• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

Leave voters: if you need some help negotiating some huge deals with the EU for your exit terms, oh boy do we have the man for you! You can even keep him when you're done, too!

Remain voters: I wish you the best of luck for the coming days.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Fear and xenophobia won. It's a sad day.

nAk3fya.jpg

And the rest of Europe:

dzyrUl2.gif

I really don't think that there will be much enthusiasm on the EU's part to accommodate Britain with new deals or an opportunity to rejoin in a few years, like some are suggesting.

No, they're not going to cut any kind of good deal for the UK. They don't want to set a precedent for the rest of the EU members. It's gonna be shit city.

Tak3n

Banned
Interesting.

Apparently immigration was the prime factor behind this decision to leave.

Eastern Europeans and Muslim refugees had the UK that terrified.

I said in old thread, we had cities voting to leave which have huge immigrant communities, so immigrants voting for no more immigration..

That should tell you everything

But they also said they want to make immediate changes before the UK actually leaves the EU, such as curbing the power of EU judges and limiting the free movement of workers, potentially in breach the UK's treaty obligations.
The government will also have to negotiate its future trading relationship with the EU and fix trade deals with non-EU countries.
this will play out well. If UK violates the EU treaty now and the UK gets to benefit from the single market for the next 2 years.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
One incredible thing we now have is political parties that absolutely do not represent who follow them, could be 2 resignations and re-elections and a bunch of MP's who voted contrary to the majority of their constituency.

Madness

This is further evidence that Donald Trump has a high chance of winning in November.

Emotion is the great equalizer against logic and rational thinking. Throughout history we have seen this. But I think unlike the UK, the #'s just aren't there for Trump.

The UK pollsters need to realize why they have now bungled two straight major votes. Either they are not asking the right questions or just not talking to the right people or pushing their own agenda. As soon as I saw the Sunderland leave results and how off the polls were I knew Brexit was happening.

azyless

I still can't believe it. I went to bed when the first reports stated Remain would be ahead and I wake up to this shitshow. Cameron truly fucked up. Good luck to brits.

For someone who doesn't live in Europe and barely manages his own financial wealth properly, can someone ELI5 the good and the bad?
Bad. Companies are pulling out of the U.K. Because trade is no longer free. The GBP has taken a 10% hit. Lots of job losses and a possible breakup of the U.K. Is near. Because Scotland and Ireland want to stay in the EU. Congrats England, you chose to leave to preserve the UK and you only caused it to implode.

Griss

The voice of the people has been heard. As a lover of pure democracy, referenda are always a beautiful thing. So, despite the result utterly fucking me now and well into the future as an Irishman, congrats to you Brits. Congrats and enjoy it.

Time for the rest of us to fix our shitty EU so that Spain, the Netherlands, Greece etc don't all follow suit next time there's some economic trouble.

Pretty much. Say goodbye to the United Kingdom.
Exactly. In fact, Scotland had a referendum last year in which the "remain" option won only because they would still be part of the EU. Since the UK is no longer a member of the EU, England has no argument against Scotland to remain a member of the UK.

The same can be said about Northern Ireland.

So long UK....it was glorious while it lasted. I give the union 2 years at most. Maybe less.

I voted remain, I feel depressed, I am crying right now, the result is a disaster. A campaign built on racism and lies has won.

I am honestly considering moving to Ireland before this takes effect, we have a two year transitional window.

Realyn

On the other side of the coin (And I didnt vote Leave) calling people stupid, racist, idiotic or any other variation for not agreeing with you is not exactly the best route forward. The people who voted leave did not vote for anyone to lose their jobs and to assume they did it out of malice is just naive.

If you want to be angry its better directed at the people who influenced their decisions, if you so think they were influenced, people get their information from somewhere and their arguments were obviously more persuasive, be they good or bad.

In a perfect world the first part of your post might be true. And for the record, the following is my opinion and it might be right or maybe it isn't.

The reason people are being called stupid and idiotic is because ... they probably are. Ask 100 voters the typical questions. Why vote yes/no? What are the consequences?

This is a pretty big historic event. If you vote to leave the EU and possibly disband the UK you better have a fucking good reason to do so. Even the people they got their information from have no fucking clue what's going to happen! It's fair to say that a portion of voters had the "Fuck you! Fuck everbody!" Trump mentality. And yes, in that case it would be out of malice. Those people exist and I'm not sure why you call him naive.

edit formating sorry

Scotland needs another independence referendum. Once again we do not get what we vote for. 'No' voters were mis-sold promises of EU membership. This is a truly disgusting day for Scottish voters.

Shiggy

Cannot wait for the response by Schulz and Junker. It won't be a nice one, and the upcoming negotiations will lead to a rude awakening in the UK if the hard-line stance of German politicians are anything to go by. You want to reap the benefits, then you need to take the common rules and responsibilities, as easy as that.

And the rest of Europe:

dzyrUl2.gif

I really don't think that there will be much enthusiasm on the EU's part to accommodate Britain with new deals or an opportunity to rejoin in a few years, like some are suggesting.

The EU just lost its third biggest economy. They may attempt to be non accommodating to make others not want to leave but they need the UK as well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Reposting from last thread since thread was closed.

nAk3fya.jpg

It was bound to happen tbh after the insane Paris attacks. People are scared and fear wins.

The funny thing is that the British have had south asian (or Pakistani) imimigrants for decades now. Three generations born and raised in the U.K so they should be used to them. They should know not all muslims are evil. But nope, they let ISIS win.

You guys can come to the U.S. Queen Hillary's got your back.

Lautaro

After the last terrorists attacks we were all waiting for the US response when we should have looked at the UK too.

Fear and hate can make you vote against your own interests, it seems.

Chiggs

Interesting.

Apparently immigration was the prime factor behind this decision to leave.

Eastern Europeans and Muslim refugees had the UK that terrified.

There was real animosity toward immigrants and their impact on the job markets. I remember some of my ex-pat friends commenting on this back in 2011/2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom