• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times: Trump puts EU ahead of UK in trade queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaface

Things are looking pretty good.

Trollface.jpg

aB0CFhD.jpg

PJV3

Really I think the best thing to do would be to match how Europe treats the U.K. And hardline them on trade. I'm sure they are likely desperate to increase trade with us after brexit but if we prioritize eu at first and let them panic for a bit then we'll probably get the most favorable deal that way.

I would be surprised if that isn't every countries strategy, it's not often a nation does something so crazy with no plan and a determination to close off any escape route.

theaface

Deafening cries of "I told you so" aside, how exactly does May continue to sell the idea of a new, prosperous and out-reaching post-Brexit Britain to the electorate? In one week from now the EU will formalise it's negotiating position - namely that we are fucked. And now you have the US, just another large nation like many others that have been either very cool on trade talk, or circling like vultures ready to pick off what they want from an isolated and vulnerable country.

I mean, I know a large part of the answer to this is the UK press but I struggle to see how even they can attempt to spin a positive here. I guess by the time the election happens it'll already be too late and it won't matter. By then we'll have found a conflict to enter into to distract the masses.

Nordicus

I can't wait until euroskeptics break the single market so America can strong-arm countries into unfavorable bilateral deals.

There's a reason he's anti-EU, folks.
I imagine that's the tactic fed to him by his advisors and campaign managers, while Trump himself is all "Man, EU sounds like a such a boring hassle. I wanna just play President with other Presidents and be cool"
perhaps we should send Merkel over there for a time to explain him other basic concepts like climate change
"perhaps we should assassinate Merkel via Trump"

Blader

I don't know whether to feel embarrassed about Trump's ignorance, relieved over his 180 on the EU, or schadenfreude over how badly Brexit voters have fucked themselves.

thedan001

Remember when ppl actually thought Trump was playing the political game in 4D chess perspective

lmao, this dude can't even think ahead in checkers

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
UK should now ban Trump from entering the country haha

But seriously, I think Wilbur Ross might have influenced Trump. EU is a lot more important to US trade interests than Britain.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
“Ten times Trump asked her if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, ‘You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU’."

"Can I make a trade deal with you?"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"I'm the best negotiator"
"..."

wildfire

Banned
Another supposed ally gets burned.

It bothers me that a few days ago other gaf members claimed since we're stuck with Trump we have to work with him and didn't understand my point that he backstabs everyone so it's pointless.

If you have the option to try working around Trump always do that first.

Mikeside

Here in the UK we've enjoyed waving our big, global dick around for some time.

We've finally shown the world what we're capable of now, as we've bent that thing round and fucked ourselves in the arse with it.

I don't know whether to feel embarrassed about Trump's ignorance, relieved over his 180 on the EU, or schadenfreude over how badly Brexit voters have fucked themselves.
It's not only the Brexit voters who are fucked but also the other 49% who are going to be dragged down with them.

World's largest economy prefers to trade with world's largest union over an irrelevant island with little-to-no comparative advantage. Weather at 11.

Bold One

No honour among cunts...who'd have thunk it?

Turkeys voting for Christmas - now to wait for June 8 and watch this lobotomised country vote for the Tories...again then turn around and blame the disabled and immigrants when things go wrong.

Rinse and repeat.

jiiikoo

Banned
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"I'm the best negotiator"
"..."

oh my god.

He's probably spent years getting his own way by bulldozing his way through trade deals with spineless/clueless business owners. Now he's come up against people with some moral fibre and a backbone and suddenly he's u-turning all over the shop.

Lets hope he never meets Kim Jong-il. He'd probably end up personally delivering a few ICBMs for their fledgling nuclear arsenal.

That's pretty much where I stand right know, but leaning more on the "POTUS is a fracking moron" stance, because if he 180ed once he can do it again and again.

Don't worry guys, once Trump realizes that the UK has stuff of all kinds to sell, like a particularly dense and gluttonous kind of chocolate cake from Walthamstow, he'll drop the EU like a hot potato.

Isn't this just Trump's thing? Saying whatever he thinks the other person wants to hear (eventually)?

I imagine when he next sees Johnson or May, he'll say that the UK is his #1 trading priority. Only when it comes to actually starting the trading deal negotiations will his real intentions be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom