• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U is criminally underrated - it's one of the best consoles ever made

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The wii u lived a short life, but the fact that I can play bayonetta 2 on it is pretty great.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
This has become quite the meme. For the record, I will remember the console as bad conceptually and lacking sufficient content.

UrbanRats

what a strange comment to make.
maybe it's a 'internet message board gamer POV' or something, but back in my day, software was the PRIMARY reason to purchase a piece of hardware.
So hardware designers have no responsibility nor stake in any of it? Most consoles have some very good games on them, doesn't make the design principles behind the wiiu as a console any better.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Worst, most unplayed console I've ever owned.

Bayonetta 2 tax.

It's fairly good if you love every single game that Nintendo makes.

If there are even a percentage of Nintendo games you'd rather skip, it's a very barren console.

This is what happened to me. Bought it for Bayonetta 2 and MK8 and to date those are the only games I have for it along with SM3DW. Also didn't help that Nintendo didn't drop the prices of games I was even remotely interested in until I had lost that interest.

Springy

Look man, I'm not here to talk shit about Wii U, mine has given me plenty of joy, but that subject line ain't right at all.

It's not even up there in 'one of the best Nintendo consoles.'

If you want to include everything emulated (via eShop or otherwise), then sure, but that's a weird argument.

Lothars

Despite some very good games, it's easily Nintendo's worst home console. I think its software lineup is a bit underrated, but it still pales to other Nintendo consoles, and the console itself is just not a very good product.

I got more than my money's worth out of it, for sure, but it's little more than a solid device that's worth owning as a Nintendo fan.
Agreed, It's a very dissapointing Nintendo console with some great games. It's also symptomatic of Nintendo as a company. It's not even close to one of Nintendo's best consoles.

Pineconn

I'm saddened when I see a Wii U software list that excludes Paper Mario: Color Splash. It isn't the TTYD sequel we all want and it has some flaws, but I found it to be a very enjoyable experience. Some parts of the game (purple, orange) feel like TTYD chapters. It's such an improved game over Sticker Star.

(Roshambo Temple 8 is inexcusable garbage, though.)

The Hermit

This has become quite the meme. For the record, I will remember the console as bad conceptually and lacking sufficient content.

I think even Nintendo realized that. They focused more on the 3DS than the WiiU, releasing big games like Kid Icarus and porting games like Smash, DCK returns and Xenoblade.

2. The (second?/third) party titles are absolutely impeccable: Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (Greatest platformer of all time), Bayonetta 1/2 (greatest action game(s) ever made), Xenoblade Chronicles X (hoooly shit), Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero (it was good!), Hyrule Warriors, etc...

Huh? Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero aren't second/third-party games. I'd give you Star Fox, maybe, but wtf at the others?

mavo

Banned
I love my Wii U, but no, it only had 2 good years.

But there are people that say the same thing about the gamecube and they say it without shame so power to you OP.

Best system they put out since the gamecube in my opinion. As a primarily PC player I judge a system by exclusives and that makes the Wii U king for me. Over 30 or so exclusive games and 6 multiplatform games all boxed in my collection. The selection right up until the last 12 months of it's life was outstanding while the PS4 and XB1 were still languishing with minimal exclusives and tons of remasters and ports. Thankfully the PS4 is getting out of that rut this year!

Amir0x

Banned
I mean I got Wii U and liked it for what it was (although I rarely ever cared about the screen on the controller), but it was a mediocre system in the full range of things. Lacked broad support in a variety of major genres, was Nintendo at arguably their least innovative for their mainline titles. I loved things like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, but I would easily take Gamecube-era fucking wild and unpredictable Nintendo over whatever...that...was on Wii U.

And Starfox Zero is awful, sorry man. Xenoblade Chronicles X was also a huge downgrade over Xenoblade 1. In the era where things like Witcher 3 are a thing as are significantly superior jRPGs, I thought the game's questing started feeling repetitive extremely early on and I was not interested in the story whatsoever.

I don't really like Wii much to begin with, so the BC wasn't a big sell. And if we count BC toward a system's quality, than PS3 OG is the best system of all time. Which I don't agree with either.

Tropical Freeze was OK and I liked it OK, but I'm not a fan of DKC games and definitely don't think it's a better platformer than Galaxy or Mario 3D World or SMB3 or even Super Meat Boy.

I can't really comment on MK8, I'm good at the games but I still don't like them in comparison to actual competitive racing series. Some of the items are balance killing still. So I can take it or leave the series at this point. Same with SSB, don't like its brand of fighting and can only stomach them when I turn off all items. Much rather the Street Fighter's and Virtua Fighter's of the world, far deeper for my tastes. I don't hold this against Wii U though, just not for me.

