarded that is then you probably think crap is great all the time.

Get out of here. He cherry picks just as much. He doesn't show where limiting guns doesn't lower suicide rate. Places like Japan has higher suicide rates for reasons like capitalistic greed and being overworked, insurance payouts, and tradition.

So you do not think the high suicide rate in the US is related more to the unique social pressures in the US (lack of economic success, social isolation, etc.) than guns? Our culture is fairly different from the "1st world countries" we are always compared to - much more pressure to perform, much more individualistic, much less support from the state, etc. Our environment is actually rather similar to Japan, although with less pressure alongside less state support.

We have plenty of places in the US which could become suicide forests, and based off our differences I think there would be a minimal reduction in suicides from gun control aimed at it. The same pressures would still be there, just like in Japan.

The odd terrorist attack isn't exactly the same as consistent mass shooting like in the US.

It is when mass shootings are, historically, about as likely to kill you as terrorism (discounting 9/11, of course; if you include 9/11 then that obviously skews the numbers further).

Why would I fear one thing that kills x people a year more than another thing that kills x people a year? Even if you include outliers like the last year of shootings or 9/11, those just indicate aberrant conditions.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
I like Trevor Noahs opinion on this:

27R3yJzOczLPgsFJX0LuiR7HUT54aJEoWdsx3Gl9I4o.jpg

llien

"There was a shooting at my school and I'm a celebrity, would you support me, dear college" is not a decent behavior in my books, to put it mildly.
How bad is 4.2 average grade, by the way?

David Hogg reminds me young comsomolets making career off anything he can (mis)-use.

"If colleges want to support us in that, great, if they don't it doesn't matter, we're still going to change the world," he said.
I doubt they'll change a single US state.

Could you link actual sources instead of a video please? Or at least cite some facts.

JDB

Banned
It is when mass shootings are, historically, about as likely to kill you as terrorism (discounting 9/11, of course; if you include 9/11 then that obviously skews the numbers further).

Why would I fear one thing that kills x people a year more than another thing that kills x people a year? Even if you include outliers like the last year of shootings or 9/11, those just indicate aberrant conditions.
Can you cite me some numbers for this? I'm confused what exactly you are comparing here.

Can you cite me some numbers for this? I'm confused what exactly you are comparing here.

I'll have to gather the data again. I should have clarified that I meant shootings similar to school shootings and the Mandalay Bay incident and not incidents occurring alongside other crimes - spree violence vs incidental violence such as gang violence, drug-related violence, etc.. These two categories are often lumped together as "shootings with 4 or more dead" or, occasionally, "shootings with 3 or more dead".

Dying from gun-related spree violence is roughly as rare as dying from terrorism in the US once you remove outliers (9/11 and the last year's uptick in spree killings).

llien

Why would I fear one thing that kills x people a year more than another thing that kills x people a year?

Imagine we'd live where meteorites regularly fall from the sky and kill people.
Later on, some new bacteria develops in drinking water and kills people at roughly the same rate.

Would you then argue that developing drugs against that bacteria ("fearing more") makes no sense, since meteorites kill people at the same rate?

Imagine we'd live where meteorites regularly fall from the sky and kill people.
Later on, some new bacteria develops in drinking water and kills people at roughly the same rate.

Would you then argue that developing drugs against that bacteria ("fearing more") makes no sense, since meteorites kill people at the same rate?

The "develop drugs" solution situation is not really comparable to the "ban/restrict guns" solution. Developing drugs does not restrict anyone.

If the drug required 10000 specific people, based on genetic profile, a year to donate blood to isolate some antigen, would you support forcing them to donate? I would not, even if doing so merely inconvenienced them.

Last edited:

llien

The "develop drugs" solution situation is not really comparable to the "ban/restrict guns" solution. Developing drugs does not restrict anyone.

If the drug required 10000 specific people, based on genetic profile, a year to donate blood to isolate some antigen, would you support forcing them to donate? I would not, even if doing so merely inconvenienced them.

