• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

LiK

NeoGAF is #7 in posts per week despite having closed registration. It gets more traffic than most of the forums in the top 25, easily. Biggest English language gaming forum now (maybe unless you want to count Reddit; I have no way of comparing /r/gaming + the game specific subreddits accurately to a traditional forum).

Plus so many industry pros post here as well.

Woorloog

Banned
More interesting reading.
Waiting for part 3.
I think they can start threads, just not threads involving something they might have touched on?
This is what i've understood.
OT creators must not be affiliated with the game's developer or the publisher in anyway but otherwise any connections seem to be fine.

Jonboy

Great read. Had no idea about most of this.

I became a member within the past year and GAF is easily my most visited gaming site.

Vorundor

Great second part, EviLore is quite the astute overlord for sure. I have only been a member for a short time but I already love reading discussions here more than reading articles in other news sites.

In the GAF I trust, thats for sure.

Great read. Had no idea about most of this.

I became a member within the past year and GAF is easily my most visited gaming site.

This site stole me away from the gaming section at bluray.com. Once i got approved in 2011 i slowly stopped posting there. Now i only post in the bluray movie sections. Even still, i come to this site more than any other.

Lunar15

These are a fun read. I like that it's about GAF as a website, not GAF as some kind of weird hivemind juggernaut thing.

I'm particularly interested in part 3.

Great read.

I don't know if this was the board, but I remember there being some scandal that the community manager of Turn 10 studios (I think his name was Che) was caught trolling on some game boards about GT5. Is this true and did it happen here?

antitrop

These are a fun read. I like that it's about GAF as a website, not GAF as some kind of weird hivemind juggernaut thing.

It was written by a member with some proper perspective. That's why.

APZonerunner admitted to writing the piece on the first page of this thread.

Corto

gaf is the only site i have white listed for adblock. i love it even if it fills time that could otherwise be spent more productively.

i cant believe no one quoted this. i have been cracking up about it for ten minutes.

Everyone is afraid Evilore will lash out and ban us if we laugh at it.
It's indeed hilarious

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
gaf is the only site i have white listed for adblock. i love it even if it fills time that could otherwise be spent more productively.
i cant believe no one quoted this. i have been cracking up about it for ten minutes.
Edit: lol Dave.
The article says:
Everyone is afraid Evilore will lash out and ban us if we laugh at it.
It's indeed hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7-bIhCBSrzU#t=10s

antitrop

Fun reading these!

This, along with frequent references on GFW Radio is what made me register for an account. It took 6 months, but damn it, I wanted in.
I tried to sign up in 2006, realized I didn't have any e-mail addresses that would be accepted, and waited 5 more years for really no good reason outside of apathy/laziness and an extreme lack of time to be able to contribute anyway.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
It was a good read. Proud to be a member.

Enjoyable piece. Fills in a lot of the pieces I didn't know about before I was lurker turned member.

I also love that publishers threaten to blacklist gaf. It's like they have LawyerBot 9000.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Interesting articles, I didn't know much about oldgaf and the mighty rise of neogaf to it's current behemoth self.

Usually I try to stay away from painting everyone with the same brush, but I think it can be argued those in the industry that believe Gaf to be a 'pit', or feel it 'hurts the industry' are the ones that resent being held accountable. I believe it is their inability to manipulate what gets covered and talked about, like they do with other media, is the foundation of their resentment. Of course I have no proof to back up my claims, but as a long standing member I base my opinion on observation.

Kouichi

That was a great read. I enjoyed learning about GAF's history and I can't wait to read the next part.

I'm proud to be a GAF member.

The owner of the pre-eminent gaming discussion forum on the Internet is... a casual gamer?

images

Forum backfire, all abandon ship, women and children first :p

OT: I thought this would be some painful garbage clickbait to read, but it's just an interview and a history.
It resembles actual journalism, which is surprising.

DarkPanda

Very interesting article. I had no idea about all the troubles in transitioning from G.A.F to NeoGAF. Looking forward to part 3 tomorrow.

I've been reading the site for much longer than I have been posting, and this is a great series of articles for insight into the history of the site as well as its founder for new people like me. Looking forward to the rest of the series as well as seeing how it compares to the Gametrailers video.

Edit: Commentators on that site seem to think all the posters here are PR mouthpieces and we have an agenda.

Fonz72

Very good read. I wish I would have been around sooner. I learned about GAF listening to Weekend Confirmed.

I've seen Evilore around, but didn't know he was THE guy. It's like finding out the owner of the company you work for just walked through and you were clueless. "oh, wonder who that was. He seemed important"

Stuart444

Usually I try to stay away from painting everyone with the same brush, but I think it can be argued those in the industry that believe Gaf to be a 'pit', or feel it 'hurts the industry' are the ones that resent being held accountable. I believe it is their inability to manipulate what gets covered and talked about, like they do with other media, is the foundation of their resentment. Of course I have no proof to back up my claims, but as a long standing member I base my opinion on observation.

I'm pretty sure you're 99% correct (or more :p ). Some like EA probably hate the fact that people dug into the whole SimCity thing and found out what was truth/lies (even though other places did the same thing like reddit), people like Dyack hate that he can't exert pressure on the forum to make everything positive and 'control the message' so to speak and journalists hate... well they hate exactly what you said. We hold them to account and they in turn run to twitter and say stuff about us in an area that they can control the message. (CMs, PR, etc from game devs/pubs do this with their journo friends as well).

So yeah, you're pretty correct on this and I don't think anyone except those same exact people could disagree with it.

zkylon

zkylewd
tune in for part 3 in which gaf turns into a bile spewing hivemind that wants to get everybody fired everywhere!

:p

Top Bottom