• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times: Trump puts EU ahead of UK in trade queue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knew that they'd end up first doing a deal with a large trading bloc with a massive variety of trading opportunities over a middling little country with very little to offer.

Oh, that's right... anyone with common sense.

Suicide is looking more and more appealing rather than living in this dump of a country.

I really wouldn't recommend suicide. Have you look into moving to another country? I moved over to Canada a few years ago and have been loving it. It's time consuming, but very plausible to get over here on a work visa.

Kinyou

Mr Trump’s change of heart has been put down to Mrs Merkel’s intransigence. After her trip to Washington, she briefed cabinet colleagues on what she said were “very basic misunder- standings” by Mr Trump on the “fundamentals” of the EU and trade.

“Ten times Trump asked her if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, ‘You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU’,” a senior German politician said. “On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, ‘Oh, we’ll do a deal with Europe then.’ ”
Yep, that's Trump

Kabouter

I'm sure next time he talks to May the UK will be ahead again, since just about any significant foreign leader he talks to seems to be able to change his mind on most major issues.

Xando

Market 400m people has a advantage over a 60m market.

The only people shocked by this should be brexiteers thinking britain is a superpower.

slider

No judgement of Trump/administration for this (yeah, there's plenty of judgement for other things). This isn't a surprise to anyone I'd hope.

BTW, if, as seems likely, he gets a ride in the Royal Carriage (or whatever the hell it's called), I really hope that the streets are deserted. For some reason I think that'd be much better than protests. An immature man playing grown up, riding along with no one paying him any attention.

GeoGonzo

I'm sure next time he talks to May the UK will be ahead again, since just about any significant foreign leader he talks to seems to be able to change his mind on most major issues.
Yup. As Verdi once said, "Le Donnie è mobile qual piuma al vento"

Xando

I think it's time for Britain to invade Europe and take over the EU!

British media got you

C8oU8WfXoAI9KZ7.jpg

Fritz

I mean it's Trump, okay, but how did people ever get the impression that this was not an inevitable turn of events.

I am sorry to say this but the British delusion is absolute. And spinning this to "Merkel trumped Britain" is ridiculous.

weekev

Banned
Did anyone think the UK would be ahead of the EU in any trade deal? Are people really that moronic and naive?

Brexit was mainly about Xenophobia, it was never about being able to neogiate the best deals. Anyone who believed that frankly needs to try and work back the logic that made them think our tiny country would be able to netiquette better than a bunch of larger countries with more people, more money and more stuff to trade with.

People voted to close our borders because of some bollocks about foreigners costing us welfare and taking our jobs, generally speaking. There were a few other reasons that seemed reasonable with the fishing industry but generally it was a shit show of Xenophobia and lies to justify the Xenophobia (in my humble opinion)

Leaving the world largest free trade union so you can make better deals with other smaller economies... just the line of thinking is absurd and it only gets worse.

Zaph

Of fucking course he is. As bad a businessman Trump is, even he would recognise a customer with $400 in their pocket is more important than a customer $60.

We're that mug at school who their friends told them to do something stupid, we actually did it, and now they're just laughing at us instead of doing it too.

Over the next couple decades we will learn a much needed lesson, it's just a shame most of the old, racist cunts will dead before they can see it.

ittoryu

Hasn't the US and EU been working on a deal for years now and they aren't any closer than when they started?
Which is why the EU is ahead of the queue. There is a queue to negotiate trade deal and the UK is not ahead of the queue. But you do know all of this very well :)

JimiNutz

Banned
Makes perfect sense for the US to put the EU ahead of the UK and this will hopefully convince stupid cunt May that she needs to secure the UK access to the free market, allow the free movement of EU citizen and 'soft' Brexit.

Did anyone think the UK would be ahead of the EU in any trade deal? Are people really that moronic and naive?

Yes and, if we're not, just ignore them. Don't have a deal, that'll show them!

An ongoing feature of Brexit denial is that the people who think it's a good idea still think the UK is relevent on the world stage on its own and, to a degree, they're right... but it's because of the backing of the EU. EU financial and health services are headquartered in England.

Due to the EU, we were able to move to become a service nation, rather than a primary industry nation. We closed the mines and steelworks, we opened law firms and accountants.

We have NOTHING to trade with and, as such, will end up having to export, as Bojo rightly said, biscuits.

The Department of Exiting the European Union (The Brexit Police) can't even make a case for it. They posted this chart the other week

C9TPTqfWsAQNnce.jpg:large

Out trade deamtically improved in the 70s/80s, what happened there?

They then posted a graph for fasted growth and it had to be annotated by other people

C9Tzh76XsAIuSwu.jpg:large

Basically, any trade deal will only be worse than what we have because we have nothing other countries need or can't get from elsewhere. UK also has the disadvantage that their closest neighbour is still in the EU and is English speaking meaning a company looking to expand into Europe, but needing an English speaking base of operations, sets up in Ireland, not the UK.

jelly

Don't worry, the rich and political elite in the UK will be okay with their chums and tax cuts while everyone else get red white and blue bootstraps. Stop complaining and get on with it, your kids won't drive to work themselves.

