• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The success of Xbox One won't ride on Gears of War and Halo- it's all about new IP

Freeman76

For xbox one to be a success now, Sony needs to fail hard, which could happen if they rest on their laurels, like MS did last gen.

EmiPrime

I think that's a thing for Microsoft. Not demanding to own the IP. Microsoft isn't doing bad in second place though. They aren't going to beat Sony in sales. I think they know that with their PC plan.

I also think they know 1st party just isn't as important as forums like to pretend. They don't drive systems the way 3rd party do. Which is why having something like COD as the main marketer is such a big thing. They have tentpole franchises and go about their other IP by contracting. There's just no need to be financially responsible for a studio beyond funding a game.

There has not been a shortfall of exclusives this gen. That's just false. Getting studios hasn't dried up. Making deals on games they didn't start has though.

The third party libraries of both consoles are largely the same so MS need to find other ways to differentiate themselves. Exclusives are one such way. Xbox One would be in a terrible place without Halo (I know I wouldn't have bought one were it not for Halo 5 and MCC) but instead of allowing Black Tusk to come up with a new IP to rival Halo, they turned them into the Gears studio. IMO that's a great shame.

What big second party game reveals have MS made in the last 12 months? All I can think of is State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 3.

The Ori, Below, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Ryse, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Cuphead and D4 deals were signed before the Xbox One was even released.

The second party well has been drying up and there isn't the first party lineup to compensate.

If MS was smart, they would have let Bungie create Destiny as an xbox/PC exclusive, while still forming 343 to continue Halo.

But nah, gotta hold studios down to one franchise

Shin-chan

While I don't agree BB is DS4, BB is a fuckton closer to DS than QB is to MP.
Like, not even comparable.
How? They're both tps with time manipulation mechanics. If you're going to debate play style changes and weapon differences and additional abilities then I'm going to do the same. The point is, the framework of the games is more or less unchanged, regardless of the details, because it's the details that make them new IP and distinguish them.

If MS was smart, they would have let Bungie create Destiny as an xbox/PC exclusive, while still forming 343 to continue Halo.

Budgie made a deal with MS to make a certain amount of Halo games for them, they're just as much at fault.

Angel_DvA

The third party libraries of both consoles are largely the same so MS need to find other ways to differentiate themselves. Exclusives are one such way. Xbox One would be in a terrible place without Halo (I know I wouldn't have bought one were it not for Halo 5 and MCC) but instead of allowing Black Tusk to come up with a new IP to rival Halo, they turned them into the Gears studio. IMO that's a great shame.

What big second party game reveals have MS made in the last 12 months? All I can think of is State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 3.

The Ori, Below, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Ryse, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Cuphead and D4 deals were signed before the Xbox One was even released.

The second party well has been drying up and there isn't the first party lineup to compensate.

Why ? I think Coalition is doing a great job with the Gears series, more than what 343i is doing with Halo, 343i killed Halo for me with Halo 4/5 but Gears 4 looks like a GOTY contender.

I think they still need something different, Sony has an amazing diversity and that's why I'm always choosing Playstation consoles at the end.

Dabanton

Which is why it's become increasingly important to stay on side with indie developers. That is where the diversity and variety is coming from for the most part now.

Considering how MS sort of laid the groundwork for that in the 360 era it's crazy how they messed it up for the X1 era, they have slowly turned it round but they turned off a lot of indie devs with their policies.

theWB27

So how do you explain the 30m gap if it not being for exclusives?

Sony is the biggest name in gaming and that isn't hard to know. They've won 3 gens in a row. Two of them blowouts. They even gave a year head start last gen and came out on top despite begin beat in a couple regions.

They had a dominant lead before Naughty Dog, Santa Monica or Polyphony, ever released a PS4 game. (Tlou is cross gen.) Before Uncharted...before GOW...before GT released. They have been crushing it.

Exclusives don't dominate sales threads so why would it be the main reason they sell the console? Why would Sony make deals with the biggest 3rd party franchises if their 1st party were all that were needed?

It makes no sense for Microsoft to fund two major FPS franchises.

No....no they didn't. Unless second place to the Wii is a victory.

