• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Umihara Kawase games have been delisted from Steam

Jazz573

I almost missed out on Shun, but bought it from Humble.

I've somehow known about the first game since I was young, I don't even know how I found out about it, but they've always fascinated me. Happy to own them now, sad to see the developer go under. D:
Developer didn't go under. The publisher did.

So, from what I understand...

The Vita version is the original SNES version and a remake of the SNES game.

The DS version is the original SNES game and a PS1 game together.

Which of these two options is ideal?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Vita game is a third entry into the series along with an enhanced port of the original with additional features added.

Eila

How were the UmiKawase and UmiKawase Shun ports, anyway? I meant to wait until they went 75% off, but alas.

Bog

Junior Ace
Grabbed the vita version today too.

I was waiting on a sale but I didn't realize it was only $20 in the first place.

Dineren

Banned
Wish I had realized this was happening sooner. I grabbed the HB, but it is out of keys so I assume I'll eventually get refunded. Hopefully more keys magically turn up though.

Thud

That's pretty sad. One of the few skill based platformers. I have it on Vita, but I was one sale away from buying this on PC as well.

Was lucky to have been able to grab them a few days ago on sale. Acted quickly when I heard about the bankruptcy. Good luck to the ones trying to grab them right now.

For now, sayonara

Well this is unexpected. Nintendo of Europe are pretty good at giving software removal notices for known takedown (Tetris and Tetris last year) but from what I can gather nothing on the eShop but there is nothing stopping Nintendo from pulling games without warning (that is basically what they did to Cubic Ninja in Japan, IIRC the notice went up after the removal) should they need to following this.

Since the developer is still around could a re-release be possible? Though I can't be certain which versions they will focus on so if you have a particular favorite go for that. Also am I right in thinking non AGATSUMA published ones are unaffected?

Momentary

Banned
I'm sure some other company will step up to the plate. What is this talk of CoP not coming to STEAM. I thought a different company was publishing it.

Eolz

Well this is unexpected. Nintendo of Europe are pretty good at giving software removal notices for known takedown (Tetris and Tetris last year) but from what I can gather nothing on the eShop but there is nothing stopping Nintendo from pulling games without warning (that is basically what they did to Cubic Ninja in Japan, IIRC the notice went up after the removal) should they need to following this.

Since the developer is still around could a re-release be possible? Though I can't be certain which versions they will focus on so if you have a particular favorite go for that. Also am I right in thinking non AGATSUMA published ones are unaffected?

Nintendo/Sony/MS only remove games without notice when there's a possible exploit and it's dangerous for them to let it up, like Cubic Ninja.
I'm sure there will be a re-release, this is not the first time they have problems with publishers.

BTA

Ugh, I already own this on 3DS but was waiting to double dip on Vita or PC. For $20 or $30, I'm not going for it even with the delisting imminent. This is really disappointing, even if nothing can be done.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Ugh, I already own this on 3DS but was waiting to double dip on Vita or PC. For $20 or $30, I'm not going for it even with the delisting imminent. This is really disappointing, even if nothing can be done.

You know you're getting three games for that price, right?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
With GMG and it's 20% off code, I decided to get the 2 games they have there, since they seem to be the best in series, and the 20% off makes the price equal that of the PSVita release.

For now, I think I'll wait to see if Shun returns with a relisting later on. I was SO CLOSE to buying the full collection when it was originally on sale, but I'm happy with the 2 purchases. Finally get to play the games! (Though I'm sorry to hear what's happened with Agatsuma, and I really hope Code of Princess releases on Steam.)

If you're referring to the western releases, I don't think this is right.

The 3DS game is the first release of the 3rd game of the series. It runs bad in 3D mode, better in normal mode, but rarely 60fps, I believe.

The Vita Version is that same 3rd release, and includes the SNES game as well, for the first time in the west. It runs 60 fps (all the time?), and was the preferred release before PC.

Neither of these include Shun, which was a PS1 sequel that was made by a different dev originally. Shun, however, has had a load of revisions and re-releases, to improve it's quality, as it released buggy, and with some odd unliked ads and cinematics.

The version that reached Steam fof game 2 is the best version of it, with the best framerate, physics, replacement of the ads with static pictures of our heroine, and all the extras that were produced between versions. In the west, it's exclusive to PC.

If I've got this wrong somewhere, please correct, Umihara fans!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Were these games any good?

Yes, they're like puzzle-platform fun Fish-Monger-Commando. They have a fun physics fishing pole-turned-grappling hook system that'll make you feel awesome when you master it. They have hidden pathways that lead to warp zone, and multiple endings!

A very classic-style series that's gameplay first, fluff later.

I thought this might be a mistake of "calling the 3DS a DS", since this thread focuses on the delisting.

But yeah, if it's the physical eastern releases, then no issues.

GUN-NAC

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Different teams but still with Kiyoshi Sakai and Toshinobu Kondo.

Credits at mobygames -
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/umihara-kawase
http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/umihara-kawase-shun

Ok, so only Shun Portable was developed without Sakai, then? He had his hand in the base game, but not that version? (just going by Wikipedia here.)

Umihara Kawase Portable was not developed by Super Famicom and PS version developer, Kiyoshi Sakai, instead being developed by Rocket Studio.

Once we get to Shun-Kanzeban, everthing is nice and dandy again.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, pretty much. There was never an official team/studio for these games for most of their life but the core of Sakai & Kondo has been there for every game (aside from the PSP port) and there weren't many others involved to begin with.

I'm thinking of nabbing the Vita version, because the original SNES game is included and the ingame graphics are not questionable like the cover. I think this is something I'll regret not buying.

But, and this is a serious question, what does the app icon look like? It's not a schoolgirl bust or anything, is it?

I, for one, appreciate the cover art and am somewhat disappointed it doesn't represent the in-game model of the vita version more.

JohnCYQ

Hi, simple question here.

The Umihara Kawase games are not available in my region (Singapore), what happens if I bought it via Humble Bundle and redeem the keys? Would the games work or would I just be wasting my money?

Eila

Hi, simple question here.

The Umihara Kawase games are not available in my region (Singapore), what happens if I bought it via Humble Bundle and redeem the keys? Would the games work or would I just be wasting my money?

They'd work alright.
Also, apparently they're out of keys for the Umihara Kawase Trilogy but they will restock, if you plan on buying them all.

batfax

Wow, glad I got them as a gift during the sale, as well as got a badge for the first game since I like the series enough and was just hocking all the free cards from the sale. Cards from Sayonara are now going for like, over a dollar.

Eila

Wow, glad I got them as a gift during the sale, as well as got a badge for the first game since I like the series enough and was just hocking all the free cards from the sale. Cards from Sayonara are now going for like, over a dollar.

Will they really? I mean, you can still craft them, right?
I wonder who gets the royalties of unlisted games market trades.

Someone actually put a decent amount of work into the Steam cards and emoticons

There's some cool art in there

b86e7aed097dd30a8d6b59c5445f0bc32659d432.jpg

Eolz

I'm on greenmangaming, should I buy the original or the third game?

If you can only buy one, I'd say the latest. I prefer the first one, but this one is available on a lot of platforms
and you can emulate it if needed
. Both are recommended.

If you can only buy one, I'd say the latest. I prefer the first one, but this one is available on a lot of platforms
and you can emulate it if needed
. Both are recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation! I ended up buying both as I just got paid, and I knew I'd regret it if I didn't buy both.

Grabbed the Steam trilogy yesterday, is the 3DS one the worst port of the currently available versions? It's as expensive to buy as the full trilogy was on Steam via HB. I would like a handheld version of the game, is Vita my best option?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Grabbed the Steam trilogy yesterday, is the 3DS one the worst port of the currently available versions? It's as expensive to buy as the full trilogy was on Steam via HB. I would like a handheld version of the game, is Vita my best option?

Well it has the least amount content and half the framerate so I'd get the Vita version which also includes the enhanced port of the first game as well.

Top Bottom