• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

VonGak!

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I was watching some beta videos at stage 6 yesterday. One thing that immediately came to mind was, "WTF is up with these textures??" Will the final game have better textures? The desert stage looked really bad!

Well if the game is less than 1GB and has so many (~25?) maps then there must be some cuts made... or maybe they just haven't finished the shaders for the sand yet? Because IGN wrote something about all the textures having been changed which sounds silly, it must be how they are presented in the game.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Doom_Bringer said:
I was watching some beta videos at stage 6 yesterday. One thing that immediately came to mind was, "WTF is up with these textures??" Will the final game have better textures? The desert stage looked really bad!
As someone who has actually, you know played the game and wasnt watching craptacular compressed, and possibly off screen, videos on stage6, the game is beautiful the textures are fine, especially since you can get into a plane fly way up across the map, get out and be standing under a tree.

captive said:
As someone who has actually, you know played the game and wasnt watching craptacular compressed, and possibly off screen, videos on stage6, the game is beautiful the textures are fine, especially since you can get into a plane fly way up across the map, get out and be standing under a tree.

pics?

captive

TTP said:
I dont think posting pics of this closed beta is safe NDA wise
I wasnt planning on it ;-)

Because i know its Doom_bringer, i could spend hours and hours taking the best possible pictures of Warhawk, and he would find something to talk shit about.
Playing the game in motion its graphics speak for themself.

captive said:
I wasnt planning on it ;-)

Because i know its Doom_bringer, i could spend hours and hours taking the best possible pictures of Warhawk, and he would find something to talk shit about.
Playing the game in motion its graphics speak for themself.

WTF are you talking about? I have been singing praises of this game ever since the IGN unveiling

captive

Doom_Bringer said:
WTF are you talking about? I have been singing praises of this game ever since the IGN unveiling
Then why are you complaining about slightly better than youtube quality videos?

Oh, and considering the scale and scalability of the environments, the texture work is nothing short of phenomenal. And that statement does not have a shred of hyperbole to it, it's really that good. Doom_Bringer being wrong about something, again. What a ****ing surprise.

garrickk

Doom_Bringer said:
Those videos aren't good. In bright areas in particular, the textures are very over-saturated (I don't know how to describe it) and a lot of the detail has been lost. Not a good capture.

Look at some of the high-resolution pictures on various sites. The game looks like that - very fluid and clean in movement. The textures on all maps are equally as good. They aren't first rate but are good.

If someone is going to break the rules, they might as well do it right. Capture high quality footage of a Warhawk screaming past some mountain roads, then dive all the way down under bridges and nearly smash into the waves, ascend to cloud level and then go back down to street level. Land, and explore on foot. Find another Warhawk, dart over to the other side of the gigantzor map, land and explore that area on foot. If that type of seamless scalability doesn't impress, then there is simply something wrong with you.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Had a good set of games over the past couple of hours. Tried hosting, set the limit to 12 players and didn't experience one freeze or disconnect in that time - a record!

Dunno how it might have seemed for anyone playing, though I'm assuming it wasn't too bad considering how often Wasabiking and Safe_Bet managed to own my ass. Did you guys experience any freezes while I was hosting?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mabuza said:
can someone tell me why we have two 360 stickied threads and this isnt stickied?
Does it matter? I'm not having any trouble finding this thread when I want to...you?

Doom_Bringer said:

AltogetherAndrews said:
If someone is going to break the rules, they might as well do it right. Capture high quality footage of a Warhawk screaming past some mountain roads, then dive all the way down under bridges and nearly smash into the waves, ascend to cloud level and then go back down to street level. Land, and explore on foot. Find another Warhawk, dart over to the other side of the gigantzor map, land and explore that area on foot. If that type of seamless scalability doesn't impress, then there is simply something wrong with you.
I know there's no point putting out crappy footage, but at the same time it's hard to capture gaming footage in HD.

theres even a disclaimer
WarHawk BETA PS3 Capture the Flag 5-31-07. Online gameplay footage direct video capture in widescreen 720x480 @ 30 fps.
Plus the guy sucks I've watched both his videos several times. He gets pwn3n

Christopher

This game is SO much fun - I suck so bad, but still I have a blast playing it.

Questions though is there a way to make the aircrafts go faster and how do you lock on enemies? I always notice when I'm in a plane it says missel locked on and there's the end of me...anyone know how?

This game is a blast, invite me to the GAF clan homies - I played with Safe Bet today, but that map was too large to really have fun, I like the smaller one with the destroyed city.

