• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

Comment section:

"Completely ridiculous how bought off that place is by publishers and developers. Marketers, especially ones who work for Sony, are allowed to run wild on NEOGaf selling their trash. Just read some of the post by people who own the Vita over there. Complete PR garbage. I guess as long as the checks clear ever month he’ll allow the marketers to stay around. Or am I suppose to believe that when Sony announced the PS4 stage presentation a few weeks back most of GAF already had KAZ gifs ready to go at the drop of a hat. It was a well orchestrated campaign did by PR companies who own multiple accounts."

Damn. They got us. Time to resign my PR badge.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Comment section:

"Completely ridiculous how bought off that place is by publishers and developers. Marketers, especially ones who work for Sony, are allowed to run wild on NEOGaf selling their trash. Just read some of the post by people who own the Vita over there. Complete PR garbage. I guess as long as the checks clear ever month he’ll allow the marketers to stay around. Or am I suppose to believe that when Sony announced the PS4 stage presentation a few weeks back most of GAF already had KAZ gifs ready to go at the drop of a hat. It was a well orchestrated campaign did by PR companies who own multiple accounts."

Upgrade to GAF Gold like the rest of us man.

Woorloog

Banned
I take it running NeoGAF is kind of a dream job for EviLore?
I mean, it is full time job (right?) for him and he made NeoGAF what it is today.

Interesting life, running a forum that is also a sort of hobby.

Comment section:

Ha, this guy! NeoGAF has gifs ready for everything. Including his moronic comment.

482951_ogrkci.gif

Madouu

Mine expired last month. :(

As much as I love GAF I'm sure there's a few marketers, from all companies, that do very well their job here. Of course the only proof I can forward for this is that sometimes one of them slips and gets caught. Still, it is something that we have to live with and hopefully it is nowhere near as extreme as that silly post you quoted insinuates.

Woorloog

Banned
Just wanted to say I'm really happy to see so many people learning from and enjoying this. Really nice to see.

It is a nice look at NeoGAF's history, with no (obvious) bias against or for. Makes it good reading.

Kinda surprised at this, since it looks like video game industry and press seem to have somewhat negative opinion about NeoGAF. OK, you're a member but still.

"..a major studio said there’s only one thing worse – their official forums." Haha, was this a DICE dev talking about the EAUK Battlefield Forums, AKA Mordor? lol I miss that forum, DICE devs would actually come in a talk to us back in the day. Then they pulled the plug with one days notice.

Comment section:

This is hilarious. It's somehow more stupid than "OMG VIRAL MARKETER" posts on /v/.

Because clearly, a bunch of fucking Kaz gifs are the best way to market the PS4. Not the console itself.

...Though there might be something to say about 8GB GDDR RAM...

Anyway, I can't read this from work. Is this required reading for the NeoGAF history section of the GAF Gold application?

Great articles; love reading about the history of NeoGAF. EvilLore is a special dude to continue maintaining the integrity of the forum. Thanks to him, and all the great members!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Comment section:

Not only do we have gifs at the ready when the meet or exceed the rumores, we have gifs at the ready to when they fall hard

Currently living at a Muay Thai training camp in Thailand. :D Morning session in a couple hours!

Please tell me we're going to get a thread about this, holy crap. That sounds so badass.

Looking forward to part three. I only just joined the site a few years ago, so it's nice to get some history. :D

sephi22

Comment section:

Lurker sees the PS4 announcement thread.
Fails to see the announcement of the announcement thread, where everyone makes Kaz GIFs in anticipation.

Stupid lurker.

televator

the-wire-o.gif

So many things make sense now. When I first joined, I had no idea of just what kinda place this was. All I knew was that, I liked it here.

Stuart444

Part 3 is up!

edit: fantastic article... though the amount of money Evilore has been offered for the website... if it was me, I'm not sure I would be able to resist it.

Thank you Evilore for keeping NeoGAF afloat the way you do.

Also thanks to APZonerunner for doing these articles, rather interesting read and well written stuff as well :)

Well, that's that! Hope you all like it all as a complete series. I'm definitely looking into more pieces like this for more gaming communities, and I'd love to return to some of the aspects of GAF I never got to touch on one day. There was a lot of my conversations with Evilore left on the cutting room floor, and parts of it I deliberately left so as not to overlap too much with GT TV's efforts.

It was good fun to be GAF's historical scribe for a little bit! A nice pace-change from writing endless previews/reviews/etc.

Aww, now I'm curious :(

Ahh, a lot of it you should get from GTTV - I didn't see fit to include some of the things like "How owning GAF has changed Evilore's life" because I knew GT was going to cover some of that ground heavily, things about his personal tastes in gaming, his thoughts on what's going to happen next gen and so on.

There's also community-side stuff that could easily make a great piece; the music and art projects GAF has done, collaborative community efforts, the Project Eternity Inn etc - there's plenty of areas I'd love to come back and revisit.

Stuart444

Ahh, a lot of it you should get from GTTV - I didn't see fit to include some of the things like "How owning GAF has changed Evilore's life" because I knew GT was going to cover some of that ground heavily, things about his personal tastes in gaming, his thoughts on what's going to happen next gen and so on.

There's also community-side stuff that could easily make a great piece; the music and art projects GAF has done, collaborative community efforts, the Project Eternity Inn etc - there's plenty of areas I'd love to come back and revisit.

And that dudebro game that started out here haha.

Great pieces in any case, I'll remember the name for any future VG247 articles (since I didn't know you wrote for them) :)

Nice read. It's interesting to know how GAF was born and the changes it went through. The articles also show how passionate EviLore is with running the forums.

Toppot

Well, that's that! Hope you all like it all as a complete series. I'm definitely looking into more pieces like this for more gaming communities, and I'd love to return to some of the aspects of GAF I never got to touch on one day. There was a lot of my conversations with Evilore left on the cutting room floor, and parts of it I deliberately left so as not to overlap too much with GT TV's efforts.

It was good fun to be GAF's historical scribe for a little bit! A nice pace-change from writing endless previews/reviews/etc.

I think it would be great to have the 'sutting room floor' stuf posted a while after the documentary, maybe even a full unedited one. The articles were awesome to read, you did a great job =]

and kudos to EviLore to agreeing to the interview. I think most people on GAF really appreciate the community you have fostered here and the stress and challenges that come with it. If GAF ever gets a donate button I will happily throw money at it!

Toa TAK

Banned
Read through all three parts. This was a great three piece article and now I've got even more respect for Evilore and the mods.

But man that's a lot of money.

Top Bottom