• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Strain S2 |OT| The Thirst Is Real - Sundays 10/9c

Maxim726X

Completely horrendous first season. Everyone makes impossibly stupid decisions constantly. The characters are just vile and unlikable caricatures. The creature design was cool though. Pretty much a hate watch show for me, so will check out season 2.

I'm not quite here, but honestly the idiocy of the characters and the world they inhabit makes it hard for me to really get invested in the show. Some choice cuts, as far as I'm concerned:

- Hiring some hot chick to 'shut down the entire internet and cell phones'. Apparently, this has worked so well that no one else in the entire world has any idea about what's going on inside New York Fucking City.

- None of the characters ever take their evidence to the police, or I don't know... a newspaper? How hard would that have been? Now the entire world knows

- Walder Frey thinks that he's going to kill the Master, who apparently has inhuman speed and strength, with a cane sword... When he's too frail to even touch one of his lackeys.

Just a few off the top of my head. I really had to turn my brain off to believe most of the shit that was going on halfway through and beyond.

That being said, I'll probably try to binge watch the second season if the reviews are any good.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The show's only redeeming feature is the scary fact that it made the portrayal of the CDC realistic and believable after its real-life reaction to the ebola virus reaching America.

And goddamn, that fucking kid.

Firmly camped in so bad it's good territory.

Looking forward to this, but I do hope there's more of a sense of panic this season considering the island is under siege from an increasing number of vamps and seemingly locked off from the rest of NY.

Also hoping they've upped their make up budget. The Master was laughably bad...couldn't take him seriously at all.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In it for the rat guy and the old man. Everyone else can die a horrible death.

SWAT Vamps were cool AF.

I hope they realize everybody else is an incompetent fool not worthy of the air they breathe and summarily execute the entire cast, starting with the kid.

big ander

The makeup and costuming and set design were what I liked most. It's all so endlessly goofy, a campy exaggerated rendition of vampire mythology with some bonkers wrinkles and silly--but enjoyable--execution.

Those are just tangibles though. in terms of narrative, dialogue, basically any other aspect but a few visual elements, this show is flaming garbage.

hpkomic

Neo Member
Not a great show, but I am looking forward to S2.

What I LOVED about the show was the way the disease started slowly spreading. Vampire attacks at night, New York mostly functioning normally, more and more people wearing masks because of a virus without realizing how serious that shit was... I loved the aspect of the first season. The characters not so much, but the slow ramp up of the vampirism and how the nights were slowly being claimed really intrigued me.

That being said, sort of off topic, I hope Fear the Walking Dead has something similar to this as far as the spread of the zombie virus is concerned.

This show is such utter shit but not. I can't stop watching it. It's perfect for summer viewing. It falls into the same pile as Falling Skies for me.

Mr_Moogle

Liked it for a couple of episodes but it seemed to get worse as the season went on.

Also whoever came up with the design for Dracula needs to be fired. Shit looked terrible.

jelly

Don't know if I can go another season, rat catcher is the only good thing going. I'll see what the consensus is after a few episodes.

Hex

Banned

Best answer.

Personally I found the acting slid from bad to abyssmal , the writing was just syfy saturday night movie-ish, and then when they revealed the "master's" face I just sat laughing my ass off.
I expected and was hoping for so much more.
It is rare for a series to have so many people that you just do not like and so many that you actually hate.
The rat catcher is the only one interesting and I am sure that they will screw that up.
But, my roomie thinks that it was fantastic so like Bones said...YMMV

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Its Campy as hell and all kinds of Summer Awesome too.

So its basically Dead by Dawn kinda of Awesome.
If your in for a ridiculous fun Horror ride..its right for you.
If you need a coherent well written exceptional well acted Horror tale....Go Watch Penny Dreadful..its God Tier.

if you hate horror camp period,or really bad plot holes you must see past for the sake of the story(hello TWD)....just skip it.

TheOddOne

Season premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1 "BK, NY"

Eph and Nora work on a biological weapon to kill the strigoi, and Setrakian risks the lives of the entire group to find information about a closely guarded secret text. The Master begins the next phase of his own plan, by creating a terrifying new breed of creature and placing them under the control of Kelly.

I'll keep watching mostly just because its a mindless little show to fill the gap from when Game of Thrones ends and NFL football starts back up, especially since True Detective is making for a better sleep aid than a show.

I started watching for the Guillermo Del Toro, Blade 2 looking vampires and I'll keep watching for that. Some of season 1's writing was so bad it was good. That lady and that airplane line, oh god.

ha ha taking it you're not a fan of the show? I mean the show is more or less hot garbage but it was at least fun a times.

Also most of my favorite shows keep getting canceled so it's slim pickins these days for tv shows that I actually like.

Don't get the hate for this show. Hot Garbage imo is something like Falling Skies. This was enjoyable B movie vampire fun.

Top Bottom