• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U is criminally underrated - it's one of the best consoles ever made

You have to be kidding. It had no significant third party support and as a result has gaping genre holes large enough to drive a truck through.

This is a bottom ten console at best. Short lifespan plus no third party support means a completely anemic library...and as the system cost never really came down the cost of entry was absurd given the support.

Wedzi

Banned
I skipped the Wii U but I think about picking one up for cheap every now and again for all the reasons you just listed. Though I really hope Nintendo just ports a majority of the titles over to Switch so I can just skip the console entirely.

Teletraan1

Banned
The games were great despite the console, which is a common problem I have with the last few pieces of hardware Nintendo has released. I found the hardware lacking compared to the competition and the OS to be pretty slow and unresponsive. Nintendo themselves never really delivered on showing off the gimmick and the gimmick itself was only interesting if you liked playing in bed on the small screen. Otherwise it was the same shit as DS, map and inventory screens galore. While I found these handy I don't think they were worth the tradeoff of power/price that was obviously a factor in the Wii U's sales trouble. Had this system come in at a much lower price point at the same specs it would have done a lot better imo. It is generally a bad idea to sell tech products at a premium price for lower specs unless your name is Apple.

AR15mex

The console wasn't bad per-se, but it does lack a lot of QOL that their competitors have remember their competition is the ps4 and xbone not the previous ones.

Beginning with,

-Fast and responsive UI.
-User account system.
-Along with friendcodes system.
-Not able to play blu-rays (mainstream do care about this and with the controller i think it would work great.
-Not able to party chat properly, their first party games lack that, so there is that.
-Their online service sucks overall, in the sense that they don't have dedicated serves, free games, among other stuff.

The list just represents the overall feeling. I do own the console, but sometimes ninty just sucks at designing hardware. The only two games I cared about were smash, bayo, and

One of the worst consoles of all time. Like the reverse Deeamcast, it only had like 3-4 must play exclusives and that was it. Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter, Tropical Freeze and SM3DW. No third party support, garbage online, poor Virtual Console selection for most of its 'life'

I don't regret buying because Monster Hunter with a controller is incredible, but I always thought the console was a pos.

RM8

I loved the gamepad (not necessarily the shape or quality of the controller, but Off TV Play! that was a game changer for me and I wish I could do it with all consoles) but ultimately hardly anyone else did, and it prevented the system from becoming cheaper in time. It has a lot of freaking amazing exclusives, but it might be one of the weakest Nintendo consoles to be honest.

2. The (second?/third) party titles are absolutely impeccable: Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (Greatest platformer of all time), Bayonetta 1/2 (greatest action game(s) ever made), Xenoblade Chronicles X (hoooly shit), Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero (it was good!), Hyrule Warriors, etc...

This is.......odd. All of these are first-party.

Even if you want to exclude those that are first-party developed, you're still only left with Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Starfox, and Hyrule Warriors.

I mean I guess I can sort of see the confusion over Xenoblade and Tropical Freeze (though come on, how long have Retro and Monolith been owned by Nintendo now), I am quite baffled how Splatoon and Pikmin ended up here.

Despite some very good games, it's easily Nintendo's worst home console. I think its software lineup is a bit underrated, but it still pales to other Nintendo consoles, and the console itself is just not a very good product.

I got more than my money's worth out of it, for sure, but it's little more than a solid device that's worth owning as a Nintendo fan.

polychron

I'm always so torn when it comes to the Wii U. I've played some games that I really love on it, (Super Mario 3D world, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD), but I've grown to really dislike some of the hardware choices they made.

The gamepad battery-life is awful, and the quality of the screen was always such that I never wanted to use it unless I had to. The only game I genuinely loved that required the gamepad was Mario Maker, all the other games I loved on Wii U the gamepad always felt super peripheral and unnecessary, to the point that more often than not I ended up using the Wii U Pro pad (which was a genuinely great controller).

I'm really hopeful with the direction they've gone with the switch though. The convertible format seems like the best of both worlds in terms of what it allows in control schemes, and unlike the Wii U Gamepad the screen looks really nice and vibrant. I really hope the switch can end up being the console I wished the Wii U could have been, because although I don't regret getting my Wii U, I can't help but feel like the gamepad as it was held it back far more than it added value.

