• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros 3 (GBA) E-levels thread

Damn, I feel like we're really missing out here. I think all of those new and old elements combined would have made the new 2-D Mario game that we all expected. Beautiful 2-D sprites and the potential for absolutely mind-blowing level design.

This is just another one of those times where Nintendo just makes you shake your head in disbelief.

Mama Robotnik said:
HOLY HOLY SHIT!

Tanooki blocks!? Mario's boomerang!? Kuribo's shoe block!?

(1) This video warrants a thread of its own, its that awesome; and (2) Why the fuck did Nintendo hide such gold in obscure bloody cards?

Seriously! So many amazing ideas there. I wish I were able to play these levels. :-(

IceMarker

I STILL have my copy of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 sitting in one of my DS cases with all the E-Reader crap I could find in America loaded into it. They were all great levels! :D

Andrex said:

Woah.

34gswow.gif

There is an easy way to play these levels via emulation. There are two save files around that contain all levels unlocked (for some reason, the first one only has the 4 classic levels, the other one has the rest).

I played through them last year, and it was a blast. All great levels except one based on SMB2USA where you have to dig sand endlessly. Challenging too, at least if you're going for all coins. Only bad thing is I don't think the power-ups cards can be used, but they look pretty useless anyway... anyone knows what they do?

I have got the Set 2 e-Reader cards since then, but there really is no point getting the US releases. Half the levels missing I believe. If you're going to do it legit, you would have to spend hundreds of dollars on the Japanese cards (I believe a few of them are really rare), plus JP game + e-reader.

I really hope Nintendo releases the 32 (40?) levels on a 3DSware or something.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, a couple were sold in some chains that only had like 3-4 stores in Japan. It was insanely dum. :lol

Hylian7

Ahh yes I remember this. I still have an e-Reader and a lot of the cards. Probably the biggest downfall of the thing was the fact that you had to have 2 GBA's to be able to get this stuff! Granted, many of the "hardcore" fans had an original GBA and an SP (like I do), but everyone else ended up getting screwed over. I wish these levels would be re-released in a more easily-accessed fashion, because they were awesome.

IceMarker

Hylian7 said:
Ahh yes I remember this. I still have an e-Reader and a lot of the cards. Probably the biggest downfall of the thing was the fact that you had to have 2 GBA's to be able to get this stuff! Granted, many of the "hardcore" fans had an original GBA and an SP (like I do), but everyone else ended up getting screwed over. I wish these levels would be re-released in a more easily-accessed fashion, because they were awesome.
Be like me and use the Gamecube GBA Player and my SP.

Andrex said:

Yup, that video is in my favorites, amazing stuff. :)

I read that the only card rarer than the Walmart promo Airship's revenge is Mad Dash. It was one of the Japan only e-cards and you could only get it if you brought it to a comic/manga store in Japan and have one of the staff scan it for you who would then take the card back to be kept behind the counter (which is why it's the only one of the cards that hasn't been emulated). In the level you have only 20 seconds to speed dash through the stage, avoid enemies and get all 5 Advance coins. Here's the only known footage of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8lTn0AX94

Like I said back in April, it was kind of bullshit of Nintendo to do all this work on creating brand new levels with new gimmicks, and not letting you play a single one without an e-Reader and some cards.

If they handle it right, the VC release of SMA4 will be explosive.

GaussTek said:
Yes, there's a way to run the levels on an emulator (No$GBA), but isn't very easy. You need a hacked save file for the second machine (which will emulate SMA4), e-reader dot codes and of course, e-reader and SMA4 dumps. The worst part is that the emu is buggy when emulating two GBA at the same time, so you need to do some configuration actions in a particular order. IMO, not worth the hassle.

...No you don't. At least not to play the levels and get the items. You just need savestates or hacked save files for that.

It's a shame Nintendo didn't do anything for the 20th Anniversary of the game (well, there was a nice write up in one of the spring Nintendo Powers). As said before, a special edition of the game on Wii Ware or DSi Ware with all the e-levels (and I want 'em all Nintendo, obscure manga shop promo levels included) as a reward for completing the game would be amazing. But I guess we'll all just have to dream because....

Wii said:
Unfortunately that's not how Nintendo works.

There is no feedback loop!

:(

Anth0ny

Just watched that vid, I can not believe all the additional content they included with these E-cards. Insane.

They really need to release it on Wii Ware or something. Don't they know everyone would eat it up?

Gameboy415

My college roommate and I got all the US released cards, including the Wal-Mart exclusives and promos.

Then, when we were both living in Japan a few years ago, he bought sealed boxes of both series of the Japanese cards (which came in randomized packs, ugh). He got a near-complete set and sold a second near-complete set to me. :D
I have yet to try them out, seeing how I didn't have my e-reader with me in Japan. I think my friend played them all though.

I also found packs of Rockman Zero 3 e-cards and F-Zero GP Legend e-cards on clearance for 10yen each and amassed a small collection of those too.

I can try to take some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Gameboy415 said:
My college roommate and I got all the US released cards, including the Wal-Mart exclusives and promos.

Then, when we were both living in Japan a few years ago, he bought sealed boxes of both series of the Japanese cards (which came in randomized packs, ugh). He got a near-complete set and sold a second near-complete set to me. :D
I have yet to try them out, seeing how I didn't have my e-reader with me in Japan. I think my friend played them all though.

