• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Technomancer |OT| Get your ass to Mars!

Ricker

gonna start on extreme difficulty straight away i am gonna regret this

I am starting to read the game is quite difficult,even on normal at the start and if the last Boss is anything like Bound By Flame,good luck with that lol...

If its really 40 hours,I will probably pick this up tomorrow along with Star Ocean.

Orca

I expected to go dagger like I normally do in RPG but switched to staff quickly - AOE attacks were a huge benefit early on. Had to train myself to not button mash in combat, it's a more tactical system than I thought it would be.

I am starting to read the game is quite difficult,even on normal at the start and if the last Boss is anything like Bound By Flame,good luck with that lol...

If its really 40 hours,I will probably pick this up tomorrow along with Star Ocean.

I think I eventually dropped BBF down to easy, because it was quite difficult.

gossi

Note the price is down by a third on the Xbox One digital store now. If you paid full price seek a refund.

Robso

I expected to go dagger like I normally do in RPG but switched to staff quickly - AOE attacks were a huge benefit early on. Had to train myself to not button mash in combat, it's a more tactical system than I thought it would be.

So far, would you recommend the game?

GavinUK86

I'm oddly excited for this.

Mars War Logs was a bit crap.

Bound by Flame was less crap, but the team showed improvement.

So I think this could be the one.

Alienfan

Looking at the game clips on the Xbox One, I think this game might be 60fps - framerate looks really, really solid.

Robso

Looking at the game clips on the Xbox One, I think this game might be 60fps - framerate looks really, really solid.

I've not seen any clips but the devs said it'd be 1080p/30FPS on both in 2015.*

* Not relevant to framerate, but the One version got reduced to 900p if anybody is considering which version to pick.

Expect to do this again. Also someone was wondering if 10 hours was base game. Not sure, doing lots of sideas quests will def net you longer the 10 though.

I will. I don't get ashamed when I do it for games that are made difficult like this. I play a lot of games on hard.

I thought I read it was 25-40 hours?

I will. I don't get ashamed when I do it for games that are made difficult like this. I play a lot of games on hard.

I thought I read it was 25-40 hours?

Possible could be 20. Honestly I stopped playing after I hit 16 hours. I won't get into why on here just yet, but I was a decent ways in, so totally see 20+ being true if doing everything if not more.

Karak

My Review
Rated it a Buy (FYI Youtube may still be processing this video. It has been for 3 hours. Sometimes I hate YT)
Ask questions if you have them as the game does have issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYOCOXQ-3g

Pros
Worldview
All spoken dialogue and some of it well done
Lots of cribbing from Kotor
Skill system just unique enough to be interesting
Good overall gameplay
Party characters and choices WOW

Cons
Music about 50/50
Main character isn't the best voice actor but also doesn't talk
Some bugs
Combat is...better than past games but not great

My Review
Rated it a Buy (FYI Youtube may still be processing this)
Ask questions if you have them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYOCOXQ-3g

Pros
Worldview
All spoken dialogue and some of it well done
Lots of cribbing from Kotor
Skill system just unique enough to be interesting
Good overall gameplay
Party characters and choices WOW

Cons
Music about 50/50
Main character isn't the best voice actor but also doesn't talk
Some bugs
Combat is...better than past games but not great

Sounds pretty great to me!

One question, how long is it?

Karak

Sounds pretty great to me!

One question, how long is it?

25+ easily.
But that depends on about 1000 different aspects to how you play. Its all vocals so if you listen its a long damn time. If you skip through what people say I am sure you could shorten that.

Karak

Shoot double post damn .
The thing I do have to point out as some may discuss it and some may not.

The game does have some issues PS4 isn't great at all while PC was good performance wise. Hardest game I have had to review yet in all honesty.
But what is odd is the constant absolutely sometimes almost transparent KOTOR cribbing not only in some of the systems like the dialogue and so forth but daammmmn even in the way the game presents its first area, the mutants, the fight club in the bar, even some of the characters.

Stiler

Was just about to come here to post the acg review but I see he beat me to it :p.

Definitely sounds like what I was hoping for out of the game, wasn't expecting a AAA rpg and can handle some jankyness and the overall pros seem to outweight the cons of it.

Karak

Was just about to come here to post the acg review but I see he beat me to it :p.

Definitely sounds like what I was hoping for out of the game, wasn't expecting a AAA rpg and can handle some jankyness and the overall pros seem to outweight the cons of it.

LOL.
Ya that's how it looks like a couple of us youtubers felt. As another gaffer said its odd as many of us liked it but a couple of the big online mags hated it. i guess I should get ready for the fanboys attacks this week lol

idonteven

extreme is hard as fuck... 2 hits and you are dead think i am at like 100 deaths already

feels like dark souls times 10 sometimes

Karak

extreme is hard as fuck... 2 hits and you are dead think i am at like 100 deaths already

feels like dark souls times 10 sometimes

Ya you have to find a sweet spot but its adjustable at all times. and honestly you can easily get through a battle without getting hit later on once you understand the fighting systems and level up

idonteven

Ya you have to find a sweet spot but its adjustable at all times. and honestly you can easily get through a battle without getting hit later on once you understand the fighting systems and level up

did you complete it on extreme ? been on the same mission for a good 4 hours now

and whats with the "?" on the map ? i get there and i see nothing

Tyrus

Banned
My review: http://www.impulsegamer.com/the-technomancer-ps4-review/

I have a weird fondness for The Technomancer. Objectively it's unpolished and generic in many areas and throughout my review schedule I lost motivation to push through multiple times, but something always brought me back in – a new companion, an instance of reactivity from the game from my actions (companions and NPCs are really chatty about your actions), some cool new armour, just little things which made me think, hey, you know, it's pretty impressive to get this from a team as small as Spiders. It sort of gave a mid-2000s BioWare RPG vibe at times, though still a little less polished than even that.

Overall, it's much better than Bound by Flame and about on par with Mars: War Logs. I actually think the latter probably still does some things better then The Technomancer (though it does have the benefit of having had its entire voice-work and script re-done post launch in that update), but it's been a long time since I played it.

The Techomancer is still that budget-conscious RPG experience the developers are known for producing. Not for everyone, so don't rush into it if you're on the fence and maybe wait for a sale. You need serious patience to appreciate what is there and well done (the factions and city histories).

Liamc723

did you complete it on extreme ? been on the same mission for a good 4 hours now

and whats with the "?" on the map ? i get there and i see nothing

You need to search around that area to complete the objective. For example talking to a specific person there.

Corpekata

Banned
Have a PSN copy I'm looking to trade for a PC/Steam copy if any PS4 owners wants to save a few bucks (game is cheaper on PC).

foxdvd

I had one concern about the combat from the IGN review...and for those that have played it ...

IGN says no matter how good you are combat never reaches a flow where you get better...that battles seem more luck and random. I love difficult games...but only when with practice and skill I can feel like a bad ass. Witcher 1 on hard was amazing because once you put the time into it you destroyed people, but one mistake could still mess you up. Anyone who has played the game, do you really never reach a point where combat feels natural, or by the end are you still randomly getting killed and finding combat difficult in an unfair way?

Liamc723

Are there guy on guy romance options available?

Yes there is.

I had one concern about the combat from the IGN review...and for those that have played it ...

IGN says no matter how good you are combat never reaches a flow where you get better...that battles seem more luck and random. I love difficult games...but only when with practice and skill I can feel like a bad ass. Witcher 1 on hard was amazing because once you put the time into it you destroyed people, but one mistake could still mess you up. Anyone who has played the game, do you really never reach a point where combat feels natural, or by the end are you still randomly getting killed and finding combat difficult in an unfair way?

I played as the Rogue stance for the majority of the game, and even when I had the entire skill tree maxed out for that stance, regular enemies are still far too tough.

Alienfan

Playing this game on easy, and having a blast so far. Plays better than dragon age, even if it isn't as polished as a Bioware game in other areas. Digging the music as well.

Also for console players, framerate is surprisingly consistent.

Are there guy on guy romance options available?

Achievements seem to indicate there's two female romance options and one male.

Top Bottom