Chris_Russo for the clan leader :). Great game but hard if your not good at this type of genre.

disc

Banned
captive said:

Gotta love sneaking around hovering with a Warhawk and just blasting someone as he's about to take off. Then you start hearing lock on warnings and try to boost away and do all kinds of behaviours to dodge but you know it's too late :)

Love this game.

Christopher

disc said:
Gotta love sneaking around hovering with a Warhawk and just blasting someone as he's about to take off.

Love this game.

This game is heaven for my sound system too...my god the explosions and the depth of the sound when the planes are flying over you too.

Christopher said:

Questions though is there a way to make the aircrafts go faster and how do you lock on enemies? I always notice when I'm in a plane it says missel locked on and there's the end of me...anyone know how?

Double tapping R2 will engage the afterburners, and that's sometimes enough to dodge incoming missiles. As for locking on, that's an automatic process once you get an enemy in your reticle. Hold down the missile fire button to lock on several projectiles at once, and release to fire.

disc

Banned
Christopher said:

This game is a blast, invite me to the GAF clan homies - I played with Safe Bet today, but that map was too large to really have fun, I like the smaller one with the destroyed city.

Chris_Russo for the clan leader :). Great game but hard if your not good at this type of genre.

While in flight mode hold R2 to boost a bit and L2 to brake a bit. You have to use these to stay alive.

garrickk

snack said:
Does crouching help your aim and damage?
It helps aiming. Someone said that shooting the assault rifle while crouched actually makes it an effective weapon. I doubt that, but crouching certainly helps.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AranhaHunter said:
What does CTF stand for?

Carry the food.

Basically you and your partners have to get into the warhawk and make food deliveries. It's kind of bad. :\

BuddyC

TTP said:
I dont think posting pics of this closed beta is safe NDA wise
Has anyone found any concrete details on this NDA? I asked my PR guy and he told me there is no restriction or embargo on coverage, so I'm inclined to think all these mentions of an NDA are just assumptions.

BuddyC said:
Has anyone found any concrete details on this NDA? I asked my PR guy and he told me there is no restriction or embargo on coverage, so I'm inclined to think all these mentions of an NDA are just assumptions.

There's a ruleset posted on the actual beta forum, but there's nothing in the pre-game agreement about it. Which I suppose would imply that there effectively is no NDA in effect outside of the beta forum.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BuddyC said:

If that's the case, I'm updating the thread with lots of new info. :D

Safe Bet

Banned
garrickk said:
It helps aiming. Someone said that shooting the assault rifle while crouched actually makes it an effective weapon. I doubt that, but crouching certainly helps.
The increased accuracy is not worth becoming a sitting duck.

You lose to a jumping + strafe + grenade throwing player everytime...

chubigans said:
If that's the case, I'm updating the thread with lots of new info. :D

As said (before, by others), there's nothing in the pre-game agreement about an NDA, and it'd seem to me as if Sony was really serious about it then that's where you'd find the beta rules. So I guess we're free to talk.

Safe Bet

Banned
kaching said:
Did you guys experience any freezes while I was hosting?
It ran really smooth for me...

PS

Thank you for teaching me to mine the vehicles around the base in CTF games...

I was so pissed when you jumped in my team's tank and blew me to bits right after grabbing the flag... :p

OatmealMu

Those UKLouie videos are just painful to watch. How many times do they need to be completely ineffective in a turret to figure out that maybe, just maybe, they should try something else?

methane47

OatmealMu said:
Those UKLouie videos are just painful to watch. How many times do they need to be completely ineffective in a turret to figure out that maybe, just maybe, they should try something else?

I think the guy just sucks... Because he would get in a turrent.. and just stay there till he dies... Even if nothin is in the air...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
:lol n00b
You're one to talk, acting like you can accurately assess texture detail from a vid that's not direct feed.

Safe Bet said:
Thank you for teaching me to mine the vehicles around the base in CTF games...
I didn't teach you that - I only mined the flags. But mining the vehicles was a brutal tactic...walked right into that too many times.

I was so pissed when you jumped in my team's tank and blew me to bits right after grabbing the flag... :p
Given how many times you had nailed me before that, I can't help but say that was a *very* satisfying kill.

kaching said:
You're one to talk, acting like you can accurately assess texture detail from a vid that's not direct feed.

Quiet you!

I was simply raising a concern! Haven't heard anyone talking about graphics

asclepio_gtr said:

his second gameplay video is pretty nice! I hope they improve the explosions though! I don't like how the debris disappears so quickly :\

I3rand0

Archipelago really could use some kind of water transportation. Although I'm not sure how badly boats or other watercraft would ruin the balance.

Top Bottom