• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spike VGAs Worldwide Livestream [*Over*]

UrbanRats

The Next Gen thing is really my only real disappointment, to be honest.
Very happy of what i saw about Last of Us, Dark Souls 2 and Phantom Pain.

The show was less irritating than previous years, but i was only there for the reveals anyway.

It did not and i'm not weighting this as a good or bad thing because i don't really care.

I'm looking at it in the context of a television show produced for Spike. No matter how much we want it to be it will never be the GDC awards or the Oscars for Video Games. The best we can do is hope for developers to be treated with respect and not teabagged for talking too long.

Angry Fork

Someone else said it best 'least offensive VGA's'. It was alright, the best one so far by a large margin. Even if the celebs didn't care about games at least they got celebrities that didn't seem like shitty stupid people.

The orchestral stuff was nice, showed trailers for big games, Samuel Jackson was what you'd expect. I hate the yelling/cursing shtick everyone seems to like when he does but whatever at least it isn't jersey shore or charlie sheen.

My main criticism would be the lack of new reveals, MGS was cool but almost everything was stuff we've seen/heard about already. I know this isn't supposed to be E3 but you kind of expect it anyway since this is an advertising show more than an award show.

The level of comical douchebaggery was toned down considerably and whatever was left wasn't enough to make me want to shut it off. Geoff misled people for sure in making everyone think there would be a bunch of holy shit megaton stuff but eh, still not bad. What do you expect when they want people to watch, I don't think he flat out lied though unless someone can remind me of something I can't recall.

I liked the look of the show as well, they kept it simple with tasteful blue/white strobe lights. No purple nickelodeon slime type shit or goofy sets constructed, that was a very nice improvement. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up next year but I think people should be optimistic for now.

Trokil

Banned
Why doesn't GAF make their own awards show?

Because it would be for a very limited audience and to find a format within such variety as this board has to over, is pretty much impossible.

Also we already spend our money on the games, the DLC, the limited editions, the merchandise, the books, the soundtracks...

Nibel

You all expected the next generation of consoles, but what you got with DS2 is the next generation of games

Deal with it

I'm looking at it in the context of a television show produced for Spike. No matter how much we want it to be it will never be the GDC awards or the Oscars for Video Games. The best we can do is hope for developers to be treated with respect and not teabagged for talking too long.
Ok Conflict, but why follow the exact formula of the juvenile MTV type of awards? Jackson cursing like a maniac is not funny or clever at all. Please read my previous post again because i did some edits trying to explain my views a little better.

There are really positive things to say. The way the streaming was handled was fantastic. The dual stream, with invited developers sharing their thoughts really inriched the show. Specially handy when things in the actual ceremony got a bit "silly".

Also, nice execution with the orchestra playing tributes to the nominees.

Edit: What's up with the topic title, he didn't exactly lie, videogame reveals were fine. Is not his fault people overshooted the expectations yet again.

Nibel

The Phantom Pain is not Metal Gear Ground Zeroes... remember: "Two phantoms were born", it's not the same game, it's not the same content.

Reggie stealth account detected

Will pm mods about this - instead of posting on GAF you should try to get some Wii U games for Q1 2013 Reginald

drkOne

Didnt look obvious to me.
Do I need to help you adding 2 and 2? Dark Souls 2 was already confirmed for PS3/360/PC so obviously MGSV is the next gen title...
Or you can just believe you didn't get any glimpse of next gen. Whatever floats your boat man.

Angry Fork

I'm just watching it .. why is that black man swearing so much if they just cut it out anyway? so annoying!

It's Edgy!

I hate it too. Doesn't make any sense to me.

And it's sad because now you look back at something like Pulp Fiction and it's hard to take Jackson seriously because you just see the same guy who kept doing that over and over aftward. He's done other good roles but I just hate seeing actors sell an image over and over. It ruins the original incarnation.

Roxas

Do I need to help you adding 2 and 2? Dark Souls 2 was already confirmed for PS3/360/PC so obviously MGSV is the next gen title...
Or you can just believe you didn't get any glimpse of next gen. Whatever floats your boat man.

I'm thinking more along the lines of there was never a next gen title to show with, and that we have all been baited and switched.

Gsak

Reggie stealth account detected

Will pm mods about this - instead of posting on GAF you should try to get some Wii U games for Q1 2013 Reginald

090107_reggie2.jpg

ugoo18

So if Phantom Pain was meant to be the next gen glimpse and it seems like very few people were impressed by it does that mean there will be a lot of disappointed people following E3 2013?

Violater

Guys - Appreciate all the feedback on VGAs, lots of good comments.

I never said we had five unannounced games to show you. I think this comes from a quote Mark Burnett gave to USA Today about how VGAs is known for revealing games, he was talking in a general sense.

Just iron out the red carpet issues and give us more Jessica Alba next time :)

The Next Gen thing is really my only real disappointment, to be honest.
Very happy of what i saw about Last of Us, Dark Souls 2 and Phantom Pain.

The show was less irritating than previous years, but i was only there for the reveals anyway.

Xbox 360 just sold 1.3 million in one month, it will probably sell another million in December. With numbers like these, do you really think MS will show the next Xbox now?

So if Phantom Pain was meant to be the next gen glimpse and it seems like very few people were impressed by it does that mean there will be a lot of disappointed people following E3 2013?

Nah im already happy for launch games to be 1080p@60fps and have same assets as this gen . A nice big resolution bump can really help kinda like Mario galaxy and dolphin emulator.

THE:MILKMAN

I must admit that I thought this Metal Gear trailer was the glimpse of next-gen that was talked about last night.

IIRC the guy that introduced the trailer said it was all real-time gameplay and it was a long way from release?

It didn't look that impressive next to DS2 CG, but was it good enough for next-gen in-game?

Tuck

You give credit to someone who is the pocket of half of the industry? What journalist can possibly be given respect for this in any other industry? It literally blows my mind that people give him respect for doing what he does. He is the worst.

He's not really a journalist at all. More of a personality.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What was the "old school" game? Metal Gear? I mean, these were good announcements, but only 2 is a little... lacking. Guess everyone else is staying super tight lipped for next gen or has too much shit coming out Q1/2 next year where they dont want focus shifted.

What was the "old school" game? Metal Gear? I mean, these were good announcements, but only 2 is a little... lacking. Guess everyone else is staying super tight lipped for next gen or has too much shit coming out Q1/2 next year where they dont want focus shifted.

The old school game was obviously Dark Souls II at this point.
Difficult game == Old school game in the modern mainstream mindset.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is there any article/single post with a recap of the important announcements/any cool trailers? Mucking through this thread start to finish or finding an archive sounds like the worst idea ever.

AHA-Lambda

Given the tone from hosts before their respective reveals I think we can assume old school game was DSII and next gen was supposed to be MGS5.

To Geoff,

Well done, by past standards this show was great. Keep this format and you've got a winner. Only criticism I can really say I'd the preshow was handled terribly, everyone looked awkward as hell. I know you said before pre show awards aren't anything new in some award ceremonies but you have to handle it better than that. Handsome Jack and Clementine both looked insulted tbh. I hope you see now VGA bashing years prior isn't just done for the sake of it now.

In particular to this year, new reveals were unfortunately sparse and I do think we were deceived somewhat with the 5 new games thing, so some of your PR maybe needs to be worked on. Overall, though best VGAs yet and it was actually pretty good :)

Top Bottom