• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Fan art you say?
disney_star_wars_poster_by_thomsolo-d1hvism.jpg

Kingdom_Hearts_3_by_shinakari.jpg

paper_captain_america_by_eadgeart-d7p8sxe.jpg

simba_i_am_your_father_by_lord_kiyo-d4g9xxx.png

Love these!

This one is real concept art!

That seems high, although it's been a couple years since I've looked. Was that during one of the major holiday seasons?

Yeah pretty sure it was in the heart of spring break time. I think he was wrong on saying it was a standard room, my guess is that it was some sort of suite because they probably were booked otherwise. Damn shame that they are gutting the lobby of the Poly.

I still think that Avatar is a really bad idea for Animal Kingdom. They very well could make an incredibly themed world and some cool attractions, but I don't buy for one second that that world/characters resonate with people enough to have anywhere close to the same kind of impact Harry Potter is having on Universal or that a fully-realized Star Wars land would have on the Studios.

Hex

Banned
Yeah pretty sure it was in the heart of spring break time. I think he was wrong on saying it was a standard room, my guess is that it was some sort of suite because they probably were booked otherwise. Damn shame that they are gutting the lobby of the Poly.

I still think that Avatar is a really bad idea for Animal Kingdom. They very well could make an incredibly themed world and some cool attractions, but I don't buy for one second that that world/characters resonate with people enough to have anywhere close to the same kind of impact Harry Potter is having on Universal or that a fully-realized Star Wars land would have on the Studios.

Star Wars would not fit with Animal Kingdom at all.
It is about the theme of nature and the themes of Avatar fitting with the themes of the park.
It was also in the works before they got the rights to Star Wars and they are not going to stop just because they gained Lucas. Star Wars would most likely try to save Epcot or the Studios park.

xeris

Yeah, I was thinking about it later and that was my guess. If you book through the Disney site they tend to show you whatever the lowest room that will be available for your entire stay at your chosen hotel will cost but if you're not paying attention it can look like it's the lowest rate period.

I used to be a CM at Hollywood Studios if anybody has any fun behind-the-scenes questions :)

Would love to know some interesting stories. Also which rides/zones you were working and if it was any fun (fun as in a workplace fun, for example I worked on two different departments on a big store and I can say one was much better than the other, becuase the boss was pretty good and what I sold was more up my alley).

Any weird stories?

One time a guest actually left their baby in their stroller and walked away. We had to call a manager and the police and it was a big mess. Eventually the mother came running towards us shouting "My baby! My baby!" and explained that both her and her husband thought that the other had their child. Security took her away, I'm not sure what happened after that. It probably wasn't pretty though.

Would love to know some interesting stories. Also which rides/zones you were working and if it was any fun (fun as in a workplace fun, for example I worked on two different departments on a big store and I can say one was much better than the other, becuase the boss was pretty good and what I sold was more up my alley).

I worked at both Disney Junior - Live on Stage and Voyage of The Little Mermaid. I thought it was a lot of fun! I was working there on the Disney College Program, so I basically lived at Disney World for a semester and worked in the park. *Technically* I was considered an intern, but it was paid and we did everything the other Cast Members did. I even got credit hours for it from my school.

During the holidays they allow CMs from my area (Backlands Attractions) to work at Spectacle of the Dancing Lights, which is the big Christmas lights show/attraction/exhibit/thing they have from mid-November to early January. That was a lot of fun too. We mostly just walked around and talked to guests and took pictures for them.

I have a bit of a specific request.

I'm looking for "stuff" Plush/Statue/Figure/Art Prints of Classic Mickey (white face) and Oswald together.

Anyone know of anything?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Subbed!

2. Big Disney fan. Some of my favorite films ever.

3. Going to DW for the first time with my wife and two toddlers this year. I'm 34. And couldn't be more excited!

xeris

1. Subbed!

2. Big Disney fan. Some of my favorite films ever.

3. Going to DW for the first time with my wife and two toddlers this year. I'm 34. And couldn't be more excited!

Without knowing anything else, my big piece of advice is pace yourself and realized that you won't see everything. The other thing with toddlers is take frequent breaks. If you're staying close by, go back for a swim or nap.

Borman

Id like to see an attraction or two that tries to bring in some of Walt's visions for the future. I love the Carousel of Progress and the Peoplemover because of what was behind them, and Id like to see that pushed a bit more instead of just a movie attraction (as much as I love them! Went on the Mine Train twice before it opened.)

Finally got around to posting in this thread. Been going to Disney almost every year since around the mid/early 90s. The place has definitely changed A LOT. Not all good but not all bad.

Anyone else been in the DVC since near its beginning?