Gamecube was the most underrated Nintendo system by far. F-Zero GX is the actual greatest racing game of all time too.

ZeroCoin

Seems way too early for this kind of thread.

1. Doesn't practically every Nintendo console have the 'best' first party games of all time! I'm sure all those franchises will end up having improved versions on the switch. Just because it's the best console to play Splatoon and Mario Kart doesn't mean it will be in 6 months. Will 3D World look quite so amazing when the switch gets Odyssey?

2. List wars? 3rd party support was abysmal. Naming the other 10 well reviewed (not so fast Fox) WiiU games and labeling them 3rd party doesn't really change the facts there.

3. It has a larger VC library than previous versions, and off tv play. Other than that, WiiU VC seems just bad. Every time I play a VC game I wonder how they got away with the quality. Meanwhile, NES classic gets an amazing quality emulator that the WiiU wishes it had.

4. WiiU is great! It plays all those good games for the previous system! You know, the system that even your grandmother had. I'm not going to knock the inclusion of BC on the system, but this is not exactly a high point in the defense of the WiiU and it's quality of games.

5. Personal preference obviously, but there's plenty to dislike here.

My overall impression of the system is that it's better than the sales story tells, but not by a whole lot. I've been slowly picking up games for a few months now, and there's not a whole lot left worth getting. It's solid for 20 (30 if you want to stretch) games, but that's where it ends for me. Ultimately, that's what a console should be judged by.

Before people I agree. It's the most used console in my house, still.

Super Mario 3D World is my favorite Mario title. My family and I put so much time into this game, not only because it was fun, but because it was the best.

I think Nintendo knocked it out of the park with software on the Wii U. Just about every Nintendo game was amazing. It's got the strongest 1st party library for a console I have ever seen.

Wii U is a 10/10 console, imo.

Huh? Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Star Fox Zero aren't second/third-party games. I'd give you Star Fox, maybe, but wtf at the others?

Already addressed this. I considered Nintendo-developed software as first-party and was unaware any of the above were/would be considered 1st party.

I think Nintendo knocked it out of the park with software on the Wii U. Just about every Nintendo game was amazing. It's got the strongest 1st party library for a console I have ever seen.

Wii U is a 10/10 console, imo.

Best system they put out since the gamecube in my opinion. As a primarily PC player I judge a system by exclusives and that makes the Wii U king for me. Over 30 or so exclusive games and 6 multiplatform games all boxed in my collection. The selection right up until the last 12 months of it's life was outstanding while the PS4 and XB1 were still languishing with minimal exclusives and tons of remasters and ports. Thankfully the PS4 is getting out of that rut this year!

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

IMO if you ever missed out on Nintendo games, or want the one console to play them all, Wii U is undoubtedly the best (and only real) option.

LAA

Meh can't agree. Other than it feeling it needed the Wii name (it didn't and was a bad move),
It aimed at the two screen gameplay mechanics which seemed to be dropped after a while, some games did handle it alright, But not revolutionary, and even Nintendos use of it wasn't always good, pikmin 3 being the worst to me. Wanting me to stand my gamepad next to the TV, and monitor both.

The library did have gems of course but it didn't get everything I would expect from a Nintendo platform (Metroid :'(, didn't even get a true animal crossing?, and to me didn't get an exclusive new Zelda exactly..) and I don't think I would have recommended a Wii U at launch if I knew what I knew now of it's library.

Best aspect of the Wii U for me was playing off screen, but it was compromised by a terrible screen and the it was a little stuttery, (which the Switch later improved of course).

Then in the later years, I'd turn it on with the gamepad, but.. the gamepad wouldn't connect so I'd have to hard power off the console and try again then it'd be fine and it still does this regularly.

Only other good memory of it looking back was miiverse, and a terrible move on Nintendo's part not continuing it.
Wasn't always on it but from time to time would post screenshots of my achievements and just random doodles ha ha.
Oh the curved discs were cool too. Nice touch.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just picked up a Wii U with SMB, Wooly World, Just Dance, MK8 and the 3D Mario game, forget what it's called (Mario World?)

I got it primarily for my 6 and 4 year old kids. And, I've got to say, without any hyperbole: this console has GOT to be the best console ever for kids. The offscreen stuff is pure magic. My kids can just go over to the stand, pick up the handheld, and jump right into MK8 or whatever without 1) asking anyone to put on the TV (hard for kids) 2) asking for help or instructions with starting the game or 3) wondering how to even play the games. They just figure it out because it's all simple and straightforward.