Thanks for the correction, but doesn't change my ultimate point.

Ascenion

Sony is the biggest name in gaming and that isn't hard to know. They've won 3 gens in a row. Two of them blowouts. They even gave a year head start last gen and came out on top despite begin beat in a couple regions.

They had a dominant lead before Naughty Dog, Santa Monica or Polyphony, ever released a PS4 game. (Tlou is cross gen.) Before Uncharted...before GOW...before GT released. They have been crushing it.

Exclusives don't dominate sales threads so why would it be the main reason they sell the console? Why would Sony make deals with the biggest 3rd party franchises if their 1st party were all that were needed?

TannerDemoz

So, typical gaming article with zero facts, figures, or any data whatsoever to back it up.

And no, the very premise of the article is completely wrong. The success of a console rides on its marketing. Microsoft completely fucked up their launch and basically every mainstream marketing push since then, that's why the X1 is in the toilet. If they would have stayed the course that they set with the first 5 years of the 360 they would be actually competing with Sony, if not outright beating Sony, but instead they misjudged the market and tried to aggressively expand what a "console" is and in trying to get non-gamers to purchase an X1 they completely alienated their base.

Conversely, Sony has been on-point with the PS4's marketing. They correctly judged what the average gaming consumer wants to see and just keeps delivering it to them. Sony wasn't really concerned with trying to grow the consumer base, they knew the market was there and that it was big enough to sustain their business. So they went about recapturing existing consumers that they had lost to the 360.

This is spot on.

EmiPrime

Why ? I think Coalition is doing a great job with the Gears series, more than what 343i is doing with Halo, 343i killed Halo for me with Halo 4/5 but Gears 4 looks like a GOTY contender.

I was very happy with Halo 5 and I wanted to see Black Tusk's new IP more than I wanted a Gears 4. Just my opinion!

Because both are important.

We're going round in circles here...

Freeman76

For xbox one to be a success now, Sony needs to fail hard, which could happen if they rest on their laurels, like MS did last gen.

theWB27

I was very happy with Halo 5 and I wanted to see Black Tusk's new IP more than I wanted a Gears 4. Just my opinion!

Because both are important.

We're going round in circles here...

We're not going in circles. Exclusives and number of studios aren't nearly as important as you keep making it out to be. 3rd party means much more. Microsoft being 2nd despite putting out a decent amount of exclusives while losing to Sony before they released a tentpole title really illustrates that.

Forza 5,6...Horizon 2 and 3 before one Gran Turismo.

xviper

to the people saying that Bloodborne is not Demon's souls 4 because if it is then titanfall\QB are COD\Max Payne

would you say that Overwatch is Team Fortress 3 ? ofcourse not because they are completely different like TF to COD and Quantum break to Max payne

Demon's souls and it's sequels, Dark souls and Bloodborne, have the same situation as supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle-cars and Rocket league, same game, different name, would you say that Rocket league is a new IP ?? not SARPBC 2 but with a new name ?

Shin-chan

to the people saying that Bloodborne is not Demon's souls 4 because if it is then titanfallQB are CODMax Payne

would you say that Overwatch is Team Fortress 3 ? ofcourse not because they are completely different like TF to COD and Quantum break to Max payne

Demon's souls and it's sequels, Dark souls and Bloodborne, have the same situation as supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle-cars and Rocket league, same game, different name, would you say that Rocket league is a new IP ?? not SARPBC 2 but with a new name ?
Yes I would say Rocket League is a new IP. This is ridiculous.

xviper

just a friendly reminder, do not get excited about Gears 4, it's gonna be nowhere near as good as Halo 5, sure Halo 5 campaign was bad but the multiplayer was one of the best in this generation, but Gears 4 MP was trash from what i and many have played in the beta, and the campaign is not looking good at all from the trailers

if Gears 4 gets 80+ MC score, it would be a HUGE surprise for me

this remind me of Quantum break\Order 1886\No man's sky before release, everyone is so hyped about them and i felt sorry for them because i knew they will flop so hard and they did, so my advice to everyone is don't get hyped about a game that obviously looks mediocre

Novocaine

to the people saying that Bloodborne is not Demon's souls 4 because if it is then titanfall\QB are COD\Max Payne

Dark Souls is not a sequel to Demon's Souls it's a spiritual successor. Big difference.
Bloodborne only shares the basic mechanical archetype of Dark/Demon's Souls, everything else is different.

This is all clearly apparent if you have played the games..

theWB27

just a friendly reminder, do not get excited about Gears 4, it's gonna be nowhere near as good as Halo 5, sure Halo 5 campaign was bad but the multiplayer was one of the best in this generation, but Gears 4 MP was trash from what i and many have played in the beta, and the campaign is not looking good at all from the trailers

this remind me of Quantum break\Order 1886\No man's sky before release, everyone is so hyped about them and i felt sorry for them because i knew they will flop so hard and they did, so my advice to everyone is don't get hyped about a game that obviously looks mediocre

Thread this. Make sure everyone gets the word.

They have at least tried this gen thus far.

Ryse
Ori
Sunset Overdrive
Sea of Thieves
Quantum Break
ReCore
Scalebound
Cuphead

These are all brand new IP that weren't all necessarily created by Microsoft, but partially exist because of them. Hard to argue they aren't at least trying.
Yeah, they've definitely put out a lot of great new IP. It's just a shame that it looks like very few of them will get sequels. If that nerd leaks rumor is right, Ori will be the first new IP from MS this gen to get a sequel.

And while it's not a new IP, it's been great seeing Killer Instinct be so successful.

I'd say that up til now exclusives have not matters this gen because there hasn't been any outstanding exclusives. However, if I were buying a new console right now I'd definitely go for the PS4 for its exclusives. When you include PSVR, PlayStation has so many must have exclusives and console exclusives coming out within 6 months.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • RIGS
  • Battlezone
  • Eve Valkyrie
  • Star Trek Bridge Crew
Looking long term the PS4 adds...
  • God of War
  • Detroit
  • Spiderman
  • Days Gone (?)
On the Xbox One side I only have two upcoming must have exclusives
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Gears of War 4(?)
To be honest, I am being generous to have Gears of War 4 on that list because I didn't buy the last Gears game, Gears of War: Judgment.

xviper

Yes I would say Rocket League is a new IP. This is ridiculous.

lol, at least Dark souls(Demon's souls 2) has improved and changed a little bit from the first game

Rocket League(supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle-cars 2) hasn't changed anything from the first game at launch and just added more customization, even worse, it removed the variety of maps and just added the same route for every map, the first game had different routes for some of the maps, i'm talking about Rocket league's launch, i know they added lots of things since then

They need diversity badly. Also, it seems like the xbox market is unfortunately not very conducive to diversity. Do you think something like bloodborne, last gaurdian, or most jrpgs would survive as xbox exclusives?

Shin-chan

Whatever this argument is pointless. If you can't understand what makes two different products different IP there's no point in continuing.

I mean, new Bond is just a Jason Bourne rip off. No new IP there - they just made him British.

And Star Wars VII is just JJ Abrams taking what he did with Star Trek and doing it with Star Wars. No different IP - it's even the same creator!

For example Sony could fail by releasing next console one year later than competition for 100+ $ more screaming about better performance and new blu-ray drive like they did with PS3.

Oh wait...

But article is correct Gears, Forza, Halo and Fable were majority of late x360 library. Anyone who cared already bought one.

ethomaz

Banned
I understand where you're coming from, not a lot of people bought Bloodborne when it came to the PS4 install base, not a lot of people bought Sunset Overdrive, but it's those things that help build a positive repertoire and brand image with the people who are invested. Sure I absolutely agree that most success is down to effective marketing and multiplats, but that portfolio can do wonders for brand image more than anyone can think.
What? Bloodborne was a sales success at launch.

1 million in less than 3 weeks.

They need diversity badly. Also, it seems like the xbox market is unfortunately not very conducive to diversity. Do you think something like bloodborne, last gaurdian, or most jrpgs would survive as xbox exclusives?

Microsoft just needs exclusives more geared(hehe) towards their audience. I'd be readying an Xbox One purchase if I knew that new versions of old exclusives like MechAssault, Deathrow, Crimson Skies, and ShadowRun were in the works.

Because Sony have lots of successful new IP's for ps4, right ?, every single new IP sony made for PS4 is a disappointment, don't tell me Bloodborne, because it's just Demon's souls 4

the only new IP from sony that could be a success is Horizon, we will have to wait and see

meanwhile Xbox one had Sunset Overdrive and Ori and the blind forest and both of them are underrated as hell because they are amazing

Every single Sony new IP for PS4? Really? So Bloodborne (which is a new IP whether you like it or not), Until Dawn, Resogun, Helldivers, Bound and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture are suddenly considered disappointments now?

LOL! The hallmark of every good argument: Redefining what terms mean just so they suit your argument.

Intellectual property doesn't mean what you think it means.

A lot of people (including Microsoft) seem to conveniently ignore the Wii in last gen comparisons. It's weird.

It could be worse though, they could insist the 360 won last gen because Japan doesn't count...
lol Arthur Gies

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Are you sure you're thinking of Gears 4? everything I've seen and played has looked great and the response to everything else they've shown has been very positive.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Given how well the new ips are doing, I'd say the author couldn't be more wrong. Success no doubt hinges on familiar returning franchises, not the new ips that have been underperforming.

Not sure why the author kept saying "we" either. He doesn't speak for everyone.

oti

Banned

But they are pretty diverse, don't you think? Sure, you've got your Halos and your Gears of War but also Ori, ReCore, Quantum Break, Cuphead, Scalebound, Forza Horizon, Tomb Raider was exclusive for a year, Fable (RIP) was very different. What else is left? A full on JRPG that's what's left MICROSOFT WHERE'S LOST ODYSSEY 2?!

I totally forgot Sunset Overdrive. But hey, so did the average consumer.

Over 500k retail in opening NPD.

NMS is loling at you :p

Depends on how you define successful new IP. If you define it as launching an IP that built enough hype to sustain a series, then NMS isn't a success. At this point, if Hello games were to announce No Man's Sky 2, nobody would care. In fact, being a sequel to NMS would hurt future sales more than it would help it.

J_Viper

I'd say that up til now exclusives have not matters this gen because there hasn't been any outstanding exclusives. However, if I were buying a new console right now I'd definitely go for the PS4 for its exclusives. When you include PSVR, PlayStation has so many must have exclusives and console exclusives coming out within 6 months.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • RIGS
  • Battlezone
  • Eve Valkyrie
  • Star Trek Bridge Crew
Looking long term the PS4 adds...
  • God of War
  • Detroit
  • Spiderman
  • Days Gone (?)
On the Xbox One side I only have two upcoming must have exclusives
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Gears of War 4(?)
To be honest, I am being generous to have Gears of War 4 on that list because I didn't buy the last Gears game, Gears of War: Judgment.

>VR
>Must have

Is this bait

Also, Halo Wars 2 isn't looking to hot, and the response to the last beta was tepid at best

Yes, I think opening at 100k in the U.K. And 500k in the US at retail would be considered a big success for an IP only available on one platform (for the purpose of these figures and the charts). For the record this is better than the majority of other exclusive software this gen.

Pretty sure that number doesn't account for the tidal wave of full refunds that were given out after the fact. Hard to call that a success.
Not to mention the permanent damage this has done to future sales of the game.

Microsoft just needs exclusives more geared(hehe) towards their audience. I'd be readying an Xbox One purchase if I knew that new versions of old exclusives like MechAssault, Deathrow, Crimson Skies, and ShadowRun were in the works.

They could, but given the way they handled phantom dust, it seems very sketchy.

theWB27

Depends on how you define successful new IP. If you define it as launching an IP that built enough hype to sustain a series, then NMS isn't a success. At this point, if Hello games were to announce No Man's Sky 2, nobody would care. In fact, being a sequel to NMS would hurt future sales more than it would help it.

You're just moving goal posts to pretend it isn't successful. It was second last month in sales and now it's '' to sustain a series?" Any lengths to make something worse than it is, huh?

Moosichu

This quote from the article is quite amusing:

Remember when Sony wanted us to jump for joy at the sight of Kratos making his return at E3 (with a kid and a beard in tow, no less) but we groaned at another resurrected first-party series, instead clamouring for the new post-apocalyptic wilderness of Days Gone.
No, I don't remember this happening at all.

I'm still surprised they don't have a first party WRPG. Games like Kotor, Fable, and Mass Effect 1 were defining parts of early Xbox/360. They even have Casey Hudson at MS now! It's a shame that Obsidian game was cancelled.

Shin-chan

Pretty sure that number doesn't account for the tidal wave of full refunds that were given out after the fact. Hard to call that a success.
Show me some evidence for all of these returns at retail. Please.

Also if they were returned within the month of august, so within two weeks of launch, they would be counted as a negative sale at NPD and the numbers would be way lower. Not to mention that the games legs have been more or less standard in the UK and haven't shown any drastic decline due to the backlash.

No Mans Sky was a success. Why is that hard to stomach? I've never even played the game and have no horse in the race to hate Hello Games for lying, but they've made a lot of money from it.

Unless you have any evidence suggesting otherwise?

ethomaz

Banned
It sold mostly 1 million at launch accounting WW + digital.

That defines success no matter how anybody try to spin.

Do you have the refunds numbers? No... at all accounts it didn't reach 5% of overall sale unless you show more accurate info.

But they are pretty diverse, don't you think? Sure, you've got your Halos and your Gears of War but also Ori, ReCore, Quantum Break, Cuphead, Scalebound, Forza Horizon, Tomb Raider was exclusive for a year, Fable (RIP) was very different. What else is left? A full on JRPG that's what's left MICROSOFT WHERE'S LOST ODYSSEY 2?!

I totally forgot Sunset Overdrive. But hey, so did the average consumer.

Diverse compared to Playstation or Nintendo? Not really. Look at that list tps, indie platformers with low budget and low risk, and the occasional rpg.

You have no idea what a new IP is, do you? Stahp.

This quote from the article is quite amusing:

No, I don't remember this happening at all.

This lol the reverse happened. God of War reboot went down a treat, meanwhile a lot of people were pretty unimpressed with Days Gone. New IP but tired concept. I have faith that Bend will do it justice though. We still barely know anything.

>VR
>Must have

Is this bait

Also, Halo Wars 2 isn't looking to hot, and the response to the last beta was tepid at best

Not bait. Totally legit. VR and Horizon Zero Dawn have been the first next gen things I've been truly super hyped for. Mass Effect Andromeda was on that list but dropped off due to lack of information.

My Xbox One list was pretty much a sympathy list. I'm not overly excited about any of their upcoming games. However I admit part of that probably has to do with not owning the console, so I tried to compensate. I put Halo Wars 2 and Gears 4 on the list solely out of love for past games in the series. I haven't been following their progress at all.

You're just moving goal posts to pretend it isn't successful. It was second last month in sales and now it's '' to sustain a series?" Any lengths to make something worse than it is, huh?
It sold mostly 1 million at launch accounting WW + digital.

That defines success no matter how anybody try to spin.

I'm not moving the goalposts at all. This thread is talking about exclusive IP that could push console sales. Do you think an announced exclusive No Man's Sky 2 could move many more consoles than an exclusive game of Tic Tac Toe at this point?

Or put another way...How much do you think a console platform owner would pay to get an exclusive No Man's Sky 2 versus any other failed game? I'd say that it'd be about the same.

I'm still surprised they don't have a first party WRPG. Games like Kotor, Fable, and Mass Effect 1 were defining parts of early Xbox/360. They even have Casey Hudson at MS now! It's a shame that Obsidian game was cancelled.

Damn good point. How did I forget about those?

Wasn't Halo 5 immensely popular online despite the lack of a good single player?

I am also sure GOW will be really good when it comes judging latest previews.

MS has tried to create new IPS such as Quantum Break, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, etc.

Problem is that most don't purchase anything that is not GOW, Halo, Or Forza when it comes to Xbox and THAT is the real problem!
Perhaps advertise a new IP by implementing a beta with an already popular IP. Like how Crackdown had the Halo 3 beta inside the disc for the 360.

Top Bottom