• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Technomancer |OT| Get your ass to Mars!

To witch game is the combat most comparable as a feel? Arkham, Witcher 3 or something else?

Witcher 3 by far. The combat is based around the rolling/evade.

Side note: beat the game. Was a bummer to learn I couldn't have enough skill points to max 2 trees even though I got to lvl 38 and they even stopped giving you points for the other 2 trees. That means you basically need 4 playthroughfors, one for each skill tree trophy unless there is a respec option I somehow missed in all the backtracking the game makes you do for sidequests.

As I suspected, very cool game. There is some jank here and there in some of the animations and voice acting, but underneath that there is a solid, kind of an old school Star Wars crossed with cyberpunk on Mars vibe in a game that looks good enough, has fun combat for all 3 disciplines, great leveling paths and a deep dialogue system. This is better than you might think.
Agreed. It's certainly low budget but I think the reviews are overly harsh. Glad you're enjoying it. I actually like the voice acting but I guess that is because I am comparing it with Bound by Flame, Spiders last game, which had abysmal voice acting, it was just horrific.

Moff

just bought this because the steam reviews are positive and because it's only 35 bucks here (new games are between 60 and 75 on steam usually). Will post impressions later, I am usually up for some eurojank.

Moff

Gloves I have found are what affects your powers abilities. Not just the electric fist ability but all powers are affected by your gloves and the stats that go with them.

yeah I'm pretty sure gloves are simply your "wand" for spells

KdylanR92

20 hours in and this game has surprised me more than any game this year, mainly because I thought it was going to suck having been burned in the past by Bound by Flame.

Someone put a noticeable effort into the quest in this game. Most side quest tie into the main story so it doesn't really feel like you're just going down a checklist and they're also pretty varied.

I watched it and man, he didn't use disruptions at all and complaining about the enemies not having icons that flash like the Batman games. The enemies have clear animations that tell you "I'm about to hit your face" so you can dodge, block, or disrupt if you're quick.

Plus complaining about how weak you feel...it's an rpg, that's kind of what rpgs do. You start off with a low lv character that feels "weak" and over the course of the game as you gain xp and level up you make your character stronger and stronger.

Heck you can level up and build your character to the point you are constantly stun-locking enemies, knocking them down, AOE'ing the heck out of them and everything.

I agree with him on some points, the drain serum hotkey on pc, terrible design choice (should always remain tihei same key and NOT switch to the "search" key). Upgrading always feels more worthwhile in games where it gives you something new rather then simply +2dmg+3crit and things like that.
To be fair if it wasn't that I was using rogue I wouldn't use disruption that often. But shooting people and dodging into them for an attack is fun as fuck.

Haven't been able to play it since Friday but hopefully when I get back from 4th of July weekend I'll continue.

About to start, any tips?

Yes

- don't go to slums without first doing the start of the main mission past the prologue. You get two party members. If you go to slums without them prepare to die constantly.

- disruption and dodging/blocking are key.

- I'd recommend on focusing on one of the 4 main trees plus an extra one later on. Id say one of the three weapons and technomancer tree.

Speaking of Party members for those further away what's the point of rifle drops if (post first main city spoilers)
the only party member who uses rifles betrays you and possibly dies
? Seriously don't read that unless you've left the first main city.

Yes

- don't go to slums without first doing the start of the main mission past the prologue. You get two party members. If you go to slums without them prepare to die constantly.

- disruption and dodging/blocking are key.

- I'd recommend on focusing on one of the 4 main trees plus an extra one later on. Id say one of the three weapons and technomancer tree.

Speaking of Party members for those further away what's the point of rifle drops if (post first main city spoilers)
the only party member who uses rifles betrays you and possibly dies
? Seriously don't read that unless you've left the first main city.
Thanks Admiral.

Holy hell, the main va bad o_O

Thanks Admiral.

Holy hell, the main va bad o_O
Yeah the voice acting is bad. It's hilariously bad at points even. That and the music at points (the theme of the cops is just a dun dun dun dun dun over and over again lol) are the biggest weakness.

The game itself though? Fairly solid. Combat can be fun at points, especially once you've put a decent amount of points into a tree. The decisions are like fairly tough. It's not Bioware do bad choice/good choice. It's like "do you stop this faction that actually isn't all that bar? And if you do, do you kill the leader as mercy over torture?". I'm enjoying that aspect. Haven't really consequences to my choices though, but I only just left the main area.

lunchtoast

Played this at a friends house for maybe an hour, beat the first boss
giant bug
. It was tense, after the final strike I was tapping B to roll away but ended up accidental skipping the cutscene. I chose rogue only as I preferred the hit and dodge technique and shooting for disrupt. Interested in this game. I was also interested in their last mars game after playing the demo but never got around to getting it. I might choose this game over getting no man's sky. Liked the combat, and liked the setting. Reminded me playing of a setting you'd find for a 90s scifi RPG.

