• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spike VGAs Worldwide Livestream [*Over*]

Dali

It did not and i'm not weighting this as a good or bad thing because i don't really care.

What's the need of having Hollywood stars getting involved? Why do the game indusrty always strides to becomes Hollywoods wagging tale? Some of the actors that appear aren't even directly involved with games.

I do understand you can't make a geek pleasing show exclusivly, there's a need to make the ceremony as wide appealing as possible after all. Yet remember you can use actors and talent that is directly involved with games for the ceremony. I.E.: Voice actors, writers, musicians. Samuel Jackson (not evaluating his performance) or Alba don't fit there. And funny as hell is that there's actual "devs" with ease of speech, charisma and presence. One of them was at your backstage people! And finally, use more virtual vid game characters as presenters, don't forget this are videogames after all

Edit: Really superficial suegestion so i apologise in advance. No morecrowds in the pit, it does not work. The cell phone swinging got ridiculous. Again sorry for the bluntness.

The vga's are an award show targeting the "attack of the show" demo, gamers, and internet savvy teens and young adults. Samuel jack is a favorite among that demographic. How does he not belong? For that matter how does Alba not belong? You don't have to be a musician to host a music award (or even be a presenter) why do geeks think this show has to feature game related personalities exclusively? What if a celeb is a gamer?

Didn't watch the show but just saw the list.

Huh.

It's a good list and I'd agree with most of it. Nicely done, Spike.

Best Male Performance = Handsome Jack = YES lol

omonimo

Banned
Im suprised at the small amount of reveals of new stuff. Wonder if its due to this gen ending soon.

Well, the sudden disappearance of Guerrilla Studio seems a clear confirm to me (of next generation in coming). They stay too quiet from too much time now.

The vga's are an award show targeting the "attack of the show" demo, gamers, and internet savvy teens and young adults. Samuel jack is a favorite among that demographic. How does he not belong? For that matter how does Alba not belong? You don't have to be a musician to host a music award (or even be a presenter) why do geeks think this show has to feature game related personalities exclusively? What if a celeb is a gamer?
To the bolded, you are creating an argument im not expressing. Never sugested a complete erradication of all Hollywood celebrities from the show. However, the way is being handled is just a blank face, they are not cultivating an identity for the awards. It looks like just another Grammy, Oscar, Music Award wanna be.

On one hand and like i already said, i do understand that maybe their hand is forced to appeal to a wide demographic as possible. But don't tell me Sam Jackson cursing and making cliched jokes is the highest we can aspire to a ceremony that tries to celebrate videogaming.

There's lot of not so renowned talent closer to the industry that deserves the chance to shine in the spot light. What's so bad about that? Have the Hollywood stars parading in the red carpet and let people closer to the industry's heart have a voice. I mean how many designers, programmers, character artists you see in the Oscars? Never understood why this hobby and the industry that forges is so desperatly in need to feel validated.

In short, they could make this a bit more balanced and original.

And to reiterate, there are positives too. It shows there was hard work put in to this. So congratulations and hope this gets better with time.

He's not really a journalist at all. More of a personality.

Jesus. His own Twitter page calls him out as a game journalist. I cannot believe how much of a pass this guy gets away with the general group of gamers. He is a no talent assclown who over hypes and over sells 95% of the information he knows and everyone falls for it. And why does e do it? Because guess what, it gets all of you to tune into the VGA, be disappointed, and he reaps the rewards from Doritos and Dew for ad revenue.

Yopis

To the bolded, you are creating an argument im not expressing. Never sugested a complete erradication of all Hollywood celebrities. However, the way is being handled is just a blank face, they are not cultivating not an identity for the awards. It lloks like just another Grammy, Oscar, Music Award wanna be.

On one hand and like i already said, i do understand that maybe their hand is forced to appeal to a wide demographic as possible. But don't tell me Sam Jackson cursing and making cliched jokes is the highest we can aspire to a ceremony that tries to celebrate videogaming.

There's lot of not so renowned talent closer to the industry that deserves the chance to shine in the spot light. What's so bad about that? Have the Hollywood stars parading in the red carpet and let people closer to the industry's hard have a voice. I mean how many designers, programmers, character artists you see in the Oscars? Never understood why this hobby and the industry that forges is so desperatly in need to feel validated.

In short, they could make this a bit more balanced and original.

And to reiterate, there are positives too. It shows there was hard work put in to thiis. So congratulations and hope this gets better with time.

Put 30 Carmack clones on stage for 3 hours. Oh yeah dig up Will wheaton.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
To the flood of PMs I got, I wasn't the one who changed the title last.

Thank you for changing it again. The title before was embarassing, and a bad show of whoever did that.

So what were the games for the "far beyond summer of 2013" thing someone said?

And what about the games mentioned here: ""For hard-core gamers this is the first place you will ever see those new games," says the show's executive producer Mark Burnett. "Imagine if the Academy Awards was on and they announced five movies that no one has ever heard of. That is the equivalent. You will be on a rip-roaring, two-hour ride of television."

Dark Souls 2 and the phantom pain were all i saw. Everything else was already announced.

and what about the preview for the "Next-generation of gaming" that was mentioned?

I must of missed all that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
ijlpAErx93Mnu.gif

The last of us trailer was amazing

That man should be layed out flat on the ground.

Lime

So what were the games for the "far beyond summer of 2013" thing someone said? .

MGS5/Phantom Pain

And what about the games mentioned here: ""For hard-core gamers this is the first place you will ever see those new games," says the show's executive producer Mark Burnett. "Imagine if the Academy Awards was on and they announced five movies that no one has ever heard of. That is the equivalent. You will be on a rip-roaring, two-hour ride of television.

Dark Souls 2

MGS5/Phantom Pain

It was most likely not MGS5, it was Ground Zeroes - which has a release date of 2013. For it to be "far beyond summer of 2013" i'd expect to be at least a year later.

Dark souls 2 doesn't count as five games either, so that can't be the thing in the second quote.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So, there was no next-gen tease at all? They kept saying "a sneak peak at next-gen" for like, a year.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What upsets me is Valve got 16 people, including the Big Boss himself on stage to receive the price of Game of the Decade, only one talks, not the Big Boss, on stage and they don't announce anything.

:(

Visceir

I thought it was entertaining and quite well produced. Biggest disappointment was not seeing Snoop Lion perform...seems like the crowd agrees with me going by the boos. Most shameful parts were Zachary Levi and the people who booed at the game of the year announcement.

First time I watched the VGAs and I liked the show alot. All the comedy parts and of course the trailers were good to me. MGSV and DSII (even though I STILL can't get past 1-1 in Demon's Souls :/) were great announcements. Last of Us and Tomb Raider still looks great, BioShock Looks good too imo, but I'm still playing BioShock 1 :lol

I do have one question tho, is there any way to watch just the orchestra they did for the GOTY games? They keep taking it off of youtube wtf.

Jesus. His own Twitter page calls him out as a game journalist. I cannot believe how much of a pass this guy gets away with the general group of gamers. He is a no talent assclown who over hypes and over sells 95% of the information he knows and everyone falls for it. And why does e do it? Because guess what, it gets all of you to tune into the VGA, be disappointed, and he reaps the rewards from Doritos and Dew for ad revenue.
Why the ill feelings towards him? He makes a better representation in the public eye than the majority of other videogame writers.

The programing of GT is quite "professional" in relative terms to its peers. There's of course insubstantial programing but there are some gems in there. I can't quite grasp why someone will have a grudge against him.
Put 30 Carmack clones on stage for 3 hours. Oh yeah dig up Will wheaton.

So instead of trying to make some kind of argument to at least get a decent disscussion running, you just regurgitate whatever acrid remark crosses your mind? Roger that.

Edit: Also at in regards if it the hype was satisfied. It is conducts such as this that have given the world "entitled" a twofold meaning when associated to gamers. Some money hungry game companies get a lot less sh!t that the guys just putting an awards show.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Anyplace I can rewatch that big medley they did?

Naxx

First time I watched the VGAs and I liked the show alot. All the comedy parts and of course the trailers were good to me. MGSV and DSII (even though I STILL can't get past 1-1 in Demon's Souls :/) were great announcements. Last of Us and Tomb Raider still looks great, BioShock Looks good too imo, but I'm still playing BioShock 1 :lol

I do have one question tho, is there any way to watch just the orchestra they did for the GOTY games? They keep taking it off of youtube wtf.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/hm066c/video-game-awards-2012-vga-2012--part-2---the-walking-dead

Start time 03:22

Kayo-kun

I missed this and is just watching it now. Samuel L Jacksons entrance is badass. The one thing that annoys is me that they keep muting him everytime he swears. Why the fuck would you make SLJ your host if you cant handle a few fucks and shits here and there.

Marco1

Couldn't have said it any better.
Thanks.

J-Rzez

Was Sam paid by the "mutha fukka" he said?

Anyways, this show was much much, much better than last year's show which was an insult to gamers everywhere. This one was done much more classy. Not enough "award" time though I think.

Overall a dramatic improvement. Though this year we were a little light on games overall.

Top Bottom