That's a totally different argument, though, my point was that something else being as (or more or less) deadly isn't an argument against addressing other "deadlies".

UK is a working example of "what happens if one tightens gun laws". I was told it worked well for Brits.

That's a totally different argument, though, my point was that something else being as (or more or less) deadly isn't an argument against addressing other "deadlies".

UK is a working example of "what happens if one tightens gun laws". I was told it worked well for Brits.

My argument before was that some things happen infrequently enough that we should just ignore them in policy. Some amount of terrorism or gun violence is inevitable just by the law of large numbers. You just have to prosecute it and move on.

I'm sure that sounds like a callous position, but it is just statistics. I've already posted an article several times that debunks the idea that the US has a widespread gun crime problem, and I am not for trying to regulate away accidents and suicide through restrictions.

And, as London just discovered, gangs are not really deterred from killing by lack of guns, and the US has much more organized crime with a much higher profit motive.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Hate Trevor Noah but I can't argue with this logic...

I'm not sure why faux news guy thinks the kids are making gun the gun laws, maybe he should reread the constitution...

Why do you hate him?

ar0s

And, as London just discovered, gangs are not really deterred from killing by lack of guns, and the US has much more organized crime with a much higher profit motive.

What? The UK has very few gun killings. It's idiotic American propaganda making out UK gangs are running wild with guns when the reality is nothing of the sort.

There are other ways to kill and maim outside of guns.
So where do you draw the line in saying that specific weapon can too easily kill too many people?

Should bazookas be legal?

Should machine guns?

Does the first amendment give anyone the right to buy a nuclear weapon if they want one?

It seems that you agree that it is okay to draw a line in the sand to say that certain weapons would make it too easy to kill too many people too quickly.

The difference here is about what you feel crosses that line versus what I feel crosses that line.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There are other ways to kill and maim outside of guns.
You don't say.

BTW, when you say 'guns', you surely realize there are all kinds of guns -- hunting guns (traditionally smoothbore in most parts of the world), sharpshooting sports guns (smallbore, bolt action, very precise), all kinds of sidearms, and last but not least, military tactical-superiority guns? There's only one kind of gun that can shoot as-fast-as-you-can-pull-the-trigger off 30-40-round clips supersonic, armor-piercing, flesh-shedding projectiles at hundreds of meters.. So let's not lump together every possible kind of gun as it does not make much sense.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

You don't say.

BTW, when you say 'guns', you surely realize there are all kinds of guns -- hunting guns (traditionally smoothbore in most parts of the world), sharpshooting sports guns (smallbore, bolt action, very precise), all kinds of sidearms, and last but not least, military tactical-superiority guns? There's only one kind of gun that can shoot as-fast-as-you-can-pull-the-trigger off 30-40-round clips supersonic, armor-piercing, flesh-shedding projectiles at hundreds of meters.. So let's not lump together every possible kind of gun as it does not make much sense.
"Military tactical superiority guns" LMFAO ya'll just keep coming up with new scarier names every single day. Then you call magazines clips and sound even more like a retard. You tried so hard to sound like you know what you're talking about but fails miserably. There's no difference in a a semi-automatic rifle wether its used for hunting or self defense. Even if you want to call MILITARY TACTICAL SUPERIORITY GUN. bahahahahahahahahahaha

blu

"Military tactical superiority guns" LMFAO ya'll just keep coming up with new scarier names every single day. Then you call magazines clips and sound even more like a retard. You tried so hard to sound like you know what you're talking about but fails miserably. There's no difference in a a semi-automatic rifle wether its used for hunting or self defense. Even if you want to call MILITARY TACTICAL SUPERIORITY GUN. bahahahahahahahahahaha
Erm, that was just a common army colloquialism, kido, you can unmount the water dispenser now.

As re whether I'm trying to pass as knowledgeable -- I'm not knowledgeable at all, particularly for somebody with my background. It's just that the average US 'law-abiding gunowner' is absolutely oblivious to the guns & gun practices in the rest of the world.

