• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

Hopefully we'll eat some crow later on through the day.

Agreed it's not looking good, I still got my pre-order ready.

It'll take more than a day. As with any game surrounded by hype, you need to give it more time so people who bought in too much can give an honest opinion instead of trying to salvage themselves from being over zealous.

Zen - As much as you believe people's hate is "blind", the same can be said for the hype, especially when this is the second game from a Freemium shop dev. Traditionally their vision is not to make an atmospheric or quality game, but one that has enough of a catch to get people to throw out money. Right now they're just milking all of the DayZ fans because they've all been pining for something more polished.

WarZ has lacked atmosphere from the beginning. DayZ had atmosphere from the get go. You could get over all of the bugs and weird mechanics because the game just oozed atmosphere no matter where you went or what you did.

Isn't it "releasing" today?

There is the Alpha today for Pioneers (people who payed $29.99) and Legends (people who payed $49.99) .

Beta is October 31st for Survivors.

You should be able to download the client today around 3PM or 9 PM eastern. Not sure.

I am a Pioneer and Im looking forward to it. I like zombie games and never got to play DayZ, so it will be a fresh new experience for me.

cripterion

Didn't they say in the QA that they accomodated so that everyone could download without any problems? Can't even load the damn download page. Companies, they never learn...

Bogeypop

Oh you!

Edit: Haha! The Pre-order page must be on a different server because it's still up.

Preorder our game and give us all your money, but you won't be able to download it much less play it!

EDIT: I finally got the download page to show up properly only to find out the client isn't out yet...

Xdrive05

Looking forward to detailed impressions... especially from DayZ vets.

Here's hoping WarZ gets it right, and makes it more accessible at the same time. :)

dubq

Zen - As much as you believe people's hate is "blind", the same can be said for the hype, especially when this is the second game from a Freemium shop dev. Traditionally their vision is not to make an atmospheric or quality game, but one that has enough of a catch to get people to throw out money. Right now they're just milking all of the DayZ fans because they've all been pining for something more polished.

WarZ has lacked atmosphere from the beginning. DayZ had atmosphere from the get go. You could get over all of the bugs and weird mechanics because the game just oozed atmosphere no matter where you went or what you did.

The blind hate for this game at GAF is just at comical levels these days. Honestly, if you hate this game that you've not even played so much, then why are you even in this thread in the first place? You hate it? Fine. Saying so over and over again isn't doing anything for any of us who are legit interested in the game. Move on so that we can discuss this game without someone coming in every 15 minutes to spout off "DUR HUR IT'S WARINC WITH ZOMBIES! IT'S NOT SPESHUL LIKE DAYZ! I DON'T LYKE THE PLACEHOLDER SOUNDZ!!1!"

akaoni

Banned
The game launches in 90 minutes for those who bought the more expensive versions. They're charging money for an alpha that has an NDA on it. It's quite a smart way to make money when you have to sell a product based on hype regardless of the quality, and judging by the forum numbers sitting at like 10k already, it's going to work. I wouldn't be surprised if this game turns a bigger profit in 1 day than War INC has in lifetime profit. I must be some kind of psychopath looking forward to the disappointment of other people.

dubq

The game launches in 90 minutes for those who bought the more expensive versions. They're charging money for an alpha that has an NDA on it. It's quite a smart way to make money when you have to sell a product based on hype regardless of the quality, and judging by the forum numbers sitting at like 10k already, it's going to work. I wouldn't be surprised if this game turns a bigger profit in 1 day than War INC has in lifetime profit. I must be some kind of psychopath looking forward to the disappointment of other people

What's your point? Dust 514 did something similar with their "buy the $20 merc pack and get beta access" thing. In TWZ's case, you're pre-paying for the game when it goes gold (+ some in-game money, private server access and guest keys) and incidentally you get alpha access. I'd say you're less of a psychopath and more of a dumbass. :)

ZenVolta

Zen - As much as you believe people's hate is "blind", the same can be said for the hype

I never said the game would be good. My "hype" is only high in terms of me getting to play it. I wanna know how the game plays, what its doing different. Will the developers listen to the community. The flow of changes. All I was saying is the game could be good. Its all about the gameplay for me.

TommyT

What's your point? Dust 514 did something similar with their "buy the $20 merc pack and get beta access" thing. In TWZ's case, you're pre-paying for the game when it goes gold (+ some in-game money, private server access and guest keys) and incidentally you get alpha access. I'd say you're less of a psychopath and more of a dumbass. :)

I'd imagine that the point is you can't give impressions (yet) about the product you bought*. Could lead to such things as the devs talking about how many hours are logged, how much people are playing, how much they "enjoy" it yet no one can put any real value on those numbers because you can't share feedback. I'm not saying that having an NDA on this is good or bad, just postulating the reasoning why it was mentioned and bolded.

edit: *I'll clarify a bit as that was purposely rather loose on the definition. I understand you're not buying the product insomuch that you've paid your money to have access to play this early build. So the point still remains, you've paid money for something you can't give impressions on.

dubq

It's really no different than any other MMO game I've pre-ordered and then been given beta access to (plus an NDA). I'm paying for the final "released" product, not the beta access.

Jerrod

Regardless of a NDA or not people should post videos/streams. I loved DayZ when it was good and I am very interested in this game but I'm not about to drop some dough without some user impressions and gameplay vids (the stuff already released is not enough and could have easily been faked/scripted/preplanned). If this game is as good as it is made out to be and I get to see some streams tonight then I will definitely buy it tomorrow.

dubq

Release updated to 3PM PST. Shit happens. Works for me, though, as I get home from work at about that time.. :p

ZenVolta

Release updated to 3PM PST. Shit happens. Works for me, though, as I get home from work at about that time.. :p

These servers are going to get zerged hard. Happens every time. But they said they dont mind free distribution. So maybe someone will get a Torrent before the site melts lol

akaoni

Banned

Was Dust514 an alpha and did it have an NDA on it? CCP actually have released a competent product before in the form of Eve Online. We could still talk about charging money to access the product at alpha stage, as Dust514 doing the same wouldn't make it fine.

On the other hand we have War Z, developed by people with virtually no positive product history to speak of. This new product they have is for the most part a full modification of their past product which was terrible and will thus War Z will retain most of the obtrusive poor elements of that game. I could reserve judgement if they had never released a game before + this was actually an entirely new game, or they had something worth talking about in their history, but I've played War INC and I've seen this game in (scripted) motion.

Unless I'm misinformed, the NDA will only last a few weeks. Why do they need an NDA when the game is effectively released to the public and why such a short NDA? Is the game suddenly going to jump from alpha to beta status in 2 weeks? My understanding of these terms would say the possibility is otherwise but they are effectively saying this is the case. For me it's like having an NDA on your pre-launch. From my experience NDA is used when the game is in a early-ish state and exclusive to the press and a relatively small number of lucky individuals so just what purpose is this NDA going to serve. Those guest passes you speak of do not work for another few weeks as far as I know, probably when the NDA is already over. I just cannot fathom why they need an NDA at this stage other than to grab as many 'uninformed' purchases as possible.

Having just watched the 'gameplay' again I felt it looked like it would play more like Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City than Day Z, and that's not what the majority of people interested in the game are hoping for.

Free beans for anyone who can find me the wikipedia page for War INC or the developers.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
Was a pretty big DayZ fan, although the bad UI, bad AI, pathing and the overall jankiness really put me off, not to mention the hackers and deathmatch mentality.
Was really tempted to preorder last night; but decided to see what the alpha impressions were. I'm digging most of the features to promote cooperation, and the UI, while a bit consoley for my taste; are easily preferable to DayZ.

I'm just hoping that zombies still pose a serious threat, if not through speed, then numbers and power; and that the game can match the tension and atmosphere of DayZ. (If not in alpha, then through eventual design changes and fixes)
Can't say I share the weirdly aggressive stance against the game that some in this thread seem to have. Figure I should at least give the game a chance to prove itself in the next few weeks.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
Can't see how they'd even identify your account from videos/screenshots, unless they plaster your email address all over the screen a la GW2 beta.
Otherwise you could probably just blot out any incriminating info. Your risk to take, though.

ZenVolta

Well just wondering If I break NDA can they take my game away I already paid for, how does that work?

They can fine you. The NDA is a agreement that will hold up in court. Dunno if it would go that far though. Almost all online services have some agreement to them, from xboxlive to psn and steam. If you break that contract by whatever terms they have listed then they can take whatever action they feel is appropriate.

Overall if you post a video to youtube or live stream it and they find out then they can have it taken down. Thats the most common action anyway.

akaoni

Banned
Well just wondering If I break NDA can they take my game away I already paid for, how does that work?

It's account based I'm guessing and if they can track who you are based on actions from your footage/images you can probably say bye-bye if they decide to take the time. You're safe if you're only posting about it, just don't use the same usernames/contact information while doing so if you insist on being obsessive about it. More importantly if they do their job with the NDA don't expect any gaming website write-ups or footage. Does GAF have a stance on an NDA of this kind with regards to posting?

Sykane

Not to sound like a jerk, but if you think that NDA is gonna hold up on a game that you can pay to have access to then your crazy. People break NDAs on games that are only in private alpha testing and only a select few have access. People will just create accounts with false info and post screens, videos etc. If companies can't stop that with less than a thousand people having access, there is no way they are gonna stop it with thousands playing and anyone with $20/$30 able to get access.

akaoni

Banned
Not to sound like a jerk, but if you think that NDA is gonna hold up on a game that you can pay to have access to then your crazy. People break NDAs on games that are only in private alpha testing and only a select few have access. People will just create accounts with false info and post screens, videos etc. If companies can't stop that with less than a thousand people having access, there is no way they are gonna stop it with thousands playing and anyone with $20/$30 able to get access.

I don't doubt any side talk from people who have played the game or some edited stills, but putting video footage up of this game is just going to get taken down. Worst case scenario would be they have some method to obtain user information from any form of image capture. I don't believe the NDA is going to be the end-all for talk about the game, not for a second but for the most part I think it will do the job. If you could provide me a stream link I would greatly appreciate it.

On the note of streams, a - what seemed to be - profilic forum user decided to hunt down a number of streams that had detailed plans about streaming the game providing the links in a thread they created, including one that was going to play the game as part of a marathon for charity (from what I could understand quite briefly). The moderators decided to sticky that thread. So yeah, no streams or video uploads for the most part - Youtube and Twitch in particular are quite happy to take them down swiftly.

In the end I want to see talk and footage of this game, and I know people will, but no amount of me being a hardass would remove the inconvenience for finding that with an NDA.

YOU AGREE NOT TO use third party image and video capture software to capture the output of the Software as audio, video and/or still image files for personal or profit use, post any information about the game to any internet resource, except specially designated ALPHA TEST forum at http://forum.thewarz.com until November 5th, 2012.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
I'd even go Survivor if I could; but they don't gain access until the 31st. Will probably be getting Pioneer if feedback from other people is positive enough.

NH Apache

Banned
Sad they don't want footage shown. :( Well downloading now.

I'd even go Survivor if I could; but they don't gain access until the 31st. Will probably be getting Pioneer if feedback from other people is positive enough.

Well, their NDA states no info can be posted to any internet resource related to the game, except their alpha forums.

So OG letters (IE post office stuff) is legit? lol. It is weird because there isn't an NDA that you accept by clicking yes.

I'm sure that many other resources will have available information. I do know that usually GAF is pretty strict about NDAs.

KissVibes

Banned
What if those of you playing TheWarZ should join the GAF mumble server and just leave your mics on open? If you make any comments to yourself and people happen to overhear them, what harm could that do?

Edit: People are already streaming.

Bogeypop

do it in email tags...

thanks for the tip. wouldn't have done so otherwise.

On a side note:

War Z Facebook

As promised we are giving out 100 copies of the game for reaching 70k likes! :) Here is the key that will unlock your copy of the game MZLU-Z9EP-PEXX-6ZDK this key will be redeemable on Oct. 15 when we launch alpha. The first 100 people to redeem will have a copy of the game for free! :) Once we hit 80k we will give out even more!

the thing is though the code doesn't work without the valid email address which no one knows what it is.

akaoni

Banned
I am scouring the popular streaming sites for a brave soul... I will report back if I find anything.

Good work soldier! I was monitoring 2 channels on Twitch but both backed down in the end. Apparantly according to this other channel I'm keeping tabs on the chat stated there was a Twitch admin telling people not to stream. -------

As I was typing this post;
Admin hassan: You know that your not allowed to stream this until Nov 5th right?
Admin hassan: I'm a Twitch.TV Gaming Administrator.

you're* by the way.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The blind hate for this game at GAF is just at comical levels these days. Honestly, if you hate this game that you've not even played so much, then why are you even in this thread in the first place? You hate it? Fine. Saying so over and over again isn't doing anything for any of us who are legit interested in the game. Move on so that we can discuss this game without someone coming in every 15 minutes to spout off "DUR HUR IT'S WARINC WITH ZOMBIES! IT'S NOT SPESHUL LIKE DAYZ! I DON'T LYKE THE PLACEHOLDER SOUNDZ!!1!"

orly

Top Bottom