I'm Wiith U OP
sorry

Amazing library, amazing concept. The execution however leaves a lot to be desired, and some aspects are extremely frustrating (the OS for example is atrociously slow).

Still though, those games GODDAYM. I'll never get rid of my Wii U.

Throw in BC for Gamecube, Wii, and a decent VC and it's just incredible.

Mega

Banned
As much as I like the first party exclusives... it's really not. It has a small library that's arguably lacking even compared to the N64, Gamecube or Wii.

The tablet sucked at launch: chunky, cheap/plasticky, low res-screen, terrible quality screen. The short range of Off-TV play made it almost useless to most owners and the cost of t he tablet itself prevented from prices every really coming down.

The Virtual Console was a disappointment coming from the Wii and should not be touted as a bonus given all its squandered potential and the fact we were forced to rebuy all our purchases. Not to mention the botched visual quality and input lag found in many VC titles (unlike WIi VC).

The Wii U's Wii mode can play both non-emulated GC and Wii, but has terrible PQ compared to the native GC and Wii hardware.

UI/OS: this is the slowest, most cumbersome user interface. Starting up a game not in the quick menu (added long after launch) is a slow process. Downloading a simple patch or DLC is a slow series of screens. Going into Miiverse feels like you're on an old computer waiting for simple screens to load. Hated it.

If you go down the line at look at what other consoles offered, even limiting the discussion to just other Nintendo consoles, Wii U comes out near the bottom. The first party fare from past Nintendo systems is just as good and in many cases better: That includes NES, SNES, N64, GC, etc. You may feel strongly that Wii U edges out past consoles' first-party libraries, but it's not significantly better and with all of the Wii U's other shortcomings, there's no way you can call it one of the best consoles ever.

After a year, I see the Switch easily surpassing the Wii U's limited accomplishments and leaving it in the dust as a failure and mistake on Nintendo's part.

The Wii U had a bunch of unwanted spin-offs (AC: Amiibo Festival etc.), barely touched ports (WW/TP) and over recent years many of the worst entries in their respective series (Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Starfox etc.). It had a shitty gimmick controller which saw so little use that some games turned it off entirely - one which pushed the cost of the console through the roof. It consumed a large portion of your pathetically tiny system memory on a mandatory system update and still had no proper online account system. It had next to no 3rd party support after the first year, the Virtual Console was woefully neglected and it had some absolutely nasty droughts of games.

Everything about the platform was awful and to this day I deeply regret spending money on one, 4 or 5 Nintendo quality games over the entire lifespan of the console cannot salvage what a trainwreck it was.

Gator86

Is there a single bad console released by a major player, if the WiiU isn't one? Whenever I see people talking about how good the WiiU is, I'm just like what is your fucking standard? Yeah, there's a handful of good games on the WiiU but it's overall library is fucking abysmal. People give absurd weight to the top handful of games for a console and ignore the rest. Go on Metacritic and look at the number of games good or above on PS4, Xbone, PS3, 360, Wii, and WiiU. Which are the smallest numbers?

liquidtmd

Banned
It's not even in the Top 5 Nintendo Systems

SNES
DS
Gamecube
Wii
NES

With Mario 64, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark I'm not even sure it beats the N64

It's an OK system but jeez Louise that title is funny

I skipped the Wii U but I think about picking one up for cheap every now and again for all the reasons you just listed. Though I really hope Nintendo just ports a majority of the titles over to Switch so I can just skip the console entirely.

I'd argue now is the best time to dive-in, where we're in that weird changeover period where Switch still has no/not many games, but Wii U stuff is still in supply.

In a year or so Wii U stuff is gonna be nonexistent (and like another poster said the games are gonna be stupid expensive for physical copies).

Unless the switch nails backwards compatibility (unlikely due to cartridge-base and it not being powerful enough to emulate the Wii completely AFAIK), AND has a virtual console library that is superior to Wii U (remains to be seen), then it will be a gamble at best.

I'm Wiith U OP
sorry

Amazing library, amazing concept. The execution however leaves a lot to be desired, and some aspects are extremely frustrating (the OS for example is atrociously slow).

Still though, those games GODDAYM. I'll never get rid of my Wii U.

Throw in BC for Gamecube, Wii, and a decent VC and it's just incredible.
maDhNY1.gif

This is.......odd. All of these are first-party.

Even if you want to exclude those that are first-party developed, you're still only left with Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Starfox, and Hyrule Warriors.

I mean I guess I can sort of see the confusion over Xenoblade and Tropical Freeze (though come on, how long have Retro and Monolith been owned by Nintendo now), I am quite baffled how Splatoon and Pikmin ended up here.

I am not a big Nintendo guy (last console I had was n64) so I am not up to date on who/how they're doing first/second party titles. I just went with what I knew offhand.

Peltz

OP, yes the Wii U is criminally underrated. But no, it's not one of the best consoles ever made. It didn't really introduce anything new and the Gamepad was kind of an anchor that didn't fit the "Wii" brand concept established in the previous generation.

It was more of a sloppy marriage between the Wii concept and the DS concept. I loved the games, and I even loved the Gamepad at times, but it never felt like Nintendo had a clear vision for what they wanted the hardware to be. So it can't be one of the best consoles ever made because it was never good at stuff that previous consoles couldn't already do.

Off tv play without true portability isn't a good enough concept to justify the design they took.

Opa-Pa

I don't think it's underrated at all.

It's an extremely mediocre console that's widely ignored for it but still has some passionate fans who insist is the best thing ever. Seems like a fair balance, if you ask me.

It's the only Nintendo console I almost regret buying lol.

Well Wikipedia says 700 plus, but I think the number is around 250 actually. Basically way less than PS2 and other consoles of its generation.

I think you are trying to make a point but I don't get it.

In fact the Dreamcast has an incredible lineup in quality and quantity.

royox

If you only like Zelda, Xenoblade, Platinum games and Metroid you only have 4 games to play and hopes crushed waiting for the 5ft.

I got my WiiU for free (long story, won a tournament) and those are the only games I could care getting (and W101 because gaf insisting on How GOOD it was despite the horrible demo).

Amazing console for Nintendo-only players, but for people that wants more it's a dust collector.

antibolo

Banned
Like any Nintendo console it had some good Nintendo games, but that's really all it has going for it.

Apart from that...
- It had an awful, slow system UI. Arguably even worse than the PS3.
- Even Nintendo couldn't figure out what to do with the GamePad. After Nintendo Land and Game & Wario, the only game that really used it well was Mario Maker, way too late in the console's lifespan.
- The third party support became non-existent after the first six months. And unlike the 3DS it had next to no Japanese third party games.

So no, not really.

Jackpot

Banned
It's not for me. In fact for my demographic it is staggeringly bad.

With the WiiU emulator coming out I looked at what games I would want to play and I found: Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and maybe at a push Devil's 3rd. That's it.

If you're not a fan of Nintendo franchises (Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Splatoon) then it is totally bereft of anything you'd want to play.

mojo2

Neo Member
I agree 100%. I love it. Great games and I started to appreciate it even more when my three years old son started to play it. He has tried almost every pad there is and the Gamepad is his choice and easily. MK8 and SM3DW are amazing with the kid.

Of course I bought the Switch day one. We'll get mileage out of Wii U but why wouldnt I jump on Switch too.

Absolutey not. Bad console with some really great gems.

It's like, you find a diamond in a pile of shit. The diamonds are the games, and the console is absolutely the pile of shit.

Instro

Worst first party lineup of any Nintendo console, combined with terrible 3rd party support and minimal 3rd party exclusives. Nope.

Ignoring the bad overpriced hardware.

C.Mongler

Eh, I don't think you could objectively say it's one of the best ever made. I think it fell short on a lot of notes. The amount of must-have, exclusive titles (the ones that are A++, bar-none; not just "pretty good" games) you can count on two hands, arguably with just one hand. The VC was not only a criminal exercise in price gouging, but it was horribly under-utilized too; the Wii U's VC library pales in comparison to what the Wii's had. Yes, it had Wii backwards compatibility, but ultimately, who cares? The Wii is one of the most abundant consoles in existence. Almost everyone who wants one has one, and if you don't, you can walk into almost any Goodwill or pawnshop (or Gamestop even) in the country and walk out with one for less than 20 bucks. It's nice sure, but it's not a selling point. And the UI was not good. It was slow, clunky, convoluted (not minimalist) and dumb.

The Wii U was an okay console with maybe the worst branding/marketing problem of any console (at least mainstream) in existence. There are great Wii U games for sure, and I think it will go down in history as a niche fan favorite for those great games that don't ever see a Switch port, but to say it's one of the best of all time is frankly absurd.

The Hermit

No

I say that as a huge Nintendo fan and I consider the Wii to be their best system yet (the Switch has a strong shot to beat that though, if Nintendo has a better VC plan).

The WiiU is Nintendo's worst console and here are the reasons:

1) It was a terrible Wii sequel, killing the premise build by its predecessor. A worse VC and WiiWare/eShop than its predecessor.

2) it was a stepping stone to the Switch, but the Gamepad had a terrible range for a pseudo-portable.

3) there is absolutely no game that makes a compelling use of the Gamepad. Wonderful 101 and Star Fox tried and failed.

4) it was too expensive for its own good.

5) the 3 best excluive games on the system (Bayonetta 2/Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze/Mario 3D World) had no or gimmicky use of its features.

5) the best game on the system has a better version on the Switch.

It's an objectively bad console by almost every standard. Unless you live under extremely convoluted circumstances, in which it was feasible playing outdated games on some crappy second screen, whenever the endless drought allowed it.

It objectively has the smallest amount of genre and franchise variety of any Nintendo console. If you happen not to like 2D platformers, like half of the library dies.
It objectively has the smallest amount of established IPs changing up their formula (making blocks in NSMB doesn't count, no). Way too much (of the little it had) felt like a straight copy/paste from respective Wii/3DS predecessors.
It objectively has the smallest amount of games with high critical acclaim of any Nintendo console. You don't even get a full page on gamerankings before the first games with a 50% average show up.
It objectively has the smallest amount of 3rd party support on any Nintendo console.

All around terrible and it honestly sold more than it ever deserved. I do not comprehend how you can fuck up this badly after having two machines be the clear market leader.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To me the biggest irony of the Wii U is how one feature - off-screen play - informed the entire premise of Nintendo's next console. In a sense, the Switch is Wii U 2.0.

The Wii U's saving grace, such as it is, is that it played host to a few really elite titles like Pikmin 3, Smash 4, Bayonetta 2, and The Wonderful 101. On the whole though, the console feels like a transitional platform for Nintendo. They had to come to terms with bigger budget console development with larger teams, more assets, and all the complications that came with that.

For myself, I see the console in an overall positive light because I see it as an extension of the Wii itself. It is the literal Wii HD that everyone was talking about for a few years. I still have a large Wii library merged with Wii U exclusive games.

I love mine. I still have so much to play, but I am sort of casual now, as I don't have much time to play. I think Nintendo systems are great for people like me.

UrbanRats

The console is a piece of shit, but it had some good games.

UI was cumbersome, the whole online infrastructure was dated, the gamepad idea was an asinine one that even Nintendo themselves gave up on before finding even ONE good use for it, it was under powered, and the idea of "continue playing from the bathroom on the gamepad" didn't work.

It was an ill conceived piece of dated hardware, with an uninspired design to boot.

...But it had some really good first party games on it.

iMerc

the wii u def has a lot of charm to it.
i think someone else in this thread described it perfectly - it's an ill-conceived console with a surprisingly great (however small) games library of exclusives.
due to the poor market performance of the device, imo it will be a very collectible system to own for retro gamers in the near future.

No, it's one of the worst consoles ever made, that happened to have a ton of great games on it. The console hardware itself is exactly what made the system a failure. The software is the only thing that kept the console afloat.

the software is the "only" reason? what a strange comment to make.
maybe it's a 'internet message board gamer' thing or whatever, but back in my day, software was the PRIMARY reason to purchase a piece of hardware.

Top Bottom