• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The way Rockstar does in-game sprinting has got to change for RDR2.

Released

For GTA, I don't mind it but also probably wouldn't complain if it were gone. I remember missing it in LA Noire though, where you simply hold a button to sprint. It makes the numerous on-foot chase sequences in the game feel really automated and passive to me.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Disagree. Sprinting is meant to be hard work, and it is replicated in what you have to do.

Better this than an imposed limited sprint tank.

Its a holdover from the PS2 era that they have weirdly refused to get rid of. But GTA V sold like 70 million copies so they don't really have to change anything if they don't want to, so Rockstar games will likely have clunky controls forever.

God no.

I hate L3 sprint due to weak muscles, I can't use it.

Hope taping x stay in.

There are options other than "click and hold L3" and "tap X" though. There could be "click L3 once and character runs until stick is no longer pushed."

Could also have a toggle between walk/jog and jog/sprint modes, or cycle through all three. The "click once" method seems like the best way.

GeeTeeCee

I've suddenly got horrible flashbacks of the triathlon from GTAV. Yeah, the x button run can go.

At least they swapped it to a single press of L3 with the first-person view, so they're improving slightly.

Cartho

I think that "controls" in general is what they need to work on. I love GTA V but everything about the controls, from the cover system to the weird way it handles sprinting, feels clunky. It feels like I'm moving a shopping trolley, not a person.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think that "controls" in general is what they need to work on. I love GTA V but everything about the controls, from the cover system to the weird way it handles sprinting, feels clunky. It feels like I'm moving a shopping trolley, not a person.

I still say sprint is fine, but that cover system...ugh.

Rockstar's character controls just feel shitty in general. From the actual control layout (camera control and jogging both require the same thumb), to the way you use those buttons (mashing for movement), to the general feel of the character controls (you feel like you're wading through knee-high water at all times), they just suck. Their games are enjoyable in spite of the controls, but I wish they'd just make a character that didn't feel like they were trying to fight you the whole time.

Monocle

Agreed. Excessive mashing for common actions is stupid in all circumstances.

When Bayonetta has reached the end of a battle and she summons an enormous demonic dragon to chew up and devour the enemy, then fine, OK, I understand that this is a climactic moment that justifies more vigorous inputs. But when I'm simply traveling by foot to get to a destination in an open world title, which I'm going to do hundreds and hundreds of times before I'm done with the game, why should I be forced to decide between wasting my energy or my time?

This is simple design stuff, come on.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah every time I start a GTA game I'm reminded I have to deal with mashing again for hours. They do work on some of the controls, for instance Klebitz in TLAD felt 'tighter' to control than Niko in IV, but I don't get why they stuck with this general control scheme for this long.

I will never stop seeing this as R2D2.

Ok so I saw Rockstar and knew exactly the game he was talking about but still read it as R2D2 and it still made sense to me.

I don't have a problem with mashing to sprint. As OP said, it reflects using physical effort to run faster. It also makes sense that running your fastest will prevent you from doing other actions like shooting.

My only issue is that I'm recovering from an arm issue partly caused by mashing, so I don't know how I personally will tackle mashing to sprint when the time comes.

Mashing A/X to sprint is a terrible idea and it's perplexing that they fixed it in gta v first person mode but then didn't give you the option to have the same sprinting controls for third person.

Click down once on L3 or hold down a face button is what I'd be fine with, although the latter would still make it impossible to turn and sprint without clawing. Rebinding controls would be the best option :)

It's just one of the many issues for why Rockstar's games continue to be outdated. But critics and fans are too kind to their games, so the developer sees no need to improve.

Nev

Banned
I mean, the gameplay in Rockstar games is so clunky and mediocre that it's become sort of a trademark. Sprint is only a part of the problem, they have to redesign everything from scratch and make some actually good TPS controls.

Kleenex didn't invent facial tissues either but that's what millions of people call them anyway.

Yeah and millions of people call it "stamina" or "stamina bar" and won't stop calling it that because Nintendo used the exact same thing with the exact same functionality but called it wheel instead of bar.

I guess people haven't played SotC or any of the other hundreds of games.

Aiming in GTAV is vastly superior to Uncharted, wtf

Lmao.

Crayon

Clapping on buttons is underappreciated. Running in gta feels like running in gta because of the nice rhythmic tapping. And yes it does represent a bit of effort.

I don't support homogenizing gameplay or standardizing controls. As long as their style of sprinting works and they have their reasons they should stick with it.

zkorejo

I agree. I would also appreciate if they make the characters a bit more agile.

R* characters feel heavy and realistic but I would prefer much more smooth and agile movement as opposed to heavy and realistic as it feels a bit clunky.

Tarahiro

I hate button mash controls for anything not just sprinting. I have some issues with my thumbs so I can't actually button mash too much otherwise I strain them really quickly.

I had to ask a friend to help me get past some button mashy QTE's in one of the Naruto games :s

So I am hoping for new sprint controls :)

daninthemix

I realize this sounds like a nitpick, and it is to an extent.

It's not a nitpick - it is psychotic that Rockstar, in 2015, still insist on doing this and I can't for the life of me think why. Immersion? Let me tell you, nothing pulls me out of the experience quicker than mashing the A button to point of RSI.

We have analogue sticks for a reason. Or heck, just let us hold the A button to sprint.

Yeah, that needs to go. In general I don't understand why developers map sprint to anything but L3. It's what players expect, and it's very easy to use.

This is unrelated but personally I think they need to move away from the euphoria driven controls. The game is less responsive than most competing shooters and it needs to be better.

Euphoria gives the games a neat physics engine which allows all of these unscripted interactions to occur, but even games like Watch Dogs 2 achieve similar without sacrificing the players sense of control. We need open world shooters that have gunplay on par with focused action games like Uncharted and Gears of War, and Rockstar games are incredibly far from achieving that.

If Rockstar's open world monopoly is ever surpassed, it'll be by a similar game with better controls and gunplay.

No, keep it. It's good design. Running is exhausting. You should have to "work" for it.

Dragging a human being out of a car against their will is a single button press. Leaping into a military fighter jet and flying it away is as simple as driving a car. Murdering scores of your fellow man: effortless. Carrying dozens of weapons on your person at all times: not even an issue. Why is running the only thing in the game that requires physical effort on the part of the player?

Menome

In this thread:

People who have never gone to the Controller Options in GTAV.

L3-to-sprint is an option. It just defaults to 'X to run'.

SJRB

Gold Member
No, keep it. It's good design. Running is exhausting. You should have to "work" for it.

Not sure what part of "having to work for your character to run" is good game design when it takes place in a huge open world.

Rockstar's handling of sprinting has been mediocre. Both the tapping and the limited distance you can sprint before the character runs out of stamina. There's nothing fun or engaging about it, and during the moments where you actually need it [i.e. escape from police] its mechanics work actively against you, making the whole ordeal needlessly frustrating.

They make a game where escaping the law is a pivital point in its design, yet make escaping [on foot] as cumbersome as possible.

Seyfert

I thought i am the only one who uncomfortable with this. Glad there are many.

Hope RDR2 change it or at least give the option to change it.

The way Rockstar does aiming and shooting compared to Uncharted or The Last of Us needs to change. The way Rockstar does horrible character movement compared to Uncharted or The Lasf of Us needs to change. Basically, a Rockstar world with Uncharted or The Last of Us shooting mechanics and animation would be a GOAT game that I would love to play.

Rockstar shooting mechanics are already much better than Naughty Dog's below-average ones.

finley83

Banned
Absolutely agree. No reason at all why you have to hold A to jog when you could just have walking and jogging on the analogue stick depending on sensitivity. Fundamentally detrimental to my enjoyment of the game to be honest.

That would fit in a horror game where you're a normal or weak person and have to run from enemies where you can mess up. Not in an open world game that is unrealistic, not survivalist, nor hardcore at all.

Breakage

It's meant to add to the immersion. You get tired (from tapping) as your character gets tired (from running). Think of the torture sequence in MGS1 - furiously tapping the circle button helped the player identify with Snake's pain.

Bergerac

The sprinting?!

I think a bigger issue is that the game needs to allow you to keep using simple, Dead Eye level 1 slo mo, if you want to.

The 'Mark and Execute' stopped me from finishing RDR. I had no interest in Dead Eye level 2 or 3.

If they want me to tap again I'll wait for a sale. That shit feels like some last-gen experiment from a time before they figured out what people want.

SomTervo

Totally agreed OP.

I used PS4 accessibility rebinding to swap X and L1 when i played a while back and it was a fucking game changer.

Until i drove in a car, that is...

It's meant to add to the immersion. You get tired (from tapping) as your character gets tired (from running). Think of the torture sequence in MGS1 - furiously tapping the circle button helped the player identify with Snake's pain.

But

1. It prevents you from looking around - something you can absolutely do irl
2. A/X is the worst button for that. As said above, i swapped it to L1 and i still got tired - it was just less awkward
3. It's a game where you can carry 30 arm-sized weapons at once. Being selective with realism is fine as long as you choose the right things to be realistic

EvB

You don't have to mash it that hard, once you are up to full speed it's fairly rhythmic and slow, we aren't talking track and field style button mashing

Iced Arcade

The way Rockstar does aiming and shooting compared to Uncharted or The Last of Us needs to change. The way Rockstar does horrible character movement compared to Uncharted or The Lasf of Us needs to change. Basically, a Rockstar world with Uncharted or The Last of Us shooting mechanics and animation would be a GOAT game that I would love to play.
Comparing open world to closed world.

Dragging a human being out of a car against their will is a single button press. Leaping into a military fighter jet and flying it away is as simple as driving a car. Murdering scores of your fellow man: effortless. Carrying dozens of weapons on your person at all times: not even an issue. Why is running the only thing in the game that requires physical effort on the part of the player?

Heh.

Those examples you mentioned are things we've never done before (presumably). Who knows that pain? but sprinting?! It's only right that we send a message.

The only instance where I think the mash-button-to-sprint mechanic is useful is if we have triathlons, and make the system more analogous and increase the threshold so the faster you mash, the faster you go -- makes for a more tactical affair. But really, I just crave for a Track and Field game again.

antitrop

GTA V has the option to click L3 to sprint, so I don't know why RDR2 wouldnt.

You just have to select Standard FPS control scheme, which you can still use in third-person.

Peroroncino

Valid complaint, I thoroughly agree. Apart from this, I'm also hoping the responsiveness of the character will get better, because since GTA IV all characters feel like mini-tanks, one of the main reasons why I didn't stick with GTA:O, controls and free aiming are awful when compared to other games.

Top Bottom