• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2-2 |OT| - Thread of Outgrowing Galaxies with Manly Tears

Mandoric

Banned
I'm really liking some of the new skill points. There's a mission that's basically
"Satellite Cannon: the tutorial"

Shouta

I'm really liking some of the new skill points. There's a mission that's basically
"Satellite Cannon: the tutorial"

Oh yeah, there was that map too. That was amusing as hell. They also buffed the area for that attack too, very sweet.

Mandoric

Banned
Oh yeah, there was that map too. That was amusing as hell. They also buffed the area for that attack too, very sweet.

Now that I think of it, you could also
wear them way down, attack, kill the support defender, support attack, kill the main target? but why bother if the moon's out.

Also it's really awkward when I go to complain about being stuck with the useless shota but he's actually -the- useless Shota. I guess if I focused on him he'd be better, but supers are so much better when you throw one into the front lines and watch it Lock On/morale-roll and I'd far rather use Mazinger or Zanbot for that.

Shouta

Now that I think of it, you could also
wear them way down, attack, kill the support defender, support attack, kill the main target? but why bother if the moon's out.

Also it's really awkward when I go to complain about being stuck with the useless shota but he's actually -the- useless Shota. I guess if I focused on him he'd be better, but supers are so much better when you throw one into the front lines and watch it Lock On/morale-roll and I'd far rather use Mazinger or Zanbot for that.

You mean the useless Shoutaro!

He's not bad though actually. A little EN heavy but having a frontline healer that can soak up some damage is really nice. He'd probably be really nice if I sunk some money into it.

Anyway, the character interactions in this are so good like I said in the my previous post. There was one that I laughed at around the map you are on
Garroad goes off to find a job to make money for him and Tifa so he joins Takeo General Company. He gets asked why doesn't he sell his Gundam because someone heard from Rand that he did it before. He says he tried to but no one would buy it because it's a Gundam.
I laughed at this. There's a slight continuation of it later too that really amused.

Mandoric

Banned
You mean the useless Shoutaro!

He's not bad though actually. A little EN heavy but having a frontline healer that can soak up some damage is really nice. He'd probably be really nice if I sunk some money into it.

Anyway, the character interactions in this are so good like I said in the my previous post. There was one that I laughed at around the map you are on
Garroad goes off to find a job to make money for him and Tifa so he joins Takeo General Company. He gets asked why doesn't he sell his Gundam because someone heard from Rand that he did it before. He says he tried to but no one would buy it because it's a Gundam.
I laughed at this. There's a slight continuation of it later too that really amused.

He's the trope namer, if Japan can drop the "u" and "rou" so can I!
I think the heal part is key. If the game didn't hand out ridiculous backline SP tanks like candy, he'd be a lot more awesome.

More characters, from the beginning of the Mazinger plot:
Esther: A ghost!?
Brocken: I am not a ghost!
Gainer: A decapitated head!
Gaury: Akuryo taisan!
Brocken: I said, I'm not a ghost!

Shouta

I've actually used unit healing more than SP healing so far, usually the opposite for me. It's kept some of my guys leveled up, Shotaro, so he isn't useless should a stage for him comes up.

Shouta

Oh man, I think Crowe has to be my favorite SRW original so far. Minor spoilers

He makes his big comeback saving Esther from the new big bads. His past is revealed and the likely reason why he has a distaste for women is shown, and he manages to rack up another 1,000,000g debt, forcing him to join ZEXIS again. Poor dude can't catch a break.

Esther's Nya tick is also revealed in this sequence too. I reacted the same way the rest of the characters did.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wut, WRONG TETSUJIN is awesome!
His FUB is ignore barrier!

Kinda weird that WRONG TETSUJIN is removed for a while and you control Black Ox.

Mandoric

Banned
For all that shit gets really broken really fast, I'm liking the balance. Wiping the floor with regular enemies isn't all that damaging when every wave comes with ten aces who -will- have 50% hit on your reals and leave them under half HP in one shot.

The boss stats are positively Winky-tastic too. Stage 8, the boss is chilling out with 27k HP and a 4100-power attack he can spam at will.
My units are a bit more forgiving at around 6k/1500 armor instead of 4500/1100, but I'm still actually having to heal, support defend, and keep as much mitigation up as I can.

Shouta

For all that shit gets really broken really fast, I'm liking the balance. Wiping the floor with regular enemies isn't all that damaging when every wave comes with ten aces who -will- have 50% hit on your reals and leave them under half HP in one shot.

The boss stats are positively Winky-tastic too. Stage 8, the boss is chilling out with 27k HP and a 4100-power attack he can spam at will.
My units are a bit more forgiving at around 6k/1500 armor instead of 4500/1100, but I'm still actually having to heal, support defend, and keep as much mitigation up as I can.

