• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The way Rockstar does in-game sprinting has got to change for RDR2.

N.Grim

The way Rockstar does aiming and shooting compared to Uncharted or The Last of Us needs to change. The way Rockstar does horrible character movement compared to Uncharted or The Lasf of Us needs to change. Basically, a Rockstar world with Uncharted or The Last of Us shooting mechanics and animation would be a GOAT game that I would love to play.
You can't compare linear games with open world

Falcs

Banned
I think it's done to encourage you to use a car/horse/vehicle to travel around, rather than running around everywhere.

Menome

In this thread:

People who have never gone to the Controller Options in GTAV.

L3-to-sprint is an option. It just defaults to 'X to run'.

Maybe if I quote with a .gif, people will actually notice this at the top of the page.

tenor.gif

They should just get rid of the "jog" from holding the button down and replace that with the sprint. When do you ever need to jog?

A stamina system (visual or not) gives a reason to jog. If they want to make walking the default pace that's ok but from there I've always thought tapping to initiate a jog and holding to sprint would be the best option.

Bl@de

Yeah they really need to work on controls and movement. Good thing that they use the typical controls on PC = Hold shift to sprint (or use Capslock for always sprinting) and press Shift to switch between walking and jogging.

Although I seem to remember that GTA V had different control options

Scapegoat

Disagree. Sprinting is meant to be hard work, and it is replicated in what you have to do.

Better this than an imposed limited sprint tank.
This was my assumption as well, it makes a lot of sense design wise. When sprinting in real life you can't really swing your head around 360 degrees to check your blindspots, you're focused on where you're running, so makes sense that it requires you to remove your thumb from the right stick.

Maxey

What does this even mean in this context?

Other open world games have controls and character animation closer to linear TPS games like Uncharted and it works just fine.

Why should GTA be a special case?

BibiMaghoo

You could have both.

Hold the button to sprint until the character gets tired, then have the button mash to allow continuing sprint that correctly reflects the straining it would usually be used for, and allowing the player to continue fast movement without a rest in exchange for effort.

That would be ideal.

Koozek

Yeah they should make it click L3 to sprint with the option of toggling it to hold.
No, no, no. Sprinting on L3/R3 is one of the worst things in gaming, next to having jumping on a face-button in a game like Uncharted for example. I'm glad there's the button-remapping feature on the PS4. Used it in FFXV and U4 to have the most important actions on the shoulder buttons so I can leave both thumbs as much as possible on both sticks for camera-control. Had Jump/Interact on L1/R1 in U4 and it was so much more comfortable to play. Should be the standard or at least available as a button layout option in the game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Aiming in GTAV is vastly superior to Uncharted, wtf

Really? Its God awful and a shame considering they also made May Payne 3.

OT I totally agree. I can't stand mashing a button to sprint.

After Horizon Zero Dawn all the open world game makers need to step it up in the ranged combat and control area. This is no longer an excuse when HZD does it better than a lot of linear shooters.

First Person GTA V solved the button mashing so if they can just do that going forward that would be great. Use the analogue stick to walk or jog and hold down X to sprint. Seems logical to me but I could be wrong.

DavidDesu

The way Rockstar does aiming and shooting compared to Uncharted or The Last of Us needs to change. The way Rockstar does horrible character movement compared to Uncharted or The Lasf of Us needs to change. Basically, a Rockstar world with Uncharted or The Last of Us shooting mechanics and animation would be a GOAT game that I would love to play.

Yep pretty much. In these crucial areas GTAV is pretty awful. I just find the controls not up to the task and movement is clunky as hell.

Yep pretty much. In these crucial areas GTAV is pretty awful. I just find the controls not up to the task and movement is clunky as hell.
I agree sprinting needs a change and the shooting can be improved (better in both Max Payne 3 and Watch Dogs) but I actually like the movement lol. It's a bit clunky yeah but it seems realistic to me.

xviper

i wish all games had the same sprinting as MGS V, amazing controls, it was perfection, some times i don't even order a horse because sprinting is amazing, especially when sprinting at an enemy and punch the shit out of them

All of Rockstar's TPS games control horribly. Even Max Payne 3 (half-decent gunplay does not nullify heinously floaty on-foot controls that plague every single one of their games).

This is probably the one gaming "free pass" that grinds my gears the most: Rockstar are flat-out shithouse at basic world-traversal mechanics – and their implementation of shooting mechanics is just as pedestrian.

It's an annoying pill to swallow with all the 10/10 scores and hyperbolic accolades that get thrown their way; and it's inexcusable in a world of well-controlling TPS titles. I mean, Guerrilla completely schooled them with their first foray into the genre.

Basically, for me, bringing sprinting mechanics up to a modern standard is the least of Rockstar's problems.

Mathieran

Banned
The controls could all around are pretty bad, making it so I just cannot stand playing GTAV. I hope the controls are better for RDR2.

