• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Technomancer |OT| Get your ass to Mars!

jond76

Banned
QPndN7X.gif

WEBSITE http://www.thetechnomancer-game.com//
Developer:SPIDERS
$40 on PC, $59.99 on PS4 and XBOX ONE(10% off on pre-order)
Releases on Tuesday, June 28, 2016

What is this?

From SPIDERS, the developers of MARS: War Logs, and Bound By Flame...

The Technomancer is a sci-fi RPG set on Mars, featuring dynamic combat and an epic story line, where your choices will affect the fate of the Red Planet. You are a Technomancer, a formidable warrior harnessing destructive electrical powers.

That's all you got?

Fine...
With its terraforming aborted hundreds of years ago, and a murderous sun to boot, the Red Planet isn't exactly a hospitable place, and every nook and cranny of the forsaken planet holds deadly, lurking threats. Just like these hybrid creatures roaming the canyons of Mars, originally bioengineered by the first settlers from the genetic makeup of animals found on Earth.

But the other human survivors can be just as dangerous. Ever since Mars got isolated from Earth, multiple factions have risen, desperate and determined to secure whatever power they may get hold of. You will be able to befriend these factions depending on your actions and your choices throughout the story.

Skills and Trees!

6bgowy8.png

Hopefully, you have all the tools to survive this harsh environment. While a diplomatic or a stealthy approach can be the best choice to escape from a perilous situation, sometimes combat is the only way, and the use of your devastating Technomancer powers will be crucial.

Each of your powers can be upgraded by spending points in the skill tree, but they also all have access to two mutually exclusive upgrades, changing the way the power behaves. These upgrades, coupled with your handpicked special talents and choice of equipment and crafting components, will heavily influence your combat strategy, and overall playstyle.

Your technomancy powers compliment your chosen combat stance: fight with the Staff, the signature of a Technomancer; with a blade and gun, the mark of a rogue; or a mace and shield, the weapons favoured by soldiers. Just like with technomancy, each of these three stances has its own skill tree, where you can gain new skills, but also improve them through different upgrade paths.

Companions

You can impress them and make their bond to you stronger (potential romances), or do stuff they disagree with to the point that they will leave the group.

RG8w6D5.png

Gear them up, they can wear what you wear

ihV00KK.png

Upgrading your arsenal is equally important. You will find, loot and buy better weapons and armor. Each has its own bonuses, and some also have crafting slots, allowing you to further improve their stats according to your preferences and playstyle.

You’ll be able to improve damage, resistance, as well as add various special effects such as disruption, resistance to specific damage types, energy regeneration, and more. Improving your crafting talent and learning new construction plans will let you craft more powerful gear.

Combat

Combat in the Technomancer is in 3rd person and revolves around 3 primary combat stances which players can swap in and out of at will. The 3 styles feature their own unique set of Skills and are as follows:
•The Warrior stance makes use of the Warrior Skills and is based on mobility and damage using sweeping and effective blows against groups comprising several enemies.
•The Rogue Stance makes use of the Rogue Skills and requires agility, dodging and controlling the pace of combat with the nail-gun.
•The Guardian Stance makes use of the Guardian Skills and focuses on defence, blocking and parrying to inflict heavy damage in response to an attack.

rlvBWXJ.png

Bonus pics of crazy hybrid-mutants

Sb3VNsJ.jpg

rKrAegB.png

gPIuD57.png

VIDEOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ9_vU9f8g0 Survive on Mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4otfreMjcw Companaions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMVPgCryJ8 Gameplay

You son of BITCH!

jLKJc9B.png

Sorry for the shoddy quality pics, I captured them from youtube vids quick and dirty.

The last time I had the urge to make an OT, it was Dying Light. My OT sucked, but the game turned out amazing! Can I go 2 for 2?!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A pre-load on the PC seems increasingly unlikely (37 hours to go until unlock o'clock). The HDD space requirement is only 11GB, though, so the download will probably be somewhere around 7/8GB, which, fortunately, isn't all that much, even for an average ADSL connection.

Pre-ordering the PC version digitally gets you the OST, if anyone is interested.

It's a game that might be anywhere from low 50s to high 70s. I don't see it getting a high 70 with the gameplay that is getting posted on youtube. Seems like it'll be a solid B-movie of a game. Maybe it'll surprise me.

I wouldn't recommend anyone pre-ordering it unless the game's embargo released tomorrow. But it releases day of release. 6 bucks off isn't worth potentially buying a stinker, so wait for reviews for now.

Roldan

I'm almost beating the game, got a review copy.

It is a little rough around the edges (read janky) and frustrating sometimes, but it's enjoyable. Not worth the full price, though, IMO.

It is a little rough around the edges (read janky) and a frustrating sometimes, but it's enjoyable.

Are you able to share your thoughts or are you held by embargo?

Like for example, did they remove daggers and replace it with sword+gun? How's the companion mechanics? Does the combat get tiresome? How's dodging/hit boxes?

KyleSmash

Banned

It is a little rough around the edges (read janky) and frustrating sometimes, but it's enjoyable. Not worth the full price, though, IMO.

When is the embargo up on this. I'm really curious to hear the response.

Tyrus

Banned
Yeah been playing this (review copy) for a while now. Will post link to my review here later when embargo is up. Can't say much yet, obviously. But safe to say if you enjoyed Mars: War Logs you'll probably like The Techomancer.

Stiler

Looking forward to this, hope the story and characters are well, I can forgive some janky animations and things if the narrative and/or characters stories are well done.

Yeah been playing this (review copy) for a while now. Will post link to my review here later when embargo is up. Can't say much yet, obviously. But safe to say if you enjoyed Mars: War Logs you'll probably like The Techomancer.

doesn't exactly inspire confidence when it has like a sub-60 metacritic score lol. We'll find out Tuesday I guess.

What's the justification for the console tax?

Something something console maker cut and brick and mortar stores being pissy about digital possibly costing less.

Roldan

Like for example, did they remove daggers and replace it with sword+gun? How's the companion mechanics? Does the combat get tiresome? How's dodging/hit boxes?

Hmm, there are three kinds of weapons: mace+shield, staff and knife+gun, and you can switch between them freely during the combat. I didn't find that to be very useful, though, since I'm focusing more on only one of the weapons skilltree. But eh, more options, I guess.

The companions are... okay in terms of AI, but they're more helpful acting as a diversion, so you dont lure all the enemies into you. You can give them orders (focus on healing/attack/defense), but I didn't bother much with that. Also, you can develop your relationship with them, boosting the buffs they give you.

Serviceable combat. I wouldn't call it tiresome (even though the knife has two or three attack animations), but it is not as rewarding as I'd like to. The dodging works for the most part, it's just a little difficult to read your enemies movements - sometimes they will dodge your attacks even when cornered, which is a little weird and frustrating.

I know it sounds like I'm just bashing the game, but I'm having a little fun, besides all the jankiness.

When is the embargo up on this. I'm really curious to hear the response.

I have no problems in sharing impressions, just the review embargo that'll be up only on the release day. :)

Oh that's a relief.

I honestly bought Mars: War Logs just because I really appreciated how they re-translated and re-recorded all the game's previously sub-par lines. In the end, I was adequately entertained by it and would be fine with another game of similar quality (while the quality getting down would just be depressing).

The devs have been around in the gaming industry for several years already, so I expect they've learned their mistakes from their previous games with Technomancer. I'll keep my expectation low, but I hope the game will somehow surprise me. Please be good.

eloxx

I got the game early and have been enjoying it so far. The combat is good and fluid. Locking on is kind of a bad choice, I always get hit.

Also I found the first hour quite challenging. There is a bit of a learning curve involved.

It's unlocked here and played a bit. Love the music and atmosphere, but haven't played much, gotta work tomorrow and it's 12:30am already. :/

The staff and rogue combat both feel fun, not sure which to focus on yet.

Don't understand why you can't play as a female despite the presence of a character creator.
I saw an interview with the CEO. It was due to budget for the voice acting to redo all the lines with another actress. Spiders wanted to but they're a small studio with limited resources.

I'm picking it up, because I like these types of RPGs even if they're not perfect, and hope to start it sometime this week. Hopefully it won't take too long to download.

Bound by Flame was pretty decent.

Is it super hard?

SpotAnime

The devs have been around in the gaming industry for several years already, so I expect they've learned their mistakes from their previous games with Technomancer. I'll keep my expectation low, but I hope the game will somehow surprise me. Please be good.

Everything for this points to it being among their better games, but I'm still waiting for reviews. Like others said star ocean comes out. If it has good reviews and it's an 8-10 hour rpg that'll be weird unless they're a like zero sidequests.

Looks pretty cool but I dunno how I'd feel dropping $60 on a supposed 10 hour RPG.

Edit: Nvm gameplay vid says it offers up to forty hours of quests.

ryushe

Huh... Haven't heard about this game until just now. Looks really interesting.

Definitely on the lookout for this one.

Truant

Bought it on Steam. Looks decent enough, and it was 15% off. I can always get a refund if the reviews are trash.

Top Bottom