• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trial Of Peter Molyneux by RockPaperShotgun

Oh come on now. Peter might be untrustworthy today but lets not devalue the great games he made in the past. Games like Populous, Dungeon Keeper, and even Black & White are still great games today, all due to him.

I have zero problems with people calling him a liar because he absolutely has misled people as of late, no dispute there, but to say he's never made any contribution to the gaming industry? That's just ignorant.

No, what is ignorant is assuming those games were successful purely because of Molyneux vision..

As has already said, he is a "dreamer" it's producers and developers who put that vision into practice.

kiguel182

Ah I see.

Yeah it's a very loaded question and accusation but he still didn't say "You are a pathological liar." I know I am being way literal with my posts but, only having it in text is kind of a detriment without seeing or hearing a reaction.

I agree that we are inferring tone and there's room of misinterpretation. Maybe he didn't mean it as an insult or accusation.

Sorry but putting up a kickstarter at an amount they KNEW wouldn't be enough to come good on their promises because of the 'if it doesn't get fully funded you don't get the money' rule is the very definition of a scam.

They are playing fast and loose with other peoples goodwill and money.

It's about time someone call him out on his over-promising and under-delivering.

I was wrong actually. He thought he could make the game in 9 months but they had some trouble and that wasn't possible, that was the reason he signed with a publisher and gave away mobile rights.

So yeah, still not a scam artist or anything close.

Jito

Banned
Really goes to show he doesn't even think before he speaks, thoughout the interview he says the game will be ready by Easter, then 3 months, then 7 months and finally 9 months. I bet it won't be ready for another year.

This interview is exactly what Molyneux and 22Cans needed, a huge kick up the ass to get their act together. Most of the things brought up in the interview would never be heard from again without the interview, the backer pledge rewards for example, Molyneux actually thinks he doesn't owe people anything as they've provided a early version of the game already. And the fact he clearly forgot about his "God of Gods" and hasn't even bothered to meet him once.

I was wrong actually. He thought he could make the game in 9 months but they had some trouble and that wasn't possible, that was the reason he signed with a publisher and gave away mobile rights.

He's been in the games industry for over 30 years, I'll bet a good number of projects he was working on have gone over time and over budget.

There is no excuse.

Jackpot

Banned
All those posters saying "it's just video games", it's also a business. ANY COMPANY that consistently puts out shitty products and breaks promises like this should have these questions asked.

Also feel that everyone's just skipping over Molyneux admitting to deliberately asking for money when he knew he couldn't deliver on the product with it. And the lies in the interview he ends up trapping himself in a few questions later.

10 YEARS of this. Other developers make ambitious games and face the same technical hurdles but they don't have the lies to their name.

A man with decades of experience making games and not meeting deadlines didn't know he wouldn't deliver his own project in under 9 months? And it's been like a year since then and still no delivery.

This is more the equivalent of a director being called a liar for a scene in the trial not being in the final cut of a movie than a politician being asked a tough question.

How?

If anything, this is more of a director going on Kickstarter saying "I need half a million quid to make this amazing movie because we want to be independent!", makes half a million quid, signed up with a publisher anyway because "I actually didn't calculate the cost of production for the movie which is another million quid", promises releases within nine months only to release a very incomplete product in the market and expects you to enjoy the movie held up by tapes. While you're at it, you have already promised to people that one lucky viewer who sees his current movie in the theatre will get a chance to play as the lead actor in the new movie and will also get to keep a share of all the profits for a decade to come. That one lucky viewer not only doesn't get his share of profit, but he hasn't even been contacted for over a year after the initial few hellos. This hasn't happened because they have yet to complete the movie which has already taken an additional two years and is barely halfway done with production. Oh and that decades of profit and lead role? That'll expire in six months now because fuck you.

All this while the director decides to announce another movie he is working on that will be an "IMAX 3D experience like never before", and the movie isn't even shot on IMAX or is 3D.

Am I getting this right? If this was in any other industry, they would be chewed down to pieces but its gaming and the developers are sensitive and we can't step on their feelings because they will point fingers and say "you are the reason the game isn't complete and I'm done talking to the press! you are the reason i am wasting time talking to you about nonsense instead of making the game!" when you clearly had 3 years to do so.

Stop acting like a child, Peter. I know we all are trying our best to achieve what we want to achieve and we all lie to get our point across or get our product out there, but NOT when you are dealing with other people's money. You have to be straight up and personal and explain, and not explain after someone decides to FINALLY sit down with you for an hour and call you out on all the lies you've said and haven't delivered on anything promised. There's a reason why you wanted to be independent and its because of all these bullshit lies you have to give to publisher. We are not publishers! Explain the damn thing instead of feeding us a lie and us wasting time asking why'd you lie instead of asking what went wrong.

This industry is full of hardworking people who would kill to be in the high horse that Peter is in, and actually deliver their promises and beyond. There are dozens and dozens of failed Kickstarter projects that could've actually delivered on the promise but we all give the veteran a chance to see if he can teach these kids how its done. Sadly, all Peter has done is tarnished Kickstarter for the ones that pledged.

People calling RPS , especially on the beginning of the interview need to read this :

It's actually simple , the tone went up , but that's not really RPS fault here ..i do think it was tense butthere was a bgood chunk of the interview were both were trying to understand the other intent , it wasn't just an "attack on PM"

Leading an interview off asking the person if they think they are a pathological liar and then feigning surprise over people reading the tone as negative seems somewhat dishonest on Walker's part.

Axass

Looking at this thread, Walker is the journalist we need, but one who we don't deserve.

That's how you do an interview, it's just that the whole gaming industry is so used to journalism being free PR that such an interview ends up being a shocker.

I'm reposting this stuff in this thread as well, because there's still people thinking he's a visionary and not lying on purpose:

Peter Molyneux said:

Peter Molyneux about Godus said:

A guy who worked for him:

That used to be me. Problem is he never listens to advice and instead will bully and insult you into oblivion if you dare to disagree with him.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Bad journalism isn't just asking weak questions, but it's also being so confrontational that it affects the truth of the answers.

So you're saying that pandering to a liar is more likely to yield truth than calling them on their bullshit?

Call them on it and then watch them self-destruct.

It seems to me that Peter is always chasing some utopian version of a game that floats about in his head and forgets that he operates in the real world. He's probably so consumed by that idea that money, budget, time or other people fall by the wayside. The interview was probably necessary, especially by someone like Walker who has followed his career as a journalist very closely over the years.

Tuffty

My heart goes out to Molyneux to some extent over that interview, but most of my sympathy goes out to those working on the development. Spending longer than anticipated working with undelivered deadlines and promises, all with a bay of angry and disappointed backers. All for a game which at this point will only be received and appreciated by a very select few. This week has only highlighted it further I'm sure and it must be a bad environment to be in.

Z3M0G

Peter Molyneux has admitted regret and culpability; he was clearly in distress throughout the interview – an interview he told us would will be his last. An hour before publication, however, we discovered that he had spoken to the gaming news site Rock, Paper, Shotgun the day before, and had given their interviewer the same impression – that he would no longer be speaking to the press (that interview is now online). He has also spoken to at least one other site, seemingly on the same afternoon as our discussion. Another trail of broken assurances.

Overall this interview was much more palatable... but was this part really necessary?

Mael

I had no idea 30 years in the industry gave you the power to predict the future.

No but apparently 30 years in the business should allow you to get a rough ballpark of how much money you need to make a project you pitch.
You absolutely can go over budget (and how games do!).
But that's not what happened here.

RPS: Why did it take my writing an article about the fact these things don’t exist for you to get round to start making them?

Peter Molyneux: I’ll tell you why, John. Because we’re so fucking busy trying to make this game a great game. Everybody here, every single person here is doing something on the game, with the exception of Michelle, and even Michelle who is the office administrator is now acting as a producer to help out. And someone called Peter Murphy who is the finance director. Everyone else is programming, doing art, coding, doing concept drawings, testing, and there isn’t, there’s not, we’re not a big enough company to have someone who looks after the pledges. We did have someone like that and unfortunately they left and went and left the industry. And you know, maybe if we had more money than anybody else, we’d employ lots of support people to handle that. We’re just a small indie developer. If I was Electronic Arts then, fair enough, justified, because they’ve got the infrastructure. You know I think something like 80% of their people are support people and only 20% people are actually people who produce stuff, who make code and art.

That’s the reason why. Is that right? No. I could spend a day a week going on to boards and answering the boards and I could spend half my day doing it. Christ knows how that would work. I mean, I’ve got absolutely zero free time as it is. We won’t see me, John, going round schmoozing and taking five days to go to GDC. I don’t have a social life.

This is enough to tell me that PM is incompetent.

Not because he's making his office admin a producer, but because he doesn't know how to delegate tasks and hire people to fill those roles with 30 years in the business AND he has direct experience with big name publishing.

Any good manager worth his or her weight can manage themselves out of 90-95% of situations on paper. He's not doing that.

He's a poor project manager and with his experiences he shouldn't be.

I had no idea 30 years in the industry gave you the power to predict the future.

Good lord. Never work in Management. You'll ruin people.

GlamFM

Banned
Very uncomfortable read. Feels morally wrong to publish such an interview.

I'm not mad at Peter anymore, I feel sorry for him.

Why was RPS so confrontational? Sure, Peter doesn't live up to his ambition a lot, but he certainly didn't deserve to be lambasted like this. Most interviews and anything else I've seen of him, he seems like a very sincere dude.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's morally wrong, but everyone holding it up as the "paragon of what an interview should be" should really want more than that out of their journalists.

Jesus man.

This industry, if you don't sell yourself before you make a product, you will never make it in the first place. It's called a pitch. It happens with movies as well. A lot of bad movies have been made. No body wants to make bad movies.

For kickstarted projects, he might owe some folks who got promised a certain amount of things a few things.

But shit happens.

Fucking deal with it. He's doing this for consumers. For you. Sometimes shit doesn't work out.
Yeah! Fuck you Consumers! Fucking deal with it. Who cares that PM took money and hasn't given out the rewards due according to KS. Just take your -$60 like a man and go home!
/Eyeroll
The inteviewer was talking about his entire career not just Godus. But even Godus I don't think it's "scam artist" material

I was referring to "respecting" John Walker instead of Molyneux. It was in that context not in a "he can do whatever" meaning.
Godus isn't a scam. It's just a project that took out money and didn't put out a promised product. And then went back on its own statements.

kiguel182

It's called planning. You start that when you are 10 or younger.

No but apparently 30 years in the business should allow you to get a rough ballpark of how much money you need to make a project you pitch.
You absolutely can go over budget (and how games do!).
But that's not what happened here.

He planned it for 9 months and that planned failed. Was it his fault it took longer? I don't know. That still doesn't make it a lie or a scam.

Good lord. Never work in Management. You'll ruin people.

Thanks for the career advice.

Heartfyre

So you're saying that pandering to a liar is more likely to yield truth than calling them on their bullshit?

Call them on it and then watch them self-destruct.

Nope. You're reading what you like from my words. I never said that asking weak questions leads to the truth. I'm saying that goading them into absolute defensiveness won't yield truth either. Which is all that RPS managed to accomplish today.

Mr Git

Peter Molyneux: I’ll tell you why, John. Because we’re so fucking busy trying to make this game a great game. Everybody here, every single person here is doing something on the game, with the exception of Michelle, and even Michelle who is the office administrator is now acting as a producer to help out. And someone called Peter Murphy who is the finance director. Everyone else is programming, doing art, coding, doing concept drawings, testing, and there isn’t, there’s not, we’re not a big enough company to have someone who looks after the pledges. We did have someone like that and unfortunately they left and went and left the industry. And you know, maybe if we had more money than anybody else, we’d employ lots of support people to handle that. We’re just a small indie developer. If I was Electronic Arts then, fair enough, justified, because they’ve got the infrastructure. You know I think something like 80% of their people are support people and only 20% people are actually people who produce stuff, who make code and art.

[later]

RPS: OK, can we just clarify one thing. A number of sites have reported this week that the Godus team has been hugely reduced, there’s very few people left working on it, but you’ve implied that the whole of 22cans is working on it. Where’s the truth in that?

Peter Molyneux: No, I didn’t say that.

RPS: Sorry, I misunderstood you then.

Hmm? Hmm.

I know not everyone has read the full interview as it seems the site is overloaded, but there are moments where John is actually very kind to Peter, despite his frustrations that John's out to ruin him. He wants Molyneux to stop.. lying, which is basically what everyone wants.

jblank83

I don't think he's a compulsive liar.

I think Molyneux is an unrepentant pitch man who will say or do anything he needs to sell his product.

gdt

Feels like this was necessary after the Godus promises and the Kickstarter thing. His history of over promising on gameplay is fine really, easy to make fun of.

But this shit that's going on now its nuts and just straight up malicious. Knowingly or not.

When has a game ever met its deadline and been 100% ready?

He should have allowed extra time for contingencies and budgeted accordingly.

This guy is a moron, he has no clue how to run a studio or make a game, he makes ridiculous overblown promises and the poor producers and developers have to try make good on his promises, they are the ones that get fired when they cant meet it and Molyneux survives another day thinking he is the messiah.

I'm glad someone called him out on his bullshit and knocked him down a peg or two.

The Boat

Sometimes interviews need to be uncomfortable. They don't always need to be like this, but sometimes the scales are tipped so much to one side that they need something heavy to offset it. Was it harsh and certainly very hard on Molyneux and possibily the team? Yeah, but look at it the other way, it gave Peter the oportunity to talk much more frankly than usual and shed light on a lot of things. That's journalism.

iMax

Peter Molyneux: I could spend a day a week going on to boards and answering the boards and I could spend half my day doing it. Christ knows how that would work. I mean, I’ve got absolutely zero free time as it is. We won’t see me, John, going round schmoozing and taking five days to go to GDC. I don’t have a social life.

RPS: You tweeted the other day about how much you were enjoying luxuries of the Mayfair Hotel.

Peter Molyneux: Yeah, the Mayfair Hotel, which I went up there because a friend gave me a free, a free suite in the Mayfair Hotel which I didn’t pay for at all, and the reason I was up there was that I had a meeting that finished at 1 o’clock in the morning and then I had a start in the next morning that I went to Casual Connect it was, and I actually met two people – two people – which I helped out charity stuff in the morning. One at 8:30 in the morning, this guy who just got funding from the Welsh council, and one kid from Westminster college who wanted some advice. You can– I’ll tell you what, this is what we’ll do John, I’ll put you on Find A Friend, on Apple, and you can see exactly where I am every moment of my day.

RPS: OK, honestly Peter, I don’t have an Apple product and I don’t want to know where you are at any time.

Damn, Peter's a great creator but he really needs to stay out the press or get some decent media training. This whole interview makes him come across as a disgruntled, defensive, hugely passionate creative. That's not quite what he should portraying.

I can't believe his answer to the KS not raising enough money. He's been in this industry for decades and didn't have the numbers crunched before making the KS?

Damn, Peter's a great creator but he really needs to stay out the press or get some decent media training. This whole interview makes him come across as a disgruntled, defensive, hugely passionate creative. That's not quite what he should portraying.

Kind of a shitty response by Walker regardless. Don't forget that phone interviews transcribe weirdly when not edited.

Dyno

First of all there are a lot of Journalism Experts in this thread - as I expected. People who know exactly how to do an interview and have much criticism regarding Walker's job. This is why I come to the internet, to hear from you experts. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's very generous of you to turn away from an actual career and instead give your time to critiquing how other people do their job. Where would we be without you... besides hanging out in a message board thread with what is obviously our ample free time.

Secondly, Peter deserves to be interviewed like this. He made Curiousity, a game where you buy DLC to remove blocks. It was later revealed that there were an infinite amount of blocks until Molyneux decided to end this particular scam. To the winner a reward was given; a reward to be found in his next game. This new game has not been finished after a very successful Kickstarter and years of work. Now this project is being drawn down while a new project is in the works. Again, Peter deserves to be interviewed like this because a disgusting pattern - laid out above - has been clearly identified.