I just hit 17 and the general level is pretty speedy for an SRW game. Hakai-hen started kinda slow but this has already hit full drive in terms of stages full of enemies and the like. The grunts are pretty buff too, some of the one-step up grunts even survive the attacks from my powered units at lower Morale levels. SP Regen has been a life saver in that regard because it allows my weaker units to fight and survive still.

So on story, I can see why they added Wing TV to the mix for Z2. Some nice stuff with the series mixing streams. Wing and Geass in particular in the stage I just finished.

Mandoric

Banned
I just hit 17 and the general level is pretty speedy for an SRW game. Hakai-hen started kinda slow but this has already hit full drive in terms of stages full of enemies and the like. The grunts are pretty buff too, some of the one-step up grunts even survive the attacks from my powered units at lower Morale levels. SP Regen has been a life saver in that regard because it allows my weaker units to fight and survive still.

So on story, I can see why they added Wing TV to the mix for Z2. Some nice stuff with the series mixing streams. Wing and Geass in particular in the stage I just finished.

Just starting on 8 here, shipping's a bitch and I'm a stupid masochist who spends an hour on my PSP and an hour updating Akurasu. I'm pretty sure I already missed a secret too!
So far I've taken the "kill everything before I run out of SP" approach, but I think that's gonna change now that I've got more reals to play with.

It's up on the PSN if you search for it.

I'm recording my first playthrough, going for skill points (among other challenge conditions). I never finished Z2-1 so no carryover bonus.

I'm wondering if completing the game unlocks any extra modes like Ex-Hard or anything like that. It might not seem broken at first but once you start stacking emblem bonuses, carryover bonuses, cheap upgrades, broken skill combinations, etc. it gets pretty absurd later on (from what I've read on srwg).

So... does this use save data from the first part?

Need to finish that up lol.

And it kinda makes sense that your dudes are 'broken'. 2nd half of most of these shows tend to have pretty OP mechas no?

Yes it does. You get money, PP, Kills and Items depending on whether you have a Clear Save, the number of times you completed the game (up to 10 rounds), and whether you completed all scenarios.

Yes it does. You get money, PP, Kills and Items depending on whether you have a Clear Save, the number of times you completed the game (up to 10 rounds), and whether you completed all scenarios.

10 times?

Jeebus.

btw: how is the difficulty in the first one late game? Been blazing through most of it (think i'm on mission 18 or so).

Slayven

Been watching videos, who is the mech that is piloted by a girl and looks like it has dreadlocks or floppy bunny ears?

Boss Doggie

And it kinda makes sense that your dudes are 'broken'. 2nd half of most of these shows tend to have pretty OP mechas no?

Well you don't need to have an old save to play it, but you gain some incentive if you have them.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Made it to stage 15, took the "earth/super" routes. Impressions so far:

1. Difficulty on par w/ SRWz2.1, its not too hard, as long as you're not stupid with your tactics. The hard parts, at least up to where I am, are fulfilling the Skill Point objectives, which again, not too hard as long as you're not stupid (like wasting all your seishins before attempting a skill point). Make sure you know who can support attack, because it appears to be vital to at least two skill points in the early levels.

2. I havent maxed out anyone's mech's w/ my carryover bonus. I'm doing what I usually do, and just get everyone to the 3rd notch in each of the mech stats (making the mech effectively 30% upgraded). The only mech I have so far, that's above 30% is Tetsujin-28, I got him clocking in at 50% upgraded.

3. Tetsujin is a great unit. At least when getting him up to 50% upgraded, he does great damage, has a decent hit rate, a repair unit, and good armor. Also apparently, enemy AI seems to consider Tetsujin-28 what I call "bait"- in other words, most of them will go out of their way to shoot at him first if given a choice. All of Tetsujin's attacks use EN, so the first pilot skill you should equip on him is EN Save, it helps out greatly in keeping him on the front lines.

Great game so far.

To be fair Gainer is almost as girly as Loran.
Yeah, but at least Loran looks good in a dress. :p

Tsukumo

First impressions

Cons
-hit and miss percentages are all over the place. I keep getting hit with 3%, 9%: Z and Z2-1 had a similar problem but not to this extent. Feels like playing a Winkysoft SRW. Unnerving. The amount of kiri-barai and shield defense activations are extremely high though (again, much like Winky's SRWs)
-The choice of giving grunts full-blown faces is a mistake. I'm sure I'm gonna get used to it like I did with SRW L dynamic-kills-which-weren't-dynamic-kills, but why fix it if it ain't broken? Looks like you are fighting the same guy over and over! And yet he must have some mental disorder because everytime he speaks he does it with a different voice...
-loading doesn't seem as smooth as Z2-1
-some of the SR skill points are really well thought out, others are not. Protecting allies I cannot control? nor heal? nor obstruct to limit their suicidal tendecies? SOO NOT COOL!

