• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spike VGAs Worldwide Livestream [*Over*]

Robertto

Neo Member
people just want to complain, i still think the first reveals of dark souls 2 and metal gear solid 5, is a pretty big haul.

PS Could not give a rats ass about Tomb Raider, new trailer, same old footage, of her falling out of a crashed plane and parachuting, game looks linear, and the character looks bland as fuck.

PSS i now care about the last of us, looks very interesting, seems to solve the whole uncharted narrative dissonance thing. Its E3 showing hurt it IMO.

Gorillaz

That was yanked from the replays of the VGA's wasn't it?

I don't remember it taking this long for trailers to become widely available to view.
It wasn't this bad last year. I remember they went after youtube channels that uploaded The Last of Us like HOURS later, i'm talking Saturday morning/midday. This year they seem set to go after everything as soon as it was revealed. Insane.

http://www.viddler.com/v/9c5828cf (Whoops that's Dark Souls 2 not Phantom Pain)

Lol thanks anyway tho

Pachimari

What were the 5th announcement?

We got:
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Dark Souls II

What were the 3 other announcements? I don't remember.

Where is the link to geoff saying, "5 unannounced titles will be shown"?

All in all I thought this VGA's was MUCH MUCH improved over last years, you are an ignorant fool to think otherwise.

The simple fact that developers got to accept their awards and talk for a pretty lengthy time (no tea-bagger) and no Felicia Day eating cupcake contests.

GavinGT

Banned
Came out the same week as the award show, maybe.

AC3 DLC

Halo 4 Spartan Ops stuff

That all I got.

Those weren't announcements, just new trailers. Hell, they didn't even announce a new season of Spartan Ops. They just showed a trailer showing not yet released season one cinematics.

Those weren't announcements, just new trailers. Hell, they didn't even announce a new season of Spartan Ops. They just showed a trailer showing not yet released season one cinematics.

When did geoff say there will be 5 new announced games revealed? Can't seem to find it.

So did Far Cry 3's release date screw it over? Borderlands 2 winning best shooter is... odd.

It's ok, Far Cry 3 is the best shooter in all our hearts :)
iZQqSaYfwyikj.gif

igvtxv9DdOzzN.gif

Santar

Just watched the show, much better than prevous years I think.
Dark souls 2 and Phantom "MGS" Pain was nice surprises.
Don't get why people are so upset over there not being more new announcements, it's not like you'd be playing the newly announced games now.

The five unannounced games:

1. The Phantom Pain - Ps3
2. The Phantom Pain - 360

3. Dark Souls II - Ps3
4. Dark Souls II - 360
5. Dark Souls II - PC

There you have it! There's not much else to add.

Xater

So basically only one new game announced here. Quite different from obvious years. Shows that almost everyone is moving on to PS4 and the next Xbox, and of course that stuff will be held back until E3.

I'm confused, why are people still hating on Geoff and saying he's a liar? He basically delivered on all his promises for this show. Any idea?

Saty

Because, from the OP:
What reveals can I expect at the Spike VGAs?

Five unannounced games along with a series of announced games such as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, The Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, South Park, BioShock Infinite, Gears of War: Judgment, Assassin's Creed 3 DLC, and Spartan Ops.

I'm not anti-violence, but it really is striking whenever the VGAs or (especially) E3 roll around and literally every game shown involves shooting, hacking at, or trying to kill something in some way. Aren't there any other gameplay concepts or story ideas that the industry can come up with that aren't completely dependent on murder?

I know there are games that do something different, but you would never know by watching the mainstream gaming events that get the most exposure. It's supposed to represent the best of the industry and this is all that they can come up with.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Guys - Appreciate all the feedback on VGAs, lots of good comments.

I never said we had five unannounced games to show you. I think this comes from a quote Mark Burnett gave to USA Today about how VGAs is known for revealing games, he was talking in a general sense.

I never said we had five unannounced games to show you. I think this comes from a quote Mark Burnett gave to USA Today about how VGAs is known for revealing games, he was talking in a general sense.

Hehe... I was right!

Don't worry Geoff, GAF is just scrambling to find things to bitch about. Thought the show as much improved over last year and very much appreciated it! Can't wait for May...
Why doesn't GAF make their own awards show?

Because it would be pretty horrendous. But we do GOTY in thread form... and then we usually bitch about the winner.

Gsak

Geoff, would you mind letting us know which game you had exactly in mind when you mentioned "old school"?

Also, about the "announcements", some/most of the games announced were already... announced/had footage (or trailers). So there weren't really premiering.

P.S: Phantom Pain doesn't really count. IMO, it's MGS viral marketing, for a game we already have seen a trailer for.

SgtCobra

Yeah it has definitely been improved in comparison with last year.
I also can't remember that "5 unannounced game reveals" comment coming from you, but I haven't been following this years VGA and all the stuff around it.

Saty

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1751725?articlePage=2

And in addition to announcing awards such as Game of the Year – the nominees are Assassin's Creed III, Dishonored, Journey, Mass Effect 3, The Walking Dead: The Game – new trailers for already announced games such as The Last of Us will be shown, as will five debut trailers.

"For hard-core gamers this is the first place you will ever see those new games," says the show's executive producer Mark Burnett. "Imagine if the Academy Awards was on and they announced five movies that no one has ever heard of. That is the equivalent. You will be on a rip-roaring, two-hour ride of television."
So it's the executive producer who 'lied'.

Roxas

Hi Geoff, i have 2 questions...

Where was the "glimpse of next gen"?

and

What was the "old school" game you were really excited about.

Thanks.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Geoff, would you mind letting us know which game you had exactly in mind when you mentioned "old school"?

Also, about the "announcements", some/most of the games announced were already... announced/had footage (or trailers). So there weren't really premiering.

P.S: Phantom Pain doesn't really count. IMO, it's MGS viral marketing, for a game we already have seen a trailer for.

Those are a lot of assumptions about Phantom Pain, but it's not a previously announced game.

Nibel

Way better show than last year, not as cringe worthy and developers had a good amount of stagetime - and with the Dark Souls 2 reveal you won GAF's heart back

The show has taken great strides to getting away from the awful humor and appeal to 14 year olds that plagued it in years past so congratulations on that. The major complaint I had with the show was the awards being handed out on the carpet, it was completely disrespectful to the people who have put their heart and soul into these games to be brushed aside and not even get recognized in front of their peers and you could see in their reactions that they couldn't believe awards were being handed out there, it was even worse than reading their names out. Maybe next year you could do the pre-show again but have it in the auditorium and hand out the awards that are not deemed TV worthy before starting the main show.

That dark souls II trailer made me squeel like a little kid.. Shit, the music and everything ,watching the hero fall to his knees dying. It was dark souls all right.

From Software really knows what they are doing.

Phazon

Mucht better show than previous years. Great choice of hosts, music artists and some nice announcements.

whitehawk

Banned
1. Why did the show end with Tenacious D? Nothing wrong with them, but this is supposed to be a show about videos games. End with an epic song from a video game at least. Why were people like Snoop Dog there? I suppose celebrities help with ratings, but it just annoys me. Also, "from 0 to nerd-gasm" really annoyed me. Couldn't she just say "from 0 to 10" or "from bored to hyped!"?

2. The Phantom Pain is related to Metal Gear Solid?

The show has taken great strides to getting away from the awful humor and appeal to 14 year olds that plagued it in years past so congratulations on that. The major complaint I had with the show was the awards being handed out on the carpet, it was completely disrespectful to the people who have put their heart and soul into these games to be brushed aside and not even get recognized in front of their peers and you could see in their reactions that they couldn't believe awards were being handed out there, it was even worse than reading their names out. Maybe next year you could do the pre-show again but have it in the auditorium and hand out the awards that are not deemed TV worthy before starting the main show.
It did not and i'm not weighting this as a good or bad thing because i don't really care.

What's the need of having Hollywood stars getting involved? Why do the game indusrty always strides to becomes Hollywoods wagging tale? Some of the actors that appear aren't even directly involved with games.

I do understand you can't make a geek pleasing show exclusivly, there's a need to make the ceremony as wide appealing as possible after all. Yet remember you can use actors and talent that is directly involved with games for the ceremony. I.E.: Voice actors, writers, musicians. Samuel Jackson (not evaluating his performance) or Alba don't fit there. And funny as hell is that there's actual "devs" with ease of speech, charisma and presence. One of them was at your backstage people! And finally, use more virtual vid game characters as presenters, don't forget this are videogames after all

Edit: Really superficial suegestion so i apologise in advance. No morecrowds in the pit, it does not work. The cell phone swinging got ridiculous. Again sorry for the bluntness.

Top Bottom