• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

MacAttack

I did at first when I was cautious about 7, but now that the hype train is chugging along at a brisk pace I feel more comfortable with the association.

I'm not following the hype train this time, so maybe after seeing something in the theaters under the Disney banner it will help make that connection. But...

Because of Star Tours I've always had the Disney/Star Wars association, but not having the Fox fanfare before the film and instead Disney's (and Bad Robot's?) will be weird.

This is going to be really wierd. The fanfare was part of the introduction and as such, part of the movie experience. It will be interesting to see how they handle it because Cinderellas castle doesn't seem to lend itself to the setting of Star Wars. Which is just the kind of juxtaposition that has me conflicted about Star Wars in the parks.

I've always wondered what park visitors thought about Star Wars and Disney and what the association was even before the acquisition since Star Tours has been a part of the parks since the 80s and Star Wars Weekends was founded in the 90s.

I think Star Tours and SWW are actually a good fit for Hollywood Studios since the park is a tribute to Hollywood movies (even if SW was not made in Hollywood). It's the crossover of Star Wars into the Magic Kingdom and other Disney properties that throws me off. For instance, and I know it's trivial, but the Star Wars themed Magic Bandits (see below) just don't jive with me.
VkOaMFSl.jpg
I think the real interesting reaction from Disney fans will be if/when the Star Wars land is approved and how that will change the HS park.

TEJ

I.....can't concentrate on much other than listening to blue swede and thinking about guardians of the galaxy.

I need to do something productive today.

Had never ordered tickets from Disney over the phone. Received my tickets for the Halloween party in a similar envelope to this one yesterday. Thought it looked pretty cool and classic.

envelope.jpg

RetroMG

My brother in law has declared that he's doing a family trip to DL the second week of December. My wife and I are trying to talk him out of it because that's the last weekend of the year that deluxe annual passes are available for use, and that's a miserable time to go to DL. We did it last year, and it was packed.

The more you know.

TEJ

finally saw maleficent

angelina jolies performance was great but way too many liberties were taken.

TEJ

the guardians of the galaxy hype train has no brakes

I haven't been able to focus on much of anything other than thinking about this movie.

productivity is down the drain.

DarkFlow

Banned
Had never ordered tickets from Disney over the phone. Received my tickets for the Halloween party in a similar envelope to this one yesterday. Thought it looked pretty cool and classic.

envelope.jpg

Yeah, they've used that for awhile. I remember getting tickets in that.

Fathead

Weve made some. Not all. Tried to put them early in the day so we can do the 3 more thing.

Havent been as a grown up so I'm not sure what i may not have thought of at this point.

MacAttack

Pop century. 16th to the 22nd of August.

Since Im heading down around the same time as you here's some general tips I've picked up:

The park hours are pretty long and afternoon rainstorms are a possibilty, consider taking afternoon breaks for naps/pool/lunch.

If you are using disney transportation, figure 1/2 hr to an hr each way depending on where you're heading.

If you haven't already made Dining reservations and fastpass choices take advantage of those.

Kennythepirate.com has great maps and character meet schedules if thats important to you.

Extra Magic Hours are great in the morning but are also usually the busiest days for those parks.

If you want something more specific, Id be happy to offer any advice I can since I've planned the shit out of this trip.

Hmm. One thing to note is that to receive your additional FP you must do so from a park kiosk but they can be changed later with the iOS/Andriod app. Guests often change their FP so you might find a better time or attraction if you keep checking the app.

Glad I can use my PC again! Loved talking in this thread.

How is it going TEJ?

finally saw maleficent

angelina jolies performance was great but way too many liberties were taken.

Yeah, thats the problem. The part where she enters the throne room and is a copy paste of the original movie, is the greatest thing ever. But then, well, we all know how it goes.
I only wanted to see [SPOILERMaleficent turn into a baddass dragon, and even the movie got wrong that :(/SPOILER]

Artorias

Banned
I had a few different 5 day stretches booked but I'm pretty sure i'll be going to DL on August 12th-17th now. So excited! Its really hard to believe its only been a year....feels like a lifetime!

One more year for school and I'll be moving to socal. Partly because I just can't be away from California any longer and I'm over SF, but mostly just to live close to Disneyland. We want to start a family in the next 5 years and it just seems right to be a park family for that time.

I don't plan on living there my whole life, but no matter how much I dwell on it, I can't think of a place that would make me happier right now. Eventually (in 10-15 years) we are probably moving out of the country so I need as much Disney in my veins as possible!

Any WDW tips for me? Me, the wifey, 9 yo son, 6 yo old daughter.

I havent been since 1996.

Seems like a few of us will be down there at the same time. I'll be there 19th-27th.

If you can definitely get to the parks for rope drop. The first 2 hours of a day are relatively empty.

Look into easywdw.com or touringplans.com for plans that will help you get the most out of your trip. I love the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. 2015 is now out for the Kindle, but the physical one comes out 8/19. Whatever you do, planning is important to minimize wait times.

Be prepared to walk a lot, and to take some sort of rest in the afternoon. Whether that means going back to the room, or seeing shows.

Don't forget to take in all the details. It's easy to get lost in the rush to see all the attractions, but Disney is really good at details too.

Xun

I take it you made your FP+ selections already? I know the new system can be confusing. Pop Century is the best value resort IMO. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
Is there no way you can book on the day?

Like the rest of MyMagic+ it sounds like a complete farce.

Sure you can, but you probably won't have much left. I think they do hold back some FPs for the day of.

I like MM+, it's an always evolving tool to manage the crowds (and make more money of course). Everyone will use the phone to manage their lives in the future. By 2024 people the younger generation will look back at the old FP system and not understand how we ever worked the parks back then.

Pre-booking is available to everyone. I've had plenty of days where I changed my mind and re-booked FP before the park opens though, and I continue to mess around with the times if I'm not paying attention to something else.

Zalman

Just saw this thread. Big Disney fan here. I was in Disney World a few weeks ago. I always have an absolute blast there. Just being there really makes me happy. It's the vibe, man. Can't get enough of it.

You guys never thought that a quartet of singing British vultures with shaggy hair were a little, y'know, evocative of something? I think the original plan was to have the Beatles voice them themselves but in the end they just suck with them as general parodies.

Wow, I didnt even rememebr. yep, the vultures are totally parodies of the beatles!
Too bad they were not voiced by them. I remember having when I was small an vhs of the old thomas the tankengine (the one that used real train models) and it was narrated by Ringo Starr.

Donald Duck is no saint, either.

0.jpg

Don't fuck up with Donald and he will not fuck with you...

Unless you are his nephews... or Mickey... of Goofy after doing something stupid and Donald took the blow.
Although I would not call his nephews in the shorts saints either.

In summary, dont get around 20 metres of Donald if he is about to blow up.

daydream

Banned
Don't fuck up with Donald and he will not fuck with you...

Unless you are his nephews... or Mickey... of Goofy after doing something stupid and Donald took the blow.
Although I would not call his nephews in the shorts saints either.

In summary, dont get around 20 metres of Donald if his about to blow up.

Donald's outbursts are the most cathartic thing ever.

daydream

Banned
Fuck his nephews, im suprised he doesnt throw a temper to them instead of the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5WebmgeLkU

Classic! The piano scene kills me everytime, lol.

Yep, also best Donald troll without a doubt in his history of animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLbmWE-0Rmk

Just look at this sly modafucka.
band+concert+3.jpg

Another thing Disney shorts taught me as a kid - fuck bees! They are the worst.

Here's another one I love to death - Donald Duck in Modern Inventions (1937)

Your hat, Sir!

TEJ

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy twice, next month is the winter solder on blu ray, big hero 6 is coming soon.

Then on the gaming side of things we have disney infinity 2.0 coming soon. We have Kingdom Hearts 2.5 coming this year.

Then this is the year I finally get to see the lion king musical. i've been waiting almost 2 decades to see it.

Christopher

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy twice, next month is the winter solder on blu ray, big hero 6 is coming soon.

Then on the gaming side of things we have disney infinity 2.0 coming soon. We have Kingdom Hearts 2.5 coming this year.

Then this is the year I finally get to see the lion king musical. i've been waiting almost 2 decades to see it.

I wanna see Aladdin the musical I honestly though Lion King was "eh"

TEJ

I wanna see Aladdin the musical I honestly though Lion King was "eh"

I still want to see it

Also, tarzan blu ray is coming soon. The special edition is only 19.99 {probably a preorder discount} which includes the blu ray, dvd, and digital HD version.

Top Bottom