• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

TEJ

So, I rewatched The Lion King 2 Simbas Pride

The good

-Kovu and Kiara make a cute couple
-Some of the songs are pretty decent, with "he lives in you" being the best one
-the animation is pretty good for a disney dtv release
-the line 'We'll run away together! And start a pride... all our own" got a big laugh from me.
-zira was not a bad villain at all

the bad

-where was sarabi and sarafina?
-nala was barely in the movie
-Vitani lacked a personality.
-simba was such an arsehole in this movie.
-going from rowen atkinson to whoever voiced zazu? huge downgrade.

The ugly

-Nuka. good lord I hate this character
-upendi. urf.

golem

Magic Kingdom

Ive only been to the one at Disneyland but the setup is this--

You get a wristband when you enter the park, after 7pm they kick everyone without a wristband out.
You can wear a costume
They have trick or treat stands around the park handing out candy
Disney Villians walk around and other characters participate in events
Attractions are given halloween decoration

Christopher

Ive only been to the one at Disneyland but the setup is this--

You get a wristband when you enter the park, after 7pm they kick everyone without a wristband out.
You can wear a costume
They have trick or treat stands around the park handing out candy
Disney Villians walk around and other characters participate in events
Attractions are given halloween decoration

Worth it for 60???

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Worth it for 60???

I didn't attend Mickey's Halloween party (my fiancée went last year with some friends), but she enjoyed it. Golem's description is spot on for the special events though (we went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in Disney World last year). If you want to be in the park with an extremely reduced number of guests, I'd say it is absolutely worth it. I would be happy to do the Christmas Party again as the touches (hot chocolate and cookies throughout the park, "snow" on Main Street, Christmas carolers) were well done.

Worth it for 60???

I'm not one to do character meet and greets unless the lines are short or it's for a meal or something but they tend to have the longest waits of anything at these hard ticket events. I like to take pictures of them when I can though. I like going to the one in Disneyland because people dress up more there, and dressing up as something Disney related can lead to a lot of fun guest interactions. That said, I personally think it's worth the money if you don't have a lot of time to spend as a whole at WDW. Some people like to take a day off of their length-of-stay tickets to absorb the cost of one of these events, as you can enter the park as soon as 4pm even though the event doesn't actually start until 7pm. You still don't get a whole day in the park but the lines are usually very, very short even on nights that are sold out. You should be able to do almost everything, but they do close some attractions. They are fairly minor, like the Carousel of Progress, or restaurants like Be Our Guest.

The party at Magic Kingdom does have an actual parade, unlike the one at Disneyland, and it's extremely well done. They both have great fireworks, probably my most favorite. There are several other events they have around the park, like stage performances. Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain at MK don't get the Nightmare Before Christmas and Ghost Galaxy layovers like at Disneyland. If you like candy, you'll get it by the handful.

TEJ

i wish I could join in with the DW discussions :(

anyway, captain america the winter soldier is out on blu ray in less than 2 weeks, get hyped!

Borman

MNSCHP is one of the best things I have spent money on at the Magic Kingdom. The park empties out compared to a normal day. The villians are all out, some that you rarely see. I wore a Ghostbusters costume, no pack though, and people loved it. Worth every penny.

daydream

Banned
That would be great!

Ok, here goes:

1, 2, 3, 4

These are not all my Disney comics, mind. Not even close, actually. I have tons more in various formats, both in German and Greek. Some are packed away in boxes, some aren't. Also, some duplicates. Funny story about that - I got a lot of LTBs from my godmother. One of her neighbours worked at Egmont (the publisher of LTB) and she always brought her remaindered copies which my godmother forwarded on to me. They were in pretty alright condition, though, usually.

The last row are special editions, in case you're wondering. Those were pretty awesome, combining comics from old LTBs with new ones, all of them following a specific theme (e.g. space, western, vacation, etc.). The "Enten-Editionen" (duck editions) follow the same structure, but only include comics featuring the Duck family, so I definitely preferred those. And then there's Christmas editions, of course. All of these special editions/compilations were awesome btw, I loved 'em.

Also, I just found out that LTB are all(?) available digitally now. I personally prefer print, but still, that's pretty cool: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/lustiges-taschenbuch/id442668788?mt=8

Anyway, glad I got to talk about LTB some. I'll shut up now. :p

Seeing Stitch coming for Disney Infinity 2 made me feel like and watching it again.
God it was so good but is almost always forgotten about, heck I forgot how much I liked it.

Christopher

MNSCHP is one of the best things I have spent money on at the Magic Kingdom. The park empties out compared to a normal day. The villians are all out, some that you rarely see. I wore a Ghostbusters costume, no pack though, and people loved it. Worth every penny.

So it's not as crowded and we could get some photos with the villians???

xeris

So it's not as crowded and we could get some photos with the villians???

Depends on what night you have. 31st and the few nights before can be packed. Now till early October will have a fair amount of people but somewhat doable. The thing to remember is it's a hard-ticket event so the flow of people can work a bit different. For example, you don't have a constant stream of "replacement" people like you do during the day.

TEJ

Since it's appropriate here, who else is looking forward to kingdom hearts 2.5 HD and KH3? I know I have KH2.5 on preorder and my purchase of an x1 or PS4 depends on when KH3 comes out.

Christopher

Depends on what night you have. 31st and the few nights before can be packed. Now till early October will have a fair amount of people but somewhat doable. The thing to remember is it's a hard-ticket event so the flow of people can work a bit different. For example, you don't have a constant stream of "replacement" people like you do during the day.

Yeah were going to Epcot September and either October 16 or 17 for the Halloween party what day do you say?

Since it's appropriate here, who else is looking forward to kingdom hearts 2.5 HD and KH3? I know I have KH2.5 on preorder and my purchase of an x1 or PS4 depends on when KH3 comes out.
I won't look forward to it for a while yet. We're not getting a whiff of the game until late 2016 at the earliest.

xeris

Yeah were going to Epcot September and either October 16 or 17 for the Halloween party what day do you say?

Personal preference would be the 16th for crowds since that's a Thursday. Friday is an arrival day and a lot of people like to start their trip with the MK so those tend to fill up faster. As an aside, my family is going to be at the party on the 9th. This'll be the second time for our son (he's 4).

The Halloween Parties, and other hard ticket events usually cap out around 40,000 tickets, which is comparable to a slow day (middle of the week when younin's are in school).

Just remember, most people are also going to be doing all the special themed events and not so much on the rides or usual stuff. Pirates and Haunted Mansion of course stay busy.

I always watched the fireworks from castle hub, to the left of the partners statue. Then stayed there while some one got food/snacks nearby and waited for the parade to come. We'd sit right in front of the Liberty Square bridge.

Most people with little ones tend to file out after watching the first parade/fireworks. Look up maps from years past to see where there are special things happening. Where particular characters show up. Some areas have two to three characters in a row. In adventureland, one of the old restaurants get themed to like three sets of characters. In the past its been timon and rafakii, tarzan and jane, and jack sparrow. They also give away candy. For the villians, they come down after the stage show for about 20 minutes. Pay attention to the character attendants, and get in line before the show is over. The lines usually close off shortly after they open. If you want them all, you probably need to watch the show 3-4 times. Photopass is not present for this (last I know of) because the characters are equity performers (different union than the meet and greet ones).

The Fab Five also have special costumes for these events. Then the dance parties are great to get candid shots with the character. The characters will not pose or sign autographs during these. Stitch is in Tomorrowland at Cosmic Rays dressed in his Elvis outfit.

TEJ

At least there's KH 2.5, Big Hero 6, Avengers AoU, Ant-Man, Tomorrowland, Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur to keep us busy!

yeah yeah

but I haven't been to disneyworld since i was 5

and i'm not only going for a whole week, but at a deluxe hotel too. gonna be f'ing sweet, gonna save a few hundred dollars for merchandise.

yeah yeah

but I haven't been to disneyworld since i was 5

and i'm not only going for a whole week, but at a deluxe hotel too. gonna be f'ing sweet, gonna save a few hundred dollars for merchandise.

I still haven't been to any Disneyland or World :(

When I go to Disneyland Paris, I'm gonna probably spend a looot of money!

Gallbaro

Banned
Just did Halloween party. Awesome, but for those with kids, you are either seeing jack or the dwarfs, not both.

On bus back to rocking one bedroom Savannah view.

Just finished my first day of my 5-day Disneyland trip and it is pretty slow. The parks are closing at 8pm but nothing is longer than a 10 minute wait except a few meet and greets. Got a lot done today already. I almost don't like how smooth Big Thunder is now lol, but all of the additions are great. Seems like quite a few attractions got some small additions since last I've been here. I checked out the GotG preview even though I've seen the movie. It was neat but I loved the sign out in front. Made it look like it was an actual GotG attraction.

botty

Banned
Just finished my first day of my 5-day Disneyland trip and it is pretty slow. The parks are closing at 8pm but nothing is longer than a 10 minute wait except a few meet and greets. Got a lot done today already. I almost don't like how smooth Big Thunder is now lol, but all of the additions are great. Seems like quite a few attractions got some small additions since last I've been here. I checked out the GotG preview even though I've seen the movie. It was neat but I loved the sign out in front. Made it look like it was an actual GotG attraction.

have you tried the turkey leg?

I just spend 3 days at DL and it was lovely. I feel like the post-Eisner era is gearing into full tilt - I actually saw a new speciality shop in New Orleans Square that had been a vinylmation/pin store just last year! And yeah, Big Thunder is really smooth now, and the
fire projection effect is really weird, what with there being no heat whatsoever.

And as another discussion point, since Club 33 had a massive renovation I overheard multiple (10+) conversations about it at the parks in 3 days, whereas I hadn't really ever heard anyone discussing it more than a few times in 10 or so years of annual visits before. I hope this isn't a sign of proof that the changes are too blatant. :( Would be a huge shame for the secret to be absolutely gone.

TEJ

I started saving up for my disneyworld trip next year. I am so excited.

I'm staying at the shades of green resort, for 7 days. Gonna take a bunch of pictures, will share them of course.

I dunno what rides I want to ride. Not much of a ride person anyway, but I will be going to a lot of places.

Christopher

So we ended up going to Sea World and it was pretty interesting. Never been there before.

Going to Micky's Halloween Party next month on the 16th if anyone wants to go hopefully its not busy

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh a Disney thread! Wife and I are pretty obsessed. We go every year (this year, we went in March for her birthday, going in October for mine, and going AGAIN in February for her Princess Half Marathon).

Anyways, staying at the Boardwalk in October. Being that close to Food and Wine is going to be insaaaaane. So excited! Also doing the MNSSHP on Tuesday night. Wife made me a Kristoff costume, and she bought an Anna costume. Pretty excited for that, too.

Question for anyone who's been recently - do they sell Tsum Tsum's in the parks anywhere?

Ayumi

Probably going to Disney Sea on Monday if the weather allows it. Only been at Disneyland (Paris/Tokyo), so I'm not sure what to expect. All I know for now is that you can drink alcohol publicly inside!

Christopher

So I did something bad...

I'm going to the Halloween Party AND the Christmas Party.

I love the holidays, and I love Disney...as someone who had literally almost next to nothing growing up it's nice that I can take my family out and not feel broke.

Questions again for my Disney Army:

My wife's concerned about not being able to do any rides when we go to the Not So Scary Halloween Party, we can go in the gates at 4, and then if I'm correct stay until 12 and in that time frame can we ride rides or only at 7?

Do you think we have time to do the Party, Parade, and take pictures with characters, I love taking the pictures but everyone watns to do everything as well...so what do you guys think and who do you think will be there?

Christmas Party

I can't wait this one will probably be even more magical...same routine as the Halloween one I'm assuming?

TEJ

whenever people talk about going to disneyworld on a regular basis like it's nothing, I feel so jealous. Still, I will be going next summer so.....hell yeah!

I love the holidays, and I love Disney...as someone who had literally almost next to nothing growing up it's nice that I can take my family out and not feel broke.

My wife's concerned about not being able to do any rides when we go to the Not So Scary Halloween Party, we can go in the gates at 4, and then if I'm correct stay until 12 and in that time frame can we ride rides or only at 7?

Do you think we have time to do the Party, Parade, and take pictures with characters, I love taking the pictures but everyone watns to do everything as well...so what do you guys think and who do you think will be there?

Christmas Party

I can't wait this one will probably be even more magical...same routine as the Halloween one I'm assuming?
There are two parades for each party with the second one being the least crowded. Attractions will be walk-ons for most so do that at your leisure. If you want to meet characters I would make that your priority. For Christmas, the seven dwarfs will be the most popular. It will be a meeting of all seven at once.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

Christmas Party

We did the halloween party and it was great.. there aren't THAT many people there (We were there on halloween night last year, and they only sell so many tickets), so rides were essentially walk-on.. we did the haunted mansion like four times that night. It was amazing.

Seriously, hit up the early parade, and then rock out for the rest of the night high on free candy and rides. it is SO much fun.

We did MNSSHP in 2010 and wasn't going to bother again when we go this month but I'm tempted again now.

When we went the character queues were big especially for the dwarves but nothing else was.

My main issue is we aren't sure how tired our 3 year old will be and if it would be a waste of money, also the parks should be relatively quiet in the daytime anyway.

Christopher

We did MNSSHP in 2010 and wasn't going to bother again when we go this month but I'm tempted again now.

When we went the character queues were big especially for the dwarves but nothing else was.

My main issue is we aren't sure how tired our 3 year old will be and if it would be a waste of money, also the parks should be relatively quiet in the daytime anyway.

All the other characters are do-able?

Top Bottom