I can see how for adults the console itself leaves much to be desired.

Gator86

But it had Nintendo games on it so it's great! Who cares about the lame hardware, weak OS, marginalized gimmick, complete lack of 3rd party support, and astoundingly small library in comparison to any other modern console?

Gxgear

This is like GameCube all over again.

The games were great, especially the 3rd parties that were willing to support it.

Cleve

Yeah, can't say I agree at all, and I actually bought it at launch. OS sucked pretty hard until there were several performance patches. I hated the feel of the gamepad, and it was barely more than a gimmick in just about every game.

There were a decent number of good games, but there were really long waits between each one.

There's also a lot of B titles people give high praise to just because Nintendo. Starfox was ass, Xenoblade X was a middling disappointment.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
From an overall technical standpoint I agree, especially compared to the Wii. Its one of the best Nintendo consoles ever made.

IMO, the they shoulda made the gamepad an accessory and kept the Wii Motes.

The Switch took the Gamepad and made it the entire console and bought back the WiiMotes. And made the screen as an input optional. (is it even used in games right now as an input?)

The Gamepad felt forced or not forced enough, if thats even possible.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It's not criminally underrated

You just got more enjoyment out of it than most of us

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm sure most people saw that headline and immediately became confused and disoriented, but hear me out:

1. The Wii U has arguably the best/most accessible first party titles ever: NSMB Wii U, MK8, SSMB4, SM3DW, Mario Maker, WWHD, TPHD, BotW, etc... With the exception of Mario Kart 8's battle mode, all of those are roughly equal if not arguably better than their heralded predecessors (Mario Kart SNES, Melee, Super Mario World, etc..).

I think NSMBU is pretty crummy. Maybe not worse than NSMB Wii, which is also crummy, but certainly worse than every other console 2D Mario. I think Mario Kart 8 is worse than MKWii, MK64, or SMK relative to the time that they were released -- still good, of course, and I love the MKTV/Replay stuff, but not as good as its predecessors. I am not a Smash Bros fan, but my brief impression was that SSB4 didn't hold up to Melee. I liked SM3DW, but not as much as SMG or SM64. WWHD is a pretty good port of an excellent game, but personally that game is not up there with OOT, MM, or ALTTP. Haven't played TPHD or BotW. Mario Maker is a really excellent game and a real standout on the Wii U.

I don't think this makes a strong case for the Wii U. I think everyone knows Nintendo makes some great games, but unless the argument is actually "The Wii U has great games, like every Nintendo system"...

2. The (second?/third) party titles are absolutely impeccable: Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (Greatest platformer of all time), Bayonetta 1/2 (greatest action game(s) ever made), Xenoblade Chronicles X (hoooly shit), Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero (it was good!), Hyrule Warriors, etc...

I think DKCR, once you use a code to disable the waggle controls, is as good or better than DKC:TF. I don't think there's hardly anyone on earth that would offer XCX as being better than XC. I'm not really sure why Pikmin 3 is in this category (or Splatoon, for that matter -- neither are second party). Most people don't like Starfox Zero. I can't speak to Hyrule Warriors or TW101, but my impression is that both were warmly received but not really viewed as classics in aggregate.

3. The virtual console (while much lamented) is still pretty damn awesome. I was playing A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time (switching back and forth using restores) on the gamepad, while using my TV for movies and other stuff.

There's no doubt that playing NES and SNES classics on a tablet in your back yard or whatever is really excellently executed. But the VC release schedule was slower than Wii, third party support of the VC was much worse than Wii, the upgrading price model was not great, and now that both the Wii and Wii U VCs have wound down it's obvious the Wii U VC doesn't hold a candle.

4. Backwards compatibility with the entire Wii library (which also bleeds into some Gamecube games). I get the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, etc, etc...

(Mildly inconvenient backwards compatibility)

5. UI - yes I know it is barebones and simplistic, but it gets the job done and even my 3 year old daughter knows how to navigate the system. And dat internet browser... so good.

On the other hand, the UI is slow as hell, even slower than junk-ass $50 set top boxes.

I know a lot of people like to bag on the Wii U, and its' launch and marketing was abysmal, but the system is so good.