Third, Peter has gone from running a successful studio, to working with the big boys in the industry, to creating an indie studio, to scamming people on Kickstarter. The trajectory is clear and journalism has nothing to do with it. It seems industry heads - the ones with the money - have made their choice regarding Peter. Now the story is how the public shouldn't trust Peter with their money. I'm glad RPS is covering this descent in the way they are doing. It provides context, it denies Peter cover, and it matches the mood of anyone who's followed this.

Arguably, this interview needed to happen whether we like it or not. True, it could have been done more professionally, but really, could it really go that way? I don't know.

But what I know is that Peter has been "over promising" which is the basically, lying, for almost decades now. One would think he have learn from it, but no, he didn't.

I can forgive people who have learn from their mistakes, but not the one who keeps committing them.

z1ggy

I don´t think every article or interview should be like this one, but with all the shit that happens in this industry i find it ok to be harsh sometimes.

This is more the equivalent of a director being called a liar for a scene in the trial not being in the final cut of a movie than a politician being asked a tough question.
Man. You fucking suck at analogies. That isn't what going on here because in your situation, the director put out a finished product.

flyshow

Oh man, this must be the most epic interview in gaming industry I've ever read. It started like Frost versus Nixon, and when further reading made me think the bestest best words fired by RPS would destroy the other side, the mighty Molyneux successfully prevented it from turning into Dave Skylark versus Kim Jong-un. I want a Game Dev Tycoon sequel featuring this kind of boss fight.

Well if you're still so terrible at properly figuring out your shit in the development then maybe stop promising the fucking moon when you don't know if you can deliver.

It's not the promises that bother me per say. Every company is going to promise the moon. That's part of marketing.

Peter's promises are some flowery kind of bullshit that would get other producers and PR people axed. The Fable 2 acorn line is funny in retrospect, but it adds to his image that is made for him.

He's tries to appear as a hell of a nice guy and someone I didn't expect to hold onto working in the business. I'd much rather see David Cage out than PM, but David Cage isn't incompetent. PM is.

When has a game ever met its deadline and been 100% ready?

He should have allowed extra time for contingencies and budgeted accordingly.

This guy is a moron, he has no clue how to run a studio or make a game, he makes ridiculous overblown promises and the poor producers and developers have to try make good on his promises, they are the ones that get fired when they cant meet it and Molyneux survives another day thinking he is the messiah.

I'm glad someone called him out on his bullshit and knocked him down a peg or two.

BOLDED for emphasis. How does any project manager not do this?

He knows how to make a game, but he doesn't know how to run a business or manage a studio.

Leading an interview off asking the person if they think they are a pathological liar and then feigning surprise over people reading the tone as negative seems somewhat dishonest on Walker's part.

Oh it's not surprise , the tone was set already ... you're in to ask questions so you set the tone ... if the person in front of you disagree , you can either press on or clarify your question.

He clarified.

I mean the question clearly took peter off guard , i'll give you that BUT that's not dishonnest ... the same way it was peter right to answer back and defend his case ( something he did )

The pathological liar surely was said and wrote by MANY before the interview and EVEN in the interview peter and john both agree that there is Molyneux reputation that need some explanation in order to clear this mess of kickstarters.

Isn't that why peter agreed to the interview ? isn't that why john did the interview ?

I might have felt sorry for Molyneux if I hadn't learned that he was a dick on more than one occasion. The amazing thing is reading through his origins and realizing that he was a con artist from the start.

Axass

No it feels morally wrong to do what he did with the whole Curiosity/Godus project, he took people's money through lies. The interviewer just asked a bunch of questions and Molyneux could have simply said "no comment" or deny the interview all together.

Why was RPS so confrontational? Sure, Peter doesn't live up to his ambition a lot, but he certainly didn't deserve to be lambasted like this. Most interviews and anything else I've seen of him, he seems like a very sincere dude.

Only he's not guys, how many quotes from the man himself admitting his lies or constantly contradicting himself do you guys need to grasp that? It's incredible.

Top Bottom