Pros
-animations. I knew this from playing Z2-1, but still...you can't ever know nowadays
-party banter. Conversations in this game are on par with SRW W: characters are true to their original versions, and still they react to characters from different TV shows in a cohesive, believable way. The jokes are very clever and Ester characterization is exceptional.
-difficulty seems tough enough. I would have enjoyed this game much more if it wasn't for the messed up hit&miss system
-stunning voice over. Every time I skip from a western game to a japanese game I can't help but notice the gap in perfomance, tone of voice variety, and sheer number of actors
-details. I've just been through Kumen route and the number of characters from Votoms who got voice overs, specific narratives, and unique gameplays is quite remarkable. Can't wait to see how much stuff they picked from Getter Robo Armageddon.
All I ask for is a norikae-ble Getter Dragon/Ryger/Poseidon. I'm going to ditch Code Geass units and missions as soon as I can put my hands on the Getter team. Need me some Black Getter.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
First impressions
Cons
-some of the SR skill points are really well thought out, others are not. Protecting allies I cannot control? nor heal? nor obstruct to limit their suicidal tendecies? SOO NOT COOL!

The protection one, you took the Super route? That one wasnt that hard, just don't attack anything near that mech that would put the target in a "one shot kill" status. If you cant kill a target next to that mech on your turn, don't try attacking it, or she'll take the target when she moves (or the enemy target will derp and just try attacking her).

Now the bigger question for that stage: Did she blow up? Reports indicate that most people, when completing that stage, she dies/blows up. Apparently, a few people (me included), managed to just make her run away.

Now the bigger question for that stage: Did she blow up? Reports indicate that most people, when completing that stage, she dies/blows up. Apparently, a few people (me included), managed to just make her run away.

I think the secret to that involves Tetsujin.

Mandoric

Banned
The protection one, you took the Super route? That one wasnt that hard, just don't attack anything near that mech that would put the target in a "one shot kill" status. If you cant kill a target next to that mech on your turn, don't try attacking it, or she'll take the target when she moves (or the enemy target will derp and just try attacking her).

To make it work, you apparently can't enter combat with her at all until the second phase (and obviously have to use the 'suggested' unit then.)

Shouta

1. Difficulty on par w/ SRWz2.1, its not too hard, as long as you're not stupid with your tactics. The hard parts, at least up to where I am, are fulfilling the Skill Point objectives, which again, not too hard as long as you're not stupid (like wasting all your seishins before attempting a skill point). Make sure you know who can support attack, because it appears to be vital to at least two skill points in the early levels.

Early on, it's not bad. The type of enemies and the number gets pretty high later on. I think it's going to be a interesting if they have Ex-Hard though, could possibly be a nightmare.

At 27 and the story is really picking up, lots of stuff going on.

Boss Doggie

Eh, I still say I prefer Z animation over PSP (a bit too much relying on anime cutscenes, framerate's pretty slow too), but I guess I can fault it not on the game but on the system.

Voice acting... you'd be surprised how a lot of them are actually reused. :p

Enemies have been tougher now... at least certain enemy groups, like say, Vajra and the terrorist group, have great accuracy and evasion.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... I just managed to activate Chirico's uber super human solider ability two stages in a row. Since I've only managed to activate it only once in SRWZ2.1, I have officially broken my record. :p

Mandoric

Banned
Wow... I just managed to activate Chirico's uber super human solider ability two stages in a row. Since I've only managed to activate it only once in SRWZ2.1, I have officially broken my record. :p

The proper way to use Chirico is to start every map with a Macross Cannon memento mori.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The proper way to use Chirico is to start every map with a Macross Cannon memento mori.

Nah, the proper way to activate it is to rely on luck, because if a enemy is dumb enough to actually to leave Chirico with critical HP, then the enemy all deserve the ass-whooping that will soon inevitably follow. :p

Well they certainly stuck true to this being the 'Restoration Chapter'.

You get to come back from the dead! And you get to come back from the dead! And you get to come back from the dead! And you never really died at all!

Not you, though. You stay dead. So HA.

So tempted to highlight those spoilers. My copy shipped already so I'm going to have to wait a while to get it since I chose air economy shipping (think it takes 1-2 weeks :( ).

