• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge - Best handheld gaming system

Ogawa-san

Obligatory disclaimer: I have both systems.

I consider every 3DS game I like a victim of inappropriate hardware (in many ways), archaic OS and, well... Nintendo's general inability to come play with everyone else in the 21st century.

Saying Vita is a better handheld doesn't say much, the 3DS is a toy. A toy with great games thanks to Nintendo's infinite handheld momentum, but still a toy.

meppi

^
Well to be fair, in reality all video game systems are toys, even though a lot of people want to pretend they are not for various reasons.
Embarrassment factor for instance towards friends/family members.

salty nfans the thread.

Brilliant post! Bravo!

From the 13 replies in the thread, only 3 disagreed with the article. So there has to be a ton of Nintendo salt in here, right? SMH

The Vita not appealing to certain people on the board must mean they are all rabid Nintendo fanboys looking for any possibility to take a crap all over the Vita. It just has to be.
It certainly has nothing to do with the majority of the gaming enthousiasts worldwide ignoring it as a whole and option for a different system instead.

I personally love my Vita. I would have 4 systems, including one imported from Japan if I didn't. Yet I go back and forth between it and the 3DS.
My 3DS didn't get any playtime for over 6 months this past year, as I played nothing but Vita games. Yet for the past couple of months I have barely touched my Vita and played a ton of 3DS games.
Doesn't mean it won't flip around again in the future as I jump back into my huge backlog or get hooked on new releases.

Both are great systems in their own right and both of them deserve to sell much better than they do IMO. But yeah, one side must always be the "superior choice" while the other gets labeled as being shit and collecting dust. sigh.

Vita would be better if it had more exclusive titles and the memory card prices weren't crazy. I'm a nintendo fanboy though so what do I know. My vita currently is just a minecraft and half minute hero machine. My 3ds by far gets the bulk of my gaming time.

Do much prefer the vita os though. And that oled. Mmmmm.

Eusis

It's really kind of win-win to me between Vita and 3DS.

Mind, I would buy a Vita over a 3DS right now, but that's more to do with the New 3DS coming whenever in NA and EU. Which means it's just whichever in Japan and Australia.

RE_Player

It's all a matter of taste. I have a Vita and 3DS and while I vastly prefer my Vita the 3DS is still an incredible handheld. I'd argue the Vita and 3DS are better than their predecessors, PSP and DS.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I really like my Vita, but I can't say I agree. The 3DS is simply unbelievably amazing. I dare say I put my 3DS XL above the DSi, even.

Rezae

Owner of 3DS, Vita, and have gamed with both Android and IOS.

Agree completely. My Vita was my most played system of last year and this year until it broke a few months back. 3DS has been collecting dust for the most part the past few years outside of an occasional exclusive I'll plow through and then back it goes on the shelf for months. I have been warming up more to mobile titles lately though too.

Good for Vita getting the crown here it really deserves to be doing better than it currently is. But lol at the site dumping any cred the test might have had, by throwing mobile into the mix.

Vita rules, just haven't had a 'must play' game on it for a while. I was engrossed by Persona 4, but it needs more heavy hitters like that to stay relevant. Overall, I've had more quality experiences with the 3DS, despite its technical lacking because it has tremendous software support.

faridmon

What the hell? Are they gonna ignore all those games 3DS has and its digital indies as well.

The system itself is also great.

Nokterian

Vita for me also Remote Play is the best thing ever. People are still stunned when i show them that i am playing a PS4 game on my handheld.

I'm sitting here playing my Vita right now, and I have to disagree. Is it the system with the most wasted potential? Hell yes. But in order to be the best, you need games, and unfortunately the Vita is lacking in that regard.

Don't get me wrong the Vita has some great games, it just doesn't have the a library with the depth of the 3DS.

Final Fantasy 1 through 10-2 and 2 versions of tactics, Metal Gear 1 - MGS3 and PW, RE 1-3, Jak, Daxter, Ratchet, Clank, GoW, Sly, etc, etc, etc.

Vita has most of the PS1 classics and a bunch of PS2 HD remasters. It lacks for new exclusives, not depth.

I personnaly vastly prefer my Vita over my 3DS but it might be because I have owned one way longer then the over so I have way more games on it. Both still have fantastic libraries.

Brilliant post! Bravo!

From the 13 replies in the thread, only 3 disagreed with the article. So there has to be a ton of Nintendo salt in here, right? SMH

The Vita not appealing to certain people on the board must mean they are all rabid Nintendo fanboys looking for any possibility to take a crap all over the Vita. It just has to be.
It certainly has nothing to do with the majority of the gaming enthousiasts worldwide ignoring it as a whole and option for a different system instead.

One of them was Majestad though.

The Verge is spot on with their evaluation of the hardware and its functionality with Remote Play etc. However, I do feel the software library is slightly stronger on 3ds. The Nintendo exclusives/IP play excellently as handheld games.

Owzers

3ds' library is vastly overrated to me, nor does it get many new releases, so i mainly play a couple indie games on vita or whatever is on ps+ each month. I love vita's screen, it's a huge plus, especially when going between that and 3ds.

Krakn3Dfx

Vita gets less games but when a game comes to the system, you know 9 times out of 10 if a developer is taking the time, it's going to be worthwhile. 3DS library is 90% shit like Dora and Spongebob or crappy Lego ports.

I would take my Vita over my 3DS XL all day long, I just wish it had more support.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hardwade and "potential" doesn't mean much when it's tied to that library.

Especially when the 3DS library is one of the best ever.
I don't love the 3DS library QUITE as much as you, but I fully agree with this sentiment. I'm glad I have a Vita, but I play my 3DS all the time.

Eusis

It's all a matter of taste. I have a Vita and 3DS and while I vastly prefer my Vita the 3DS is still an incredible handheld. I'd argue the Vita and 3DS are better than their predecessors, PSP and DS.
I'm sure this applies to some extent EVERY generation, but it'd probably have been way better if we had this kind of hardware last gen. This may apply more than usual (outside of Nintendo's last two consoles anyway) purely because of the market shift for portables, they'd have probably held their ground better or at least we'd get some more fully realized PSP games and a proper SM64 portable port.

Both my Vita and my 3DS have been collecting dust. Taste in games is subjective. I do think the Vita is a better modern piece of electronics. It's nice having a handheld that has a 2009 OS and 2011 hardware. That's what I think they're basing this off of.

Doesn't touch the GOAT PSP though. The PSP after its initial slow year became an incredible, timely piece of kit.

Eusis

Just Sturgeon's Law. The only reason the shittiest should matter is either if the library is THAT small or you're forced to play every game for some god forsaken reason.

EDIT: I do suspect Lego fans are better served with Vita though, but that's usually the case when we have significantly weaker hardware that'd get the shaft anyway.

I would have owned a Vita a long time ago if Sony hadn't gone with proprietary memory. Really wanted that white Vita bundle a year or two back.

lyrick

Wow that wasn't expected!

Fuck I'm still waiting for a single game on that platform to interest me.

I love both the 3DS and the Vita, but for opposite reasons.

3DS has an amazing first party library with shit hardware.
Vita has amazing hardware with a shit first party library.

My Vita gets way more play though, especially since I started playing FFXIV again. Remote play on that thing is freaking glorious. While the Vita-exclusive library is weak, the rest of the cross-play/ports/PS1 Classics/remote play makes up for it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I adore my portable PS1.

I traded in my old XL for the persona 3ds xl because its pretty but that's been the only time it's even been off the cradle in like 9 months

god damn disappointment of a system for me(that persona one is real pretty tho)

Ipad is rarely used for games except shit like crossy roads for about 2 days then back to being for comics

vita got a lot more play until I bought a house now it has so many games I want to play but would rather play on my TV (might get a vita tv to solve this issue)

EDIT: I do suspect Lego fans are better served with Vita though, but that's usually the case when we have significantly weaker hardware that'd get the shaft anyway.

Only very recently. Before the newest lego batman(maybe marvel?) the vita only got ports of the 3ds versions. It was a real sad situation

One of them was Majestad though.

Literally salt incarnate

I have a love hate relationship with my VITA, I love the games but due to spending too much on PSN sales I also hate it. Seriously VITA is an awesome little system and with all the deals on PSN and 'freebies' on PS+ you get a lot of value. I probably own more games on VITA than on any gaming system I've owned in >10 years, I don't finish most but that's ok. Lots of stuff to choose from.

I absolutely love my Vita, use it on a daily basis. The games on it are so much fun, remote playing destiny while in bed is epic as hell especially that you don't need to use that rear touch pad. I also love that I could party chat with Vita & ps4 users concurrently.

Puru

I can't say i disagree to be honest.
Kinda sad what is happening to the device and how it is perceived though, but that's life.

Top Bottom