• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trial Of Peter Molyneux by RockPaperShotgun

RPS: So why go to people who trust you and trust your reputation and ask them for half a million pounds and say you’re going to finish the game in seven months, when you know you’re not going to?

Peter Molyneux: Because I absolutely believe that and my team believe that. That’s what the creative process is.

RPS: You’re asking me to accept that you know you’ve run late on every game you’ve ever made but you were going to finish this one in a ludicrous and obviously impossible seven months?

Peter Molyneux: No, I didn’t say absolutely we’d be there, I said we’d try to finish it on this time. And why are you beating me up on these dates things? You sound like a publisher.

RPS: It’s three years later! People gave you half a million pounds and you’ve taken their money–

He switches his answers around by the sentence. Guy is just squirmy to me.

I agree but there's a way to state questions in an interview to be professional while still getting the answers you want.

You don't open up an interview with "Are you a pathological liar?" -- The person being interviewed more than likely won't answer any more questions after hearing it.

If you are going to get nothing but lies from a person the question you ask makes little difference.

I agree but there's a way to state questions in an interview to be professional while still getting the answers you want.

You don't open up an interview with "Are you a pathological liar?" -- The person being interviewed more than likely won't answer any more questions after hearing it.

Games journalists being professional? Don't be silly

But it's not kickstarter money he's talking about there, is it? I thought Kickstarter is like donating stuff, if you get screwed, your own fault (unrelated to the Godus kickstarter)?

Read the interview.
RPS: OK but do you not think after this much time that people paid money for a product they haven’t received. Do they at this point deserve their money back – isn’t that just basic business?

Peter Molyneux: No. Because they didn’t buy a product.

RPS: The pledge rewards were certainly a product. Kickstarter’s terms and conditions are explicit that you have to provide those pledge rewards.

Fury451

Banned
Meanwhile on Twitter the dev community is slamming RPS for this interview.

They should be. Honest and direct and emotionally aggressive and confrontational are not the same thing.

They could have just quoted his own statements back and see where he goes. If they didn't like the answer, press on him.

Calling him an outright liar is hugely disrespectful, and this comes from someone sick of his over promising ways.

But they'll get a lot of support.

I do think that when you're a public figure with such a portfolio and you mess up THIS BAD , you kinda need this kind of words in your face for once...

2thepoint

I really don't think they were being hard on him.

He is a pathological liar because he is swimming in a massive pool of lies.

It's about time that people should be put into check. So what if it makes him uncomfortable - it's his actions that cause him to squirm.

I cannot understand anybody who is being an apologist.

As was said previously, it is constantly referenced how close journalists are to publishers and what not.

It's about time some real journalism was done that doesn't involve cosying up and asking pre-prepared questions.

Metro are probably one of the only outlets that actually ask real (no matter how uncomfortable) questions to executives from Sony and Microsoft at E3 or Gamescom.

Most interviews nowadays read like PR press releases.

Good, we need more accountability in this hobby of ours.

I would love for him to get an answer to the problems with 343 and MCC.

Just finished reading this, easily the best interview I have ever read. Brutal, but so on point and never rude.

It seems that Peter is either full of shit, or clearly delusional and just doesn’t realise how much shit he says. Also it seems that he probably suffers from depression or some form of paranoia because of how much he would confront the interviewer about different topics or accuse him of wanting him out of the industry. He must feel that’s what everyone feels like about him. Sad thing is, he has brought it all on himself.

Paskil

Good stuff that people are calling him out on his bullshit. He's gotten a soapbox from the gaming media for too long. Kudos, John Walker.

Can someone who is against the tone of this interview explain why?

People are really, really, really angry and no one else is asking these questions. For me this came across as refreshing and honest. I dont think much of the questions he asked were incredibly unfair. There was no "gotcha" journalism from what im seeing either, hes asking questions based on what Peter M himself has said.

I also find it hilarious he keeps referring to Godus as a new experience thats never been done before when its kinda...not. He makes excuses every answer. He argues semantics every answer. Someone finally tries to lock him down on some real solid answers and now its "too harsh"?

Alx

The page won't load for me. Do they mention the Milo & Kate project ? I'm curious to see if he'll give a few more détails. Not that I think it was a lie either, it's the opposite actually, I'm sure there were many interesting features there, but that most people took for more than it really was.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I think the interview was needlessly confrontational. There is a way to ask the hard questions without coming across like that.

From the quotes, I would tend to agree. It seems that they really want to get to the "liar" conclusion, while Molyneux is obviously overpromising, but probably in good faith. He's not reliable, but I wouldn't call him a liar either.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Really harsh, and most of them are question Molyneux should be prepared to answer at this point. But I think they could have gotten the same information out of him without being totally rude about it.