Piers

Zelda stamina wheel needs to be the model going forward.
At least having the stamnia gauge next to the character. I found it very annoying to throw my eyes to the corner of the screen in Souls game to assess stamnia in twitch reaction fights.

SomTervo

No, no, no. Sprinting on L3/R3 is one of the worst things in gaming, next to having jumping on a face-button in a game like Uncharted for example. I'm glad there's the button-remapping feature on the PS4. Used it in FFXV and U4 to have the most important actions on the shoulder buttons so I can leave both thumbs as much as possible on both sticks for camera-control. Had Jump/Interact on L1/R1 in U4 and it was so much more comfortable to play. Should be the standard or at least available as a button layout option in the game.

Yup. Shoulder buttons for sprint are best.

Although R3 is nowhere near as bad as L3.

SomTervo

All of Rockstar's TPS games control horribly. Even Max Payne 3 (half-decent gunplay does not nullify heinously floaty on-foot controls that plague every single one of their games).

This is probably the one gaming "free pass" that grinds my gears the most: Rockstar are flat-out shithouse at basic world-traversal mechanics – and their implementation of shooting mechanics is just as pedestrian.

It's an annoying pill to swallow with all the 10/10 scores and hyperbolic accolades that get thrown their way; and it's inexcusable in a world of well-controlling TPS titles. I mean, Guerrilla completely schooled them with their first foray into the genre.

Basically, for me, bringing sprinting mechanics up to a modern standard is the least of Rockstar's problems.

It's the "animation priority" thing. Looks amazing and sometimes controls ok but the feel of it in general is huge rotation arcs, sluggish speed and turning, imprecision and bumping things constantly.

Watch Dogs 2 is a good example of being better to control (still not perfect) but still having animation priority.

gypsygib

I thought the point was for sprinting to require effort and be somewhat tiresome.

I don't mind it and actually enjoy the walk/jog/sprint mechanics.

Maxey

I thought the point was for sprinting to require effort and be somewhat tiresome.

I don't mind it and actually enjoy the walk/jog/sprint mechanics.
Then why doesn't that logic apply to the rest of the game? I want to actually do a punch motion to punch someone in the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's a video game. Jesus.

No no, it's unrealistic to run forever in a realistic game like Red Dead Redemption.

Partially warp into the fifth dimension and slow down time in order to execute 12 shots in perfect succession is totally okay, though.

LoveCake

I am sorry, how often do people run as the character in Red Dead or GTV, that is what the horse and automobiles are for if distance is involved.

PCGVMPCl.png

"Run for fun?"

Also as others have mentioned the controls can be changed.

I have never found it an issue when I have had the need to run in either R* game, or any other game for that matter.

I would say that clicking the stick is the best option though.

Sounds like a lot of us need elite controllers.

hbkdx12

Truth be told, there's a ton of shit that R* could improve that people give them a pass on simply because of their pedigree.

lol, the hyperbole

Why is it hyperbole? I too find the controls to be insufferable in a way that other people clearly don't but i don't see why that makes it's hyperbolic. I'm not dumping 30+ hrs into a game when the most basic mechanic of just moving around and navigating the world feels cumbersome

Striker

Uncharted and TLOU are okay, but GTA V's aiming (any Rockstar aiming after Max Payne 3) is in the upper echelon of third person shooter single player controls.
The Saints Row games had "hold A/X to sprint" and used normal analog control for movement, pressing further meant your player goes to a light jog. And for shooting it not only had dual wielding, it free aimed and allowed movement while shooting so you aren't in one spot getting pelted from enemies.

Two huge reasons I enjoyed playing those SR games over Rockstar games. Hopefully they do implement something new or modify their system so movement and shooting/gunfights aren't so monotonous and anchored.

jelly

While Rockstar controls, mechanics don't completely blow, they should be far better, be up there with the best, not even a second thought when playing but they aren't and that's not good enough after all this time.

I have no issue with it at all. I liked in gta 3 that how when you completed certain requirements it gave you infinite sprint. They should keep it like that

Lebneney

Banned
GTAV's third person shooter controls are in the same echelon as it's third person sprinting controls.

The Saints Row games had "hold A/X to sprint" and used normal analog control for movement, pressing further meant your player goes to a light jog. And for shooting it not only had dual wielding, it free aimed and allowed movement while shooting so you aren't in one spot getting pelted from enemies.

Two huge reasons I enjoyed playing those SR games over Rockstar games. Hopefully they do implement something new or modify their system so movement and shooting/gunfights aren't so monotonous and anchored.

Arguable, but idk it feels really good. I also really like the Saints Row shooting. SR really does have fantastic control.

BouncyFrag

I'm hoping we get an option to remove the animation/mini cutscenes when skinning animals in RDR2. Far Cry Primal has this option and was a godsend. I'm good with the running.

In the middle of the screen? No thank you.
Amen to that.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Definitely, tapping a button is really outdated. They should have it connected to the controller's motion sensor so you shake the controller up and down to run. That sounds much better.

Top Bottom