Last edited:
It’s so obvious when all these people know they can’t challenge the points in the OP and instead resorting to semantics.

Who the hell cares if a poster calls it a clip or a magazine? That has nothing to do with the point they are making.

It’s so obvious when all these people know they can’t challenge the points in the OP and instead resorting to semantics.

Every point in the OP has been refuted or challenged between once and 20 times now, in this and the other gun control threads on this forum. It's you who are resorting to semantics, when you find a post arguing semantics and pretend that's the only argument they have. There are over 300 posts in this thread alone, and some decent arguments and debate on both sides of this issue.

If you can find a point in the OP that hasn't been properly challenged, let me know. I'll be happy to oblige.

We disagree. You can learn to live with that, or you can make believe that simple disagreement is really based on your political opponent being inept and stupid. Your choice.

Who the hell cares if a poster calls it a clip or a magazine?

People who care about guns. Kind of how you or I might feel if someone bought a PlayStation 4 and said "now I can play all the arcade games" or went to an arcade and said "which console game should I try." I used to know someone way into guns who just hated when I would use the term clip to refer to a magazine.

People who care about guns. Kind of how you or I might feel if someone bought a PlayStation 4 and said "now I can play all the arcade games" or went to an arcade and said "which console game should I try." I used to know someone way into guns who just hated when I would use the term clip to refer to a magazine.

Most gamers wouldn't give a shit. I've been asked numerous times things like "When is Mario coming out on the Xbox?" and ridiculous questions like that. Most just shrug it off, realize that there's details they don't need to know right now to enjoy video games or to understand them at a base level, and leave them alone. You might have a superiority complex about guns, but I doubt that most people do.

Don't know the last time a video game helped someone slaughter a dozen people at a school though. You'll have to remind me when that happened.

Most gamers wouldn't give a shit. I've been asked numerous times things like "When is Mario coming out on the Xbox?" and ridiculous questions like that. Most just shrug it off...

To be honest, if it's just ignorance, I wouldn't care either. If it's ignorance on top of a claim that something needs to change because it's bad for society, that's another thing entirely. I forgot to mention that aspect of things.

What we're really talking about is the difference between:

"I bought one of those PlayStation 5 arcade machines, what games should I get for it?"

and

"I would never buy one of those PlayStation 5 arcade machines, because I know how harmful video games can be to society, and how some of them should be banned for being too violent."

It goes back to that whole "Louder with Crowder" video that was posted earlier, and the idea that people who don't know what they're talking about are the same ones signing petitions for "common sense gun reform."

You might have a superiority complex about guns, but I doubt that most people do.

I just try to inform myself about the topics I discuss and the opinions I have. I don't feel superior to anyone else who tries to be knowledgeable about a given topic. I'm sure there are people on the anti-gun side of the debate who know more about firearms than I do.

blu

I just try to inform myself about the topics I discuss and the opinions I have. I don't feel superior to anyone else who tries to be knowledgeable about a given topic. I'm sure there are people on the anti-gun side of the debate who know more about firearms than I do.
Well, here's a bit of information for you: many infantry / riflemen colloquially call magazines clips. Not because they don't know what a magazine is, but because most armies don't use stripper clips (they carry full magazines in the field; loading those from stripper clips in the field is both slow and increases the chances for a magazine malfunction) and the last en-bloc clip rile in use (to my knowledge) was the M1. So there's no ambiguity when you say 'pass me that clip' in the army -- everybody knows you're referring to a magazine.

Here's a good account on the entire 'Ruh-rah, he said 'clip' -- we never call magazines clips on the farm!'
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-so-...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

Last edited:

blu

And all those who enable those people. The mass murderer's dad returned the guns to his son after the police had taken those away from the son. In a sane jurisdiction police would have confiscated those right away and the story would've ended there.

The father being a brain-washed 'mah son's guns' imbecile has costed now 4 lives. The father's actions are very characteristic of one of the sides in this against/pro argument.. I'll leave it to you to decide which side that is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom