• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

Woorloog

Banned
And a great final piece of the series.
Interesting reading, all of it.

Also, thumbs up for EviLore, turning down 5 million offer can't be easy.

dr-evil-o.gif
5 million dollars...

Mannn, should have used an image of this in the article. Opportunity missed. Shit.

Deacon

I did this. Be gentle.

Great story man. Very interesting and enjoyable read from someone who knew nothing about the site until couple years ago when a friend from work got me coming to and later joining the site.

Well, that's that! Hope you all like it all as a complete series. I'm definitely looking into more pieces like this for more gaming communities, and I'd love to return to some of the aspects of GAF I never got to touch on one day. There was a lot of my conversations with Evilore left on the cutting room floor, and parts of it I deliberately left so as not to overlap too much with GT TV's efforts.

It was good fun to be GAF's historical scribe for a little bit! A nice pace-change from writing endless previews/reviews/etc.

Can't wait to see what the GTTV story is going to have after seeing and reading that.

EviLore, much respect man. I know there's some super veterans around here, but I've been registered going on 6 years now (and lurked before that) and I have to say that your approach to this site has really made it a great place.

Those articles were great and I'm really looking forward to the TV special.

Keep doing what you're doing man. I honestly don't know if I'd be able to pass up that $5 mil offer. You certainly love this place and that's something I can admire.

Great story man. Very interesting and enjoyable read from someone who knew nothing about the site until couple years ago when a friend from work got me coming to and later joining the site.

Can't wait to see what the GTTV story is going to have after seeing and reading that.

Thanks dude, glad you enjoyed it.

RE GTTV - to be clear, I haven't seen it and don't know precisely what is in it, but spoke to a couple of people - Evilore included - about what kind of paths they'd be pursuing with interviewees and decided to tailor this a little bit differently. This is really the story of NeoGAF in the words of its owner, and then a look at the cogs and stresses of running the place for him, where it seems GTTV is looking more widely at "what is NeoGAF to the industry at large" and whatnot. That's what I've been led to believe, anyway. So I'm guessing you'll get something different out of that. If all goes well, this will end up being a nice unofficial companion piece to the GT doc.

Sober

Finished part 3. Was a damn good read, some great work there APZonerunner. I do hope you get the chance to expand on the other community stuff that GAF has done too, like you mentioned.

Respect for EviLore going up every day.

Was a fantastic series of articles. Thank you for exposing everyone to some insight into the site. I can't imagine how hard it would be to turn down enough money to comfortably support a family for life. Its a pleasure to be a part of GAF.

Since there's interest I'll definitely try to get some more of the transcripts of the chat between myself and Evilore out, even if I just dig 'em out and post some choice bits.

It'd be good if a mod could edit the OP to signal part 3!

Brinbe

Holy crap @ turning that $5 mil down. Seriously, thanks for everything, EviLore. Site wouldn't be quite the same.

And props, APZonerunner. All 3 parts were a good read and I learned quite a bit.

After reading part 1 I get the impression that NeoGAF still doesn't employ anybody except EviLore. Only one person pulls down a salary from this site?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Very good articles, Thanks, APZ!

I'm very happy to be in these forums, I really love it, many people know each other and actually meet up and many other things. I hope it just never ends.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thanks dude, glad you enjoyed it.

RE GTTV - to be clear, I haven't seen it and don't know precisely what is in it, but spoke to a couple of people - Evilore included - about what kind of paths they'd be pursuing with interviewees and decided to tailor this a little bit differently. This is really the story of NeoGAF in the words of its owner, and then a look at the cogs and stresses of running the place for him, where it seems GTTV is looking more widely at "what is NeoGAF to the industry at large" and whatnot. That's what I've been led to believe, anyway. So I'm guessing you'll get something different out of that. If all goes well, this will end up being a nice unofficial companion piece to the GT doc.

So basically we can learn and get something from your articles, and then we'll just masturbate to the GT doc?

“On average, I get … I think I would say a buy-out offer on average every two weeks. I’ve been thinking we’d run out of corporations, but maybe not.

I wonder if the likes of Microsoft, Sony or EA were one of those corporations.

nice work APZ

entertaining glimpse into the history of the site and what our glorious overlord is up to these days

is that enough brown-nosing to get upgraded to GAF Gold???

Corto

Well, eventually with all this extra exposure the value will just skyrocket to 10 millions and upwards. You can always create NeoGIF after selling out Evilore. hehehe I know , I know, there would be preventive clause on the contract but a proxy administrator Goodwood could do it.

And to reiterate my congratulations Alex, great, great read. Wonderfully written and made me a reader so everybody wins. ;)

Chittagong

Gold Member
$5 million is the exact sum I have estimated to produce a sustainable, inflation proof cash flow via property that would allow me to stop working and start travelling the world, quite comfortably too.

baphomet

Excellent articles.

EvilLore has my respect for turning down those offers. You could live comfortably the rest of your life without working with something like 5mil.

aristotle

Excellent articles APZ. I was hooked since the first one went up but I wanted to finish all three before I gave you kudos. I really enjoyed it and I hope to see more like this from you and VG. :)

Foffy

Banned
From what I was able to grasp with EvilLore with his intentions to go on a trip a few months ago (I believe he went on a tangent about something, I forget what), he has views that support the idea that value goes well beyond what we humans use as money, that there's worth beyond our official Monopoly game. I'm more proud that there's someone who has something that can easily be given away for that nonsense and realize that that's not truly worth it. Many, many, many others fail to see that and live their lives for the fantasy we make our reality central to, missing the passionate and valuable things in our lives that are worth more than assumed price tags.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know, I'd donate to give GAF better servers, Evil.

I spend so much time on GAF I'd have no problem helping it a bit.

Tabris

Went through all 3 articles. Great read and very interesting.

It's a bit weird thinking of NeoGAF as being this big deal when it's just been a part of your life for getting close to a decade. I mean big props out to EvilLore, and also big props out to all those members that have contributed positively to the community over the last decade. And also to the mods. This is really a great community with a good diverse mix of people.

Kevtones

Respect to Malka.

Also, I'd nominate Malka to be the first Professor of Internet Message Boards if there were such a thing. I mean this genuinely and in a high-regard as his insights and perceptions are built from a full-range of experience and concentrated learning. Great read and thanks for respecting us, the users.

Shallwhat

Banned
Wow, great three part story. I love NeoGAF and all of the discussions. I prefer usually just to read the forums, but sometimes it's fun to comment.

Malka...cool story bro....

You get Omni's Seal of approval and upmost admiration for accomplishing that level of
Entrepreneurship at your age. Inspirational man...

GhaleonEB

The offers Evilore has turned down are incredible. The passion for the site - the community - is something you just don't see much of these days. The integrity to hold off on selling out in the face of that kind of money reminds me a bit of Bill Watterson. (Odd comparison I know, but it's what came to mind.)

I hope you ask for site donations from members before turning to more drastic ad models for revenue, should the place go into the red, Evilore. I'm sure we'd keep it afloat and then some.

micah

My thoughts go out to Evilore. Its super difficult running a minimalist site while trying to maintain ad revenue. It is even more difficult when you have half or more of your visitors using AdBlock/ScriptBlock add-ons.

I occasionally click ads and open them in new windows to do my part, heh.

Top Bottom