• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times: Trump puts EU ahead of UK in trade queue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you done fucked up bad when your friends across the pond elect the incompetent racist clown as their leader and you still manage to look like a bunch of tossers in comparison.

You have to wonder how much of this bullshit has too happen before even The Mail/Sun turn heel and realise that freedom wont be that great.

I'm still clinging to the view that Brexit won't actually happen and they'll be a big fudge/referendum on the terms

This is such a common attitude to politics but I really don't understand it. Are people so short-sighted and eager to absolve themselves of responsibility that they convince each other nothing will really change anyway? How do they think we end up with the day-to-day lifestyle we have? Just because everything doesn't change overnight, so nothing changes ever? The property crisis didn't happen in a day. Or the NHS crisis.
I am not absolving myself of any responsibility. I am just keeping things that are out of my control in perspective, but maybe it is a thing that comes easier with age.

Also, the word crisis is overused and the media especially loves whipping up hysteria over 'crisis' here and crisis there. It makes for good headlines - the refugees 'crisis', the NHS 'crisis', the property 'crisis'. I don't think I have ever lived in an age when there wasn't one 'crisis' or another happening somewhere. Ultimately though, as long as we continue to have good friends and family, a roof over our head and disposal income to buy the things we want - then our day-to-day life won't change that much whatever happens with Brexit.

Whatever happens with Brexit, our day-to-day life won't change very much. I mean, the worst that could happen is that the country will become poorer - but money isn't everything. Just because we are used to living in the top 5 of the GDP, it won't be the end of the world if we drop down the GDP and become a country more like New Zealand or Ireland. Try and keep it in perspective - suicide is definitely not the answer.

Lmao what.

Money isn't everything therefore it's ok to give everyone a worse standard of living.

Just think, do you really need a nationalised health service? Or being able to afford both food and rent? I mean, sure, we already have 21% of the country in poverty according to the DWP 2016 numbers, but what's another few percent, or even less money for those people aye?

PJV3

Well we don't really know what the final deal is going to be. I doubt we will have a clean break with the EU (i.e. hard Brexit), but we'll see.

Regardless, I am not saying it is going to be an easy ride, but it definitely isn't worth contemplating suicide over. Whatever side of the political debate we are on, we must keep it in perspective - surely we can all agree on that?

The former Prime minister asked a question his government did zero work on preparing for, the current government thinks it will be negotiating over EU agencies that are about to be relocated in a few weeks.

I think the country should at least accept that things could get very, very bad as a possible outcome. That way we can avoid it and the misery that would come with it.

Maximus P

Lmao what.

Money isn't everything therefore it's ok to give everyone a worse standard of living.

Just think, do you really need a nationalised health service? Or being able to afford both food and rent? I mean, sure, we already have 21% of the country in poverty according to the DWP 2016 numbers, but what's another few percent, or even less money for those people aye?

The guy was consoling someone who clearly mentioned he was contemplating suicide.

Can we please stop this dog pile. He wasn't exactly going to tell him that things are going to get worse and we're fucked.

Walshicus

zX2pa1M.jpg
Damn you Saladin, you English bastard!

Lmao what.

I am not going to get into a debate about poverty statistics or whether a nationalise health service will remain affordable post-Brexit (although we had an NHS before we joined the EU so...), but regardless - I still don't think those issues are reasons for the poster to contemplate suicide in all honesty.

PJV3

The guy was consoling someone who clearly mentioned he was contemplating suicide.

Can we please stop this dog pile. He wasn't exactly going to tell him that things are going to get worse and we're fucked.

I think some of the stuff that is making people so rattled and contemplating extreme actions is the strange atmosphere currently out in the country.

Having to make it all up in a few months and having Boris clown around probably comforts some people but it goes down really badly with others.

We need to get past this stage as quickly as possible.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
That bitch Merkel cock-blocking us from cheap Neon Nerds.

jelly

This is such a common attitude to politics but I really don't understand it. Are people so short-sighted and eager to absolve themselves of responsibility that they convince each other nothing will really change anyway? How do they think we end up with the day-to-day lifestyle we have? Just because everything doesn't change overnight, so nothing changes ever? The property crisis didn't happen in a day. Or the NHS crisis.

True and I would say food has already gone up in price when it didn't have to so fuck Brexiters.

JimiNutz

Banned
You have to wonder how much of this bullshit has too happen before even The Mail/Sun turn heel and realise that freedom wont be that great.

I'm still clinging to the view that Brexit won't actually happen and they'll be a big fudge/referendum on the terms

If the US strike a trade deal with the EU first and our trade options start to dry up then surely a soft Brexit will be on the cards and this hard Brexit nonsense will be forgotten about.

Xando

If the US strike a trade deal with the EU first and our trade options start to dry up then surely a soft Brexit will be on the cards and this hard Brexit nonsense will be forgotten about.

I thought i read May is about to guarantee a hard brexit in the tory manifesto which is why she called a election?

I need a gif of a German man in Lederhosen and a French man with a Baguette, horizontal striped shirt and a Beret laughing together for whenever another thread comes up with shit Trump says or realizes or Brits realizing that the Brexit will be shite.

PJV3

Doubtful, there is to much lag time. Everything would need to happen in the next few months.

There goes that special relationship.

It's often been highly exaggerated anyway and often doesn't ring true. even post ww2 it's not been some unconditional support kind of thing. If it takes trump to finally realise that in the uk government and media in general. it's fine by me.

Sulik2

The good news is the European populace went nuts over TTIP so at least they will be smart enough to reject whatever awful new version the corporate lawyers draw up under the guise of governments in secret.

jelly

It's often been highly exaggerated anyway and often doesn't ring true. even post ww2 it's not been some unconditional support kind of thing. If it takes trump to finally realise that in the uk government and media in general. it's fine by me.

The special relationship is quite funny, UK is like the arm for the US in Europe that the UK just cut off. Obvious intelligence and military interests as well will always be there which is a big part of the so called relationship. UK burned their seat at the table and now have no say in Europe so to the US, the UK has lost much of it's use. Common interests with no way to seek them. Whoops.

PJV3

I mean, is that surprising? EU is a much bigger market than UK. Or am i missing something?

Early Trump wanted to shatter the EU, reality of running a country has probably worn him down already. The French could make it easier for him if they go insane in the election.

Dealing with a disintegrating Europe is going to increase his workload and that's before he can make juicy deals years down the line.

I mean, is that surprising? EU is a much bigger market than UK. Or am i missing something?

A number of people in the UK made the argument that we don't need to trade with the EU because we can just trade with other countries instead, including the USA. This isn't surprising to the audience that reads gaf, but there are probably a fair amount of people who couldn't see this coming.

Omikaru

I'm not even mad anymore, just resigned to accept that Brexit is and always will be a disaster. And the sooner the country cottons on (or the demographics just short), the sooner we can rejoin.

EGM1966

11th time? Really?

May's only card will be to tell Trump that putting EU first was Obama's plan and hope he reacts predictably.

jelly

The good news is the European populace went nuts over TTIP so at least they will be smart enough to reject whatever awful new version the corporate lawyers draw up under the guise of governments in secret.

Also, the EU wanted to put a tariff on cheap imported Chinese steel and the UK industry was going under because of it, black balled the EU proposals. That's how much much a Tory government cares about British industry. Britain will continue to be sold off to everyone, lower standards, tax cuts for business. It's the only way to get anything out of Brexit.

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought i read May is about to guarantee a hard brexit in the tory manifesto which is why she called a election?

To guarantee a hard Brexit is madness. Why even bother with the two year negotiation period if you're just going to completely cut yourself off from the EU...

If she guarantees a hard Brexit then I hope a lot of people change their mind on voting for her in the GE.

PJV3

To guarantee a hard Brexit is madness. Why even bother with the two year negotiation period if you're just going to completely cut yourself off from the EU...

If she guarantees a hard Brexit then I hope a lot of people change their mind on voting for her in the GE.

She's struggling to get a non hard transitional deal past her side.

RenditMan

Banned

Why would she guarantee a hard Brexit? She doesn't want it removing from the table as it would castrate negotiations before they've started.

Whilst ever hard Brexit is on the table there's less chance of it actually happening.

Xando

Why would she guarantee a hard Brexit?

You should ask her that.

She could pledge a ”triple lock" on Brexit, guaranteeing her promise to take the UK out of the single market, withdraw from the jurisdiction of the EU courts and take back control over immigration.
This sounds a whole lot like hard brexit unless she's gonna get a magical deal where the EU blinks on every point they made.

She has said multiple times FoM will be gone therefore the SM is also gone. Unless you have a different definition of a hard brexit.

Balphon

Well, yeah, there was no way the EU wasn't going to be prioritized.

Though the fact that this was a "realization" for the White House that involved Trump once again having to be educated about basic facts by other world leaders is predictably hilarious.

gtvdave

UK going rogue because of "injustice done upon them" is more and more probable. Hopefully there is not another financial crisis around the corner.

ISOM

Obama warned Britain about this. I remember British posters on this forum saying for him to mind his own business. Now even right wing messiah Trump can't even do it.

The former Prime minister asked a question his government did zero work on preparing for, the current government thinks it will be negotiating over EU agencies that are about to be relocated in a few weeks.

I think the country should at least accept that things could get very, very bad as a possible outcome. That way we can avoid it and the misery that would come with it.

The other way is that things become bad very quickly and the current government is ousted as a response. If things only become mildly bad, then there won't be any changes as a result. And "mild bad" can easily be masked as status quo.

SteveWD40

Some speculation that it may be the exact opposite and a huge majority will castrate IDS and friends.

That's what I think, the fact she consulted with Hammond prior to the election (who wants soft brexit as he knows as chancellor it will be his cock on the block) adds credence to this.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I would be surprised if that isn't every countries strategy, it's not often a nation does something so crazy with no plan and a determination to close off any escape route.

Right? And leavers somehow delude themselves that Britain will get preferential treatment in line with the fantasy of the UK's importance that they cling to, when all evidence shows the UK needs the world far more than the world needs the UK.

Their monumentally stupid, racist vote was the geopolitical equivalent of tying pounds of bloody raw meat to themselves and jumping into a shark tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom