• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Thinking about trying to go to Disneyland for one of the Not-To-Scary Halloween days.

Anyone been?

I went last year, dressed up and everything. We had lots of fun. It seems crowded because people are getting candy and doing character meet & greets but the attraction lines are near walk-ons for almost everything. We went mid-October, I think on a Tue or Wed. The party-only fireworks were great, too.

adj_noun

Gonna be making Fastpass plus selections for Disneyworld in a few days.

Last time I did this was 2007 with the paper ones. This one's...I'm sure it will work, but I'm a bit more nervous that I will somehow screw this up.

You need a fastpass for Figment, right?!? RIGHT?!? That and Living with the Land!

daydream

Banned
It's weird. Even as a kid I never had the desire to visit Disneyland. And I loved amusement parks. I remember researching the prices once, looking at some catalogues and whatnot, but I didn't feel the urge to pursue it with any passion.

I blame their dumb mascots.

Gonna be making Fastpass plus selections for Disneyworld in a few days.

Last time I did this was 2007 with the paper ones. This one's...I'm sure it will work, but I'm a bit more nervous that I will somehow screw this up.

You need a fastpass for Figment, right?!? RIGHT?!? That and Living with the Land!

Probably not for Figment. Living with the Land is tiered with Soarin' and Test Track now. For tier 2 you'll save the most time selecting FP+ for Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space, or Maelstrom. There are plenty of times in the day where any tier 2 attraction waits are very minimal.

It's weird. Even as a kid I never had the desire to visit Disneyland. And I loved amusement parks. I remember researching the prices once, looking at some catalogues and whatnot, but I didn't feel the urge to pursue it with any passion.

I blame their dumb mascots.

As a kid, I passed on visiting Disneyland multiple times. As an adult, it's all I want to do now.

adj_noun

Probably not for Figment. Living with the Land is tiered with Soarin' and Test Track now. For tier 2 you'll save the most time selecting FP+ for Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space, or Maelstrom. There are plenty of times in the day where any tier 2 attraction waits are very minimal.

Yeah, I think for Epcot I'll be booking Soarin', Mission Space: Spinning Edition and something else.

Magic Kingdom has a metric ton of stuff available. Whew.

Yeah, I think for Epcot I'll be booking Soarin', Mission Space: Spinning Edition and something else.

Soarin is a must. Always the first FP I run to when Epcot opens.

Test drive used to be my second go to, but after the redesign I have lost interest in it (too much tron inspired garbage and not enough car related stuff anymore)

All in all honestly after going down to Disney for every year up until around 2004/5, not much has really changed in terms of e-ticket rides down in disney world sadly. I now enjoy just walking around the parks and trying to do thing I haven't done in a while or are for a limited time while i'm down there.

Anyone that's been down there recently know what the status of the Marketplace redesign is? Last time I went down a couple of xmas's ago it was still in limbo.

So there's a trick for FP+ I don't think a lot of people know about, and I don't know if it will work by the time you go. Basically, a FP+ window is an hour long and no other FP can be booked within that closed window, but as soon as you use one FP+, the remaining time within that window is now open to move your other FP to, pending availability. So say you have a FP at 1pm for Soarin' and another for MS at 2pm, and you get through the FP gates at 1:15 for Soarin'. If it's available, you can change your MS FP to before 2pm if you wish.

This is important if you want to have more than 3 FPs a day, since you're only allowed more FPs after using your initial 3.

I honestly think theme parks get better with age. I doubt most kids process the level of technology, craftsmanship, and infrastructure that makes them all work.

I just recently returned from Disneyland in California. The last time I was there I was just a kid. The above is totally true - now not only did I enjoy just going on attractions but I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating the experience and the neat new technology they use in clever and fun ways. If I could remember that far back Id say I may have had even more fun now.

I just recently returned from Disneyland in California. The last time I was there I was just a kid. The above is totally true - now not only did I enjoy just going on attractions but I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating the experience and the neat new technology they use in clever and fun ways. If I could remember that far back Id say I may have had even more fun now.

Same. I think most kids enjoy the parks on primarily on a surface level. They see cool things, ride cool rides, have their fun, forget it. And that's fine, but there's so much more to appreciate. I think a good example is Disneyland's intuitive design. There's a GDC talk that compares Disneyland's layout design to level design in video games that I'd recommend to fans of theme parks in general. These parks are design masterpieces from numerous angles.

The mickey door is fantastic, same as all the memorabilia.
I have also my Disney corner in my room, but of course not as big as this.

The Disney door was an item that Home Depot sold for a short while. That door is actually the display model from the store my ex worked at. I got it for $100 but a single sided door retailed for about $300. I've seen the Nemo one on Ebay once, but none of the others.

Yeah... that's only a small amount of stuff. I have LOTS more stuff. I even have a Disney kitchen; complete with plates/bowls, cabinet knobs, towels, colander, utensils, salt/pepper shakers, cutting board, plus the holiday kitchen collection as well. But that stuff has been sitting in boxes for a few years now. I also have a huge resort mug collection (back before when each resort had their own). I have a few figurines too. I do still get to put out my magical Disney touches during the holidays too.

It becomes a bit of a problem when you work there for a few years. Plus I love the Cast Connection store and trailer (for those that are WDW CMs, they know what I'm talking about).

Christopher

I love Disney, had a few dark peroids in my life where I just put on some Disney movies and felt better.

I have just about every film on Blu Ray, and have been to the parks about 3 times now.

Question Disneyers...what park would you recommend besides Magic Kingdom? Hollywood Studios, Epcot, or Animal Kingdom.

Actually strike out HollyWood Studios...what a dull park. Marvel and Star Wars would make an EXCELLENT spruce up to the park.

I love Disney, had a few dark peroids in my life where I just put on some Disney movies and felt better.

I have just about every film on Blu Ray, and have been to the parks about 3 times now.

Question Disneyers...what park would you recommend besides Magic Kingdom? Hollywood Studios, Epcot, or Animal Kingdom.

Actually strike out HollyWood Studios...what a dull park. Marvel and Star Wars would make an EXCELLENT spruce up to the park.

Epcot. Animal Kingdom has Exception Everest, but not much else and it closes early.

Don't sleep on Hollywood Studios. Tower of Terror is arguably the best attraction on property, and Rockin Rollercoaster is no slouch either. Star Tours is decent and the Great Movie Ride has a scene from Alien in it...'nuff said.

TEJ

As for Cheerilees request, I finally started to watch that Tinkerbell movie. will give impressions later.

Pickman

They can't do Marvel stuff unfortunately because Universal owns the rights to Marvel properties within a theme park setting.

I find this hilarious though, because any Marvel merch you purchase in a Universal park might as well just get tossed in a wheelbarrow and taken right up I-4 to the Mouse.

Pickman

Hollywood Studios is pretty fun. The car stunt show is really pretty neat, and the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is worth checking out for nostalgia's sake. Star Tours is great, Tower of Terror rocks, and the TV diner bar is one of the most laid back atmospheres of any Disney park to just relax and have a drink.

My personal favorite will always be Epcot though. The World Showcase around the center lake has each country staffed by people from those places, and if they aren't too busy, most folks don't mind chit-chatting about home and the cool things about their cultures highlighted in the area.

You've also got Mission: Space, which is hands down my favorite Disney attraction. First, the queue is neat and features a bunch of "future tech" space stuff, including a 30 foot tall rotating "living quarters". The ride itself is just a giant centrifuge but it's immersive and puts a lot of G's on you, so it feels pretty intense. The sensation of weightlessness after you come out of orbital burn is amazing.
Green side is for sissies, ride Orange.
As if all of that wasn't enough, the ride is hosted and narrated by Gary Sinese. Lieutenant Dan sciences the shit out of you. It's amazing.

Also, during the hottest part of the day, you should go to Ellen's Energy Ride. It's the driest, most boring thing you've ever been on in your life, but 90% of it is in the dark and it's a great place to catch a 30 minute nap in air conditioning.

Aside from that you've got Soarin', Test Track, and a few other fun rides and attractions.

Hands down the best thing about Epcot is the food. More restaurant choices than any other park, and the world showcase has some amazing grub. If you get a chance, try the English Bulldog from the Rose & Crown pub in England. It's an english banger sausage split down the middle, filled with mashed potatoes, topped with bacon and cheddar cheese with a spicy brown mustard on top, in a long bun. It's one of the cheapest, most filling things you can buy in a Disney park.

TEJ

Okay.

I was going to give it a 6/10. It was a cute movie, nothing terribly bad about it.

....but then the ending happened, which was a tug at the old heartstrings. so i'll give it a 6.5/10

Christopher

Hollywood Studios is pretty fun. The car stunt show is really pretty neat, and the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is worth checking out for nostalgia's sake. Star Tours is great, Tower of Terror rocks, and the TV diner bar is one of the most laid back atmospheres of any Disney park to just relax and have a drink.

My personal favorite will always be Epcot though. The World Showcase around the center lake has each country staffed by people from those places, and if they aren't too busy, most folks don't mind chit-chatting about home and the cool things about their cultures highlighted in the area.

You've also got Mission: Space, which is hands down my favorite Disney attraction. First, the queue is neat and features a bunch of "future tech" space stuff, including a 30 foot tall rotating "living quarters". The ride itself is just a giant centrifuge but it's immersive and puts a lot of G's on you, so it feels pretty intense. The sensation of weightlessness after you come out of orbital burn is amazing.
Green side is for sissies, ride Orange.
As if all of that wasn't enough, the ride is hosted and narrated by Gary Sinese. Lieutenant Dan sciences the shit out of you. It's amazing.

Also, during the hottest part of the day, you should go to Ellen's Energy Ride. It's the driest, most boring thing you've ever been on in your life, but 90% of it is in the dark and it's a great place to catch a 30 minute nap in air conditioning.

Aside from that you've got Soarin', Test Track, and a few other fun rides and attractions.

Hands down the best thing about Epcot is the food. More restaurant choices than any other park, and the world showcase has some amazing grub. If you get a chance, try the English Bulldog from the Rose & Crown pub in England. It's an english banger sausage split down the middle, filled with mashed potatoes, topped with bacon and cheddar cheese with a spicy brown mustard on top, in a long bun. It's one of the cheapest, most filling things you can buy in a Disney park.

What an awesome post thank you so much

Here is my little corner, with the majority of books about disney parks.
From top to bottom:
-The Disneyland Encyclopedia
-Disneyland and DCA OST
-The Art of Toy Story 3
-Disneyland Paris: From Sketch to Reality
-The Art of Walt Disney (Spanish Edition)
-The Pixar Treasures
-The Art of Disneyland
-Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams look at Making Magic Real
-Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams look at Making MORE Magic Real
-Poster Art of the Disney Parks.

And of course the lovely Mickey self protrait figurine based on the fanous Norman Rockwell drawing.
foto15-07-14164011kosbb.jpg

I have also in one of the walls a huge disneyland 50th anniversary map framed. What i love of this one is that is based in the maps that Imagineer Legend Sam McKim drew from 1958 to 1966. I dont know if it was drawn by McKim itself, as he retired in 1987 (althought he did the 1992 souvenir map for euro Disneyland), as even if its a version of 2005 (McKim died in 2004) it was first drawn in 2000, and its signed by McKim (in the map you can see it below the Lilly Belle Wagon).
foto15-07-14164147iisce.jpg

And my Best Mickeys + Oswald plushies!
foto15-07-14172109pxkmb.jpg

I would love to have the Engineering/Imagineering books to add to my collection. I also have several editions of the Birnbaum guide books for various years. It's always amazing to see how much really does change throughout the years.

Anyone ever read the reviews on Disney World on Trip Advisor? The 1 star reviews are so sad it's almost funny. People thinking they have to pay for Fast Pass, people who get upset the monorail doesn't go to Universal, etc.

I would love to have the Engineering/Imagineering books to add to my collection. I also have several editions of the Birnbaum guide books for various years. It's always amazing to see how much really does change throughout the years.

The Imagineering books are amazing, the only bad thing is that they are usually limited quantities and run out fast, so the prices go up a lot. Some of the ones that I have can be found for 300-500 dollars in amazon.
Looked for the Birnbaum you said, they look really interesting, how much info does this trip guides have?

Dat Oswald plushie :eek:

Love that Disney made a plushie for Oswald. If i remember correctly both Mickey are from the disney store at Downtown Disney in Disneyland, while Oswald was from the Disney store at New York.

Anyone ever read the reviews on Disney World on Trip Advisor? The 1 star reviews are so sad it's almost funny. People thinking they have to pay for Fast Pass, people who get upset the monorail doesn't go to Universal, etc.

This reminds me, people in america usually know fastpass in disney exists and its free, but in Paris is amazing the amount of people that dont use it only becuase they don't want to inform. The most surprising thing is going through the fast pass line and hearing people in the normal queue in spanish/french/english badmouthing you, thinking you paid to do that and looking envious as hell lol. It's a pity that the majority of europeans are pretty rude and horribly informed when they visit theme parks.

This reminds me, people in america usually know fastpass in disney exists and its free, but in Paris is amazing the amount of people that dont use it only becuase they don't want to inform. The most surprising thing is going through the fast pass line and hearing people in the normal queue in spanish/french/english badmouthing you, thinking you paid to do that and looking envious as hell lol. It's a pity that the majority of europeans are pretty rude and horribly informed when they visit theme parks.

I mean seriously, how much misinformation can one be suspect to?

Cheerilee

As for Cheerilees request, I finally started to watch that Tinkerbell movie. will give impressions later.

Okay.

I was going to give it a 6/10. It was a cute movie, nothing terribly bad about it.

....but then the ending happened, which was a tug at the old heartstrings. so i'll give it a 6.5/10

Dang, I was hoping you'd like it just a little bit more than that.

I was also hoping to convince you that there was room to hope for the future of direct-to-video sequels, but then I kind of un-convinced myself of that, by watching #5 (LOL).

Thanks for giving it a chance.

TEJ

Dang, I was hoping you'd like it just a little bit more than that.

I was also hoping to convince you that there was room to hope for the future of direct-to-video sequels, but then I kind of un-convinced myself of that, by watching #5 (LOL).

Thanks for giving it a chance.

I rate on a 1-10 scale, not the 7-10 scale.

a 6 would be pretty decent, which is 4 points higher than i'd give every single direct to video disney sequel i've seen.

To be fair, that review was posted before offsite guests were able to pre-book FP+ 30 days prior, but he/she is completely wrong about onsite guests getting more FP.

I wish I could book 5-6 fast passes per park, per day because I stayed at the Poly last October...

Would've made park hopping so much more fun.

Just realised Dapper Day is at Hollywood studios whilst we are there this year

Tempted to give it a whirl.

Also Planes 2 isn't out for a while yet here but in my house we already have toys and merchandise and my little boy can't wait to see it.

It's going to get slaughtered in reviews though clearly.

I wish I could book 5-6 fast passes per park, per day because I stayed at the Poly last October...

Would've made park hopping so much more fun.

It's doable:

This was on a Star Wars Weekend day, so DHS opened at 8 and it was fairly busy. We stayed at the Contemporary and got back about 12:30 and pretty much slept until 6 or so before getting food. Got to MK around 7pm and started rolling more FPs, starting with the available times closest to the current time. The more popular attractions are going to be further away for returns so you just gotta know when it's time to finally book those before it gets too late, but too soon and you're locked out of FPs available sooner. I always checked the app to see if sooner times pop up because people are always moving them around. Having slept for over 5 hours midday, I'd say it was rather productive, and that's not counting attractions we didn't use FP on.

It's doable:

This was on a Star Wars Weekend day, so DHS opened at 8 and it was fairly busy. We stayed at the Contemporary and got back about 12:30 and pretty much slept until 6 or so before getting food. Got to MK around 7pm and started rolling more FPs, starting with the available times closest to the current time. The more popular attractions are going to be further away for returns so you just gotta know when it's time to finally book those before it gets too late, but too soon and you're locked out of FPs available sooner. I always checked the app to see if sooner times pop up because people are always moving them around. Having slept for over 5 hours midday, I'd say it was rather productive, and that's not counting attractions we didn't use FP on.

But you only got to do more than 3 FP+ because you used your first 3 entitlements. You don't have access to all those FP+ choices at once. The person in the review made it seem like each day someone who stayed at the Grand Flo could book 5 FP+ at MK, 5 FP+ at EPCOT, 5 FP+ at The Studios and 5 FP+ at AK all at the same time for the same day.

Cheerilee

I rate on a 1-10 scale, not the 7-10 scale.

a 6 would be pretty decent, which is 4 points higher than i'd give every single direct to video disney sequel i've seen.

That makes me feel much better. And makes me feel that videogames journalism has corrupted my soul.

But you only got to do more than 3 FP+ because you used your first 3 entitlements. You don't have access to all those FP+ choices at once. The person in the review made it seem like each day someone who stayed at the Grand Flo could book 5 FP+ at MK, 5 FP+ at EPCOT, 5 FP+ at The Studios and 5 FP+ at AK all at the same time for the same day.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying I was able to do that because I stayed on site, just that getting more than 3 is possible (and available to everyone).

TEJ

A personal story i'd like to share. I had this friend who was, like the brother I never had. He was a part of a closed internet community, we have been a part of for nearly 10 years. My moms firstborn son was a miscarriage. At least, my mom tells me it was going to be my big brother.

My friend and I were going to disneyworld next year with my family because as far as I am concerned he was family, for the week of my 30th birthday. on my birthday it'd just be me and him. we were going to go to epcot, the animal kingdom, etc. we were going to spend ludicrious amounts of money on souveneers for each other

we were going to stay up all night talking, watching disney movies, and well.....

.....this morning his sister informed me that he died last night....I don't know what of and I maybe don't want to know.

Today has not been very easy.

A personal story i'd like to share. I had this friend who was, like the brother I never had. He was a part of a closed internet community, we have been a part of for nearly 10 years. My moms firstborn son was a miscarriage. At least, my mom tells me it was going to be my big brother.

My friend and I were going to disneyworld next year with my family because as far as I am concerned he was family, for the week of my 30th birthday. on my birthday it'd just be me and him. we were going to go to epcot, the animal kingdom, etc. we were going to spend ludicrious amounts of money on souveneers for each other

we were going to stay up all night talking, watching disney movies, and well.....

.....this morning his sister informed me that he died last night....I don't know what of and I maybe don't want to know.

That just sucks all kinds of shittiness. There's not much else to say except sorry that happened to him and for you. I hope you still can go to remember him and what he meant to you.

:/ My condolences. The people that go traveling with me to the parks are the closest friends I have. I couldn't imagine losing them. Hang in there.

TEJ

I was feeling pretty shitty.Now, i'm closer to the acceptance phase.....but just because I accept it doesn't mean I like it.

Skunkers

They can't do Marvel stuff unfortunately because Universal owns the rights to Marvel properties within a theme park setting.

Only East of the Mississippi River. Disney is perfectly free (and are already planning) to add Marvel attractions to Disneyland. It's just WDW that Universal has the rights over.

TEJ

The guy was a bigger disney fan than even me, he often went to disneyworld with his family and friends. He owned every single disney blu ray, dvd, and close to every VHS. He was a big marvel and star wars guy. Oh you wouldn't imagine the {playful} arguements we had over whether DC or marvel was better or if star trek was better or worse than star wars and....

I just went into my backyard, poured out some sam adams while this was playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-i7QpQFKU

I think he would have wanted it this way. I'm starting to feel better. Not happy, but, a little more peaceful.

Found these Blu-Ray slipcovers on Amazon UK and thought the thread might like them. (Cross post from the Disney Blu-Ray thread)

I also found these on Amazon UK. They're slipcovers that feature the villains of the respective film. The actual case contains the normal cover.

81nEj4JMSOL._SL1500_.jpg

81HhsKD%2BIjL._SL1500_.jpg

81oT-IwJF5L._SL1500_.jpg

81RbCtC1OlL._SL1500_.jpg

81zwu3bCVqL._SL1500_.jpg

81SKS%2BBANoL._SL1500_.jpg

81utKTm7KrL._SL1500_.jpg

81TLMQpti5L._SL1500_.jpg

81Mt41UC0oL._SL1500_.jpg

91AXMNY4xGL._SL1500_.jpg

:(
I can't imagine how hard that can be for you.
I had the worst time of my life becuase of some broken friendship early this year, and I was devastated for months, becuase I tend to value my friends as important aspects in my life, Im better now, but I was like a non stop crying zombi during some months. Even like that, yours is like a thosand times worse :(
If you need any help about anything, Im here if you want to talk. :)

TEJ

:(
I can't imagine how hard that can be for you.
I had the worst time of my life becuase of some broken friendship early this year, and I was devastated for months, becuase I tend to value my friends as important aspects in my life, Im better now, but I was like a non stop crying zombi during some months. Even like that, yours is like a thosand times worse :(
If you need any help about anything, Im here if you want to talk. :)

well, if there's anything positive to be said about me it's that I recover quickly. Sure, i'll never forget the guy but it's not like I can stay crying for the rest of my life.

I am trying to collaborate with an artist to draw something to remember him by, that i'm fully paying for. I put my heart and soul designing every element of it and getting an artist to work her magic.

Top Bottom