• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Technomancer |OT| Get your ass to Mars!

I'm really enjoying this title. The combat is very satisfying, I like the visuals, and the overall vibe is very cool. I'm glad I said 'fuck you' to the professional reviews.

Saying "fuck you" to reviewers is silly. Instead try to understand where we are coming from and see why we had the issues we did. We're all different, with different tastes. Game has lot of potential but it clearly isn't top tier or should the issues just be ignored? The backtracking to the various cities was borderline ridiculous. It's an above average to average experience and to some just not worth it at all. Even people that really enjoyed it would rate it a 7, which is solid enough. Its a nice filler game for those wanting something till the next big scifi rpg. We don't get many of these but at the same time Technomancer is hardly a game that will stand out memorable for most, even those that enjoyed it most likely.

*edit*

That said, I look forward to a further realised sequel that takes the core ideas here and adds more variation, fast travel, and perhaps a bigger scope.

Really getting annoyed with the constant enemies every time you need to get to Ophir. The last mission I got might've been the straw that broke the camel's back. Got a mission to go to Ophir, ok head there and speak to the npc. Come back in 12 hours I'll have the info you need, so I need to fight enemies all over again-_-

Harlequin

Really getting annoyed with the constant enemies every time you need to get to Ophir. The last mission I got might've been the straw that broke the camel's back. Got a mission to go to Ophir, ok head there and speak to the npc. Come back in 12 hours I'll have the info you need, so I need to fight enemies all over again-_-

Why don't you just let your character stand around for 12 minutes while you go, do something else? That's what I did at the point I think you're referring to.

Finally beat it.

One of my last final missions was fucking "HEY BRO GO BACK TO OPHIR" and I just said fuck it, ignored.

The game relied too much on taking you back there for any number of bullshit reasons because it was the city they spent the most time in. With no fast travel system this became a chore. A big chore.

Battles could get annoyingly hard at points if people circled and trapped you and you couldn't dodge away. More often than not I won but nothing like an enemy starting an animation and no form of attack of yours can cut it so they suckerpunch you and boom you're dead.

Having given the negatives though, I loved my time with the game. It isn't perfect by any means, but I'd give it a solid 7/10. 20-30 hours of gameplay was more than enough.
I finished up this morning and I agree word for word. I think I even to hell with this with same mission your probably referring to. Scum's second mission?

Finished the game in around 20 hours with most of the side-quests completed on hard difficulty.

Totally agree with everyone complaining about the backtracking to Ophir and the respawning mobs. All this padding significantly detracted from my enjoyment.

Nevertheless it's still a good game with an interesting setting and an enjoyable storyline. I'd give it 6 or 7 out of 10. Devs should really do something about the respawning enemies at least, can't believe they passed it like this.

Anyone having problems with your character all of a sudden start walking while you are running, and then start running again (ps4)? It's bugging the shit out of me...

Harlequin

Anyone having problems with your character all of a sudden start walking while you are running, and then start running again (ps4)? It's bugging the shit out of me...

I've only noticed that after I climb up a ledge. He will usually just walk for 2 seconds or so before being able to run again. Can be slightly annoying when you've climbed into a combat encounter but not a huge problem. Have never had it happen randomly in the middle of running, though. (Then again, I am on PC so perhaps it's a problem specific to the PS4 version?)

foxdvd

with the moderately positive reviews this is getting..I plan on getting this the moment it drops under 40 for the ps4..Negatives aside, I just love science fiction games...

Robso

How difficult is the game on normal (or whatever the name given to the medium difficulty is)? Can you change the difficulty as you go along?

jackft

Neo Member

For the moment, I like the flow of quests in Ophir, appearing each time I speak to a NPC.. and connection between quests. It renders Ophirs alive !

foxdvd

I am about 16 hours into this....The game is easily worth a purchase. I really liked Mars War Logs, and thought Bound by Flame was actually better than the reviews. The writing and voice acting both are better than Bound...and the combat and controls feel nice. People complaining about the combat puzzle me because I am finding it very easy on the higher difficulty.. (prb because I played Mars and Bound right before)..

It does have problems..and the main thing is all the backtracking. This was a problem in Bound By Flame as well. If you are going to have so many fetch type quest, do yourself a favor and have them completely take place on the same map...and have it so when you finish, unless the story requires it, turn it in on the spot. I don't mind all the combat...or the travel time. I just don't want to have to deal with the load screen 3 times to do one simple side mission.

At this point I would give the game a solid 8 for fun though. Still have a bit to go though...

I am about 16 hours into this....The game is easily worth a purchase. I really liked Mars War Logs, and thought Bound by Flame was actually better than the reviews. The writing and voice acting both are better than Bound...and the combat and controls feel nice. People complaining about the combat puzzle me because I am finding it very easy on the higher difficulty.. (prb because I played Mars and Bound right before)..

It does have problems..and the main thing is all the backtracking. This was a problem in Bound By Flame as well. If you are going to have so many fetch type quest, do yourself a favor and have them completely take place on the same map...and have it so when you finish, unless the story requires it, turn it in on the spot. I don't mind all the combat...or the travel time. I just don't want to have to deal with the load screen 3 times to do one simple side mission.

At this point I would give the game a solid 8 for fun though. Still have a bit to go though...

I've been watching this game at a distance. Thanks for your impressions. Might have to pick this up soon.

I ran to a quest lockup bug, but otherwise I'll echo the same sentiment as foxvd. Worth a purchase, but not without its quirks, backtracking is a pain though in chapter 2. Would rather have it lessened.

foxdvd

Finished this up and got my platinum on it. The game falls apart at the end. It overstays its welcome, something Bound By Flame did not. You load, fight, load, fight, load, fight...it just gets old. The core game is still amazing, but they seriously need to work on their spawn rate of enemies, and how to pace out combat...

I did enjoy my time though. I would probably give it a 7.

Finished this up and got my platinum on it. The game falls apart at the end. It overstays its welcome, something Bound By Flame did not. You load, fight, load, fight, load, fight...it just gets old. The core game is still amazing, but they seriously need to work on their spawn rate of enemies, and how to pace out combat...

I did enjoy my time though. I would probably give it a 7.
I feel that problem is caused more by the constant backtracking fighting the same groups over and over. If it had more locations to explore while fighting it wouldn't be so bad in my opinion.

juventino

Banned
So now that Technomancer is $30 in the PS store I'm thinking of picking it up. Anyone been playing it recently that can give me some idea of what, if any, the patches have fixed? Is it worth picking up for that price? Have their been significant improvements to anything since release?

Justified

So now that Technomancer is $30 in the PS store I'm thinking of picking it up. Anyone been playing it recently that can give me some idea of what, if any, the patches have fixed? Is it worth picking up for that price? Have their been significant improvements to anything since release?

Came here to ask the same thing.

Is $30 a good price to jump in or do I wait for the next sale?

Did they add a new game plus or respec yet? Part of me wants to go for platinum but no way in hell am I playing through 2 complete times to get enough skulls points for each combat tree.

But I can imagine they dropped support of the game asap, at least on console

Ricker

Did they add a new game plus or respec yet? Part of me wants to go for platinum but no way in hell am I playing through 2 complete times to get enough skulls points for each combat tree.

But I can imagine they dropped support of the game asap, at least on console

It would probably take them more time to fix this game then it took them to make it lol...

But seriously,is this game broken difficulty wise at first or what...first the ennemies resetting for almost no reason after you are fighting them for like 5 minute is annoying as hell...also this game is hard as fuck,even on normal or maybe I shouldnt be in the Slums so soon...getting ganked by 3 or 4 ennemies seems a bit much,especially if theres one with a gun in the group...I have one companion,guess I should have 2...I usually enjoy Spiders janky,''A'' games like War Logs and Bound by Flame but this is ridiculous so far...

After restarting a previous save and saving carefully I am enjoying the game again but man it's a lot of work at times lol...

Unity2012

Reviving this thread only because GAF brought up a lot of the good on this game--when it first came out; against some harsh reviews, allowing more people to get the game and enjoy it for what it was.

The game is $10 on Xbox Live; definitely worth the buy. I'm always good for supporting smaller developers.
I just got the digital version. I'm looking forward to see how will the gameplay benefit for playing on the X.

Top Bottom