What would you consider to be the best all around DVC resort?

For me it's a toss up really. Overall i'm in love with Old Key West Resort. Mainly because it was the first of the resorts that was affiliated with the DVC and also due to its laid back low key nature. Sure it isn't the most up to date but I just can't get over how chill that place feels especially at night, so relaxing.

However, Animal Kingdom Resort knocks it out of the park with its atmosphere. Haven't stayed there since around when it first opened but having wild animals outside your room is just unreal. Favorite thing to do while there is sit out of the patio during a thunderstorm and just watch out over the area checking out the various animals graving about.

I have so many memories from going down there. Could fill pages and pages...assuming I could even remember it all.

I am a big Disney fan as well, I am 24 and I like to go there at least once a year. I sleep like an angel in their resorts for some reason.

BunnyBear

Has anyone read Team Rodent: How Disney Devours The World?

Here's a mini-review I did of the book:

The book, Team Rodent: How Disney Devours The World, is basically a overtly critical examination of the Disney corporation and its power, and the many ways in which Disney uses its massive sway to get what it wants.

The author is incredibly bitter towards Disney as a result of his view that Disney damaged Florida beyond repair with its theme-parks and forceful development practices. The book details many anecdotes that position Disney in a very poor light, with the company often emerging totalitarian, aggressive, crafty and dismissive of criticism. The author also paints a picture of the company as desperate to be portrayed in a positive light, always going to absurd lengths to avoid public criticism or the slightest tarnishing of its wholesome image.

The author also finds distasteful the philosophy Disney has towards ensuring everything within its control is pristine and idyllic, almost to a utopian standard. An example: while developing Disney World in Florida, the company were displeased with the colour of the water in the natural marshes of the Florida landscapes. As a result, they drained the, filled them with white sand and only settled for the bluest water quality possible.

One paragraph towards the end of the book sums the author’s sentiments up rather succinctly: “Try to understand. For older, hard-core generations of Florida natives, no scandal is so delectable as a Disney scandal. This warped delights blooms out of deep resentment over the destruction of childhood haunts – an ongoing atrocity in which Walt Disney Company remains gravely culpable, directly and indirectly.”

Worth a read. Only about 90 pages long, very interesting, and only a few bucks on Amazon.

TEJ

I really hope that GOTG is a megahit. i wasn't sure about rocket before but every line of his from trailers and adspots have been gold.

matt360

Another Disney lover checking in! Glad there's a dedicated thread for this stuff!

I'm originally from central Florida so I used to have annual passes and go after school or on weekends. I've probably been to the Magic Kingdom 40-50 times, and it's amazing every single time. The only downside (or upside from a monetary perspective) is that I've never experienced the Florida Disney resorts because I've never needed to. Now that I'm a bit older I think that staying a week actually sounds like great fun.

I've been in Japan for the last 8 years and have visited Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea, and as cool as Disney Sea is, the overall resort has nothing on the Florida version. It's way too compact and lacks that X-factor that makes the Florida parks so magical. And you actually have to pay to ride on the monorail!

Open for advice on anyone who wants to help me make my bedroom a little more Disneyfied.

This is the stuff I have. The furniture is probably going to go in the next year or so. I'm thinking of getting twin over full bunk set to allow for the top area as storage for my mickey collection. I also have boxes of pins that I plan on putting on canvas boards in small sets by theme. Window covers are also going to be replaced. Accents are done in antique bronze (door handle, outlet plates). The bottom corner picture is a wall hanging, which I've been dying to hang up.

All walls and trim are up for painting. I'm not a fan of Yellow/Red/Orange, it's just a strain on my eyes. Blue, green, purples, and pinks are all ok. My favorite color is blue, but I don't know if I want to go with solid blue again. I had that in my bedroom growing up.

So here's what I've got.

Cheerilee

All walls and trim are up for painting. I'm not a fan of Yellow/Red/Orange, it's just a strain on my eyes. Blue, green, purples, and pinks are all ok. My favorite color is blue, but I don't know if I want to go with solid blue again. I had that in my bedroom growing up.

Sometimes if you have too much color in a room (doors, curtains, carpet, bed), it's a good idea to leave the walls boring, otherwise the room just feels like "noise". In that sense, your current paint might be just fine.

I think I've seen at the hardware store, a small strip of Disney-themed wallpaper, which you can use to make a clean dividing line around a room that has been painted two colors (top and bottom). If you paint the upper-half of your room with a soft, subtle blue, and hide the seam with a strip of Disney wallpaper, then you could get your favorite color into the mix, the walls could stay boring, and it would be deliberate and on-theme.

That's all I've got in terms of design advice. I'm not a professional.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
P2090075.jpg

They need to rerelease these or put the content up online. The shorts would be nice to have, but I mostly want all the rare interviews and documentaries that are included on them.

Auctopus

Love Disneyland, never been to Disneyworld. Gone several times and love it just as much every time. First time I stayed in Newport hotel was incredible. I'll be going back in the next few years now I'm in my twenties and I know I'll love it just as much.

Sometimes if you have too much color in a room (doors, curtains, carpet, bed), it's a good idea to leave the walls boring, otherwise the room just feels like "noise". In that sense, your current paint might be just fine.

I think I've seen at the hardware store, a small strip of Disney-themed wallpaper, which you can use to make a clean dividing line around a room that has been painted two colors (top and bottom). If you paint the upper-half of your room with a soft, subtle blue, and hide the seam with a strip of Disney wallpaper, then you could get your favorite color into the mix, the walls could stay boring, and it would be deliberate and on-theme.

That's all I've got in terms of design advice. I'm not a professional.

It's only my room four months out of the year, so crazy doesn't bother me. Now neutral color paint does. It's the same color as the rest of the house and it's just too boring. At least the rest of the house has complementary accent colors to it, and it looks nice.

Open for advice on anyone who wants to help me make my bedroom a little more Disneyfied.

This is the stuff I have. The furniture is probably going to go in the next year or so. I'm thinking of getting twin over full bunk set to allow for the top area as storage for my mickey collection. I also have boxes of pins that I plan on putting on canvas boards in small sets by theme. Window covers are also going to be replaced. Accents are done in antique bronze (door handle, outlet plates). The bottom corner picture is a wall hanging, which I've been dying to hang up.

So here's what I've got.

The mickey door is fantastic, same as all the memorabilia.
I have also my Disney corner in my room, but of course not as big as this.

TEJ

The mickey door is fantastic, same as all the memorabilia.
I have also my Disney corner in my room, but of course not as big as this.

I don't have one in my home but, I am saving up a large amount of money for souvineers for next year when I go to disneyworld. I am thinking of dedicating some space for everything I buy.

Oh yeah, tomorrow is supposidly when they will release the first real trailer for big hero 6.

I don't have one in my home but, I am saving up a large amount of money for souvineers for next year when I go to disneyworld. I am thinking of dedicating some space for everything I buy.

Oh yeah, tomorrow is supposidly when they will release the first real trailer for big hero 6.

When i have some time tomorrow I will do some photos of my disney parks book corner and my disneyland map in my room and post them here.

So I watched through the entire Disney Animated Film Canon last year and ranked it according to subjective taste. Thought I'd share.

Top Ten Favorites
1.Pinocchio
2.The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
3.The Lion King
4.Peter Pan
5.Beauty and the Beast
6.Aladdin
7.Lilo and Stitch
8.The Hunchback of Notre Dame
9.Alice in Wonderland
10.Fantasia
Thoroughly Enjoyed
11.Sleeping Beauty
12.Winnie the Pooh
13.The Emperor’s New Groove
14.101 Dalmations
15.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
16.Wreck-It Ralph
17.Mulan
18.The Princess and the Frog
19.The Great Mouse Detective
20.Dumbo
Enjoyed Watching
21.Make Mine Music
22.Robin Hood
23.Lady and the Tramp
24.The Little Mermaid
25.Cinderella
26.The Three Caballeros
27.Frozen
28.Tarzan
29.Tangled
30.The Rescuers Down Under
31.Bambi
32.Sword in the Stone
33.Hercules
34.The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Alright
35.The Fox And the Hound
36.Meet the Robinsons
37.Treasure Planet
38.Bolt
39.Atlantis: The Lost Empire
40.Fantasia 2000
41.Fun and Fancy Free
Meh
42.The Rescuers
43.Saludos Amigos
44.Oliver and Company
45.The Aristocats
46.Pocahontas
47.The Black Cauldron
48.The Jungle Book
Ewwwww
49.Melody Time
50.Dinosaur
51.Brother Bear
52.Home on the Range
53. Chicken Little

I used to be a CM at Hollywood Studios if anybody has any fun behind-the-scenes questions :)

I've heard a lot of horror stories from people I know that have worked at Disney.

Kind of funny, one of my mentors who used to work pretty high up at Disney would often tell me it was like working in the Death Star
and this was before they acquired Star Wars

Regardless, subbed. There is no fighting a company that holds the hearts of children and nerds at the palm of their hands with some of the biggest/greatest IPs around. lol

So I came across these:

Disney Girls In Real Life

I think it's time for more fan art.

Disney University AKA Everyone is a hipster/jock/cheerleader/nerd

These are just fantastic.

Top Bottom