• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

I have a question. Whats the requirement to get past recruit? I have the points, but i need a badge, but dont know the requirements. I see that there are stats next to the award, so are those the requirements. 4 minutes in a warhawk, one vehicle kill, one soldier kill?

Jim

garrickk said:
It helps aiming. Someone said that shooting the assault rifle while crouched actually makes it an effective weapon. I doubt that, but crouching certainly helps.

I doubted it would, but it made a rather huge difference... from a distance beyond what the pistol can hit. If you have some decent cover and a group of enemies heading you way, you can pick them off pretty quickly while in a crouch with the rifle. I had a cluster of 3 - 4 kills a couple of times on the jungle map with it.

Using motion sensing for the Warhawk basically gives you a whole new range of attack control when in hover mode, doesn't it? I didn't realize this until yesterday when I had forgotten to turn the motion sensing off and I suddenly had the most awesome control of air-to-ground fire. Too bad I generally suck at motion controls, as this is clearly how you're supposed to deal with ground troops.

bigfatgameguy said:
I have a question. Whats the requirement to get past recruit? I have the points, but i need a badge, but dont know the requirements. I see that there are stats next to the award, so are those the requirements. 4 minutes in a warhawk, one vehicle kill, one soldier kill?

Yea, I think it's the Warhawk Recruiter achievement. Also, I only had a total score of 60 when I got Airman ranking, even though it says you need a score of 100.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AltogetherAndrews said:
Using motion sensing for the Warhawk basically gives you a whole new range of attack control when in hover mode, doesn't it? I didn't realize this until yesterday when I had forgotten to turn the motion sensing off and I suddenly had the most awesome control of air-to-ground fire. Too bad I generally suck at motion controls, as this is clearly how you're supposed to deal with ground troops.

They should allow to set motion sensing for specific control modes. I'd love to use sticks to fly and tilt to hover for example.

As it is now it's tilt or not for anything.

TTP said:
They should allow to set motion sensing for specific control modes. I'd love to use sticks to fly and tilt to hover for example.

As it is now it's tilt or not for anything.

I made a post on the beta board asking for a hotswap button, but that'll likely never happen. Would be cool though...

VonGak!

Banned
Jim said:
I doubted it would, but it made a rather huge difference... from a distance beyond what the pistol can hit. If you have some decent cover and a group of enemies heading you way, you can pick them off pretty quickly while in a crouch with the rifle. I had a cluster of 3 - 4 kills a couple of times on the jungle map with it.
Jungle map! :eek:

Why haven't I heard of this before? :(

Oni Jazar

Jim said:

Told you guys. It can be effective at the right distance (notably when you're beyond grenade's reach).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VonGak! said:
Jungle map! :eek:

Why haven't I heard of this before? :(
It's not much of a jungle. I think he just means the archipelago map, which is a series of islands. They have palm trees on them and we all know how palm trees = jungle in the videogame world ;)

There's no actual dense jungle though.

Ragnarok10

I definitely think they need to add squads for the sake of controlled voice conversations (ala Resistance). There's no shame in using things that work well for other games.

Also I think they need to add missile locking on ground targets from the warhawk. I know you can lock onto turrets but I think they should add tanks and jeeps. Perhaps to balance this so the warhawks don't become overpowered they would allow only one type of missile to lock on to ground targets. As it is I thinks it's too difficult to destroy tanks and jeeps from the warhawks.

VonGak!

Banned
kaching said:
It's not much of a jungle. I think he just means the archipelago map, which is a series of islands. They have palm trees on them and we all know how palm trees = jungle in the videogame world ;)

There's no actual dense jungle though.

Awww, it would have had been neat as coverage from Warhawks and a fun place to lure tanks into.

But thanks for bothering to answer. :)

Jim

VonGak! said:
Awww, it would have had been neat as coverage from Warhawks and a fun place to lure tanks into.

But thanks for bothering to answer. :)

Sorry, it was just an easy way to describe it. It's pretty jungley-looking when you start out on foot for the first time, but it's still a tropical themed map of sorts

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So its like 10 o clock pacific now, i take it there was no patch or anything was there?

Edit, well if they fixed anything it sure as hell wasnt with the client.
Theres more SCEA servers up now and big shocker they are all full.

VonGak!

Banned
Jim said:
Sorry, it was just an easy way to describe it. It's pretty jungle-looking when you start out on foot for the first time, but it's still a tropical themed map of sorts

:) Not your fault that I get carried away so easily.

captive said:
So its like 10 o clock pacific now, i take it there was no patch or anything was there?

Edit, well if they fixed anything it sure as hell wasnt with the client.
Theres more SCEA servers up now and big shocker they are all full.

Are there ever any openings on the SCEA servers? I have refreshed for 30 minutes before trying to get into one to no avail. As a matter of fact, I have not been able to get onto one ranked server yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I haven't really taken the time to talk about what I think of the game in it's beta form so far since I haven't had a lot of time to play up to this point and freezes have further cut up that time. But tropical storm Barry gave me an excuse to go on a 4 hr binge yesterday and with only a couple of freezes during that time, it was relatively uninterrupted.

This game is wild and I love it. The kind of encounters you get into are all over the place and really do achieve what Jobe has been talking about in terms of creating a fast-action arcade lovechild of the UT and BF series. I wish I was a better pilot but I don't mind just hoofing it across the varied terrain either...or driving a tank off a cliff at full speed and somehow managing a lucky shot to blow someone in a jeep to smithereens on the way down, as debris rains from a battle in the sky above. Fortunes can turn so quickly because everyone has a fighting chance if you know what you're doing whether on foot, in a vehicle or in the air. This is exactly the kind of free-range fun I expected from Incog coming off their PS2 projects and they haven't disappointed. As soon as they clear up the freezing problems, I can see myself sinking too many late nights into this game.

I'd probably buy the game even if they priced it towards $50 but I do hope it's more like $30. The whole 25 maps thing really only turns out to be 5 large maps subdivided into smaller portions and the lobby interface has a very old-school feel that lacks a few modern niceties. I would've also liked to have seen just a little homage to some of the levels from the original Warhawk and whatever happened to the island level with the airships, first previewed at E3 and GDC last year?

They should probably de-emphasize some of the reference to Chernovans and Eucadians because, without the single player campaign that was planned, those names carry little meaning out of context and they're not exactly easy to remember in battle. Eucadian flag captured? Is that ours or theirs? I just end up having to look at the top right corner of the screen to see whether it's Red or Blue anyway.

garrickk

Dylan Jobe is staying on top of crap.

He he is responding to a guy that had his PS3 freeze and he couldn't reset from the front. I had this happen once - I would hold down the front button and beep at me, but not shut down. Since the HDD wasn't blinking, I felt secure turning it off in the back.
Dylan_Jobe said:
You should be fine resetting your box from the back -- Again, not optimal given our current crashy situation on Firm 1.8 but I've had to do this before on my 1.8 box and everything was fine.

We are working to get everyone a more stable build under 1.8 as quickly as possible.

Dylan_Jobe said:
As always, thank you all for your response and feedback -- even the very, very passionate ones that include images of "the Donald" yelling :) We do pay attention to all posts, review and discuss them with members of the team.

The ranked server issue has been a particularly hot topic recently and, based on your feedback, we have made some initial changes that I wanted to inform everyone about.

Ranked Server Changes:

* If a player/client is removed, kicked, or gets an unexpected network disconnect while playing on a ranked server, that server will persist their stats, points and awards -- even if they had to leave the game for whatever reason. As you all know, stats are posted/recorded to the main database at the end of the round. *Now* at that time all data is posted -- including data for players that left the game unexpectedly. The key here is that players will *no longer* be robbed of their hard earned points, awards or stats!

* Of course there is still one other way that server-admins can ninja a player's hard-earned points and that is to wait until the end of the round, or near the end of the round, and yank their network cable of power-cycle their PS3. Only the biggest of greifers do this but...based on all of your posts, this *does* happen. So...we now track on the main server, a new statistic that is "the number of ranked games hosted that don't complete". This very topic was actually discussed on the forums here and its a good idea. In that same thread, some of you wondered if it would be linked to server name -- thus being very easy to avoid. What we do instead, is track it to the machine and login. If that person hosts too many ranked games that don't finish, their ability to host dedicated games will be disabled.

We know that these to changes will make a big difference but will not fix everything -- we are still debating the best solution for ranked server kick/ban functionality. As soon as we have a decision on what we're going to be doing I'll let all of the BETA testers know.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I said wow. They are really putting a huge effort into making this game work. Props to Incognito.

tha_con

Banned
So I've been seeing more players around with custom things, how exactly do I unlock this stuff? I've seen some pretty awesome warhawks etc, so can anyone tell me how to unlock those?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
tha_con said:
So I've been seeing more players around with custom things, how exactly do I unlock this stuff? I've seen some pretty awesome warhawks etc, so can anyone tell me how to unlock those?

I think it's related to your rank. But you need to play ranked games of course. Which means you gotta be lucky enough not to have the system freeze on you.

tha_con said:

It takes points and awards playing on ranked servers.

tha_con

Banned
TTP said:
I think it's related to your rank. But you need to play ranked games of course. Which means you gotta be lucky enough not to have the system freeze on you.

Huh...I played for like an hour early this morning on SCEA servers with no crashes :) But now that's all said and done, so I guess I just gotta wait for the stats to update to see if I can unlock anything.

captive

Kaching said:
As soon as they clear up the freezing problems, I can see myself sinking too many late nights into this game.
I agree with everything you said.
And if it werent for the freezes i would be playing this game non-stop right now, i love it.

It takes points and awards playing on ranked servers.
Which is why this below just became awesome:
dylan jobe said:
* If a player/client is removed, kicked, or gets an unexpected network disconnect while playing on a ranked server, that server will persist their stats, points and awards -- even if they had to leave the game for whatever reason. As you all know, stats are posted/recorded to the main database at the end of the round. *Now* at that time all data is posted -- including data for players that left the game unexpectedly. The key here is that players will *no longer* be robbed of their hard earned points, awards or stats!
**** YEA!!
Ill finally rank up regardless of whether or not i complete a ranked game.

TTP said:
I said wow. They are really putting a huge effort into making this game work. Props to Incognito.
Ditto

That price must be way off. The retail game will include a BT headset. At $40, that would be like giving away a free game with a BT headset.
Wasnt there going to be two skus, one with the headset and one without the headset + DLC?

Oni Jazar

Arde0 said:
Are there ever any openings on the SCEA servers? I have refreshed for 30 minutes before trying to get into one to no avail. As a matter of fact, I have not been able to get onto one ranked server yet.

I mentioned the same thing in the last page. I have get to get into the SCEA servers.

I can't wait until this game comes out and there are a lot more servers. All this DM and TDM stuff is annoying.

Safe Bet

Banned
Warhawk is a really really great game!!!

I love it so much, I can't think of one single thing I'd change about it.

Great Job Incog!

I hope it does well and grows to have an awesome community of awesome players!

I thank you for giving me the chance to play it.

Love,

Safe Bet

Ploid 3.0

kaching said:
Eucadians Chernovians

I also hated this. I had no idea who's flag was taken, or who's zone was stolen/is decreasing. Need to change from E, or C, to Blue/Red team. Unless we look like aliens, vs Humans in the final version of the game lol but still, that would require human vs alien names.

Ragnarok10

Ploid 3.0 said:
I also hated this. I had no idea who's flag was taken, or who's zone was stolen/is decreasing. Need to change from E, or C, to Blue/Red team. Unless we look like aliens, vs Humans in the final version of the game lol but still, that would require human vs alien names.
At the very least the notifications should be color coordinated by which side they are referring to.

JB1981

Safe Bet said:

Great Job Incog!

Love,

Safe Bet
:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Safe Bet said:

Great Job Incog!

Love,

Safe Bet

This stuff is GOLD.

I will copy this and change this love note for teh gf so I can get out of having to sleep on the couch.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy's version (please do not read on a full stomach or while drinking milk):

Kittonwy said:
You're a really really great girl!!!

I love you so much, I can't think of one single thing I'd change about you.

Great Job you!

I hope our relationship does well and grows to be an awesome relationship of awesome!

I thank you for giving me the chance to love you.

Love,

Your man

Kill me, kill me now.
Indifferent2.gif

captive

Kittonwy said:
This stuff is GOLD.

I will copy this and change this love note for teh gf so I can get out of having to sleep on the couch.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy's version (please do not read on a full stomach or while drinking milk):

Kill me, kill me now.
Indifferent2.gif
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It seems safe bet had quite a turn around on the game though.

Ploid 3.0

He seemed to be very good at the game. Killed me constantly, and others. If he hate it though, I guess he has his reasons. Just tell the devs in the beta forums if you can access them.

Ploid 3.0

I ended up putting up a ranked zones server. I want to level up to flames warhawk but can't get into a ranked game ><.

BTW I can't remember the last time I crashed/froze in warhawk. Only server disconnect and maybe the host took his server down.

JB1981

No more TD, DM games please.

This is why i hate custom games and wished every online game had matchmaking of some type.

calder

Bah, you just start to *really* have fun when the hard freeze hits. :(

The crashing problem is bad, but other than the huge annoyance of having to restart the game I think it's a big reason it's so hard to find servers. We need more ppl to host 24ppl and up games, but it's impossible to just set it to host and run a server overnight or anything as odds are it'll crash in less than an hour anyway.

careksims

Yeah I was wondering where all the GAF rooms went. I think probably waiting for that patch to come in so that way we can play longer :)

Top Bottom