I really don't think the problem was the marketing. This fantasy parallel world where everyone wanted a Wii U but they were confused and thought it was a peripheral for the Wii, so they didn't buy it, because they were still using their Wiis, and then I guess after the first Christmas aliens abducted all the target audience or something, is not reflected in reality. The Wii U failed because it isn't a good idea. A hugely expensive console whose two main selling points are: 1) It's got a bad version of the tablet you already own (and by the way, tablets themselves were already on the way out as larger smartphones started to eat their lunch), 2) That tablet sort of vaguely enables some sort of multiplayer experience called asymmetric multiplayer but half the games don't support it, please enjoy Nintendoland. Prices never went down because of the design, there was never a killer app, the target audience of the Wii had already moved on to mobile, the home entertainment value of the Wii had already moved to Rokus and smart TVs, there was even less third party support than the Gamecube and Wii... Like, what worked here? This isn't marketing, it's the product.

The best case scenario for the Wii U is that you think Nintendo brought it hard. Which gets you to it being like a GameCube, but much more expensive. And it sold slightly less than the GameCube.

This isn't to say I didn't like the Wii U. I do think many of the above listed games were pretty great. Splatoon isn't my thing but it's an honest to god revelation: A multiplayer-first, (-only really) Nintendo game that actually improves on genre favs like TF2, made by young staff, and it's a new IP with no branding, like WHAT. Earthbound on VC, hey that's cool. Game & Wario Fruit Thief is truly amazing. Nintendoland, while not at all accessible for the median Wii Sports fan, actually has some great modes. Lego City Undercover, although plagued by awful load times, was both a great game and funny. Captain Toad was super. NES Remix was unexpectedly good--I wish they had followed up more on it. I liked Yoshi's Woolly World (another game that suffered from performance issues). I had some great times on my own and with friends, and I'm glad I bought the system. But my case is "The Wii U has some pretty fun stuff on it", not that it's "criminally underrated" or "one of the best consoles ever made".

Radec

If it was that great it would have not been a failure.

Only Nintendo fans bought it. Hell, not even most of them given its market share last gen.

The WiiU is what the Wii should have been, honestly. Unfortunately it probably would have costed $800 to produce if that were the case, and they don't like taking losses like Sony with their $1000 PS3.

Skikkiks

I wish I could be one in the number that says "great games, awful hardware" but even then the games weren't too hot.

It had one game that I actually bought the system off my friend for that delivered for me (
fucking Donkey Kong
), after that the games range from 'good but I'm not having much fun as I used to' (Smash Bros [shoutouts to the 3DS version soaking up the honeymoon period before falling into obsolescence making the Wii U version launch flat], MK8), disappointing (3D World, Hyrule Warriors) or were met with indifference from me (the rest of the lineup)

Because of good trade in deals and nintendo games holding their value, I only have three games for the console now. The other two games I own (Wind Waker HD and Bayonetta 2) I still want to try to play at some point. Beyond that I just don't really care about it at all.

At least it houses my launch Wii's data after the Wii's disc drive broke, so it has that going for it I guess, and I can use it to play Gamecube/Wii games I missed.

ckaneo

What the hell are people talking about when they say the wii u has the best installment of Nintendo Games? It simply has the most recent and best looking ones, but we expect a similar increase for every next iteration.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I completely disagree. I didn't enjoy the exclusives apart from Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8, and I found the second screen to be criminally underutilized throughout the consoles life span. It's probably the console with the most buyers remorse for me, but on the bright side, owning one saved me from having to spend over $500 to play Breath of the Wild.

Rezae

Doomed from the beginning due to the horrible name choice. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of casual consumers see the Switch and think it's the first real Nintendo system since the Wii.

UI was a slog, 3rd party support as low as you can get, and baffling decisions with VC support and general network play.

It had some good games, and arguably a better 1st party line up than the Wii, but I still don't know what they were thinking on so many design/marketing choices.

I wish I could be one in the number that says "great games, awful hardware" but even then the games weren't too hot.

It had one game that I actually bought the system off my friend for that delivered for me (
fucking Donkey Kong
), after that the games range from 'good but I'm not having much fun as I used to' (Smash Bros [shoutouts to the 3DS version soaking up the honeymoon period before falling into obsolescence making the Wii U version launch flat], MK8), disappointing (3D World, Hyrule Warriors) or were met with indifference from me (the rest of the lineup)

Because of good trade in deals and nintendo games holding their value, I only have three games for the console now. The other two games I own (Wind Waker HD and Bayonetta 2) I still want to try to play at some point. Beyond that I just don't really care about it at all.

At least it houses my launch Wii's data after the Wii's disc drive broke, so it has that going for it I guess, and I can use it to play Gamecube/Wii games I missed.

It had a few gems, but as much as I loved it, I wouldn't have called it the best Nintendo console either. The WiiU is pretty much a Splatoon machine in my book. It's the only online shooter that I find myself going back to, not even Overwatch replaced it in my opinion. I know mine will be boxed up for storage once Splatoon 2 arrives.

It is if you only want to play Nintendo games.

I don't even need to start counting the huge amount of Nintendo IP the console has been lacking, since the thing didn't even offer bare basics like an exclusive Zelda when it still lived. WiiU was like the worst choice if you actually like Nintendo games :lol Even more so since the few games it actually got were often totally uninspired. If you played Donkey Kong and New Mario Bros. on Wii, you practically played the WiiU games already (yes, and I've played them all, sadly).

Which, in fairness, is basically every Nintendo console post SNES.

GCN had like exclusivity to the Resident Evil series, bruh. Plus other exclusives and definitive version. While the multiplat situation was far from complete, the GCN offerings were still lightyears ahead of WiiU. Even Wii saw many mid-budget exclusives that were good enough (i.e. truly underrated, unlike WiiU's trash heap of a library). Only WiiU managed to turn the prejudice into reality by literally having no 3rd party support after a couple of months or so.

there are about 25 games worth looking into on wii u that range in quality. I own them all, for what it's worth. a handful of those releases (maybe 10?) are undoubtedly great games, however. Is that worth the price of entry, especially since neither the system or its games have lost value? probably not for most people. But for nintendo heads like myself, or people interested in platformers and local multiplayers games, it definitely features some peaks in those respective categories. I now own a switch, and I do hope they port over some of those must play games, or add a Wii U VC to it or something. I love my Wii U, but I can recognize that it's not a great console at all. So many droughts...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The WiiU is what the Wii should have been, honestly. Unfortunately it probably would have costed $800 to produce if that were the case, and they don't like taking losses like Sony with their $1000 PS3.

I've been saying this ever since the N64 or Gamecube.

Nintendo seems a gen behind with their overall home consoles.

N64 shoulda been the Gamecube (as far as finally going to disc media)
Gamecube shoulda been the Wii.
Wii shoulda been the Wii U.

Yeah and the Switch is what the Wii U should have been, tech evolves at its own pace

Agree.

Skyzard

Banned
It's good if you like playing games handheld like I do, if you can get the range on the gamepad. And if you have other console and gaming systems.

But I think it's pretty great. Especially when you hack it and add Gamecube games too!

Only thing I wished it had was a homebrew to let you stream from PC to the gamepad with ultra low latency.

It wasn't great with how little was out on it while everything else was getting loads of titles, but if you only expected Nintendo games, it delivered those eventually.

Maxinas

Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Smash Bros, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Twilight Princess HD, Winder Waker HD, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame 5, Dankey Kang Tropical Freeze, in order of play time, i spend about 600 hours overall. No regrets, and worth the $220 i spend on a refurbished model 2 years ago.

Strings

Tabata makes great games. Xenoblade Chronicles X had phenomenal writing. The control scheme in Star Fox Zero wasn't terrible.

^^ just a few other hilariously wrong statements while we're throwing them out there :p

Definitely in the top 20.

51198866.jpg

Cess007

This. The mental gymnastics Nintendo fans jump through for this system is impressive. "Actually, having fewer good things is better than more good things" Sounds legit.

I've actually heard people saying this IRL in a serious way. I always thought it was a joke thing to say on the internet

Meh, as much as I love Nintendo games, I think 3rd party titles have been just as if not more impactful to me. So much so, that I completely skipped WiiU and don't feel I've missed any remarkable experiences. I just think a console has to be more well-rounded to be "best console ever".

I already have a few Switch games though and think this is truly the best secondary console once its library builds up.

I liked the Wii U, but not enough to buy one. I love (most) of Nintendo's IPs, but I don't want to buy a console in which I can only play those and only those, especially for how much the Wii U is still going for.

And to be honest, most if not everything felt like a mildly upgraded version of a Wii game. I'd argue Smash Bros was the biggest change, even if just an upgrade of mechanics (and was the only real reason I could've gotten a Wii U, thank god for the 3DS version), but the flagship franchises were either just upgrades from older games (3D World, NSMBU, Zelda Remake, DKTF, Mario Kart) or simply uninteresting, bad or available in other consoles (Star Fox was bad, Smash and MH3U were on 3DS and most if not all third party games that interested me were on PS3 too)

Top Bottom