Maximus P

Suicide is looking more and more appealing rather than living in this dump of a country.

This is a tad extreme. Talk to someone.

has the BBC bothered to report this yet? >_>

'sources close to both sides of the discussion told The Times.'

I don't think the Times have let on who their 'sources' are, so the BBC can't report anything. Anything they publish about this will just be hear say.

Nordicus

They then posted a graph for fasted growth and it had to be annotated by other people

C9Tzh76XsAIuSwu.jpg:large

Basically, any trade deal will only be worse than what we have because we have nothing other countries need or can't get from elsewhere. UK also has the disadvantage that their closest neighbour is still in the EU and is English speaking meaning a company looking to expand into Europe, but needing an English speaking base of operations, sets up in Ireland, not the UK.
It's fine, look, there's China there near the top, maybe work out something with them?

Need 10 years and 500 negotiators

Oh... I'm sure they at least have the competent staff to handle it-

UK would struggle to get a group of 25

I do worry about people who get too emotionally invested in politics.

Seriously, if it is getting you down then turn off the news and focus other stuff. Rediscover your hobbies and play a new RPG or look forward to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in a couple of weeks.

Whatever happens with Brexit, our day-to-day life won't change very much. I mean, the worst that could happen is that the country will become poorer - but money isn't everything. Just because we are used to living in the top 5 of the GDP, it won't be the end of the world if we drop down the GDP and become a country more like New Zealand or Ireland. Try and keep it in perspective - suicide is definitely not the answer.

sammex

It's funny that exactly a year ago to the day was when Obama said we were back of the queue. The Brexit camp didn't like that at all.

Barack Obama says Brexit would leave UK at the 'back of the queue' on trade

EU exit campaigners reacted angrily to his words, with Tory MP Dominic Raab dubbing him a "lame duck" president.

Mr Raab told BBC News: "The reality is the US has failed and Barack Obama's biggest trade failure has been in not being able to secure a trade deal with the EU."

"I think those left to pick up the pieces after Obama moves on will be a little bit frustrated about his comments because they don't reflect US trade policy and I'm sure they won't reflect future US trade policy. What you had here was a lame-duck American president doing an old British friend a political favour."

Then 4 Months ago this happened, and the comments were full of people saying how glad they were that Trump won the election and that Obama was gone.

UK in 'front seat' for US trade deal, top Republican says

Mr Johnson has been meeting with top Republicans on Capitol Hill. "We hear we are first in line to do a great free trade deal with the United States. So, it's going to be a very exciting year for both our countries," he said.

I wonder if they still feel the same?

PJV3

Seriously, if it is getting you down then turn off the news and focus other stuff. Rediscover your hobbies and play a new RPG or look forward to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in a couple of weeks.

Whatever happens with Brexit, our day-to-day life won't change very much. I mean, the worst that could happen is that the country will become poorer - but money isn't everything. Just because we are used to living in the top 5 of the GDP, it won't be the end of the world if we drop down the GDP and become a country more like New Zealand or Ireland. Try and keep it in perspective - suicide is definitely not the answer.

That's all very Keep calm and carry on of you, yeah people shouldn't really care about the international rankings or GDP, they should definitely worry about becoming poorer or our national safety net being eroded.

eizarus

Banned
The UK right now:
pmH3i5O.gif

God, I hope Scotland gets it's independence and sort out something with the EU

Oh and pro-Brexiters can go fuck themselves. The amount of bullshit before and after the referendum that came out defending shooting yourself in the foot, smh. The sad part is that they're still blind to the reality that surrounds them (just take a look at the comments on any major news channel's Facebook posts regarding Brexit).

fuck you guy. the empire will rise again.

https://youtu.be/-jDpvGW2B00?t=77

Let's not get too down about it just yet.
He's due a state visit. If the Queen let's him sit on the throne and wear a crown while he eats his dinner, everybody in the UK could end up with a free Chevrolet.

That's all very Keep calm and carry on of you, yeah people shouldn't really care about the international rankings or GDP, they should definitely worry about becoming poorer or our national safety net being eroded.
Well we don't really know what the final deal is going to be. I doubt we will have a clean break with the EU (i.e. hard Brexit), but we'll see.

Regardless, I am not saying it is going to be an easy ride, but it definitely isn't worth contemplating suicide over. Whatever side of the political debate we are on, we must keep it in perspective - surely we can all agree on that?

TheChaos0

It's going to be alright either way. As much as the situation is shitty. I hate it as well but those thoughts are not helpful. PM me if you want to vent.

Zaph

This is such a common attitude to politics but I really don't understand it. Are people so short-sighted and eager to absolve themselves of responsibility that they convince each other nothing will really change anyway? How do they think we end up with the day-to-day lifestyle we have? Just because everything doesn't change overnight, so nothing changes ever? The property crisis didn't happen in a day. Or the NHS crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom