• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That is really really dumb.

Nah, it's actually really smart: Play smart or wait a day to get back into the action. (Oh, wait, for subscribers: Yeah that's kinda dumb.)

Problem is you know there's going to be trolls that TK people and thus the 24 hour timer is going to be a kiss of death for the game's community because of it.

I'm not sure, but I think I read something like if you are not playing Hardcore and your character dies, it will lock that character for 24hs or something.

You could still play with other characters though :p

HomShaBom

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's true, I googled it and it shows some people saying the same thing on the forum in the search result, but the actual forum is down atm.
edit: You have 4/5 slots, that slot is locked for 24 hrs. Sucks if you die quickly I guess.

KissVibes

Banned
You have 5 character slots and can delete characters at any time. As such, if you die you can start a new duder or delete your old one and replace it.

That only applies if you're playing on normal BTW. Hardcore folks get to respawn.

I'm pretty sure it applies to each character, not each account.

Problem is, if there's only 1 character slot without paying, you're never going to see large amounts of people get into the game.

XxCGSxX

thanks for the tip. wouldn't have done so otherwise.

On a side note:

War Z Facebook

As promised we are giving out 100 copies of the game for reaching 70k likes! :) Here is the key that will unlock your copy of the game MZLU-Z9EP-PEXX-6ZDK this key will be redeemable on Oct. 15 when we launch alpha. The first 100 people to redeem will have a copy of the game for free! :) Once we hit 80k we will give out even more!

the thing is though the code doesn't work without the valid email address which no one knows what it is.
DETECTIVE GAF ASSEMBLE *PLEASE* :p

NH Apache

Banned
The forums are getting slammed right now and I can't even create a user name for the site there. I really want to know some info about this game.

From what I'm understanding from the above, Hardcore is more like Dayz in that when you die, you lose everything.

On normal, it seems like you could break the economy pretty easy.

Are there separate servers for the difficulties?

OatmealMu

The perils of applying the F2P model to a game that features perma-death. Having five slots to an account in, say, Vindictus is acceptable. In a game styled after Day Z, however, you gots yourself some problems. It's oh-so-easy to burn through characters in Day Z. Between zombies, bandits, and survivors death is always around the corner. If The War Z is shooting for an extremely oppressing and hostile atmosphere, I don't see how there won't issues with the 24-hour account lock.

akaoni

Banned
Found this stream; --------------

Before it gets taken down.

EDIT: Beaten!

bgeorge: If you do not stop, I will be forced to close your channel.

Admin already. Unfortunately the host is a Chinese user who possibly doesn't understand.

EDIT: And it's gone after all of 3-5 minutes?

The perils of applying the F2P model to a game that features perma-death. Having five slots to an account in, say, Vindictus is acceptable. In a game styled after Day Z, however, you gots yourself some problems. It's oh-so-easy to burn through characters in Day Z. Between zombies, bandits, and survivors death is always around the corner. If The War Z is shooting for an extremely oppressing and hostile atmosphere, I don't see how there won't issues with the 24-hour account lock.

This game is not F2P.

It's like Guild Wars 2. Pay once to get it. No subscrition fees.

KissVibes

Banned

Well, it's a good thing that 24 hour lock only applies to baby mode and not actual mode people will be playing.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
I read the FAQ from a few days back; my understanding is this:

Normal Mode: You get 5 different characters to build up. (You can eventually learn various skills, etc.) When you die on a character, the dead character is locked for 24 hours. (and I believe you lose all your items.) You are free to use one of your other characters, or start a Hardcore character, which is perma-death. (no time limits on Hardcore character.) After 24 hours, you can respawn as your original guy, with all his skills and reputation intact.

Hardcore mode: You die, you lose everything, you can start a new character from scratch.

There are no Hardcore or Normal servers, they inhabit the same servers.

You are not forced to pay money when you die, pretty sure that is BS.

KKRT00

You will have character lock only normal mode, on HC You character will die and You will be able to start a new one. They said also that You can delete locked characters.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
hmm Dunno if I like the sound of that...

Don't quote me on that, I could be wrong, but I do remember that it is possible for both Hardcore and Normal characters to access the same servers.
I can't remember reading if there are hardcore only servers, but I guess it makes sense to assume that there will be.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So, I'm seeing a lot of people bashing each other about with a flashlight griefing, and not a single zombie.

This game is gonna have the worst of the worst playing it, that's for sure, it'll be griefers paradise and little else IMO.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, saw a zombie... it's AI was awful!, not exactly terrifying, not getting much of a walking dead feel from this, more an evil dead moron-athon.

Bogeypop

They said they were going to be generous with loot spawns in the alpha, but this guy's hardly found a thing. This might be a good sign of the game not spiraling into Deathmatch central when the normal spawn rates are implemented.

gutabo

Why does his character look likes he's holding something but aint got shit?

LOL, I started to watch and the first thing I hear is:

- "why do you think it's entertaining to watch you do nothing?"
- "because it's a new game. a very bad new game."

Also you start with NVGs? LMAO!!!

So tempted to pre-order the 30$ edition to get the Alpha but after just purchasing a new car I need to tame down my spending habits lol.

Will wait for some videos etc to leak :(

Top Bottom