• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spike VGAs Worldwide Livestream [*Over*]

Why the ill feelings towards him? He makes a better representation in the public eye than the majority of other videogame writers.

Because, why do people like Wainright get their careers ruined (but rightfully so) for when people discover that they are in cahoots with gaming companies, and someone like Geoff Keighly is OPEN about it and everyone just says, "oh it's okay because it's Geoff." I'm completely sick of his somewhat golden ticket within the industry as being able to be paid off as a gaming journalist yet people somehow think it doesn't influence him.

Considering he has major, direct influence over the VGA's, what's to stop a company like AMC from contacting him, paying him a buttload of money to ensure that The Walking Dead wins game of the year to ensure more people to watch the show? Being paid by companies and getting endorsed directly affects the work that he produces yet people seem to not care. He is the poster child of the problem at hand with video game journalism yet people just overlook it, and frankly it needs to end.

Because, why do people like Wainright get their careers ruined (but rightfully so) for when people discover that they are in cahoots with gaming companies, and someone like Geoff Keighly is OPEN about it and everyone just says, "oh it's okay because it's Geoff." I'm completely sick of his somewhat golden ticket within the industry as being able to be paid off as a gaming journalist yet people somehow think it doesn't influence him.

Considering he has major, direct influence over the VGA's, what's to stop a company like AMC from contacting him, paying him a buttload of money to ensure that The Walking Dead wins game of the year to ensure more people to watch the show? Being paid by companies and getting endorsed directly affects the work that he produces yet people seem to not care. He is the poster child of the problem at hand with video game journalism yet people just overlook it, and frankly it needs to end.
Feel Good the thing is he has never claimed to be an independent source from the industry. Even prestigious awards like the Oscars have agendas hanging from the ceiling like the "Sword of Damocles".

I wouldn't value a game recomendation from him. However, if you get pass the "infomertial" stuff he tends to do, theres some really decent work he has done. Great interviews and round tables with developers. Like i said the site he spear heads houses content that is head and shoulders above the competition.

So just take the usefull stuff he provides and toss up the crap out of the window. The only way to make strides into changing the "videogame press" is if the consumer starts ignoring the garbage content. But guess what? The numbers grow each passing day, the consumer has voted with its attention so things won't change anytme soon. Did you just see the size of the VGA thread? Both partisans and detractors viewed the show, so in the end the event got the support it needed.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

The VGA winners are not selected by one person/outlet. There's a list of EICs and other relevant people who choose the game and then their votes are tabulated.

I dunno, I was expecting a lot more reveals, but I'm not out for Geoff's head like some people seem to be. You might not like the guy much, but who would you rather replace him on camera and be hosting GameTrailer TV, etc.? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a person that I'd want to listen to for more than 10 minutes talking about games. It might seem simple, but put X gaming writer/industry person on camera every week, and you might hate all the stuttering, awkwardness, etc.

Also, I'm not 100 percent sure, but last year's VGAs had a lot more reveals, no? But this year's show was a big step in the right direction. There were no cringe-worthy moments that made you feel embarrassed in watching the show. I'd rather we have that, than be bombarded with reveals. I mean, for reveals, we have E3, Gamescom, TGS, PAX, etc. But we only have one "legit" awards show that industry people go to...and I'd love for them to continue with this direction when it comes to showing how games are not a "guilty" pleasure of any kind.

Just my 2 cents, by the way.

Ok Conflict, but why follow the exact formula of the juvenile MTV type of awards? Jackson cursing like a maniac is not funny or clever at all. Please read my previous post again because i did some edits trying to explain my views a little better.

There are really positive things to say. The way the streaming was handled was fantastic. The dual stream, with invited developers sharing their thoughts really inriched the show. Specially handy when things in the actual ceremony got a bit "silly".

Also, nice execution with the orchestra playing tributes to the nominees.

Edit: What's up with the topic title, he didn't exactly lie, videogame reveals were fine. Is not his fault people overshooted the expectations yet again.

Because that is Spike's audience. Case in point they air wrestling.

My apologies for asking this but this thread is quite large at 180 pages.

Was anything noteworthy shown for the Vita? Or anything at all?

It seems like they try to mislead people with ambiguous wording and half-truths to get people to watch the show. Showing games "far beyond summer of 2013" actually means they are showing 1 game coming out late 2013 and one possibly in 2014.

One of the shows producers saying "For hard-core gamers this is the first place you will ever see those new games," says the show's executive producer Mark Burnett. "Imagine if the Academy Awards was on and they announced five movies that no one has ever heard of. That is the equivalent. You will be on a rip-roaring, two-hour ride of television." Isn't meant to be taken as them actually having five unannounced games, they will only announce one new thing.

Showing the "Next-generation of gaming" doesn't actually mean the Next-generation of gaming.

Then there's what Geoff said where Dark Souls 2 is somehow relevant to old-school gaming fans and him personally.

Guys - Appreciate all the feedback on VGAs, lots of good comments.

I never said we had five unannounced games to show you. I think this comes from a quote Mark Burnett gave to USA Today about how VGAs is known for revealing games, he was talking in a general sense.

What was the next gen tease exactly?

eso76

It seems like they try to mislead people with ambiguous wording and half-truths

Showing the "Next-generation of gaming" doesn't actually mean the Next-generation of gaming.

Then there's what Geoff said where Dark Souls 2 is somehow relevant to old-school gaming fans and him personally.

Basically this, glad I didn't stay up to see it

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why do you guys keep falling for Geoff Keighley? You guys have some pavlovian conditioning that won't wear off.

Gattsu25

Banned
Now that the dust has settled I do want to take a minute and call out one of the advertisers of the VGAs.

Dr. Pepper: Fuck you and your "Dr. Pepper 10; it's not for women" ad campaign.

Now that the dust has settled I do want to take a minute and call out one of the advertisers of the VGAs.

The best/worst thing about it is they already had a 0 calorie DP that tastes pretty much the same. They had invent a new drink just for losers that worry about other people's perception of thier penis if they drink something with 'diet' on the side

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The best/worst thing about it is they already had a 0 calorie DP that tastes pretty much the same. They had invent a new drink just for losers that worry about other people's perception of thier penis if they drink something with 'diet' on the side

see also: Pepsi Max and Coke Zero

see also: Pepsi Max and Coke Zero

Well at least Coke zero doesn't taste exactly the same as diet Coke. Coke and diet coke don't taste like at all so I can at least understant why they would make a different one. DP and Diet DP are pretty spot on, and from what I gather so is DP10 so it's really kind of a joke.

Zoe

Eh, it's tongue-in-cheek. If anything it insults men, not women.

FyreWulff

Well at least Coke zero doesn't taste exactly the same as diet Coke. Coke and diet coke don't taste like at all so I can at least understant why they would make a different one. DP and Diet DP are pretty spot on, and from what I gather so is DP10 so it's really kind of a joke.

That's one of the interesting things about soda history. Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are essentially different formulas marketed under the parent brand name. Coke Zero is actually a zero calorie version of the Coca Cola recipe.

Top Bottom