-how does it run on console?

Yeah the voice acting is bad. It's hilariously bad at points even. That and the music at points (the theme of the cops is just a dun dun dun dun dun over and over again lol) are the biggest weakness.

The game itself though? Fairly solid. Combat can be fun at points, especially once you've put a decent amount of points into a tree. The decisions are like fairly tough. It's not Bioware do bad choice/good choice. It's like "do you stop this faction that actually isn't all that bar? And if you do, do you kill the leader as mercy over torture?". I'm enjoying that aspect. Haven't really consequences to my choices though, but I only just left the main area.
Oh most definitely, I'm enjoying myself so far actually. Like many have said the best comaprison is Alpha Protocol as they just have jank feel but underneath it is a damn good game.

I've just been doing side quests so far but I'm hoping the main story will be decent.

Oh most definitely, I'm enjoying myself so far actually. Like many have said the best comaprison is Alpha Protocol as they just have jank feel but underneath it is a damn good game.

I've just been doing side quests so far but I'm hoping the main story will be decent.

I can def appreciate the likeness of it to Alpha Protocol. My biggest pet peeve is still all the damn backtracking and that never really ends. Game should have just made missions complete or take you back automatically as it does very few moments. It's a huge waste of players time and with no fast travel, just blows.

thequestion

Ended up picking up this game at full price mostly due to the feedback I've been reading, here, on gaf. Glad I did. It's a good game. As I progress, I keep asking myself if this is the same game that ign reviewed....that review, in my opinion, is way off... The game, to me, looks and plays like a really solid PS3 game running on a ps4. It's more fun than Dragon age inquisition....by a big margin. If you enjoyed KOTOR, and don't mind a more action/reflex type battle system, then definetly pick this game up.

Gosh dammit GAF, I think I'm going in...if only to offset my bad luck this time around. All the hype surrounding UC4 and I personally consider it a pretty average to sub par experience considering what I was expecting. Now the majority are blasting this game, but something about it just speaks to me. Let's see how this goes...

Gosh dammit GAF, I think I'm going in...if only to offset my bad luck this time around. All the hype surrounding UC4 and I personally consider it a pretty average to sub par experience considering what I was expecting. Now the majority are blasting this game, but something about it just speaks to me. Let's see how this goes...
You just have to be able to ignore bad voice acting and some jank and it's a fairly great game.

Alpha protocol really is the best example.

Forgot to say I beat it the other day. About 35 hours.

+ Great game, love the atmosphere, world and overall plot. Quite like a lot of the companions, would have liked more personal quests. I love how they tie in with the world. Combat is pretty solid.

- On the negatives I feel chapter one is mishandled, there is a ton of backtracking and no fast travel, a lack of areas to explore and facial expressions need work.

Solid 7.5-8/10

Edit: I'm also a big fan of Alpha Protocol which is no coincidence I'm sure.

idonteven

Forgot to say I beat it the other day. About 35 hours.

+ Great game, love the atmosphere, world and overall plot. Quite like a lot of the companions, would have liked more personal quests. I love how they tie in with the world. Combat is pretty solid.

- On the negatives I feel chapter one is mishandled, there is a ton of backtracking and no fast travel, a lack of areas to explore and facial expressions need work.

Solid 7.5-8/10

Edit: I'm also a big fan of Alpha Protocol which is no coincidence I'm sure.

i so know what part you are talking about with the backtracking chapter

aravuus

I was already pretty interested in the game, but I didn't expect such positive impressions. Definitely getting the game soon.

Corpekata

Banned
The starting town really starting to grate on me. Huge, but like next to nothing to do in it beyond talk to the few quest givers that are spread way the fuck out. And it goes on for what seems like forever. Can't wait to GTFO whenever that is.

Moff

I was already pretty interested in the game, but I didn't expect such positive impressions. Definitely getting the game soon.

I think you should keep your expectations low, then you might happen to enjoy it
it's definitely not top tier eurojank. I think the games biggest problem are the very boring and uninspired environments. I mean this is a cyberpunk mars setting but they are not doing a lot with it, it looks like a generic miner setting.
that said, I am still in the first hub so I hope to see better stuff later.

I also think this is nowhere near alpha protocol. even the worst part of alpha protocol (the actual mission gamepay) is better than in Technomancer and there are nowhere as many fun dialogue options. dialogue in technomancer is mostly working down a list of options, not actual decisions.

I also generally don't get many alpha protocol vibes from this, I'd say the best way to describe technomancer is that it's limited eurojank mass effect

but keep in mind, that's my impression from the first 3 hours or so, I don't hate it but still hope it gets better later on.

Man, I'm really trying to like this game but the combat is just putting a huge dampener on things for me. I mean, I like everything else but I don't know if I have it in me to sludge through the 25-30 hours in my current mindset even knowing I could put it down to easy from normal difficulty.

Damn, what a bummer. Who else is in the same boat?

idonteven

Man, I'm really trying to like this game but the combat is just putting a huge dampener on things for me. I mean, I like everything else but I don't know if I have it in me to sludge through the 25-30 hours in my current mindset even knowing I could put it down to easy from normal difficulty.

had a lot of problems on extreme but i got used to it after a while

bati

I'm playing on extreme with a rogue and I'm actually really enjoying the combat. Even ~15h into the game (chapter 2) it's not easy. Maybe it would've been had I put any points into Constitution (or whatever the health tree is called) but why would I when this is one of those preciously rare action games that allows animation cancelling? I LOVE that I can initiate an attack and then go whoops my bad mate and dodge at the last possible moment before getting hit - and get rewarded with a free critical afterwards! The only gripe I have with the combat is the lock on system, trying to switch targets in the middle of a fight just doesn't seem to work half the time so I've pretty much stopped using it unless I'm fighting 1v1.

What's your primary combat style? Also do you use disruption attacks often?

If you aren't playing as rogue, may I suggest it? Dodging for rogues is the furthest and fastest, so you can do it real fast. Guns also let you spam the attack and do decent damage. A good strategy is to spam the guy attack at enemies at first, then dodge around and attack enemies distracted with others.

If you aren't playing as rogue, may I suggest it? Dodging for rogues is the furthest and fastest, so you can do it real fast. Guns also let you spam the attack and do decent damage. A good strategy is to spam the guy attack at enemies at first, then dodge around and attack enemies distracted with others.
I personally find the staff the best style. It has a good dodge, decent attack power, can hit multiple enemies and it's skill tree for knock downs and area attacks (tornado is awesome when you get it off right) can be devastating.

I also enjoyed both the Rogue and Guardian I should add. They are all decent in their own ways though Guardians block doesn't make up for the poor dodge imo.

Alfrays

Neo Member
its sad that we can't do any speculations about the sequel, if there will be one. The world they built is full of potentiality, it needs a greater story, like mass effect. Now that i think to it, there is someone important still alive out there

The starting town really starting to grate on me. Huge, but like next to nothing to do in it beyond talk to the few quest givers that are spread way the fuck out. And it goes on for what seems like forever. Can't wait to GTFO whenever that is.

If this bothers you, it gets a little better... but not much and the further chapters have you revisiting these previous chapters cities a decent ammount.

nOoblet16

20 hours in and this game has surprised me more than any game this year, mainly because I thought it was going to suck having been burned in the past by Bound by Flame.

Someone put a noticeable effort into the quest in this game. Most side quest tie into the main story so it doesn't really feel like you're just going down a checklist and they're also pretty varied.

Now this is new, everything I've read or heard about the game so far says that the quests are fillers and the world is lifeless...which is why I've been holding off from getting this game.

Alfrays

Neo Member
Now this is new, everything I've read or heard about the game so far says that the quests are fillers and the world is lifeless...which is why I've been holding off from getting this game.

that's not true, the side quests influences the ending and your alliance with the factions. For example, i went against the chef of the thief and when i had to ask him a favor he sent me away, almost attacking me.

There is some unique moments but ultimately the ending moments is filled with screens that describe the results of your action ala Fallout 3. I nver felt personally invested in the side quests or characters and felt like an errand boy the majority of my time. The final boss and ending choice was the best moments of the game for me after finally finishing it. Also anyone looking for ending achivments. Save the game before the final battle. Beat it, reloaf, switch difficulty, beat it again. It counts whatever level you have it set to.

There is some unique moments but ultimately the ending moments is filled with screens that describe the results of your action ala Fallout 3. I nver felt personally invested in the side quests or characters and felt like an errand boy the majority of my time. The final boss and ending choice was the best moments of the game for me after finally finishing it. Also anyone looking for ending achivments. Save the game before the final battle. Beat it, reloaf, switch difficulty, beat it again. It counts whatever level you have it set to.
Lmao nice thanks for the heads up.

My primary combat style is with the staff and I was using the interrupts here and there. I'll take your advice on board and give the rogue style a go to see if that suits my play style more. Thanks.

Moff

I am now 7 hours in and I have reached the point where I really like it

the beginning was very dull, combat felt weak, the quests, characters and story not really interesting and the setting is just not really pretty or exciting.
towards the end of chapter 1, when you leave the first hub for your first mission, things change up a bit. I found some not completely dull characters and the story starts getting more interesting. and after getting electrical storm I am pretty much a god in combat now. but even the standard zapping and staff fighting is more fun after gaining a few levels.

I am excited to see where this goes next, I hope it can keep up this pace.

Can I change my character's appearance later on? I'm not too keen on how he looks but dont want to get over the tutorial parts again.

My primary combat style is with the staff and I was using the interrupts here and there. I'll take your advice on board and give the rogue style a go to see if that suits my play style more. Thanks.

staff requires you to get up close and personal. With rogue you can dodge much faster/relatively smoother and further.

bati

The more I play this game the more I like it. I'm now nearing the end of chapter two and I'm really curious to see how the story will unfold from here. Writing in general has been pretty good so far, I was expecting to see some well trodden tropes and cliches but just like with Mars: War Logs there's more to these characters than meets the eye.

It's funny in a way, some parts of the game are so janky and dated (level design is on par with KOTOR for example) but then there areas where the game easily measures up against some of the western AAA rpgs.

Mars: War Logs is now BC on Xbox One and is on sale for $2.50. I'm playing through now, and am enjoying so far. I think once I beat it, I'll likely jump on the Technomancer

level1

Ok, here's why I hated BBF -

- Terrible dialogue system and undercooked "I'm becoming a demon" mechanic
- Combat was really tough but didn't feel fair. Getting 80% of your health bar torn off by one arrow is never fun. It eventually devolved into dodge spamming. Also fuck that final boss.
- The warrior tree never felt like it was even remotely a viable option.
- The most spectacularly useless companions I've ever seen in a game
- That VA. Lol.
- Environments looked drab, generic, and the game was quite frankly an artistic wasteland
- The story was really, really bad and every single part of it felt rushed.

Now I'm intrigued reading all these positive comments. Keeping the above in mind, tell me GAF, would I possibly enjoy The Technomancer?

Alfrays

Neo Member
Ok, here's why I hated BBF -

- Terrible dialogue system and undercooked "I'm becoming a demon" mechanic
- Combat was really tough but didn't feel fair. Getting 80% of your health bar torn off by one arrow is never fun. It eventually devolved into dodge spamming. Also fuck that final boss.
- The warrior tree never felt like it was even remotely a viable option.
- The most spectacularly useless companions I've ever seen in a game
- That VA. Lol.
- Environments looked drab, generic, and the game was quite frankly an artistic wasteland
- The story was really, really bad and every single part of it felt rushed.

Now I'm intrigued reading all these positive comments. Keeping the above in mind, tell me GAF, would I possibly enjoy The Technomancer?

- The dialogue system is a little improved, there isn't any "demon" mechanic
- It depends by the difficulty you choose, in hard mode you go down with 3-4 shoots. The final boss isn't impossible
- The tree is improved
- The companion are all different and useful
- The VA is decent
- Environments are cool if you like sic fi
- The story is really, really cool, it's not rushed like BBF

Does the damage on the rogue increase? Feels like I'm barely doing anything when I use it.
If you focus on rogue tree and agility tree yeah. You crit very very often. If you shoot over and over again you are likely to get many crits. If you up your chances to crit it does it too. You know you've done a crit when the camera/game slows down.

Also use stab often as its what causes poison and does a bit more dps. If you electrocute and the person is stunned then stab away.

It's by no means the biggest base damage fighting style, but it's the most mobile and safer if you plan to dodge a lot. I get crits from dodging away from danger at the last minute as well. I kill enemies fairly fast with my team.

bati

I think rogue + technomancer is the highest single target dps spec, and probably the best overall for Extreme difficulty. You can debuff the targets with poison and electric fist, you crit on nearly every attack (and those electric fist crits are just devastating), you got a strong ranged weapon which comes in very handy versus some strong creatures, dodging is easy, etc. That said, I only maxed out the right branch on the rogue tree - crit after dodge, increased crit chance after a successful crit, etc - these talents really make the bulk of the difference imo. In the middle branch I only went up to [from behind] talents which I didn't take and on the left one I took poison talents. In technomancer tree I took pretty much everything and right now I have electric weapon (crit hit chance), shield and overload permanently toggled. Jury's still out on Overload because you give up one Fluid spot for it which puts a big dent in your electric fist burst capabilities.

Moff

I dropped shield for the fluid spot. the knockback upgrade is nice but apart from that I think it's not a very strong shield. I kill faster with more fluid spots. but I am only playing on normal.

Top Bottom