MechaX

... Assuming I have about 2/3rds of Z1 to go, and all of Z2-1, how long would it take me to get caught up here?

hteng

Banned
... Assuming I have about 2/3rds of Z1 to go, and all of Z2-1, how long would it take me to get caught up here?

pretty damn long if you want the bonuses from Z2.1

at least 2 playthroughs for Z1 since there are 2 originals.

at least 3 playthroughs for Z2-1 if you want all carry over bonuses

first playthroughs are always the longest, i took me like 50 hours to finish Z1, i think it's shorter for Z2-1.

suko_32

Wow, there's actually a money exploit in this game and you could have all the money you would ever need...but the game is easy enough anyway.

Jubern

pretty damn long if you want the bonuses from Z2.1

at least 2 playthroughs for Z1 since there are 2 originals.

at least 3 playthroughs for Z2-1 if you want all carry over bonuses

first playthroughs are always the longest, i took me like 50 hours to finish Z1, i think it's shorter for Z2-1.

Eeeeeh, I don't know about that. I only played Z1 and Z2-1 one time each and I'm doing pretty good. Yes, you miss a lot, but he just wants to catch up.

Mandoric

Banned
Up to mission 13, where you
get Setsuko and fight a boss who's impossible to kill unless you've pumped serious money into a super.
I'm really enjoying this "reset and go back to intermission" thing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Up to mission 13, where you
get Setsuko and fight a boss who's impossible to kill unless you've pumped serious money into a super.
I'm really enjoying this "reset and go back to intermission" thing.

Doesn't require that much pumping, just kill him w/ some unit getting attack support from a strong unit (I used Mazinger Z (30% weapons) supported by Baldios (50% weapons), using strongest attacks. You should also have someone w/ Morale Down, so use it on the target, and make sure you use the "All Out Attack" command that Zero has to pump up the damage a bit.

EDIT: Wait, either Mazinger Z or Godmars, and Baldios was the support. One of them had 50% weapons, the other had 30% :p

Mandoric

Banned
Doesn't require that much pumping, just kill him w/ some unit getting attack support from a strong unit (I used Mazinger Z (30% weapons) supported by Baldios (50% weapons), using strongest attacks. You should also have someone w/ Morale Down, so use it on the target, and make sure you use the "All Out Attack" command that Zero has to pump up the damage a bit.

EDIT: Wait, either Mazinger Z or Godmars, and Baldios was the support. One of them had 50% weapons, the other had 30% :p

I'm on "See Kallen off"/"Go to Japan" route. No Exhaust, and no Zero. =D
Have Mazinger at 50%, which IMO is pretty pumped for mission 13, probably could have barely done it if I had the EN left for a Photon Beam but Breast Fire is a definite nogo.

Tsukumo

The protection one, you took the Super route? That one wasnt that hard, just don't attack anything near that mech that would put the target in a "one shot kill" status.

Nope, the stage I was talking about was on Real route. There's a stage where you have a pack of friendly units (five) who have a headstart on you and basically force you to play the map with a very aggressive strategy. Since we're talking Real units (and very weak ones) you can't control, it means a lot of reloading. It took me three replays to get the skill point, not because it was prohibitive per se but because those units were set to play in a very reckless way by the AI. Since I couldn't heal them, defense support them or obstruct, there would always be one who'd slip from formation and engage the boss unit. rrrrrarggh!

It's quite useful that he's subjective to the frement (did I wrote that right?) system since all he has to do is engage the enemy by himself and after three or four battles the hit percentage is going to rise so high that micromanaging is health to activate his ability gets pretty doable.

Eh, I still say I prefer Z animation over PSP (a bit too much relying on anime cutscenes, framerate's pretty slow too), but I guess I can fault it not on the game but on the system.

Voice acting... you'd be surprised how a lot of them are actually reused. :p

Enemies have been tougher now... at least certain enemy groups, like say, Vajra and the terrorist group, have great accuracy and evasion.

I can't think of any screen other than Psp's to make look colours that vivid and intense. That screen is a godsend for 2d.
As for the re-usage, yes, it sucks. Still, the amount of new voice work trumps the old ones. Yes, you have ten games with the same Quattro quotes over and over, but you also have enemy grunts who acknowledge what type of unit they are fighting against, you have combination attacks which don't always use the same lines, and a stunning amount of variety for the most recent additions (Macross F units in Z2, for example).
... :p

They really did a great job with enemy quotes in Z2-1.

I remember the Beastmen freaking out everytime I hit them with a drill attack from any unit.

Shouta

So I'm into the mid-30s of the story and it's definitely crazy shit going on. I love how the stories are so intertwined. The real robots make up the backbone of the story on Earth with supers adding on top of it and it's pretty sweet, especially with all of the cross series stuff going on.

Crowe is definitely one of the best OG characters yet, to me. Compared to most other OG characters, he has a very different flavor definitely down to his background. I really dug his halfway point stage.

Top Bottom