I also found packs of Rockman Zero 3 e-cards and F-Zero GP Legend e-cards on clearance for 10yen each and amassed a small collection of those too.

I can try to take some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I'm definitely interested, pics of the Rockman Zero & F-Zero cards would be cool to see also if you don't mind.

Speaking of the coin train from SMW. The player can control the direction of the coin train by pressing the direction they want the train to go on the dpad.

These levels are amazing, I SMH at you Big N for holding out. I was gonna get an e-Reader and now I need to smack my damn self for not doing it. This is going to be my next little project because as a Mario fan I need to experience some good old Nintendo level design. Either Nintendo needs to release these levels or somebody needs to make every last one accessible some how. The latter will happen way before the former but I'll wait. I might have to take a look at the stiff that is available though one day this week.

Agent Unknown said:
Yup, that video is in my favorites, amazing stuff. :)

I read that the only card rarer than the Walmart promo Airship's revenge is Mad Dash. It was one of the Japan only e-cards and you could only get it if you brought it to a comic/manga store in Japan and have one of the staff scan it for you who would then take the card back to be kept behind the counter (which is why it's the only one of the cards that hasn't been emulated). In the level you have only 20 seconds to speed dash through the stage, avoid enemies and get all 5 Advance coins. Here's the only known footage of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8lTn0AX94

Damn that level isn't included in the save. I think it's the only one missing. Must be damn rare. I wonder if there is a way to play... then again it's only 20 secs I guess.

IceMarker

crimzonflame said:
Speaking of the coin train from SMW. The player can control the direction of the coin train by pressing the direction they want the train to go on the dpad.
Older than Betty White.

I collected all the English ones back in the days, despite how silly the e-Reader thing seems now I thought it was awesome heh. Prolly just I was so overjoyed to have additional Mario 3 stuff (my fav Mario game ever/one of my fav games in general ever :p) that I was just in love with my GBA.

I always loved the e-reader, I always thought that it was such a cool idea but underutilised.

Why wasn't there a GBA pokemon trading card game where you could add your own actual physical Pokemon cards into the game!?

Also this

915707_43702_front.jpg

Is fucking awesome! :D

TreIII

Ahhhh, looking at video was definitely awesome. I hope there will be a legit means to play all that soon.

On the other hand, wasn't there a "Super Mario Museum" copyright info found sometime around last year's E3? Maybe something they're saving for 3DS or whatever...?

crimzonflame said:

vlcsnap-2452547.jpg

Allan Holdsworth said:
Damn that level isn't included in the save. I think it's the only one missing. Must be damn rare. I wonder if there is a way to play... then again it's only 20 secs I guess.

Yeah, basically the only way to get the Mad Dash level at this point would involve buying an import copy of SMA4 from a hardcore Japanese fan that actually had the level still saved to the cart itself. So, probably will never happen unless someone gets really lucky. The only other promo card I know of like that which was given out at a Japan hobby shop was for a new Fortress level but in that case players got to keep the card too.

TreIII said:
Ahhhh, looking at video was definitely awesome. I hope there will be a legit means to play all that soon.

On the other hand, wasn't there a "Super Mario Museum" copyright info found sometime around last year's E3? Maybe something they're saving for 3DS or whatever...?

I dunno, I'm guessing that was probably just some left over info from the "Super Mario Museum" event that they held in NY way back in Nov to celebbrate the NSMB launch. I'd love to be proven wrong though, of course.

Rocksteady33

I remember I tracked down an e-Reader and cards when they were pretty much all on clearance, picked up the cards for $2 a pack and the NES games for $.25 a pack. Absolutely awesome. Some of the most challenging and clever game designs of any 2D Mario games. It seems like they were created as a testing ground for what the e-Reader could do, any regular Mario fan would see that all the clashing of Mario worlds would seem out of place, but then again they probably figured very few people would actually play these levels.

Well, I started collecting SMB 3 e-cards back in July, and in my ultimate aquisition after monitoring ebay for 6 1/2 months straight, I finally scored the five ultra rare exclusive Walmart only e-cards in an ebay auction on Monday and just got them today (I now have three e-readers because of all this lol), Airship's Revenge is awesome. Time to get a printer and some photo quality paper now. ;) Anyways, here they are:

Walmartsmb3ecards.jpg

ReyVGM

I have a save file with all these levels and items unlocked, but it's illegal to link to it.

The content of the cards is not in the actual game, the cards don't "unlock" anything. When you scan the cards, their contents get saved in the game's battery. So basically, you are spreading copyrighted content with that SMA4 save file.

I sure hope no one private messages me asking for the complete Super Mario Advance 4 save file with all the levels unlocked ready to be played on the Visual Boy Advance emulator.

Platy

Seeing this video i was kinda sad that they didn't add Yoshi .... because it would have been the ultimate 2d mario game

ReyVGM

jgkspsx said:
I have an eReader and a couple packs of Mario cards. Can modern printers duplicate the patterns well enough?

Most, if not all, of the cards are already dumped. A long time ago.

I actually have all the cards, including the Wal-Mart ones! Damn them for making three cards exclusive to Wal-Mart, btw. I hated having to give them my money.

Top Bottom