I wonder how easy it will be to get other developers to do interviews for RPS after this though. I know I would have thought twice before agreeing to do anything with them, if this is what you risk :p

honestly, im never a fan of people actling like dicks in the name of journalism.

you can make whatever the point you want to make, ask the harshest questions and still be polite.

I'm really conflicted about this interview. Yes PM promises way too much, yes Godus is an incomplete and embarrassing product, but I wish John could have asked the hard questions without being a bully.

Yeah, fuck honesty and actions having consequences.
Starting an interview with asking the guy (almost to his face) "Are you a pathological liar" has nothing to do with seeking honest answers. It's just rude and disrespectful. Doesn't matter who the interviewee is

Carcetti

Who... who do you think they are? Robin Hood of the gaming world? It's not like the gaming community is not aware of Peter Molyneux habits of over-hyping his own games...

I think they think they are journalists, doing journalism.

With PR people, politicians, and Peter Molyneux that style of printing the interview (basically, as it is) is also the best way to not let them squirm away. If they dodge the question, people can read the way they dodged it.

I'been a Moly fan since Populous but the man doesn't need softball questions or a pat on the head. He needs a freaking intervention.

salromano

Peter Molyneux: I must have given about fifty thousand hours of interviews and I’m sure if you go back over all of them you could– The only result of this is, I’ve already withdrawn mostly from the press, I’m just going to withdraw completely from the press.

More proof. 50,000 hours is 5.70398 years. No way did Molyneux spend all that time being interviewed.

Hasney

Christ, that opening question made me cringe and it didn't get any better. The whole thing just felt like RPS yelling "YOU'RE A DICK" at them like Bill O'Reilly or some other crappy news show.

I mean, I backed Mansion Lord and they've run off with the money with absolutely no output, but if someone got hold of them to get an interview, I'd at least like the questions to be asked with a civil tone at first rather than starting off by antagonising the subject.

hamchan

Well, you're clearly wrong because that question and many like it were asked, and we now have an amazing, brutal and revealing 1 hour and 15 minute interview with Molyneux as a result.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I disagree. This style of interviewing is absolutely common and expected in business magazines, political magazines and *actual* paperwork journalism basically everywhere. It is not, however, in anything tech related, where interviews are mostly considered free advertising instead of journalistic work.

While I also think this reads harsh, I can't be mad with RPS, they are absolutely right in their way of conducting this interview, and more media that dares to call itself "journalists" should follow suit next time.

If Molyneux didn't prepare for a sob story, but for actual hard questions and telling truths, he would have come out of this way better. Instead he went with "Well now I don't wanna talk to the press anymore", which we all, including the press, easily see to be clearly bullshit.

stryke

But it's not kickstarter money he's talking about there, is it? I thought Kickstarter is like donating stuff, if you get screwed, your own fault (unrelated to the Godus kickstarter)?

What? When you donate, you don't expect to have something in return.

flkraven

Peter made his bed, and while place like IGN continue sucking him off waiting for his next words of wisdom, its good to know at least one place is making him lay in it. I would love to see Molyneux clear up some of his lies/bullshit before going off and making a new set of claims that we are supposed to take as exciting news.

I'm really conflicted about this interview. Yes PM promises way too much, yes Godus is an incomplete and embarrassing product, but I wish John could have asked the hard questions without being a bully.

Counter point;

people that are pathological liars take advantage of social courtesy to lie. Sweeping the niceties under the rug actually disallows people from lying so easily.

I don't see a problem with these questions at all considering people's money is being messed with and he's a person who has a history of being untrustworthy.

I think people are simply too used to CNN style interviews where the interviews acts like they're terrified of the person they're interviewing and will do anything possible not to upset them too much.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why are you people defending Peter Molyneux? Why shouldn't he be asked these questions?

This is the stuff that needs to be asked. At this point Molyneux comes across as a con man or snake oil salesman.

Foffy

Banned
Damn, I love direct interviews like this. None of that cut, fluffy nonsense. Really right to the point. I am absolutely in love someone called out all of Peter's bluffs. He's really caught in his own bubble..

This week might be the bursting of it.

Lanrutcon

Starting an interview with asking the guy (almost to his face) "Are you a pathological liar" has nothing to do with seeking honest answers. It's just rude and disrespectful. Doesn't matter who the interviewee is

Completely disagree. The fact that you think there's no-one who could ever deserve disrespect means you're pretty naive.

Top Bottom