• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

ZenVolta

Q: Is there any plan on adding aircraft (helicopters) to the game?
A: No.

Have they talked any about cars in the game? Read through the Q&A but might have missed it.

My thoughts right now seem to be focused on the beta. The info sounds cool and the videos look...intriguing. Not sure if I wanna dive in day 1(with pre-order) or wait to hear about it. But since theres going to be a NDA we wont be able to see real gameplay until well after the first month.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would like to see this concept done by a developer that actually gives a shit about animation.

timkunedo

Some really great impressions of the gameplay. They were really really impressed with the quality, lighting, and immersive gameplay.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/12/gdc-online-2012-a-severed-hands-on-with-the-war-z/

Joystiq says: What impressed me so much about the game was not only how smooth and polished it was for an early version but how immersive the game felt. I could lose hours and hours to this one. I can only imagine the turmoil involved with claiming a chunk of land or a building, working to secure it with several of my buddies, only to have it overrun with the undead or a stronger group of players. The lighting effects and simple interface are wonderful to toy with, and the different types of zombies will keep everyone on his or her toes. I found myself actually tensing up as zombies moved in on me, and smashing the undead in the head with the same flashlight that is lighting your way is quite invigorating.

I have to say this looks pretty bad. None of the charm that Dayz had but it tries to steal everything it can from it.

I see arcade gameplay, none of the mil sim stuff that made Dayz special.

The M.O.B

I have to say this looks pretty bad. None of the charm that Dayz had but it tries to steal everything it can from it.

I see arcade gameplay, none of the mil sim stuff that made Dayz special.

It's fine that the game is arcadey, but it doesn't even look like a fun arcadey game.

Shoot a high powered and extremely loud rifle in an urban city? 1 zombie comes at you

A meter for visibility? Why?

So many random design decisions in this game, it seems like a mishmash of popular ideas compiled into a game without any vision.

Unless the beta impressions from non-gaming journalists are actually decent, not getting my money.

TheContact

So it comes out tomorrow it looks like. This looks pretty cool, I just happened to stumble on it after typing in zombie mmo in google

SJRB

Gold Member
So it comes out tomorrow it looks like. This looks pretty cool, I just happened to stumble on it after typing in zombie mmo in google

That's pretty crazy, there's like 0 interest in this game or so it seems.

Probably because there has been 0 exposure in terms of screenshots, trailers and whatnot.

legacyzero

Banned
This game looks like ass. Especially when it's not scripted.
Yep.

If they were going to rip off DayZ so bad, they could have at least put in some ambient music like DayZ. And what the FUCK is up with the Crysis like weapon customization LOL. Another Complaint would be that there is so little cover. Mess things up a bit. More parked cars, trees, broken washing machines behind houses, etc. Everything looks so empty, as if nobody lived there at all. At least DayZ puts in tables and shit.

EDIT: LOL at that melee fight with the lady zombie @ 2:25 in that video. That looked so HORRIBLE.

legacyzero

Banned
Looks a lot more casual and a lot less frightening than Day Z, but I guess it's a different kind of game.
What's worse is, this guy is just casually walking through town like he doesn't give a fuck. And the zombies are just shuffling about like they've had their meal for the day.

You just dont do that shit in DayZ.

Midou

What's worse is, this guy is just casually walking through town like he doesn't give a fuck. And the zombies are just shuffling about like they've had their meal for the day.

You just dont do that shit in DayZ.

Yeah, the way the zombies react makes it seem really bad. That joystiq quote from a few posts up, about securing a place with your friends being intense, and then zombies over-running it, that totally happens in DayZ but the zombies really don't seem to give a damn here. It seems to copy it almost to the point of assets, but doesn't seem to be nearly as good.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yep.

If they were going to rip off DayZ so bad, they could have at least put in some ambient music like DayZ. And what the FUCK is up with the Crysis like weapon customization LOL. Another Complaint would be that there is so little cover. Mess things up a bit. More parked cars, trees, broken washing machines behind houses, etc. Everything looks so empty, as if nobody lived there at all. At least DayZ puts in tables and shit.

EDIT: LOL at that melee fight with the lady zombie @ 2:25 in that video. That looked so HORRIBLE.

This video is basically the exact opposite of the Joystick write-up. My only guess is this video is from an old build. Pop-in is horrendous, texture quality poor. Animations mediocre [zombies are phasing out and into the death animation when they get shot], audio terrible [the jumping grunts are awful].

And I'll never understand the "keep a button pressed for 3 seconds to pick item up" mechanic - you either want to pick it up, or you don't. What is the design philosophy behind this?

Randy

Not to be the Defense Force, but all the footage posted above is alpha, so let's not jump the gun and be superficial.

This game looks like ass. Especially when it's not scripted.

Sadly, it still features better animations than Dayz

Yeah, the way the zombies react makes it seem really bad. That joystiq quote from a few posts up, about securing a place with your friends being intense, and then zombies over-running it, that totally happens in DayZ but the zombies really don't seem to give a damn here. It seems to copy it almost to the point of assets, but doesn't seem to be nearly as good.

The only reason of why zombies are threatening in dayz is:

-Player speed
-they can cripple you in one hit if it the game feels like it.
-they start doing circles and zigzagging like usain bolt

Not because there's something special about their AI or because they have a nice coding to the way they pack up. It's just a staminaless infected that will chase you...until you cross a bush.

And I dont know whats wrong with the melee fight. Sure it was stupid, but hell, at least zombies react here to stuff that hits them, most of the time.

Midou

The only reason of why zombies are threatening in dayz is:

-Player speed
-they can cripple you in one hit if it the game feels like it.
-they start doing circles and zigzagging like usain bolt

Not because there's something special about their AI or because they have a nice coding to the way they pack up. It's just a staminaless infected that will chase you...until you cross a bush.

And I dont know whats wrong with the melee fight. Sure it was stupid, but hell, at least zombies react here to stuff that hits them, most of the time.

Yes, and it makes it feel more like a 'I sure would be fucked if zombies actually attacked' instead of 'I have an automatic weapon and will mow down zombies without anyone noticing I'm firing a gun in the middle of a town'.

I didn't play DayZ for that long, because I'm sure the stand alone will fix a lot of the issues with the ARMA engine, but the feeling was more unique than your standard zombie shooter, unlike WarZ.

Yes, and it makes it feel more like a 'I sure would be fucked if zombies actually attacked' instead of 'I have an automatic weapon and will mow down zombies without anyone noticing I'm firing a gun in the middle of a town'.

I didn't play DayZ for that long, because I'm sure the stand alone will fix a lot of the issues with the ARMA engine, but the feeling was more unique than your standard zombie shooter, unlike WarZ.

To be fair, he was using supressed fire with a silencer.

Still, a video alone can't be used as empiric measure of how good a game is, given the alpha status. Dayz would lose in small segments of gameplay, for example when you just turn a corner and your leg goes break mode for no reason. Or when you draw your gun 7 times when regaining consciousness.

legacyzero

Banned
Some people seem to just want to hate this due to it being a DayZ "rip off"

Well........YEAH.. Yeah we do LOL.

Even if that wasn't it, some of the strange design choices (like the horrible sound for instance) make it kinda worth the hate IMO.

I'll wait until after beta until I think about purchase.

We hate because this game rips off the Dayz name but contains none of the qualities that made it special.

No realistic weapons ballistics or damage. No tension or being afraid, no atmosphere.

It looks like a generic ripoff done by a subpar dev in a short amount of time in order to cash in on the Dayz hype.

All I will say is don't get too hyped just look at the devs previous games all crap.

gutabo

Not to be the Defense Force, but all the footage posted above is alpha, so let's not jump the gun and be superficial.

DayZ is alpha too. Talk to anyone that played the mod before hackers ruined it, it was a unique experience. It wasn't perfect at all, but the good more than made up for the bad.

everyone is jumping in without really looking - these guys are going to make bank.

I think this is exactly what this game is about.

Dayz would lose in small segments of gameplay, for example when you just turn a corner and your leg goes break mode for no reason. Or when you draw your gun 7 times when regaining consciousness.

"Not to be the Defense Force, but all the footage posted above is alpha, so let's not jump the gun and be superficial."

Lol at your use of double quotes. Can you explain why it's NOT a rip off? I explained why I think it is a ripoff in a previous message.

Also some good answers from other posters above that have played DayZ a lot.

I don't like that zombies don't seem very threatening. I realize that the zombies in DayZ are limited and have problems (erratic, quick movement, for example) but I like that they come off as a threat and can kill you if you mess up. I'm hoping this will change a bit. I was thinking this was going to be more hardcore like DayZ but I think I was wrong. Could still be good and I plan to continue to follow it.

ZenVolta

How i See it, people saying they are going to wait to hear more from the game are completely in the right. But everyone needs to remember that the game is still Alpha. Im sure the number of zombies, animations and other things are things they are going to be sorting out over the course of the game.

What im mad about is the fact that the game will have a NDA till the end of the month. I know I like to see games like this evolve. The changes from start to finish. Are they changing things based on the community or is it to get an extra buck.

timkunedo

I'm hyped as all hell. Last time i heard there's tons of preorders already and they were setting up new servers to be able to handle the load. Tons of interest so far.

I'm hyped as all hell. Last time i heard there's tons of preorders already and they were setting up new servers to be able to handle the load. Tons of interest so far.

At this point it means nothing. It's entirely based off of the hope that it's a better DayZ and so far all they've shown is Call of WarZ: The Zombie Crysis. It won't be the same game and I imagine everyone who signed up thinking it was going to be like DayZ will be disappointed and drop off real fast.

ZenVolta

At this point it means nothing. It's entirely based off of the hope that it's a better DayZ

Why cant it be "as good as"? All the shit I put up with in dayz was in hope that it would get better. But over all never really did. Hell for a long time part of the Dayz map was so janked up that you couldnt even go to major loot spawns. But since the game was broken to the point where we had every gun and tents respawned items it never really mattered.

I see potential in The WarZ. And maybe DayZ will fix all the bugs and hackers without bringing up new bugs. We wont really know till we all try the game out and see. That goes for both games. Honestly I think there should be room for both games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why cant it be "as good as"?

Because ultimately DayZ is a mod for a 3-year-old game created by one guy, while this is a fully-fledged game and developed from the ground up. If this game is not [miles] better than DayZ then it's fundamentally a bad game.

DTKT

Why cant it be "as good as"? All the shit I put up with in dayz was in hope that it would get better. But over all never really did. Hell for a long time part of the Dayz map was so janked up that you couldnt even go to major loot spawns. But since the game was broken to the point where we had every gun and tents respawned items it never really mattered.

I see potential in The WarZ. And maybe DayZ will fix all the bugs and hackers without bringing up new bugs. We wont really know till we all try the game out and see. That goes for both games. Honestly I think there should be room for both games.

Bohemia - Established studio with a great track record of deep and complicated games. Have shown that they are ready to make different games just because that's what they want.

WarZ Team - Small studio with only 1 game published. Game in question is "okay" but lacks high production values or a consistent vision behind. Long term support has been spotty at best.

Call my cynical but I'm just looking at both teams and being realistic about things.

ZenVolta

Because ultimately DayZ is a mod for a 3-year-old game created by one guy, while this is a fully-fledged game and developed from the ground up. If this game is not [miles] better than DayZ then it's fundamentally a bad game.

Ok, you can hate(or not like) whatever you want. Right now everyones "hate" is blind. Personally im going to go into this thing with high hopes. I want it to be good. Just like I want DayZ stand alone to be good. But at the end of the day Ill know that my hate is legit. A non biased hate, not based on some developer bs videos or my love for another game.

Also to stay on topic. They have a break down on what we can expect tomorrow on their forums. Still no time other than "Sometime Monday" for the download.

Edit: Download will drop "around 2-4 pm." Posted by a Mod on the WarZ forums.

The M.O.B

Honestly I think there should be room for both games.

Ideally this is what I would love to see, but I can't see it. I would love for this to be good...........but without even comparing it to DayZ I don't see much here.

(Without comparing it to DayZ, based on the gameplay videos)
1. Zombie are glitchy, animations on them are awful.
2. Animations in this game are awful in general.
3. Sounds are awful, most sound out of place.
4. Guns have no recoil, seem to require no skill or patience to shoot.
5. Zombies don't seem to respond to gunshots correctly, shooting them with a high powered rifle results in them flopping into the air via ragdoll.........
6. Zombies don't show up when you shoot a high powered rifle in an urban area...
7. Melee combat looks dumb, terrible animations, and terrible zombie reactions to getting hit.
8. When you die, you explode into a pile of loot..............nuff said
9. Doesn't look like they are willing to do anything new.

Again, this is all based on videos. If the finished product fixes the awful animations, terrible guns and melee weapons, sounds, and zombie a.i then maybe I could see myself buying this.

ZenVolta

Again, this is all based on videos. If the finished product fixes the awful animations, terrible guns and melee weapons, sounds, and zombie a.i then maybe I could see myself buying this.

I agree, if thats how you feel then you should wait. Sucks that they have an NDA till the 31st but I guess thats only 15 days out. And no one here is saying anyone HAS to buy the game. Having a firm opinion from some pre alpha videos seems a tad rash. That to me, sounds like a fear of the unknown.

To put this in to perspective. I saw videos of Minecraft and thought it was stupid and had zero interest in the game. But one day a friend was talking about it and I thought "Hell, why not". And im really gald I did. Other wise I might have missed out on an awesome game.

Top Bottom